Posted in music | tour dates on June 14, 2011

X

Much like the Damned (who will perform Damned Damned Damned and The Black Album on their upcoming tour), legendary punk band X will perform all of Los Angeles at some upcoming shows. They'll also host a screening of the classic documentary The Unheard Music when they hit Irving Plaza in NYC on September 30th and October 1st. Tickets for both shows, also available as a 2-day pass, went on Live Nation / Mobile App / Music Geeks presale today (6/14). General sale begins Friday.

Speaking of Los Angeles, the LA band is currently on tour in California where they're playing with the entire original lineup. That includes Exene who announced she was suffering from MS in 2009. That may be partly be because....

Nearly two years later, she reports that she may have been misdiagnosed.

"My doctor doesn't think I have MS anymore. He thought I had a virus, like a killer virus, then he decided I don't have that either. All I do is get tested - blood tests all the time. I go to a different doctor and they tell you something different, go to another one and they'll tell you something different. I've had so many doctors tell me I have MS, then some say I don't ... I don't even care anymore."

Yet she believes her diagnosis was a godsend: "I learned so much about people that are sick, people that are generous, people that share, people that give you advice, people that care about you and love you. It changed my life completely," she says.

"It made me a better person, made me take care of myself, whether I'm sick or I'm not. I've learned that everyone is sick with something. Our immune systems are failing, especially women. I know so many women with fibromyalgia, lupus, MS, cancer -- breast cancer, primarily -- chronic fatigue syndrome, depression ... we're falling apart. We can't do the work of five people."

Cervenka takes vitamins every day, exercises, keeps busy and spends time with her companion Minnie, a four-year-old miniature pincher. She's known she's been sick for a long time, she admits, but given the runaround so many receive from the medical community, she simply tries to tend to herself and not think about it.

"I've taken care of myself my whole life or I wouldn't be alive now. Look at the people who were in the early punk scene or the L.A. scene -- so many have passed away. A lot of that was misfortune and accidents, and some of it was just youth, suicide and drugs. The people that are around now that I've grown up with, we take pretty good care of ourselves. I mean we'll go out and have a drink or smoke a cigarette, but we take our vitamins." [OC Register]

Well, that's great news!

John Doe also has some upcoming solo dates, many of which are with Jill Sobule who he's been recording with.

"A Day at the Pass finally captures an ongoing collaboration between Jill Sobule & John Doe. It was funded entirely by their fans & w/ an all-star band, recorded live at The Pass studio on one fine day in Los Angeles.

It's available now as a digital download while a CD version, featuring 2 extra tracks, will be sold exclusively as part of Record Store Day beginning April 16th.

Included in both releases, for the hell of it, is a new garagey rockin' version of the "original" I Kissed a Girl."

You can listen to the CD with all tour dates, below...

X - Los Angeles (music video)

X: The Unheard Music (clip)

X - 2011 TOUR DATES
June 15 The Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, CA
June 16 The Uptown Theatre - Napa, CA
June 17 The Catalyst - Santa Cruz, CA
June 18 The Johnny Cash Festival - Ventura County Fairgrounds - Ventura, CA
Sept 30 Irving Plaza NY, NY
Oct 1 Irving Plaza NY, NY

John Doe -- 2011 Tour Dates
July 02, 2011 Silverado CA Oak Canyon Ranch
July 07, 2011 San Juan Cap, CA The Coach House (with Jill Sobule)
July 08 / 09, 2011 Los Angeles CA McCabes Guitar Shop (with Jill Sobule)
July 10, 2011 San Francisco CA Private Event
July 11, 2011 San Francisco CA Cafe du Nord (with Jill Sobule)
July 13, 2011 Seattle WA Tractor Tavern (with Jill Sobule)
July 14, 2011 Portland OR Alberta Rose Theatre (with Jill Sobule)
Sept. 03 / 04, 2011 East Troy WI Pearl Jam Twenty (with Pearl Jam, etc.)
Sept. 18, 2011 Whittier CA Whittier College / Shannon Center

this post was broken. now fixed.

Posted by brooklynvegan | June 14, 2011 1:42 PM

"Los Angeles" is the greatest.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 1:47 PM

Love X. Don't expect anyone on this board to understand/care what a huge impact they've had on my life. Met Exene a few times; one time I told her how amazing her band was and she grabbed my head, gave me a kiss on the forehead, then walked with me hand in hand to the bar and bought me a shot of Jameson.

Class act.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 1:50 PM

99% of the bozos on this board are too young, or just too plain stupid to appreciate X.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 1:51 PM

I never got X. Never understood why all the fuss. To me, it seemed like they were this band that if you were a music critic and you gave X a bad review, that you'd be banished from the snobby music critic community. Same rule applies to Sonic Youth.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 1:53 PM

1:53 is too stupid to appreciate.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 1:57 PM

is exene broom hilda?

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 1:57 PM

1:57, you're basic my level of intelligence on musical tastes? Perhaps you're the unintelligent one.
I respect that X was able to have a music career and gain the respect that they have. I just never got their music, or why it was considered to be so great. I still stand by my statement that snobby music critics pick bands they like, and put down other people for not agreeing with their (lack of) taste. If that makes me stupid, well then I'll happily be continue to be an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 2:03 PM

basic = basing

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 2:04 PM

X never did anything for me

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 2:08 PM

Listen to the first two X albums - "Los Angeles" and "Wild Gift". That's all you need to know.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 2:12 PM

X is easily among the best ever American bands.

Good news regarding Exene.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 2:13 PM

1:50-so right. she intimidated me at first but having met her a couple of years ago, she is down to earth, very appreciative. Also, to 2:12, Under Big Black Sun is a monster too.

Posted by donn | June 14, 2011 2:18 PM

X is certainly one of the top american bands of the last 40 years. John Does solo work is not to be missed either. The Unheard Music is one of the top music documentries ever... and will be shown during the tour. Also...same tour hitting Asbury Park Sept 25. Yeah love me some X.

Posted by Blag the destroyer | June 14, 2011 2:23 PM

Jill Sobule did a song called "I Kissed A Girl" back in the 90's. Never mind that Katy Perry nonsense, this was where shit was at!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 3:14 PM

See How We Are is actually the best album. Even though Billy was replaced by Dave Alvin at that point, the vocals and writing are much stronger.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 3:41 PM

3:41 ... ?

Um, yeah.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 3:46 PM

Never mind my toilet bowl's nonsense, this was where shit was at!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 3:55 PM

X always did everything for me.

Posted by Señor | June 14, 2011 3:57 PM

Speaking of which, 3:55, I have a stomach ache that won't go away with cramping. Any remedies?

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 4:02 PM

X killed it when they toured with Rollins Band. Too bad Billy Zoom went off his rocker years ago...

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 4:43 PM

presale pass?

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 5:19 PM

x in 2011 sounds exactly like they sounded in 1983.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 6:22 PM

Fucking Billy Zoom is 63! Holy shit!

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 9:47 PM

@6:22 PM, with the exception being that Exene can actually sing on key now. Don't get me wrong, I love her singing both then and now. She started taking voice lessons around "Under The Big Black Sun" and it really changed their sound. For good, but I have to say that the first three albums are on my all time favorites list.

Posted by Fortyver | June 15, 2011 10:08 AM

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PRESALE PASSWORD? GOTTA SEE ME SOME X

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2011 10:13 AM

Love X. Oddly, the first time I ever heard them was on an episode of 21 Jumpstreet. The entire episode had nothing but X. Another Episode was all Suicidal Tendencies.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 9:36 AM

saw them last night @ Irving plaza. still a very tight and exciting band. God bless X. Exene good luck,Billy you're one class act,DJ still one mean drummer and John one of the best to play the bass.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2011 11:27 AM

Agree! I've seen them many times (including in 2009) and last night's show was one of the best I've seen. Usually I don't like when bands perform whole albums in their entirety - but Los Angeles would be a big exception! The only thing that could have made it even better would have been Once Over Twice & Bad Thoughts. Still, no complaints. It was a good, though surprisingly sedate crowd.

Posted by JasonNYC | October 2, 2011 2:44 PM

X is one of my favorite all-time bands,
and I'm not even from L.A.!
I love all their stuff but particularly
the first three LPs, the Live at the Whiskey album
and See How We Are, in many ways, I believe,
is truly their greatest studio album, so
moving, so great, so loud (and soft at times),
it's a masterpiece. My copy of the Rhino
See How We Are deluxe reissue is one of
my most prized audio possessions, and is
still in constant rotation after all these years,
which for me proves it's a masterpiece.
I wasn't able to catch
the Irving Plaza shows this past weekend,
but I would have been there if I could've.
Also highly recommended is the X Beyond And Back
anthology, 2 CDs mixing up hits, rarities,
demos, and live tracks, comes with a great
booklet, well worth the investment.
John Doe's solo stuff is all well worth hearing
as well, as is Exene's, and The Knitters
side project stuff (mostly country to
rockabilly) is great as well.

Posted by Scott from L.I. NY | October 2, 2011 9:37 PM

Saw them tonight in Denver and it was an awesome show! And we got the Once Over Twice, and... a beautiful version of See How We Are. They just sound terrific. To those who say X does nothing for them... I just completely do not understand some significant portion of the human race.

Posted by Barbara | October 9, 2011 3:03 AM

I am 45 years old and fell in love with X when I was a kid in high school.Always hated main stream....still do.I have seen them about 20 times and still love them.Wish I can get out and follow them like I used to but responsibilities suck!anyways they haven't changed still love Johns voice and Scene still kicks asa! Eff all u heaters!

Posted by sandra | September 29, 2012 2:46 AM

Saw X in Philly. Really really really really really liked that show!

Posted by Blye | September 29, 2012 2:53 AM