Posted in music | pictures on July 13, 2011

photos by Vincent Cornelli, words by BV Collective

"Animal Collective killing it in Prospect Park right now! Check out that stage set, we helped make it!" - Prince Rama

"Animal collective at prospect park =
slighty "edgy" version of a frat haus bitchen kegger" - Frankie Rose

"unbelievable set by animal collective
at Prospect Park! @mindblown"
- Wild International

"Every other late comer in this crowd is a hater, but this is best Animal Collective set I've seen in 8 years. #nextlevel" - Max Burke

Animal Collective

Animal Collective, Deakin included, played Celebrate Brooklyn in Prospect Park last night (7/12) with Black Dice and Beta & Hatch (DJ). Looking over a few recent setlists could tip you off that AnCo have been filling the majority of their sets with new songs, and the Prospect Park show was no exception.

Save for "Did You See the Words," "Summertime Clothes," "Brothersport," and "Taste," every track the guys played has yet to be released. This was to the disappointment of some. Village Voice overheard a young woman say, "I thought those guys sang 'My Girls'?" and Vaughn Schoonmaker writes, "What is this song?" I heard mumbled from several fans in their late teens/early 20s. "When are they going to play [insert any one of their earlier song titles here]?" However, many others thought the set was incredible, us and the many clapping and cheering on the top of their lungs included. Yes, they should probably get over themselves and play more hits for those willing to spend $40 a ticket to see them play, but what they did play still sounded great and I guess that makes them pretty punk for not giving a shit (and consistent since it seems to be the same story after every one of their shows).

I wouldn't be surprised if the end result of these new songs is similar to the mixed reactions to Panda Bear's new songs at P4K Fest 2010, which are now on the beloved Tomboy LP. Though unlike the new Panda Bear LP, what we heard in Prospect Park last night was primarly fronted by the voice of Avey Tare.

Speaking of Animal Collective not giving a shit what people think, Black Dice opened for them again. I missed their opening set, but as tweeted, "Twitter makes you think nobody likes Black Dice but they just got huge cheers when Animal Collective thanked them before encore start." What did you think?

Beta ended up being music writer Andy Beta who also DJ'd the Animal Collective afterparty at the Bell House in 2009. More pictures from the whole colorful show and a video below...

Animal Collective

Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes (live at Prospect Park in Brooklyn, 2011)

way too many bros.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 5:49 PM

never enough, bros.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 5:54 PM

I was right next to the guy who yacked during Black Dice and got escorted out. Almost got it all over my shirt. Get it together, dude. Hold your shit.

Party casualties abound.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 5:57 PM

Makes me miss 2004 Animal Collective even more

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 5:59 PM

Chick behind me was smoking incense... SMOKING IT. That's the calibre of people we're dealing with.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:01 PM

every time ive seen these guys they play at least half a show of unrecorded stuff. its what they do.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:03 PM

saw the guy you were talking about or someone else who was out of it - the heat didn't help - show was alot of fun and what better than Summertime Clothes - we lived the song last night :D

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:05 PM

@5:59 agreed. Remember seeing these guys at the Bowery many times in the past and always had a blast. It's a shame they made the transition to the bro side.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:10 PM

of their old songs, they also played 'We Tigers.'

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:19 PM

I hate to say this, but this show sucked.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:21 PM

fat dude that passed out was mad funny

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:23 PM

The song they played before Brother Sport will be the new My Girls. My favorite of the night was the first song of the encore when Panda Bear finally decided to take over lead vocals.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:25 PM

photos look great. I had fun at the show. A little bit of the music was meandering at times but they were trying new things. Which is basically the appeal of AC for me, that they take chances. If people want to just see a band do greatest hits night in and night out, go see KISS.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:26 PM

REALLY disappointed with last night's show. Saw them 2 years ago at prospect park which was AMAZEBALLS. But last night was TERRIBLE. I think there was a problem with the sound. They apologized on stage once or twice for something but couldn't understand what they said. No bass at all. And the vocals - which should have been SOARING were not coming though. The performance I guess was good I guess.

Same with black dice. Poor sound. Saw them at ATP 2 years ago where the sound was super loud. They were way better there.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:43 PM

Sounded great to me. I could hear everything perfectly fine. I was actually impressed by the sound considering it was outside.

I never trust anyone who says "amazeballs."

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:49 PM

"The performance I guess was good I guess."

There's a reassuring statement. Every AC performance seems shrouded in suck ambiguity and is always justified by the same argument, "but they were trying new things."

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:50 PM

haters best beware, when the new album comes out in a few months with Pitchfork giving 9.9 & they play a sold out bandshell next summer with Black Dice opening, you'll all be paying double face value on craigslist

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:52 PM

show was amazing.

talkers sucked.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:59 PM

"I was actually impressed with the sound considering it was outside"

Outside has nothing to do with it. Prospect Park band shell has the best sound in the metro area IMO. Have you ever seen a show at PP before? The sound is amazing... When its working... And last night the sound sucked cock.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:04 PM

talkers ruin everything. shut the fuck up. no one cares about your day!

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:05 PM

great show!!! the people around me were partying hard, it was a great evening...

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:06 PM

good vibes, people having fun and great music... if that bugs you see a shrink...

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:10 PM

Also, stopped wooing and cheering every time there's a second of silence. It's annoying and takes people out of the show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:19 PM

Sounds like there old shows when they weren't know were better

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:20 PM

What the fuck's it going to take to get a setlist somewhere?

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:23 PM

I'd say roughly 35-40% of whoever was there is not really qualified to comment because they were fucking yapping all night. It's like, I have to move around not for the best sightlines, but to try to find a group that's relatively quiet and actually paying attention to the music. I don't understand why you guys even bother to come. Beautiful night (if a little warm), great show, but that kinda ruined it a bit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:26 PM

were there any tweens there? that's what made me cringe at my last AC show.

Posted by Ebeneezer | July 13, 2011 7:36 PM

Effective immediately: the term 'killing it' should be stricken from any future concert review that is based on a hipster band or some conglomeration of hipster bands making up some sort of "festival".

With the type of music that is performed by band(s) and the fashion portrayed by said band and audience, there's no 'it' that gets 'killed', okay?

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:36 PM

Hey guys, did you hear about that one Animal Collective show where they played a bunch of unreleased songs?? I guess it was AMAZEBALLS I guess.

Posted by streetdude | July 13, 2011 7:39 PM

the sound was not that great and the fans at this show were absolutely terrible.

still had a blast though. the guys seem to have these new songs down pat.

here's the setlist with unconfirmed new song titles:

change
frights
we tigers
summertime clothes
(encore)
i'd rather not say no
little kid
taste

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:43 PM

sound sucked

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:50 PM

I thought the sound was probably the way they wanted it. It was echo-y and space-y, just like their records. And to the guy who said there was no bass: really? That surely wasn't the case where I was standing. And where do they put all those seats when they take them out for shows?

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:50 PM

me and my bros loved it...snuck in a bunch of pbr tall boys, smoking joints. don't really remember much of the show, but was pissed they didn't play 'my girls'? what kind of shit is that?? we were all practically screaming it between every song

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:58 PM

Seriously. Where I was standing up fron there was plenty of base. Maybe if some people had spent more time getting a good spot to stand than trying to spark up self-rolled cigarettes, it would have worked out better for them. What was with the smokers at this show? 90% looked like they were smoking their first cigarette. I don't smoke and I thought it was embarassing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:59 PM

well the wind was definitely fucking up the sound but the mix wasn't great either. still great to hear new stuff from both bands

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 8:08 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 8:17 PM

AnCo live in 2009 was unusual for the band because the set list comprised old or recent songs, with only one new one. The Bowery show in January of that year and the ProsPark concert in August were amazing, hands down, and the band played all the hits then. I remember my friends being disappointed when the band played the Seaport (2007) because of all the new songs, which ended up on Strawberry Jam and MPP. We love those songs now.

Posted by Regular reader | July 13, 2011 8:29 PM

"Sound did not suck. Animal Collective just did not know how to play these songs yet. Same thing happened before Strawberry Jam."

That's interesting point. But even the old songs sounded shitty...

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 8:31 PM

7:59 is spot on.
The people complaining are probably the same people that were high/drunk during the entire show or were too busy were taking pictures of their painted faces. The sound was excellent up front and the new songs sounded tight as hell.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 8:38 PM

I have never seen so much hummus in all my life. For a moment I thought I was in lebanon.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 8:52 PM

You guys are such poseurs. They are not a great live band. They never have been. They are great in the studio, where they can capture their ideas and tripped out throughts. Their music is too complex to recreate live.

And besides, they are not a great live band because their audience is filled with poseurs and fauxhemians. Makes every show, including last night, a show in which you want to turn every direction and tell people to shut up.

They were more enjoyable several years ago, before everyone JUST HAD TO SEE THEM PLAY LIVE. Thousands of "fans" have ruined their live shows.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 8:54 PM

Ok im just gonna say first of all if you're seeing animal collective to see them play my girls you maybe shouldnt bother comin to the fukin shows lol even ac once made fun of my girls before, its not a bad song but that would be the last one id want to hear live from them lol. Also to anyone saying smoking and drinking ruined the show, i guess if u got too fucked up that u passed out that qould be true but i qas smoking bowls the whole time and thought it was fucking amazing. The drama on here is hilarious. I thought it was an amazing show personally and had an awesome time.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:11 PM

the problem with the show wasn't the sound but as other people stated the fans. If I wanted to stand in a nightclub full of faggots with faces painted eating ecstasy i would be at the jersey shore not seeing animal collective. Everyone clapped soon as a break in melody was observed and you couldn't even hear half of the transitions in the front. Fuck hipsters, last time I ever see a show in NYC because THE CROWD ALWAYS FUCKING SUCKS.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:14 PM

8:54 Needs to scrub their vagina out more.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:18 PM

Sux ballz.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:20 PM

this was a really chill show and really interesting. new songs are awesome. if you wanted to see the 'hits' you should have seen them on the MPP tour. it was pretty cool to see 6000 people go nuts for a 'feels' track (think of how underground they were when that record came out). prospect park is probably my favorite venue in the city. beautiful and tons of bud being smoked everywhere.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:24 PM

i was there, and i enjoyed it...but this is fair.

"They are great in the studio, where they can capture their ideas and tripped out throughts. Their music is too complex to recreate live."

the rest of that comment is dibble though

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:25 PM

9:14 - got a problem with NYC? The entire city?

we will all gladly chip in and get you a one-way ticket back to Iowa or Boise or wherever you learned to milk a cow.

Or maybe you are from Jersey, which is infinitely worse than the aforementioned cow-towns.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:26 PM

what is this, 1966 and the beatles? ac does a great job live

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:28 PM

sounds like 9:25 is one of the dibbleheads who likes to talk through the show, and check his facebook on his iPhone

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:43 PM

@9:26 yeah I do because the last 10 shows ive seen there douchebags have been on fb/twitter/gabbing on their phone about how awesome the show was without paying attention. So yeah find me a ticket to Iowa bro I bet people at a Merle Haggard show would be 200x more grateful for the experience.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:56 PM

What is the problem with My Girls? You are lucky enough to be at a AC concert. Let the kids scream for it, let the band play it. I have seen them twist on samplers all night, with squealing jungle sounds being the highlight. No vocals to speak of.

Think of the crap you were listening to the last few years, but won't admit it now. We know you gave your Arcade Fire collection to the Bedford Ave Salvation Army.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 10:06 PM

I was in the crowd, and yeah a lot of people were talking, but I managed to eavesdrop. Here is the information I acquired...
1. Animal Collective has a good bass player.
2. Multiple wishes for an LCD reunion.
3. A hummus recipe containing olives.
4. Some girl has a new haircut that makes her look fat.
5. Pita triangles will get stale if you leave them out overnight.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 10:07 PM

Glowstick kids are the worst.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 10:17 PM

6. 10:07 is a cunt.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 10:44 PM

9:24: I agree that was a pretty chill show. Especially when compared to the 2009 Prospect Park shows.

On a scale from 1-10, last night's show was somewhere between a 5.5 and a 6.

2009 Prospect show (1st night): 8

2009 Prospect show (1st night): 9

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 10:48 PM

the show was terrible. i left early, with many others..

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 10:56 PM

Animal Collective are just the best. No question. Since I first saw them at Sin-e 11 years ago they have consistently pushed further and further forward beyond anything else going on. People can either join them or not, it doesn't matter, they are of their own doing and nobody is doing it better.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 10:58 PM

I have loved this band from the moment I heard them circa 2004, but let's face it, they suck live.

I did not get chance to see them until 2007 and I was highly disappointed. I figured they just had an off day.

So I got tix to their last Prospect Park show in 2009. A little better, but still nothing close to the feeling from the albums.

Why the hell did I give them a third chance? Last night was just plain boring. Some bands got it live, and some bands don't. I do not think it is their fault- I truly believe they try hard. But their sound is meant to be perfected in a studio, and not to be heard at an outdoor venue.

Too bad it cost me over $100 to finally realize this.

Posted by Venkman | July 13, 2011 11:30 PM

If you wanted to hear MPP songs, you should've caught them during the Strawberry Jam tour.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 11:40 PM

I thought Animal Collective was pretty amazing last night. Black Dice was completely awful.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 11:57 PM

nothing funnier than a shit ton of people with different opinions all saying LETS FACE IT like there is some unconscious thing we all agree on without realizing it. fuck yall. also new songs are really great. best AC set in a while.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:00 AM

there was plenty of base

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:06 AM

12am is right, we should all face the facts, and realize that the new songs are great. Strike that. The new songs are REALLY great.

Some might even say best AC (Not: atlantic city) set in a while.

Posted by Tito Ortiz | July 14, 2011 12:09 AM

2009 Prospect show (1st night): 8

2009 Prospect show (1st night): 9

2009 Prospect show (1st night): 12

2009 Prospect show (1st night): 6

2009 Prospect show (1st night): 4

2009 Prospect show (1st night): 1

2009 Prospect show (1st night): 7

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:11 AM

"nothing funnier than a shit FACE fuck. also new songs are really great. best AC set in a while."

Fixed

Posted by Bard | July 14, 2011 12:14 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:15 AM

There is something to be said for putting on a good show, and that is NOT what happened here. One thing I have not seen mentioned in this post or the comments is the fact that they had to abort the opening song and restart halfway through. The OPENER!
The stage setup looked like it was created by a 4th grade class, the sound was flat and amateurish (and this was from multiple vantage points around the venue), Avey kept that goddamn vocal effect on his voice even while talking to the crowd between songs, the whole thing was a mess!

And before you get on my case, I knew what to expect coming in. I dig AC's records, and knew that they were all about experimentalism and working out new songs live. I went in expecting a strange, risky, psychedelic experience...and was STILL disappointing. Too bad it cost me $80 for two tix to discover this is a band best enjoyed on your stereo.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:16 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:56 PM

Nice. One of the funnier comments also in a while on here especially since NYC crowds are spoiled, have many rich trust fund kids from NYC who go to every show, and just generally not interested in the shows they attend opting instead to play with their phones etc.

And did someone say at the top of the comments that some idiot was actually smoking incense?? Outdoor shows are always hit or miss with the sound and yes they are more of studio band.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:50 AM

I really like this band when Feels came out. I paid to see them at Webster Hall and boy did I feel dumb. I saw them for Free at the South Street Seaport a few years ago thinking maybe it would be nice to see them out doors and for free, nope. I was wrong, still sucked! These guys don't even know how to play their own songs. You can call them "experimental interpretations" I call it sloppy bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:52 AM

Good show, new songs are surprizingly polished.

And why the fuck should it bother anyone if fans are taking pictures or talking to one another? People like (the collective) you are the bitter scum of the earth. Goddamn elitist snobs.

Posted by Stephen Whitfield | July 14, 2011 1:00 AM

why put vid for summertime clothes? did you read what you written?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:15 AM

12:16 is right. Walked all around the venue trying to get good audio of the songs. Couldn't because the sound was flat or muted or just sloppy. Vocal and bass levels were trash through most of the set.

Oddly the older songs were comprehensible and the levels on those were great. Practice makes perfect. Don't experiment on a $40 benefit concert...

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:52 AM

i feel that i was entitled to something else

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 7:16 AM

Yes bros we must never talk at a rock and roll concert.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 7:49 AM

12:50

those OTHER people at the show don't really care, are rich, and don't deserve to be there

but NOT YOU. you are number one fan

MORON

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:05 AM

#Dumb

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:09 AM

a babe behind me wearing facepaint described their sound as 'so tribal'

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:12 AM

716am gets it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:15 AM

I was at this show and left after Black Dice. The setup was better than I expected from what I anticipated from the crowd. I walked out my park, took off my sweat soaked shirt and saw some BrooklynVegan trustfundarian commentator's girlfriend who stuck around for their set walking out too. She came up to me and said, "I really liked Black Dice. My current boyfriend doesn't. My guy is into Bon Iver, Kanye West and whatever gets above an 8.5 on Pitchfork. I could use a change from that..." We went out for a drink and ended up fucking all night, to which she said she'd never been filled like that or felt so great ever. She rode me and grabbed around my torso and I lifted her up against the wall, rest her on my quads as you could see our body sweat against the walls. She collapsed onto me as I fell backward, got off and began to give me head. She was able to fit both her hands around my 8 inch shaft as she licked its head circularly and went as far down as she could with her mouth. I fingered her until she came, and after that she rode me for another 15 minutes before I pulled out and nutted on her tits. At the end, she said, "I think my gold digging days are done. Money can't buy whatever that just was!"

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:28 AM

It's Bro's, okay? With an apostrophe.

Posted by Regular reader | July 14, 2011 8:29 AM

the prospect park show in '09 was amazing, couldn't make it to this. but looking back at the setlist they played, they really did cover a lot of MPP. then again, they didn't really have a new album they were working on back then.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:31 AM

The atmosphere there looks awesome.I think Animal Collective play pretty good.

Posted by Johny Move | July 14, 2011 8:36 AM

the new songs are sounding amazing. i am glad they do not play to people's bullshit expectations of what a band should do live. love them.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:43 AM

The guy who has no problem with talking and taking pictures during the whole show thought it was a "surprizingly" polished performance.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:44 AM

What I want to know is this: When is the Honey Badger going to join Animal Collective? The Honey Badger doesn't give a shit, he takes what he wants.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:50 AM

lol @ these comments.

Not sure why they decided to play this venue again and not somewhere like CP Summerstage or WBurg Waterfront. It's a logistical hassle for everyone involved-- literally took 4 different trains to get back to Astoria due to MTA crapitude-- not to mention the clowns that run the sound there.

If you didn't like this show based on performance, then you really don't get IT, nor do you have an understanding of how AC work. My personal gripe is that having gotten used to the 3-piece 'sound', the re-addition of Deakin made it sound a little 'crowded' and disorganized-- not to say that I didn't like some of the cool little guitar riffs he was throwing down on a couple of the tunes. That, and even though they kinda extended/(jammed?) a couple sections of some songs, the setlist overall felt very constricted and scripted (obviously, since they're playing the same setlist every night this tour) as opposed to 2009 show where they seemed to let the song take them where it wanted to go rather than vice versa.

Crowd was definintely young-ish, but hey, isn't that what growing a fanbase is all about? The ones that didn't like it, hopefully won't show up next time. Some of you complaining about facepaint,etc. sound like you've never seen a show outside of NYC before aka 'arms-folders'.

All in all, great show, great night, new songs are coming together. Just please, for the love of God, never play PP again.

Oh, and Black Dice sucks. Sorry, they just do. F***ing noise garbage. Might be ok for a soundtrack but nobody wants to hear that shit at a concert

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:05 AM

I agree with most of 9:05's second paragraph and want to add that AC, despite their success in '09, are kind of an accident in terms of popularity and accessibility. They've spent more time making complex, experimental music more so than indie hits like "My Girls" and "Summertime Clothes," so get over it and accept the fact that had it not been for a 9.6 Pitchforker and everything that came with it, they'd probably be playing smaller shows still to an audience that understands what they're trying to do up there on the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:13 AM

Fuck CP Summerstage AND WBurg Waterfront.
So sick of idiots wanting the world to arrive FedEx Overnight at their door. So sick of William-fucks-burg. URRRGHGHGHGHGH

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:20 AM

show was awesome with earplugs... couldn't hear the people talking or singing along. just AnCo in your ears. try it

if you're gonna do drugs, you better know what you're doing. sure it was hot, but i saw way to many casualties

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:31 AM

wheres the "sort-of-setlist"?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:34 AM

9:05: Astoria? You live there, and admit it? your opinion counts for nothing

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:39 AM

"show was awesome with earplugs... couldn't hear the people talking or singing along"

singing along to AC? lol

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:43 AM

8:54- Do you realize the irony of calling people poseurs when your reason for not liking their shows is more people like them now?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:45 AM

So how was Seth? How did he sound.

We're talking about AC, right?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:49 AM

"9:05: Astoria? You live there, and admit it? your opinion counts for nothing

Please go post your views and thoughts (if you can call them that) on Queens Vegan."

Not to speak for 9:05, but Astoria isn't that bad. I mean, I'd sooner admit I was HIV-postive (I'm not though) than say that I lived in Williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:52 AM

"8:54- Do you realize the hypocrisy of calling people poseurs when your reason for not liking their shows is more people like them now?"

Corrected. You people are way too eager to use the term "irony/ironic". It's not even being used correctly in most cases.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:02 AM

What's wrong with Astoria? Sabra Hummus is made there, so it must be a good place.

No, seriously.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_(company)

Posted by Venkman | July 14, 2011 10:04 AM

HAHA bitching about transportation to Prospect Park when you live in overpriced Bushwick/Williamsburg/Astoria. Sorry you got realtor boned.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:09 AM

um, astoria is 80 million times cooler than williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:10 AM

overpriced astoria? do you know anyone who lives there? you can live in a gigantic two-bedroom apartment for the price of a closet in williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:12 AM

I've been throwing around the idea of moving to NYC but after reading comments here endlessly for the past several months, I don't think I'd want to. Sounds like you all have worse than good things to say about it, especially the people and music scene. I hate people as it is, and if my choice is laying low in suburbia where nothing happens and bands rarely pass through vs. moving to a city where a majority of people end up ruining the great things rather than making them enjoyable, I'll choose the former.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:19 AM

"Anyone who thought Black Dice put on a good set is kidding themselves. No Rhythm, or melody = noise, pure noise."

I wasn't diggin' them either. Same feeling when they opened for AC 2 years ago. Every other time I've seen them though, they were awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:19 AM

Sabra is in Astoria huh? That kinda makes sense to me.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:19 AM

Park Slope >>>>>> Astoia >>>>>>> Williamsburg

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:20 AM

I agree with the idea that a lot of people showed up expecting to hear the "hits," which, for all intents and purposes, is not what this current AC tour is about. I could see how some people could be turned off by this (read: people who only like bands that play "hits" they can identify, then talk through the rest of the songs they don't know or care about ), but no one cares about those people, because they suck.

I thought they sounded and played excellently, and the visuals and stage props were an added bonus. There were more then a few little douches and douche-ettes who talked the ENTIRE show. I didn't pay my hard earned $ to hear about your stupid fucking day, or about how you hope they play _____, so that you can finally have a "good time," while you attempt to scream over the band you, me and everyone else there paid to see. If you go to see a band just for the "hits," you're a fucking moron, and should stay far away from good live music and the people who honestly want to see a band for the music, no just the "hits." You should save your $ and listen to them on your iPod or iPhone or whatever; that way, you have more $ to spend on rolling tobacco, little ankle-high leather booties and fedoras, and I can enjoy shows without hearing your insipid, sub-mongoloid blather.

That is all.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:39 AM

10:02- Try again. Irony was used correctly. It would have been hypocritical if the poster was one of the new group of fans that are suddenly coming to the shows. The irony is that only poseurs care if a lot of people like the music they do. Real fans could care less. Try not to hurt yourself figuring out the difference.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:45 AM

You kids were smoking a lot of bad pot. Guess you can't afford decent weed on 70k a year.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:50 AM

regardless who's right, we can all agree that merely pointing out an irony is illuminating. that's what makes hipster fashion and english courses so meaningful. when i realize an irony, i just say to myself, "that's so ironic," then my jaw hangs down a bit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:00 AM

10:50-70K? I guess you missed the posts from the whore on another article that mostly dates guys who make 130K and that she "lol" when people thought that was a lot of money.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:02 AM

AC is the new MGMT. Jammier dribbling instrumental noise and annoying bros in greater attendance.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:14 AM

WHO TOLD BROZ ABOUT ANIMAL COLLECTIVE?!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:27 AM

10:45: Well, then the poster is a "poseur" himself for stating that he doesn't enjoy the live shows, merely because more people like them now. So he DOES care about whether or not other people like them now, in that respect.

This is the way I interpreted it. But this isn't English class, so I'm not gonna make a big deal about it any moreso.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:32 AM

This show was what i expected

When i pay 40 to go see a show out doors in nyc i expect a bit of a dance party. I know who this band is and what their style is but i have to say this put on a show get the people moving and in the end its for the people right? after a while it just gets insulting to be denied a good time for the sake of art and the bands own interests

They played brother sport and went directly into a really shit song is the only way i could describe it. We got blazed right in the transition of brother sport get into the end part and thought they would keep the energy but cut it off there not to be brought back until the encore

I enjoyed the venue and the atmosphere and looking at the funny hipsters the beer and being able to roll a nice j and smoke with out being messed with. these were all positive factors

lack of playing in general and a whole mess (though expected) really un inspired new material was the downfall. Maybe one day i will be playing one of those songs over and over as of tuesday they were not at that level of development. A few were real close I will admit.

In the end I will be back for more expecting experimental new shit but I will take a jammed out classic song centered show all day (i know i know i will keep dreaming).

My conclusion hipsters are afraid of the jam they think hummus is the lords work but its not its the devil in paste form.

Im still going to listen to animal collective cause i still love them!

Posted by BADSAW | July 14, 2011 11:40 AM

It seems there is barely any middle ground here. You either loved the show or hated it.

I'd say it's:

40% loved it
50% hated it
10% eh, it was ok

I'm the third option.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:44 AM

"They're operating on a Robyn-like level of genius right now. Live or in the studio - unfuckingstoppable."

LOL

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:02 PM

"After a while it just gets insulting to be denied a good time for the sake of art and the bands own interests"

Sorry, I'll take art over "party" any day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:05 PM

"Sorry, I'll take art over "party" any day"

Sounds farty.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:19 PM

Show was amazing. about 50% crowd was not.

the sound was great but not loud enough to drown out talking/ stop people from trying. That was the only problem as many people stated. too many people were there to say they saw AC play "their fave song" instead of immerse themselves in the amazing sounds those dudes produce.

Black Dice were awesome. if you aren't diggin them then you can't handle the future . They do sound waayyyy better in a small space though

And a side note, the guy who yacked during black dice was an idiot. Dude was staring me down when i was blazing and so i offered him some and he sucked out the bowl end of the pipe causing him to inhale mad grossness. i proceded to move away from him cause that was reaaallly awkward

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:20 PM

11:32 you fail our English course due your overuse of contractions

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:23 PM

Wow, Animal Collective and Black Dice together? That may have seemed cutting edge in 2003, but it's as edgy a Phish concert now.

That awful, awful Animal Collective cover band wedding video wordlessly sums up this band and its influence now.

And can an someone please tell "Avey Tare" to stay away from the hats? He's in a head-to-head with Pearl Jam's bass player for the ugliest, most ridiculous, and most inappropriate headgear.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:45 PM

This show blew ... where were the guns? where were the curse words? what kind of music is this you kids listen to anyway? what are you all ... on dope?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:46 PM

Cool. I like writing like an Oxford fag anyway!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:49 PM

And I will take hummus over pizza any day. :)

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:59 PM

A Perfect Circle >>> Urge Overkill >>> Animal Collective

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:03 PM

I'll admit that there were plenty of great AC songs I wanted to hear that didnt get played, but how many other bands can offer such an original set that still sounded great. I heard so many people saying that all these songs sounded the same, but I assure you once they do get released everybody's going to love them.

Maybe if a good 50% of the crowd was actually paying attention to the music and not just talking, smoking, and being full of themselves the whole night, they could have enjoyed it to. Unfortunately, it's too much for these hipsters to detach themselves from their ego's for even a moment

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:12 PM

My gosh, some of you all really need to get a job or something to do with your hands. Fucking can't say it in 30-50 words, you fail.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:16 PM

About 75% of these comments are all from the same five people.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:20 PM

About 75% of the people are 90% correct, 25% of the time.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:22 PM

More information on the Avey Tare and his hats:

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:22 PM

did not like the set for the most part. loved the stage and their energy was good, but not good enough to make me stay interested for most of their songs.

Posted by mario | July 14, 2011 1:25 PM

@122...that equals 16.875%

yea, i make 130k+

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:40 PM

For those complaining about talkers at the show, just get ear plugs. They tune out everything but the music. The music always sounds better with ear plugs too.

Posted by The Dude | July 14, 2011 2:22 PM

Nick DiPaolo >>>>>>>> Animal Collective

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 2:33 PM

I use earplugs fairly often and still hear all the assholes around me. And no the music usually doesn't sound better, a lot of the higher frequencies get lost even with those fancy style earplugs.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 2:34 PM

Maybe hipsters should be called something else. I mean, everyone here disses on them but, who are the people posting here? Hipsters are the only self-negating group that I can think of. I haven't met one who agrees to being it or embracing some of its aspects. And yes, that includes myself.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 3:03 PM

fucking haters. prospect park is the shit, black dice were awesome and animal collective fucking killed it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 3:32 PM

@10:19am - trust me, not everyone in NYC or at the show are assholes - i actually lost my wallet at the show and by the time i got home, i already had a call from the park that someone found it and turned it in to security - i picked it up from the production office on site today and everything was still in the wallet and....even my money!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 3:35 PM

Theoretically speaking, did people seem happy?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 4:04 PM

"Maybe hipsters should be called something else."

Losers.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 4:21 PM

WELL I GUESS U CANT EXPECT EVERYONE TO GET ALONG. LOL. I DINT MIND THE TALKERS CAUSE THEY ADD TO THE AMBIENCE AND I THOUGHT THE SOUND WAS SWEET CAUSE IT EVEN HANDLED THEIR HIGH PITCH SOUND. BUT SERIUSLY THAT WAS AN AWESOME SHOW, IT WAS EVEN AMAZE BALLS. THEY REALLY KNOW THEIR AUDIENCE, INLUDING THE BROS LOL.

THEY REALLY KEEP EVERYTHING FRESH, INCLUDING THEIR PITA TRIANGLES LOL. WHO ELSE THOUGHT THAT THE FOOD THEIR WAS SUPER GOOD TOO. SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE, EVEN FOR THE VEGAN.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AC EVEN THOUGH SOME PEOPLE MIGHT GET MAD AT U FOR DOING YOUR SONG.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 4:31 PM

Hipsters are annoying, but not the only group who demonstrates self-negating behavior. Hipsters are just very insecure.

As Vonnegut said about the American poor:

“America is the wealthiest nation on Earth, but its people are mainly poor, and poor Americans are urged to hate themselves…It is in fact a crime for an American to be poor, even though America is a nation of poor. Every other nation has folk traditions of men who were poor but extremely wise and virtuous, and therefore more estimable than anyone with power and gold. No such tales are told by American poor. They mock themselves and glorify their betters.”
—Slaughterhouse-Five

Have pity on the hipsters, and let's all help the homeless and hungry

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 4:43 PM

4:43 - Here Here!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 5:00 PM

4:43: Good insightful quote, though I'm not sure I get where it fits. I'd say that most people who can indulge in an image/lifestyle as carefully constructed as most hipsters' is, do not come from a poor background (in fact it's usually the opposite, trust-fund and all that). Being a hipster means almost by definition negating your membership to that group and professing a dislike for the elements of hipsterism. We could hypothesize about the reasons for it but that would take too much time away from my Pitchfork reading.
And what about Robert Johnson? Virtuous and mythic, and poor...

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 5:29 PM

It's "Hear! Hear!"

And I am in full agreement with the Vonnegut statement.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 5:31 PM

4:43 is a self-hating hipster
To make their miserable self-imposed existence equivalent to someone's income is just asinine. Does one become not poor just by hard work alone? Bullshit. No successful person got to where they are without someone acting as their sponsor, their mentor, their champion. No poor person is de-facto a bad person. All hipsters, however, are self-focused assholes. True fact.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 5:41 PM

dunno, i enjoyed the show, but i could have enjoyed it a lot more. i feel like the thing with them is that, with me at least, all of their albums (sans sung tongs; i'm still sort of getting into it, but even we tigers was sort of refreshing) take a lot of time to grow on me. so i couldn't really get into their new songs easily. it was fun to dance in good company, and i didn't have a problem with the crowd, and i get that they can always play what they want, but i expected a lot more. i guess i was wrong in doing so. still a great show, but left a lot to be desired. don't think i would see them again, though i am excited for their new album.

Posted by cdads | July 14, 2011 6:28 PM

also, i thought black dice was pretty sweet. and taste is probably my favorite off of mpp, so i was happy with that finale, as surprising as it was. that is all

Posted by cdads | July 14, 2011 6:50 PM

i was high on LSD and snuck in. i then took off all my cloths and ran around the crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:38 PM

damn I saw that dude. fuck, you got a tiny pecker, man.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 8:45 PM

"4:43 is a self-hating hipster"

That's what I thought too. I love when people rant about a select clique, and I'm thinking "you ARE one of those people!" Haha, gotta love it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:10 PM

5:41 and 9:10 should really grab a beer together and talk about how they are a personification of Stuff White People Like.

You both sound so pretentious, talking about the things that your are not, while elucidating exactly what you envy most about hipsters. You envy is eating you alive.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:20 PM

She was probably smoking that kind of incense that's like the bath salts or whatever that get you high.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:22 PM

Remember when Animal Collective played fun songs like Grass? Yeah.. I miss those days.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:10 PM

I am borderline bro and I thought I enjoyed Animal Collective. But now I think I might not have. I think I might be becoming a hipster... Should I see a doctor?

Posted by borderline bro | July 15, 2011 1:15 AM

10:20: I only envy you having me to envy.

The truth hurts, doesn't it?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 10:53 AM

it fucking ruled.. there were sixteen year old girls covered in glosticks yelling "wheres the E?" but other than that, the crowd was fine, the babes were beautiful.. love all around

Posted by teddy | July 15, 2011 11:34 AM

Hey what was Joey Buttafuoco's favorite dish?

Chicken stacciatore!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 2:27 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:12 AM

Sure if you want to be around hundreds of guido bars, self important Kaufman Astoria entry level moderate bonaroo hip employees, sports bars, and no music venues whatsoever unless you count the occasional dumb cover band at some place in Astoria. Plenty of Radiohead wanna be kids carrying around gig bags though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 5:43 PM

animal collective knows the lows come with the highs. they know how things need to be built. they're just doing what they're doing. if you don't find it fascinating then let me stand in front

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 2:17 AM

studio band

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2011 1:07 PM

I enjoyed the show. Typical BV comments, complete non sense. I LIKE HUMMUS.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2011 10:25 PM