Posted in music | pictures on July 29, 2011

photos by Amanda Hatfield, words by Bill Pearis

Metronomy @ Pier 54
Metronomy

I really wasn't sure if anyone was going to show up. Metronomy's last NYC show was at Union Hall in August 2008 and there were about 40 people there. Metronomy's great new album The English Riviera (which just came out this week in the U.S.) has gotten good reviews, but America has largely ignored them. Pier 54 is big.

But about 4000 people did show up and, I know I'm a superfan, but Metronomy killed last night. Killed. Playing for a little more than an hour, we got pretty much everything you'd want to hear: "The Look," "She Wants" and "The Bay" from The English Riviera, the best of Nights Out ("Heartbreaker," "Radio Ladio," "Back on Motorways," "A Thing for Me"), and even a couple from the first album Pip Paine (Pay The £5000 You Owe).

The new line-up was key, with drummer Anna Prior and bassist Gbenga Adelekan bringing wallop and serious musicianship to Joseph Mount's off-kilter song creations. (Longtime member Oscar Cash rounded out the quartet.) This line-up is up there with LCD Soundsystem, Soulwax and Hot Chip as to making live dance music.

Mount was self-effacingly charming in between songs, apologizing for a sax solo gone wrong on "Back on Motorways," and making jokes about the highrise that loomed on the other side of West Street. But mostly the band just knocked out jam after jam. And the crowd, at least those in the front third of the pier, were singing along and dancing. One of my shows of the year so far.

Metronomy play L.A. tonight (7/29) and Mount told us last night that the band reminded us that they'll be back in the States in October. No new NYC dates has been announced yet though.

Class Actress played a lot of songs from her upcoming album Rapproacher to what seemed like audience indifference. I think recordings are good -- very Visage-y new wave synthpop -- but there's something missing from the live show. (A drummer?). L.A. trio American Royalty flew out just to play this show and took the stage like they owned the place, playing a short set of over-the-top party-friendly dance rock. They did not lack for confidence or family in the crowd. They've got a 7" coming out on Seaport Music and, as mentioned in This Week In Indie, play Lit this Saturday if you're interested.

Deer Tick and Dom play the next and last free Hudson River Rocks show at Pier 54 this summer. More pictures from last night below...

Metronomy

hey it's blipster Urkel! Sweet!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 2:55 PM

American Royalty killed it

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 3:04 PM

American Royalty look like 1st class retards

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 3:05 PM

emmm...what i would do for soma that peace.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 3:14 PM

I was told last night that "Gay Nerds" are the new Guidos. That being said, there were a lot of guidos there last night!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 3:25 PM

Not particularly a fan of Metronomy but dropped by after the Chelsea Art Walk since it was a nice enough night. And they were good, I enjoyed the set, stayed for the whole thing. But 'killed?' I don't know if any band playing, with an exception or two, formulated synthpop songs with little deviation from the recorded versions (correct me if I'm wrong there, as I'm not a fan as I said), can be said to have 'killed.' Dinosaur Jr kills. Titus Andronicus kills. Shellac kills. These guys were pretty good, but this type of music can only be brought to a certain level, at least in my opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 3:29 PM

hahah killed? not a chance. very formulaic for that kind of music.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 3:54 PM

showed up early for American Royalty and was completely blown away. great energy and fun music. really, really enjoyed it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 4:25 PM

Kook as trolls over-analyzing/talkin shit above wouldn't know good music if it shat on your face, got back to LES and let the Cali Boyz do their facking thang! American Royalty owns! froth urself

Posted by SAH | July 29, 2011 4:43 PM

seriously - this show was underwhelming....it may have been passable in 2007 but it sounded dated and wasn't anything particularly noteworthy.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 4:46 PM

what are cunt nuggets from Cali or something comparing definitions of "killed"?

Shut the fuck up or actually say something.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 5:15 PM

Metronomy were so nowhere. I don't get the hype. I would prefer Duran Duran, and I did not even care about them so much.
Worst show of the summer.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 5:40 PM

anyone try those rice balls? Holy shit!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 7:13 PM

I thought they were great. Crowd was terrible though. Too many people with just a casual interest in what was going on talking throughout the entire performance. That or taking blurry photos with their phone. Why not go to some lame bar with the rest of your kind?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 7:27 PM

frigging amazing ,i was so blown away by american royalty,they are incredible musicians and singers and billy scher has a talent for writing tunes that are refreshing ande real ,i am in my 50's and havent been this excited about a new band in a very long time ,their energy is so uplifting !!!!

Posted by mermaidlor | July 29, 2011 7:55 PM

hipster urkel!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 8:12 PM

speed kills.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 8:57 PM

That class actress chick so wishes that she was Victoria Legrand.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 9:59 PM

to Anonymous troll kook, here'w what I have to say from Cali: Take your fuckin organic american apparel man thong out of your ass and quit hiding behind your smug, indie, hipster, pseudonym!
I'm going to enjoy eating my double double animal style with a side of slim jim and froth juice while I piss on you and your "ironic beard"!

God Bless America and God Bless American Royalty!

-SAHck (My Ballz)

Posted by SAH | July 30, 2011 12:05 AM

I am not familiar with the band, and personally, I was a bit bored.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2011 12:31 AM

Yo SAH from Cali you can keep your double double animal style, your slim Jim froth, corny ass bands and spacey tit chicks. You can also go and take your tiny little ballzzzzz amd shove them into your gaping "Cali Asshole"

Love,

Deez Nutz

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2011 7:43 AM

Agree with 9:59

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2011 9:37 AM

anyone from Cali is a retard. and a fag.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2011 9:39 AM

Frohawk was there- he was sitting/standing in the front row. Prior to the show, Frohawk was doing Yoga poses and periodically sat on the floor. He snapped out of it when Metronomy came on- fueled on a diet of pita chips, hummus, and ecstasy Frohawk showed the world he really knows how to dance. A fact, unbenounched to most, is that Frohawk was actually a back-up dancer in multiple performances by Michael Jackson and is the son of Michael Jackson's choreaographer.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2011 6:13 PM

American Royalty was most definitely the best out of the three playing. I got there pretty earlier and I absolutely loved their set. Absolutely amazing energy and songs.

Posted by K | July 30, 2011 7:06 PM

Frohawk > Robocop

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2011 7:26 PM

lawl pretty sure american royalty themselves are spamming this commentbox

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2011 4:47 PM

@4:47 Yes, American Royalty are definitely hyping the shit out of their performance. They were mediocre at best.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:08 PM

Why is it only ok to say mean things about people/bands on BV? "Hey asshole, if you don't have anything shitty and degrading to post anonymously, then go eat hummus." Sad.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2011 2:23 PM