Posted in music | pictures on July 15, 2011

photos by Tamara Porras

"Patti Smith was amazing. Excellent crowd. Great energy. Full moon. Fantastic weather. Castle Clinton's 200th anniversary. River 2 River. Ah!" - J.M.F.

Patti Smith

Godmother of Punk Patti Smith concluded the free Castle Clinton 2011 season last night (7/14) when she played the outdoor Manhattan venue filled to capacity. Her two hour set opened with the bombastic 1978 single "Because The Night," but dove into a fair amount of her earlier, more adventurous work including favorites like "Ghost Dance," "Pissing in a River," "Land," "Aint It Strange," and a few others. She also played a number of notable covers, including Neil Young's "Helpless," which she recorded for her cover album Twelve, and fellow NYC's alt-scene vet Lou Reed's "Perfect Day," which showed up on the album's accompanying EP. She also tackled Jim Carroll's "People Who Died," and the much more modern Adele's "Rolling in the Deep."

Catch Patti again when she comes to Southampton, NY for Escape to New York.

Patti Smith Group guitarist Lenny Kaye, who was scheduled to also make an appearance at the Johnny Thunders birthday celebration at Bowery Electric after the Castle Clinton show, will be a special guest on Saturday (7/16) at Mercury Lounge with The Fleshtones and The Insomniacs. Tickets are available.

More pictures and setlist from the Castle Clinton show below...

Setlist:
Because The Night
Ghost Dance
Birdland
Helpless (Neil Young cover)
Southern Cross
Blakean Year
Rolling in the Deep (Adele cover)
People Who Died (Jim Carroll cover)
Pissing in a River
Ain't It Strange
Peaceable Kingdom
People Have The Power
Land
Gloria
------
Perfect Day (Lou Reed cover)
Rock N Roll Nigger

I know everyone will say that I don't know what I'm talking about, but man, I never could figure out what people see in her. Sweet cover choices though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 4:37 PM

Looks like the crowd at a Christian Rock Fest!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 4:38 PM

To each their own dude. but You don't know what you're talking about :D

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 4:42 PM

That poor baby's first musical experience and it's Patti Smith! That kid is gonna need serious therapy. Poor little bastard!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 4:43 PM

Where's Patti Smith? All I see is some old dude with beads.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 4:50 PM

Hey anyone else who was there I have a question. I showed up at 4:30 and the line was huge so myself and my friend cut that motherfucker big time and slipped in pretty close to the front. My question is did they actually shut anyone out or did everyone on line get in.
Just curious. Also to those who saw us cut and started giving me dirty looks and lip when they saw me cut you can suck a fat dick. I don't have time for that waiting on line all day bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 4:52 PM

People got shut out. I waited all day to get in, took the time off work. Waiting isn't bullshit, but cutting is.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 5:13 PM

When im in a bathroom line, I cut lines to cut lines and then watch the girls line up to get my phone number when I line dance at the hip parties south of the Mason-Dixon line and then write the story down on linear notes while I eat hummus .

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 5:18 PM

Hey 5:13, 4:52 here to tell you cutting is not bullshit. It is a fact of life and a way of life. If i was you i would take my anger out on the R2R people who had such lax security. As for you waiting all day, you are lying through your teeth. People only started getting there around 1 I heard and speaking to some people who were a ways in back of me but who got in, they did not get there till 3:30 so you could not possibly have been waiting all day. In any case, a really good show and i am glad i cut.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 5:26 PM

Are you serious 4:52? You are aware that trolling the internet all day doesn't count as busy right?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 5:26 PM

Eric Roberts got so old

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 5:35 PM

this looked cool but no way was gonna miss superchunk

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 5:42 PM

5:26, you better pray to your god that you don't try to pull that cutting bullshit on me, 'cause I'll give you a few souvenirs to remind you of how foolish decisions can yield grave consequences. And yes, I assure you I have the strength and skill to do as I write and more on your sorry ass.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 6:00 PM

Hey 5:26! 6:00 PM wants your ass! hahaha but seriously cuttings a dick move dick hole!

Posted by Hummus eater | July 15, 2011 6:22 PM

4:52/5:26 here to respomnd to 6pm.
Anytime anywhere PUSSY. All talk keyboard warrior. I will cut in front of you and spit on you after i knock your sorry ass to the ground.

Also, to 6:22, Yeah it may be a dick move but you got to do what you have to do.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 7:04 PM

7:04 PM Fair enough

Posted by Hummus eater | July 15, 2011 8:53 PM

Hey there 4:52 / 5:26 / 7:04
You may just get your chance to try your luck, tough guy. Tell ya what - you keep that line cutting shit up, and I'm be there. But, with me there ain't gonna be no "Heeeey, maaan!" or any crap like that. Just the swift blow to the back of the head followed by serious damage, tough guy. So, you keep that up and you'll see me, as you slip into unconsciousness, sweetheart.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 8:58 PM

just a leetle follow up on my 8:58 above ... I'm not saying "let's meet at Brooklyn Bowl" or any such nonsense. What I am saying is if you keep up that reprehensible behavior, and I see it (and I go to a bunch of shows), I will not give you warning and you will not have a chance to respond. Do we understand each other? No faux hatred, just the facts.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 9:09 PM

HAAAAAAAAAA
Look at the Internet toughie 8:58. you can be sure this pussy won't say anything when he sees it. Either that or he ends up with a fistfull of broken teeth.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 10:54 PM

Old heads

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 11:01 PM

she's got big knockers

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2011 11:09 PM

Patti Smith is a national treasure. God bless you Patti and what a wonderful show. please no more negative comment it was a fuckin' free show so what is the problem?

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 12:33 AM

You waited in line for this? This Bud's for you, and the joke's on you.

The Godmother of Punk (?) would not have a set of filled with cover songs. Give that title to Blondie, or any of the chick bands who were not dating an editor of Rolling Stone when their first album came out

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 7:39 AM

Lenny Kaye played an extended version of "Gloria" at the Johnny Thunders tribute in which he reminisced a little about Johnny back in the day. Immediately after, Walter Lure called him out for playing the Pink Floyd 20 minute version. Good stuff.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 7:56 AM

Ewe

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 8:08 AM

the old hippies love it, and the young poseurs hope this raises their coolness/hipster level a few points (but they still don't know who PS is)

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 8:48 AM

Enough of this talk, let's discuss the 2 redheads in that one pic above.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 9:39 AM

better looking redheads in the produce isle at Union Market on a Wednesday night

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 9:59 AM

"please no more negative comment"
Whenever I see posts like this, I am reminded of just how unrealistic the Liberal Utopian illusion is. Trying to regulate freedom will always end in failure, you hippy. Go meditate with your crystals with that King Rama bitch, OK?

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 10:03 AM

Was Frohawk there?

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 12:26 PM

pretty bummed that the r2r site was totally overloaded the day advance tickets became available, even more bummed standing online from 4 to 6pm to be told it was sold out. does anyone know if they ended up releasing more tickets from people who didnt claim the reserved e tickets? i just gave up and went to the johnny thunders thing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 6:08 PM

to the person who cut -- why would you pull such a douche move to get into a show by someone whose music and whole persona is so totally anti-douchebag? I really don't get why you're a fan if you're that kind of person. it's like those people who haul their asses all the way to prospect park, presumably for the whole beauty-of-nature thing, and then leave their garbage all over the place. I honestly just don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 7:31 PM

Patti's "music + persona is so totally anti- douchebag"

I always thought just the opposite.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 9:44 PM

10:03 please no more negative comments.. God bless you bitch

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 11:18 PM

WITHOUT PATTI there would be no:

siouxise sioux
pj harvey
bjork
kim gordon
courtney love (ok that might not be such a bad thing)
joan jett
on and on and fucking on

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2011 3:17 AM

7:04 will spit on you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2011 5:51 AM

without PS there would be no Feelies

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2011 7:13 AM

i'm cool, i cut in line

Posted by some intern | July 17, 2011 9:35 PM

I only cut in line when mamouns is having 1/2 off night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2011 10:40 PM

so depressing that there are so many assholes in the world that *like* good music.

Posted by staxx | July 18, 2011 10:27 AM

If you didn't like that show you never have to go see Patti Smith again!

Posted by Rockey427 | July 20, 2011 10:22 AM