Posted in music | tour dates on July 12, 2011

Sharon Van Etten at McCarren Park in June (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Sharon Van Etten

Brooklyn singer/songwriter Sharon Van Etten has done a fair amount of impressive stuff since hitting the scene. She's released two amazing albums and contributed vocals to The Antlers' Hospice and to Beirut's upcoming LP The Rip Tide. Now she's working with Aaron Dessner of The National (who she recorded a track with for the movie Win Win) on her new album. We've just learned that album will be coming out in early 2012 on Jagjaguwar, home to Bon Iver, who covered Van Etten's "Love More" (congrats Sharon!).

Sharon has a few shows coming up in September including Bumbershoot and a September 23rd show in Philly. All dates and two recently posted videos: one of Kyp Malone of TV on the Radio talking about her, and another of her dueting with her labelmate Justin Vernon, below...

On the Record: Kyp Malone talks Sharon Van Etten

Sharon van Etten and Justin Vernon duet
Sounds of the South musicNOW May 13, 2011

Sharon Van Etten -- 2011 Tour Dates
Mon. Sep. 5 -- Seattle, WA @ Bumbershoot
Fri. Sep. 9 -- Portland, OR @ Musicfest NW at Crystal Ballroom w/ Blitzen Trapper
Sun. Sep. 11 -- Los Angeles, CA @ The Hollywood Bowl w/ The National, Neko Case
Fri. Sep. 23 -- Philadelphia, PA @ World Cafe - Weathervane Music Showcase for Phil. Film & Music Festival

awesome, sharon is amazing, good for her

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:14 AM

I want to marry her.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:17 AM

Wow, what a fucking s e l l o u t. I bet all that money she made opening for The National, Beirut and Bon Iver was too much to pass up on when a big label contract came about. Have fun failing, and don't forget who got you here.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:18 AM

Whoa. If 10:18 is joking, that's actually really funny.

If not, that's almost incomprehensibly (and frighteningly) misguided.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:22 AM

Ugh, I hate this lady. I always thought Sharon Van Etten was the name of the band actually. Zzz zzz zzz... but whatever, in less than a decade no one will remember her name just like nobody gives a shit about Tori Amos.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:22 AM

She is the tops, quit dissin'.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:25 AM

Jag-U-war

That's how the English pronounce it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:27 AM

10:18 is butthurt that this means that he can't see SVE at Union Hall anymore

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:28 AM

i like sve. :)

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:31 AM

She gives good head, but her music sucks (See what I did there?)

SVE former lover

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:38 AM

top shelf comments here....

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:41 AM

Wow, guys, she's a HUMAN BEING. And she's a lovely person. And hello, anyone who thinks there's all this, like, "money" did you call it?--to be made as a musician--regardless who you "open" for, and regardless whether you're on a label--is living in 1987. Or in an alternate universe. What it requires to be a musician these days is more pay-to-play than anything else. You have no idea.

Think for more than 2 seconds about your comments.

Posted by Vesper | July 12, 2011 10:44 AM

Great, so I'm guessing now that she's on Jagjaguwar, they're going to be whoring her out (pun intended) until Pitchfork gives her a BNM score and she appears in the fall fashion edition of Vogue alongside Cults and Smith Westerns. Why is it that mediocrity always reaps the largest rewards in the music world, especially when it comes to female musicians?

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:49 AM

Bitter angry hipsters. Very ugly.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:54 AM

good for her, sve rocks

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:05 AM

God those tattoos are hideous

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:09 AM

Maybe she can finally make a $70k salary and have the approval of the nihilistic BV commentators

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:11 AM

"Why is it that mediocrity always reaps the largest rewards in the music world, especially when it comes to female musicians?"

someone sounds jealous

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:13 AM

SHARON RULES.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:26 AM

I met her once hanging outside the club after my band opened for her a year or so ago. She kind of came off as a bitch to me, not really responsive to any of the kind words those in attendance were passing along as they walked by nor did she even want to chat with my bandmates. She struck us as the type of musician that only presents herself well when in the company of her accomplished musician friends and their immediate social circle. Seems like a social climber to me so it doesn't surprise me she got signed to a better label. That said, I hope her next album is terrible and nothing great comes out of it for Sharon.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:27 AM

Finally I can menstruate!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 12:03 PM

I really liked a couple songs on her last record, but let's be honest: a lot of it sounds like run of the mill, Lilith Fair pap.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 12:03 PM

haters to the left

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 12:39 PM

11:27 = frankie rose

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 12:41 PM

Kyp Malone should be spending more time talking to his barber and less time talking about this twat

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 12:57 PM

anyone who's ever talked to Sharon knows that she is extremely kind and hardworking.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 1:05 PM

I know it's pointless to say this here but I cant help it: why would someone come here and talk shit about sharon van etten? Especially the jealous person in the opening band who "hopes her next album is terrible." Really?? You wish that on a fellow musical artist? Why? Because she didn't chat you up after her show?

people are so fucking weird!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 1:20 PM

Why we're talking about Sharon Van Etten (the person) instead of Sharon Van Etten (the artist) is the greatest mystery of all. Give it a rest, friends and enemies. It's irrelevant now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 1:36 PM

I hope Sharon Van Etten (the person and the band) is reading this and understands that a lot of people hate her and their music. Looking forward to failure...

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 1:48 PM

Sharon Van Etten sucks at what she does and whether or not she is a bitch or a extremely kind doesn't change that. End of story. I'm sure I'll be seeing her albums in the Used bin for $2.99 in 4 years.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 2:23 PM

Sometimes I understand the hate for some bands. If they are too big to be considered cool, if they are overexposed, if they hit too many of the hipster checkpoints, all reason to lay of the hatred.

Sharon is none of these things and has committed no crimes against the indie community, rendering the hate found here totally unwarranted.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 2:56 PM

Sharon needs a good ride on the Tower of Power. I think I can get a messo-soprano out of her yet

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 3:04 PM

It's mezzo-soprano, you moron.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 3:23 PM

It's interchangeable, you asswipe.
At least Google the shit before you make a complete ass of yourself

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 3:25 PM

@3:25: Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Look at your initial statement butt nugget.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 3:36 PM

@3:25: They are not interchangeable. It's mezzo-soprano. You should Google it. Mezzo means middle in Italian.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 3:38 PM

I've never heard of her but I hope she fails too.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 3:42 PM

2:56, as a promoter who had the unfortunate experience of booking Sharon a few times (the latter times being forced rather than volunteerily due to business reason) I found her and her band to be unprofessional and difficult to work with. Nobody wants to see a band like that succeed. She came off to me as very entitled to something she hadn't earned yet. I hope she's content she's gotten this far but from the way she acted at our venue awhile back, I think this is only the burgeoning era of a new indie diva and if my colleagues want to book her again, I'll be sure to take the night off.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 3:43 PM

I appreciate the joke of being really hateful in the BV comments as an ongoing comedy bit. It's really clever and hilarious.

But if you are actually talking shit about this artist then you really should think about what you're accomplishing (nothing).

You're just spreading hatefulness. Go do something more productive with your time. I feel like a fucking hippie saying this but it's true.

I assume you work some meaningless shit job and your empty life contributes nothing to the world. My advice would be to spare us the routine and just kill yourself.

Hope youre all having a great day,
Dr. Faggot

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 3:58 PM

<3 Sharon. Congrats, you've earned it!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 4:09 PM

3:43, If you are in fact a promoter and you're coming on BV to talk shit about the artists you book, then that's pretty shitty. Good job taking the low road.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 4:15 PM

Sharon writes really great songs. Not that it seems to matter to anyone here.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 4:24 PM

Hey @4:15 - I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought, there is no way 3:43 is a promoter. That's just not how it's done. He or she is clearly lying.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 4:29 PM

Is the mainstream-ification of indie music complete yet? Can it have please crested? That said, she's got some nice melodies, and she's nice as a person, but this is a really confused time.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 4:47 PM

no BV, you have done a fair amount of shameless promotion for this artist.

what is your financial interest?

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 6:04 PM

I like how so many people think there is money involved in music these days. It's kind of cute.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 8:01 PM

Sharon has to be one of the most genuine, down-to-earth musicians I've encountered around NY. Any continued success she receives she completely deserves.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 8:16 PM

I think being genuine and kind and down-to-earth are great things, far more important (especially being genuine) than making good, interesting music. But making good music is what should get someone signed to a good record label, no?

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 9:20 PM

terrible tattoos. what was she thinking?

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 3:34 AM

<3 sharon. i dont understand the hate. she seems inoffensive enough even if you don't enjoy it, not like something that would inspire such dramatic negative emotions. and she is just really shy and that can come across as stuck up sometimes but i ensure you she is not stuck up in the least.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 6:19 AM

3:58 PM FTW

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 10:05 AM

her music aside, this chick is a cocktease

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 3:46 PM

My experience with Sharon came after a show at Union Hall.

She was at the merch table after her set, and took the time to jot down the name Blaze Foley on a scrap of paper.

I'd just asked about the song of his she covered that night.

So yea, all I remember is that personal touch and she made eye contact and was present.

Seems like a sweet person. I always check out her songs, and one I heard on the radio recently struck me all on its own.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 9:49 PM