Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on July 11, 2011

photos by Kurt Christensen

"So me, Riff, and Elyse saw Soundgarden at Jones Beach. It was an awesome show! The whole band can still fucking rip." - veganaction

Soundgarden

It was a generational mix of fans as old classic rock loving men mixed with metal heads, Gen X and Gen Y'ers as the 90's came back alive and everyone remembered when grunge was king. Opening with "Searching with my Good Eye Closed," Chris Cornell, Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron, Ben Shepherd reinvoked the power and thunder that fans have loved them for all these years. It was a trip down memory lane as the band are reintroducing themselves with their back catalogue of singles, B-sides and very deep early cuts and in a set list that appealed to the casual listener to the hardcore fan, Soundgarden were not ready to play any of the new material they have been working on and they didn't need to, they stuck to the working wheel of high octane, dark and murky rock and roll. "Jones Beach, sorry for the wait! We got some new songs but you won't hear any tonight, this is an old song" a bearded Chris Cornell told the crowd right before kicking into "Jesus Christ Pose" -[Officially a Yuppie]
Soundgarden played two NYC area shows over the weekend with Coheed & Cambria. They hit July 8th at Prudential Center in Newark and July 9th at Nikon at Jones Beach Theatre in Wantagh, NY. Their set consisted mainly of material off Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger, and Superunknown, with a few other cuts as well. The above review and photos in this post come from Jones Beach. We also have setlists and videos from both below.

Last night, Sunday night (7/10), Coheed & Cambria opened for Soundgarden at the Comcast Center in Mansfield, Mass, but without their bassist who was arrested at the venue for robbing a pharmacy earlier that day!

Soundgarden is currently touring the east coast, and will play upcoming dates in Phildelphia and Atlantic City (with Mars Volta) in the coming days. Full tour schedule (which now includes a headlining appearance at Voodoo in New Orleans), with more pictures (though none of Coheed), videos and setlists below...

Soundgarden - Outshined - 7.8.11 - Prudential Center - Newark, NJ

July 30 The Gorge George WA
October 28 Voodoo Music Experience New Orleans LA

first loosers

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 12:39 PM

Amazing pics!

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 12:39 PM

I have one ticket for Soundgarden in Philadelphia Wednesday, I can't go. Mention BV and get preference => http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/tix/2488124807.html

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 12:42 PM

fatgarden

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 12:45 PM

Thank you for rubbing this in my face since I missed out on this show. Fuck!

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 12:53 PM

12:53 - buy my Philly ticket and curse no longer! (look a couple posts above)

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 12:54 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 12:55 PM

So, BV... What happened to those free tickets you were supposed to give out last week?

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 12:56 PM

The sound was fantastic at Jones Beach, and they played pretty much every big song they ever had. Early in the set, Chris said "We have some new songs, but we're not gonna play them tonight". Amen.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 12:57 PM

12:57, wow. That just shows the mentality of Soundgarden fans. Stuck in the past.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:03 PM

As much as I can't wait to hear new Soundgarden songs, I've been to plenty of shows where a band plays nothing but their new stuff, and it is usually not a fun show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:06 PM

@12:56 When I arrived at the venue, I saw a few guys at Will Call picking up the tickets they won from BV.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:12 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:13 PM

Tickets were not very expensive for this show, and Jones Beach was almost full. Other dates may not be selling well, but this show certainly did sell well.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:20 PM

Sorry 1:20 you are wrong. These 2 shows did not sell well. Promoters were basically begging people in the last 2 weeks to buy tix. They were grossly expensive for this shit and almost full is not sold out equals FAIL

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:26 PM

PRU floor tix were like 65 bux and well worth it, why do people keep bitchin about the ticket prices. Get a fukken job you choads.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:28 PM

PORTISHEAD IS PLAYING HAMMERSTEIN. HOW HAVE I FOUND THIS OUT VIA A DIFFERENT MUSIC BLOG?!

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:29 PM

Prudential show was great and im not even a huge soundgarden fan. Cue the hatred

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:33 PM

I was excited to see soundgarden at the prudential..not the right venue but I was waiting to see them since they broke up basically. Prudential was maybe 50% filled...floor and lowers were pretty full...uppers were very very empty!

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:42 PM

"Prudential was maybe 50% filled...floor and lowers were pretty full...uppers were very very empty!"

whoa half full, that's a shame. but i can understand, i was a huge fan of them in grade school and now i have no interest in seeing them. bummer

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:49 PM

It's a good thing they got back together for the kiddies and hipsters.

I saw them at their last-ever Seattle gig, 14 or 15 years ago. Right before the musical divorce. Hope they are half as good now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 1:56 PM

Ben has NEVER been homeless. Look at my videos on YouTube under rcrase. You'll see that Prudential was pretty full and even more people at Jones beach. The shows were HUGE, I was (with the band) at both of them.

Anonymous posters/haters can go cry, SG IS BACK, and don't give an eff.

thank you.

Posted by Ryan Crase | July 11, 2011 2:01 PM

1:28, because it's ridiculous that people have gotten used to and have accepted paying over $50 to see 2 hours of entertainment. I see something wrong with that. I'll stick with the club shows.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 2:01 PM

This is a clip from the Prudential show. If you weren't there, I just wanted you to know it was very full, unless all of those people were fake.

Here's proof, sorry Haters/doubters/losers.

Posted by Ryan Crase | July 11, 2011 2:04 PM

1:26- Unless you were the promoter, why exactly do you care if they sold well? Unless you are just being a wingey little cunt, which I suppose is the case.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 2:06 PM

Neither of the shows were close to sold out. But the reality is that in the 90's, Soundgarden never headlined arenas. The biggest venue they headlined in NYC was a 5000 seater (the Amory on 26th Street).
So, the fact that they were able to half sell Pru Center, and 3/4 sell Jones Beach is pretty impressive.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 2:07 PM

The shows have been larger than anyone expected. I've been at a few, and everyone is extremely happy. -And they have actually been close to full the past couple of nights...you'll notice in the posted videos. Don't feel bad, they're doing extremely well. Anonymous posters, you absolutely don't count. you're a fat cunt with nothing else better to do. And if you care how a band looks, stick with your boy-band crush. SG isn't trying to be pretty.

Posted by Ryan Crase | July 11, 2011 2:11 PM

"im sure that loser would rather complain than actually go travel to see the band."

^ I'm sure this loser just likes to post shitty comments instead of anything worthwhile.

"12:53, stop moaning. Did you not read the top of the post. They have new songs which equals new album which means another tour. And that tour will be at smaller places for less money then the ridiculous amounts they are charging for this one. This tour was all about the cash grab aka get Ben Shepard some money so he is not homeless anymore. Or in other words, feed off losers and suckers with the whole reunion nostalgia gimmick. The tour is not selling well at all and most shows are not sold out hence smaller places next time. Sit this one out and wait for the next one."

Well, hopefully there's another tour coming eventually. But you act like you already know for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 2:11 PM

2:06- Sometimes, promoters "paper" the house, which means that they give out free tickets whereever they can, to fill empty seats. They make up the money via merch, parking, food concessions, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 2:12 PM

I went to the Jones Beach show. It was not sold out, although it sold better than I expected. Some side sections were empty up top, and the floor had a few empty seats here and there (probably promoter holds and ticketbroker seats that never sold).
The band was solid, and sounded tight. Chris's voice was just as good as 20 years ago. Chris is not an exciting or interesting frontman, but he sounded great. The audience was really into the show. Honestly, my expectations were not high, but they were really good.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 2:27 PM

I know for sure that there is a ticket available for Philadelphia

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 2:42 PM

90's music > everything that's followed

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 2:59 PM

The Jones Beach show was one of the best show's I've ever been too! They sounded HUGE and played just about everything! Can't wait for them to come back around, I'll probably spring for better seats!

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 3:00 PM

2:59: Yup.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 3:08 PM

... and on bass, Mr. Blonde

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 3:39 PM

Jones Beach never sounds good, but the sound was fantastic that night. They sounded great, but don't have the vibe they had in the 90's. Few bands can reunite as good as they were in their prime.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 3:45 PM

I went both nights.

PNC sounded like ass! But it was a fun time to see the band back together.

Jones Beach did sound incredible, but the no booze policy sucks.

The truth is they should have played MSG. That would have been the best.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 3:47 PM

2:59, true. Music went to crap since then. It's so bad that people are accepting of mediocre rock like the Strokes or Phoenix or Nickelback. I can't think of one band in the last decade that blew me away, unless they were from an earlier decade (i.e. Radiohead).

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 3:50 PM

soundgarden are ok but i could never get over cornells whiny banshee yowl. good lord it's grating. and this is coming from someone who loves dead kennedys.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 3:53 PM

I don't mind Cornell's voice. Then again, Liz Phair's first album is still one of my favorites, and her voice is so godawful it makes me want to punch old people and kick puppies.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 4:13 PM

The drummer from Pearl Jam was the best part of the show. Chris was phoning it in. And Kim and Ben should retire. They're too old to rock out now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 4:14 PM

They played Loud Love??? Fuck my life. :(

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 4:17 PM

This is a bullshit reunion without Hiro Yamamoto. You all know it!

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 4:25 PM

Anyone catch Ben Shepherd giving Chris Cornell the finger behind his back at Jones Beach? That was weird...

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 4:26 PM

Ben Shepherd is unstable. He should be happy for his nice paycheck.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 5:13 PM

4:14 - Agreed. Chris sounds great, but he looks like he's bored.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 5:15 PM

The whole band looks bored. Were they always the shoegazer band of the Seattle scene?

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 5:22 PM

Ben Shepherd does not look bored, he looks homicidal. I wouldn't turn my back on him for too long. He might cut your ear off with the straight razor in his sock.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 5:48 PM

BEST. BAND. EVER.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 5:57 PM

WIRELESS MICROPHONES ARE SO UN-ROCK AND ROLL.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 5:59 PM

beyond the wheel rules.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 6:02 PM

I still dont know who gets mystified?

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 6:15 PM

Went to Jones Beach, had decent seats in 5L. Can't say it sounded good there - all the "lows" for extended stretches of it sounded like they were humming through blown speakers. Other than that though, awesome show considering they were band I never thought I'd see again following the one date on Lolla '96 I caught. Cornell can still wail.

Posted by Funderburgh | July 11, 2011 7:49 PM

thanks

Posted by mida | July 11, 2011 8:49 PM

Soundgarden. Best. Band. Ever. YUP!

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 9:31 PM

Jones Beach sounded sick if you were in the orchestra

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2011 9:32 PM

Seeing this show at Red Rocks! I just hope he can hit those notes at that elevation haha.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 12:16 AM

This show fucking slayed!

Posted by @TechRockout | July 12, 2011 2:36 AM

Soundgarden was special...

Posted by Fag. | July 12, 2011 10:37 AM

Who gets mystified?

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:48 AM

^ Dude, if you keep commenting with that to no avail, you'll feel outshined!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 10:53 AM

So exciting to see such an amazing performance. Thanks for all the video, it totally puts it into perspective that SG is back and even stronger than ever. The clips put the haters in check, making them
look like idiots. The venue's look really full and the band looks/sounds great!!!! They're back!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:04 AM

^^ Ben Shepherd

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:18 AM

Believe I saw what looked like Nick DiPaolo at this show. he was sippin' the beers like a mofo!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:33 AM

Nick DiPaolo is rock n' roll.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:51 AM

Indeed.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 12:00 PM

Ben Shepherd looks like Peter Griffin

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 12:46 PM

Beyond the wheel rules.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:24 PM

had a great time both nights!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 11:28 PM

So, nobody seems to be showing up for the Soundgarden shows. virtually empty stadiums and no energy. Here's proof:

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 2:00 PM

Soundgarden destroyed philly tonight!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:41 AM

BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:46 AM

Pretty Noose was insane!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:49 AM

Tonight was owned by Soundgarden.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:12 AM

Damn, Soundgarden is BACK! You know it's true when those jealous "nobody's" start posting negative comments. Well, those people don't have a band, and can't play. The proof is in their jealousy. Sad. Oh well, SG is killing it and doesn't really give a shit about the comments, they just want to rock out and get paid!

Posted by StaticInvasion | July 28, 2011 2:50 AM

1:26 & 2:11, you both fail. AND, I'm NOT posting as anonymous, you losers. I've even posted my tumblr URL for you queers.

www.StaticInvasion.tumblr.com

Posted by Ryan Crase | August 1, 2011 11:18 AM

^^ no you're just posting a few weeks after the thread died, when 1:26 and 2:11 have a low likelihood of even seeing your cowardly post.

pathetic that we even have to point this out.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 11:31 AM

Anon 11:30. PM me you nimrod. I see you didn't leave your info cause you're a coward. Oh, and 1:26 and 2:11 were put to shame. Look at my posted videos and you'll notice, dickhead.

Posted by StaticInvasion | August 5, 2011 1:50 AM

I went both nights.

PNC sounded like ass! But it was a fun time to see the band back together.

Jones Beach did sound incredible, but the no booze policy sucks.

The truth is they should have played MSG. That would have been the best.

Posted by respersta | October 23, 2012 5:56 PM