Posted in music on July 14, 2011

Spotify

After a long crescendo of promises and speculation, Spotify has launched in the United States at last.
The music-streaming service allows users to stream what it says are "millions" of songs both from their computers and from mobile devices. Spotify relies heavily upon playlists, which users can create as soon as they boot up the service. Users can search through the company's tracks and simply drag and drop songs to a given list. The service also allows people to import MP3s to bolster the music player's offering. Once the playlists are created, they can be accessed from anywhere a user loads Spotify.
Spotify offers a free, ad-supported service for those who want to listen to tracks on their computers. Users can also sign up for the company's $4.99 per month unlimited plan, which allows them to stream "millions of tracks" with no time limits and no ads. The company's $9.99 per month premium plan includes all the same features, but adds the ability to listen without a Web connection and on mobile devices. Premium also boasts enhanced sound quality. [CNET]

Tags: Spotify

This is a nice convenient service, but I'd prefer to actually having a physical copy laying around for those rare instances when the Internet crashes or my computer melts down.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:08 AM

sweden rules the app store

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:08 AM

now musicians in the US will be even poorer!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:11 AM

Please don't steal our music.

- Lars Ulrich

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:21 AM

I was into Spotify and left before it launched in the States. The sharing was better than I expected from what I anticipated from the technology. I logged off my computer, took off my sweat soaked shirt and saw some BrooklynVegan computer nerd commentator's girlfriend who used it logging off too. She came up to me and said, "I really liked Spotify. My current boyfriend doesn't. My guy is into P a n d o r a and whatever A p p l e is doing. I could use a change from that..." We went out for a drink and ended up fucking all night, to which she said she'd never been filled like that or felt so great ever. She rode me and grabbed around my torso and I lifted her up against the wall, rest her on my quads as you could see our body sweat against the walls. She collapsed onto me as I fell backward, got off and began to give me head. She was able to fit both her hands around my 8 inch shaft as she licked its head circularly and went as far down as she could with her mouth. I fingered her until she came, and after that she rode me for another 15 minutes before I pulled out and nutted on her tits. At the end, she said, "I think my music sharing days are done. Computers can't share whatever that just was!"

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:23 AM

I like vinyl.

Posted by jonathan | July 14, 2011 9:33 AM

Yeah, well, I was into Spotify before it was even available. I was into it when it was just an idea. About 2 months before it was launched I dropped right out, knew you were gonna come along 9:23. You ruined it all, man .... you should have seen it before you glommed on. It was epic. RIP Spotify.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:36 AM

Is this service being marketed to the ten to fifteen people torn between stealing music online and buying it in CD form?

Posted by anon | July 14, 2011 9:40 AM

I was into Spotify before the internet was invented.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:48 AM

I can't say it enough. I love the Baby Jesus and I think... he's the best thing and he's really great when he shares his love because he's got enough love for everybody. You know what I mean? I can't even see a manger without thinkin' about him, eh?

I just love the Jesus. I've only been into him for a couple of hours though, but I'm *really* into him.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 9:52 AM

I was into Spotify when it was just an idea in some kid's garage called Spot.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:02 AM

I am 34 years old and my name is Spotify, so obviously my parents were onto some next level sh!t in the late 70's.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:03 AM

I was into Spotify before LCD Soundsystem broke up...

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:10 AM

I dip spotify into my hummus platter when I run out of pita triangles.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:22 AM

I wanted to get sexy with my girlfriend but she said she noticed some spotifying going on.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:41 AM

at this point i basically just listen to field recordings from office parks. landscaped grounds, fountains, sculpture etc. some interesting things coming out of the shared space condo scene: rooftops, terraces, gyms, media rooms.
weekends i'll throw on an old wurlitzer i found inside an abandoned carousel.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 10:43 AM

I love vinyl.

Posted by Geraldo | July 14, 2011 10:59 AM

I just got a new cassette deck. Psyched for the cassette tape resurgence!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:12 AM

11:12 where'd you get it? I've been in the market of buying a backup to the one on my stereo that's over 10 years old and the speakers are starting to fizz out. Is it a complete stereo system with CD and MP3 playback or just a cassette deck?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:21 AM

i understand the desire to create and listen to old mixtapes or whatever... but to actually want to buy new albums on cassette... that's just silly. buy the vinyl.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:29 AM

I'm converting all my mp3's to vinyl.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 11:32 AM

11:29pm, I prefer cassettes, because... well, I grew up with them and so I feel more in touch with them than vinyl. It's not really a nostalgia thing, but just rather that I'm more comfortable with the medium. Plus, cheaper and easier to store.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:15 PM

10:43, I love you. Marry me, and we can share life together enjoying subtle ambient sounds together.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:41 PM

9:23 = 29 year old virgin.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 12:50 PM

12:50pm, close. 27.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:03 PM

Stopify is a really great song. Disturbed rocks!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 1:38 PM

9:23, was the girl Kickball Katy? what a sexy big-titted slut she is. i beg she gags on cock well based on your story.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 5:47 PM