Posted in music on July 20, 2011

Thom Yorke

I've been having fun with Spotify since it launched in the US. As someone completely unorganized due to a series of hard drive crashes, a busy life, full hard drives, too many devices, uncharged batteries, broken record players and piles of CDs stacked to the ceiling, I love the ability to just be able to start software and search for whatever I want and it's there. Yes, the ads in the free version aren't great and I they don't have everything I'm looking for, but I'm mostly focusing on the positives here (one of which is that you can do a lot without paying anything). That said, sometimes I also can't figure out what to play. The search is great, but the browsing capabilities of the app itself seem pretty limited, so ShareMyPlaylists.com is actually pretty helpful. Check out 4AD, Thom Yorke's Secret DJ Set, Thom Yorke's Office Charts Collection, Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and the many more they have on the site.

Spotimy is also a good place to start for lists of albums. Go to their 'top rated' page and you instantly see the best reviewed new albums you can listen to. From there it only takes 1 or 2 clicks from there to have every track from the following new albums loaded into Spotify at once: Bon Iver, REM, Iceage, The Horrors, Wild Beasts, Radiohead, Fucked Up, The Antlers, Mount Kimbie, Destroyer, Baths, Male Bonding, Austra, Paul Simon, Smith Westerns, Ford & Lopatin, Eleanor Friedberger, Smod, Wu Lyf, Zomby, Low, Dum Dum Girls, Tyler the Creator, John Maus & more.

Bibflify, Pitchify, and Playlistify are good for finding playlists and albums too.

Since Spotify has been around way longer overseas, you can also find older playlists that have been hanging around, like via this 2009 Guardian article that has links to playlists by members of Mogwai and Radiohead. This more recent article on ateaseweb links to even more Radiohead. The Independent has a new playlist from Memory Tapes.

TNW has even more "ways to enhance your Spotify experience", Turntable.FM included. What else is good?

Listen to Napster founder Sean Parker (aka who Justin Timberlake played in Social Network) talk to Jimmy Fallon about Spotify in the video below...

cool ad bro

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2011 11:35 PM

"cool ad bro"

not an ad, but cool comment bro

Posted by brooklynvegan | July 21, 2011 12:04 AM

Spotify sucks. Just when vinyl was making a resurgence to get artists paid, along comes spotify which will be causing lots of guitarists to scrape every last morsel out of their hummus platter.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 12:06 AM

The social playlist element is pretty enticing - but I'll never give money to an RIAA member affiliated company again - they sued too many kids and acted like assholes when digital happened. I'll stick to downloading and spending my music $$ on going to shows and buying vinyl from bands signed to real independent labels only.

Let them monetize the next generation that doesn't remember what cunts they are and were.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 12:19 AM

^^yup

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 12:47 AM

i dont get it

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 1:15 AM

dont' forget http://spotibot.com/

and fuck all of you hipster faggots hatin' on spotify. This is the best thing since shit on sliced bread!

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 1:50 AM

Your comment has been received and held for approval by the blog owner.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 7:42 AM

i like florence and the machine - do they have florence and the machine?

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 7:59 AM

As far as I've been able to tell, they have pretty much everything except Kill Rock Stars and a lot of Sub-Pop (though I read that Sub-Pop stuff is slowly being added).

I don't really see how you can hate on a service that makes accessing music the easiest thing ever. It has its faults (really no automated recomendations and there's pretty much no easy way to organize what you've already listened to) but being able to simply drop music into friends' inboxes is amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 8:20 AM

"coolstorybro" (or whatever combination) is for douchebags.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 9:41 AM

thanks hansel

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 9:46 AM

Spotify is for tools and poseurs

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 9:55 AM

Spotify is good for me to poop on.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 11:14 AM

Um, vinyl was making a resurgence?? On what planet? Of the people I know only 1 or 2 even have a turntable, and it's more of a curiosity...like having your grandmother's typewriter. Face the music, vinyl is dead...maybe Spotify was another nail in the coffin, but the coffin was already full of nails.

Posted by DugB | July 21, 2011 11:15 AM

I hate you.

I love you.

Just kidin yawl... I hate you

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 11:19 AM

@11:15
I know dozens of people with turntables. Seriously. Vinyl is only as dead as your love for music. I only buy hard copies of music on vinyl now. Digital downloads are good for commutes, but there are few things as comforting as the sound of a great record spinning. Not to mention most new vinyl releases come with digital download cards. I'm sorry that you have such a bleak perspective on a historically superior avenue for listening to music.

Posted by Anon | July 21, 2011 12:21 PM

yeah, if they could somehow figure out a way to match the sound and aesthetic of listening to vinyl but on a portable device, I'd be all for it. but that's simply never going to happen. i buy vinyl weekly, but Spotify is the greatest thing I've ever seen for keeping up on new music and listening to old albums you haven't heard in years.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 12:35 PM

Hahaha, yes, having to store all those albums (those 2 vinyl people I know need entire rooms for their collection), the temperature sensitivity and such, preventing scratches, plus buying into archaic mechanical technology...that sounds very superior to me. I'm a retrogrouch as much as anyone...I prefer many outdated things because of the craftsmanship, maintainability, etc....but I also never attempt to make the argument that they are technologically better, or have higher quality or integrity. Where is the inherent portability for vinyl? How many steps do you have to go through to get that album into a portable form for that commute? It's clearly a hobby, an deeply held interest for you, and I can respect that. But a true "resurgence" requires widespread appear, something which vinyl will never again enjoy. Niche? Yes. "Resurgence"? When pigs fly.

Posted by DugB | July 21, 2011 1:17 PM

everything sucks!

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 1:35 PM

Hummus has made a MAJOR resurgence.
Even kellogs diner sells it these days. Amazing!

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2011 6:42 PM

spotify won't stay long, artists aren't making any money from it, people sream your music 300 times you make 13 cents, 300 people buy your song on iTunes you make 200+ bucks, artists aren't going to stick around on that, look at radiohead the only stuff available is the EMI catalogue nothing from the last two albums.
Plus real music lovers want to own the music (albums) but if you're a teenage girl then it makes sense.

Posted by bilbon | July 23, 2011 8:03 AM

I have spotify. I am not a teenage girl. It's ok. It's not bad, but spotify is missing so many classic albums.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2011 9:51 AM

Spotify ruined my itunes library! Files are lost or moved under incorrect names. BE WARNED!

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2011 10:39 AM

THanks for this. One question... with the top 100 or 500 or whatever play lists, they seem to get loaded into spotify not in their order on the chart. Is there any way to keep the rank order or position in the playlist? Otherwise, what a shame.

Posted by Alain | July 24, 2011 7:06 PM

SPOTIFY SUCKS.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2011 11:03 AM

Luv spotify! You can also find playlists and last.fm recommendations at http://www.sharedplaylists.com/

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 2:37 PM

hate spotify

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:31 PM

Spotify dropped my hummus platter on my kitchen floor. Damn them!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:46 PM

spotify is ok

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2011 8:37 AM

sean parker sucks. i like that he keeps trying to say "i thought of this first". someone should shit in his sandwich.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2011 5:34 PM

spotify not bad but if you're an artist you aint making $ with this model
1000 plays = $5, better than nothing but not quite where it needs to be, on the other hand great that people can have this service for free and for a cheap subscription deal.
Maybe the idea of musicians making from recordings is over :) maybe the only way now is to tour.

Posted by Chris | August 15, 2011 8:31 AM

First thank you for informing the name of a useful application for organizing playlist. According to thank you for speaking what Thom does, I love it, love radiohead, I have all the albums and posters. Third is without a doubt is the best material I've read ...

Posted by kelly | August 19, 2011 11:42 PM

I just hope we see all the unheard unsigned dormant creative legends out there that haven't yet been born will still want to make music knowing that there is very little money in it, because as much as it's nice to do things for the love of it, you can't if you're not comfortable and money buys comfort. http://www.agregadordelink.in

Posted by agregas | September 6, 2011 2:23 PM

Posted by linkkador | September 16, 2011 11:41 PM

you can't if you're not comfortable and money buys comfort.

Posted by pilasir | September 17, 2011 1:52 AM

and money buys comfort.

Posted by radgenor | September 17, 2011 2:53 AM

Lame

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2011 7:15 PM

It sounds like there are two camps here:

a) The "fuck the RIAA bastards" commenters who will never pay money for any licensed music ever again (unless, perhaps, it's available on vinyl)

and

b) The people who say that this is a tragedy for artists, and it's going to destroy the industry.

Both these arguments are just rehashed from the the two sided argument of torrents and illegal downloads. As an avid user of Demonoid and Rapidshare, I have to say that I loved Spotify enough to start paying for it. It's a huge time saver, and really is THE most convenient way to listen to and explore music that's yet been made available. I have my music everywhere I am now, at home, at work, and on the go.

So, I would say that Spotify falls nicely in between the two camps, as it should. Some people can enjoy Spotify (or MOG, or rdio or whatever), and the rest can be extremists and left behind in their little camps.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2011 5:05 PM

Posted by ขายคอนโด | October 5, 2011 10:40 AM

Thanks for sharing. I checked out Playlistify and love it, and love the play on words too haha. Digging up good playlist finds on Spotify can be hard since there's so much music to be consumed all at once. I've used myplay.com as well so that's another suggestion. Their playlists are pretty good. Figured I'd share one! It's a mix of alternative music/emerging artists and it's one of my best discoveries and subscriptions yet. http://open.spotify.com/user/myplay.com/playlist/0VkhN48djiq7VMzTc2nuZ9

Posted by Brittany | November 6, 2011 12:57 PM