Posted in metal | music | pictures on July 13, 2011

photos by Markus Shaffer, more YOB photos & words by BBG

YOB (by Markus)
YOB

YOB and Dark Castle played Le Poisson Rouge last night (7/12) with help from local doom faves Batillus. The show, part of a larger tour for YOB/DC, featured Dark Castle skinsman Rob Shaffer behind the kit for the final two band's sets. Dark Castle's set focused primarily on newer material like "Seeing Through Time" from their current LP Surrender To All Life Beyond Form, but also closed with faves from their breakthrough Spirited Migration like "Awake in Sleep" and "Into The Past". YOB's set, which was a bit too bass-heavy in the mix for my liking (and yes I know their sound has tons of low-end), covered favorites like "Burning The Altar" and "Grasping Air" (with guest vocals from DC's Stevie Floyd") as well as new burners like "Prepare The Ground" and the title track to the new LP, ATMA.

A full set of pictures from LPR last night and some videos below...

Batillus by Markus

Dark Castle

YOB by Markus

YOB by BBG

Dark Castle - Awake in Sleep - Live NYC @ Le Poisson Rouge

YOB - NYC @ Le Poisson Rouge

YOB - "Prepare The Ground" NYC @ Le Poisson Rouge

Is Dark Castle's drummer filling in for YOB right now?

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 1:28 PM

looks like Orange County left their stills for a night and came out for a hoedown in Manhattan...

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 1:29 PM

I got a contact high just by looking at those killer pics. \m/

Posted by Carm | July 13, 2011 1:30 PM

if anyone was looking to score meth, this was the spot...

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 1:31 PM

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed...

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 1:33 PM

Show was awesome all around. Stevie Floyd had a sweet Type O shirt!

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 1:44 PM

Too much bass in the yob set? Come on, this is a doom show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 2:05 PM

A Cure shirt? wow

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 2:14 PM

The show was awesome. But who was the guy that kept heckling Yob??

Posted by mwk | July 13, 2011 2:15 PM

Did anyone else have the sense that Stevie got her voice back at Yob's encore and was cracking during the DC set?

Posted by mwk | July 13, 2011 2:35 PM

Hey 2:05, this would be my third time seeing them this year, and fourth show in the past year and a half. I am using that as my basis for comparison. Well that and the fact that I definitely go to my share of doom shows...

Thanks for reading.

Posted by BBG | July 13, 2011 2:55 PM

I heard YOB does a killer rendition of Dueling Banjos...

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 2:59 PM

2:35 - I was thinking the same. She sounded much better for the Yob encore.

It was great to finally see Yob. Would've liked to have heard more off of Catharsis and Illusion of Motion but it was a pretty decent set. I thought the mix was a little bass heavy as well but that might just be because Dark Castle was so ear piercingly trebly that I wasn't able to hear high frequencies by the time Yob played.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 3:02 PM

BBG with the bitchslap! Who said there wasn't serious discussion on here? That was pretty damn serious if you ask me.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 3:23 PM

Great photos, but the constant flashing from two photographers at the very front of the stage basically ruined the Yob set for me. Best for crowd (and bands) to shoot only during the first 2-3 songs. (Though you'd be forgiven for the great shots of Stevie joining Yob later on).

Posted by daryl shawn | July 13, 2011 3:52 PM

Yeah, Yob was definitely bass heavy. In fact, did LPR even have their house speakers on for Yob's set? I was thinking the crowd nearest Scheidt's amps got the brunt of the geetar. Anyways, great show regardless.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 5:55 PM

One of the best shows I've ever been to, come back sooner than 6 years please. Looking forward to the new album. Great performances by everyone last night, and my first time hearing Batillus- phenomenal.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2011 7:36 PM

hey,mwk @ 2:15, that was stevie floyd.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2011 2:09 PM

Fucking rad pictures.

Posted by Adam M. | July 15, 2011 4:39 PM

Great. More shitty photos by another ass with a giant camera. Can you please hire somebody with skillz to take photos instead of this talentless fuckwit? This was a great show. Too bad the photos suck.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 2:08 AM

I have known Mike since his days in Chemakill and to see how far his has come is truly amazing. I was near Mike's amp setup and it was blistering. YOB is hear to rattle you and they succeeded, as far as I am concerned. Rob Shaffer deserves more Kudos than one could ever offer. He was tremendous and they were middway through the tour. I would like to see most of us drive all over the US on very little sleep, lugging hundreds or pounds of gear, only to get on stage and attempt to impress and engage an audience. Please stop commenting on what you prefer, as you only showed up to listen. If you loaded the gear before and after the show, I retract my comment. LPR can take some responsibility for sound, but regardless of attempts at perfect sound for all the audience, it was fantastic and I am on my way to Philly tonight!!! YOB is DOOM!!! Oh, and for the idiot heckler: I hope a bird shits in your mouth! Now that is appropriate criticism, according to me.

Posted by DrJ | July 16, 2011 3:53 PM

This was one of the best shows I've ever been to, and I have been to many. And it had nothing to do with the quality of the sound (which was not bad) but with the energy given off by the performers that night. The entire thing effected me in a profound way and mike's own philosophies have resonated with me. Couldn't agree with DrJ more. There was no pretension by any of the performers, no sticks up their asses, which is found A LOT with metal musicians who have this holier than though attitude, taking themselves entirely too seriously. It was a real transference of energy between bands and the crowd, and Mike really made that clear- I could just hear him saying 'namaste' as he folded his hands and thanked the crowd, formed mudra's with his hands and then finished it all off with hugs to those in the front. Wish there were more good people like him out there, the world would be a better place.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2011 9:58 PM

@2:08am
These photos are great and echo the sounds that YOB and DC both create. A lot of people on here seem to think so as well. SO perhaps you should check your taste. You sound like a disgruntled photographer and have proved yourself to be completely ignorant.

Markus & BBG, great job dudes.

Posted by YB | July 19, 2011 12:21 PM