Posted in music | tour dates on August 16, 2011

DOWNLOAD: Chelsea Wolfe - "The Modern Age" (Strokes cover) (MP3)

Chelsea Wolfe in an old schoolhouse in Gothenburg
Chelsea Wolfe

Chelsea Wolfe's sophomore LP Apokalypsis comes out via Pendu Sound next week (8/23). Until then, you can grab a track HERE and stream the entire thing on NPR who point out:

Like her fellow vaguely gothic femme fatales in Zola Jesus and Fielded, Chelsea Wolfe embraces the otherworldly lushness stemming from Kate Bush and Portishead's Beth Gibbons. But on Apokalypsis, Wolfe digs into the earth and finds something darker and more sinister.
You still have time to get aquainted with the album before Chelsea makes her NYC debut on Wednesday (8/17) at the BV-presented Saint Vitus show with Cult of Youth and Planning for Burial. The NYC show is the last show of a solo tour which otherwise only included European dates (including the Gothenburg show which was pretty DIY and took place in an old schoolhouse with a Love Is All sideproject opening).

"Solo" for Chelsea means she sings & plays guitar while Ben Chisolm runs the computer and other electronics. For future (and past) tours she'll have a full band. As Chelsea told Get Off The Coast:

I have a full band that I prefer to play live shows with, but, for example, on this current tour, I couldn't afford to fly the whole band over so I decided on a simple setup with just Ben (who plays synths in my band) and I, with backing beats, midi keyboard, and my guitar. Having the band onstage with me makes more sense for my sound and vision right now.. We can create an energy and atmosphere together that is so different to sing with than pre-recorded sounds. I'm doing my best with this minimal setup though. I have a show in New York next week on my way home from Europe and I hope that will be my last "solo" show for a while.
She says "last solo show for a while". I say "rare solo show"! Tickets are still on sale. And by the way, the venue sells vegan buns! Check out the tour & show fliers (NSFW) below.

Chelsea recently contributed a cover of "The Modern Age" to Stereogum's Is This It tribute album STROKED. The song is nothing like the original, and pretty much sounds like a Chelsea Wolfe song (which of course isn't a bad thing). Here's what Chelsea had to say about the contribution:

I didn't know this song well before I was given it to cover, so I listened to it a few times in a row and then started just focusing on the words. This song has great lyrics. I decided to pretend it was an old folk song. When I recorded my cover I was really sick and had taken lots of heavy cough syrup. I sat down with my classical guitar and just played it out, then my bandmate Ben (Chisholm) and I added layers of vocals, drums and juno until it felt slow and heavy like the medicine.
Download an MP3 of her cover of "The Modern Age" above. Other stuff below...

Chelsea Wolfe - 'Apokalypsis'

CHELSEA WOLFE ?p???????? from Pendu NYC on Vimeo.

Chelsea Wolfe in an old schoolhouse in Gothenburg
Chelsea Wolfe

Gothengburg setlist
Gothenburg setlist

Chelsea Wolfe solo tour
Chelsea

Chelsea Wolfe -- 2011 Tour Dates
08-17-11 NYC @ Saint Vitus w/ Cult of Youth & Planning For Burial
09-02-11 San Francisco, CA @ Elbo Room

Chelsea Handler > Chelsea Wolfe > Frohawk's Chelsea hookup

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2011 7:29 PM

mehwave

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2011 7:43 PM

We are waiting impatiently for the album

Posted by momo | August 16, 2011 11:37 PM

It is a highly logical article. The author may be an expert. I get much benefit from this article.

Posted by Collezione Hogan 2011 | August 16, 2011 11:37 PM

Will never be able to take seriously since she cited Ayn Rand as an influence.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2011 12:16 AM

Ayn Rand is an influence on hating the lazy children of Williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2011 3:18 AM

Is this Black Metal?

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2011 3:27 AM

Delicate Steven.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2011 3:28 AM

12:16, What kind of bigotted, ignorant statement is this? What, should we hate Lincoln as well since he was an Originalist and a Republican? The more I hear from the supposedly "enlightened" Left these days the less hope I have for mankind.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2011 8:54 AM

"Will never be able to take seriously since she cited Ayn Rand as an influence."

Leaving aside the fact that Rand's writing is dreadful, anyone who claims to be an indie rock aficionado and can't see inspiring parallels in her protagonists - especially Howard Roark - is kind of a moron.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2011 9:30 AM

I cite mamoun as an influence.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2011 9:36 AM

set times tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2011 11:07 AM

Ayn Rand railed against Social Security and any regulation in the banking industry then she got older was friends with Alan Greenspan who worshiped her and she was then on medicare and Social Security in her hypocritical way as she died from cancer.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2011 1:50 AM

^ Incoherent idiot babble. That doesn't have fuck-all to do with her fiction.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 3:12 AM

It surely seems you have not a clue as to what your talking about because her fiction was an explanation of how she viewed a perfect society to be with no restraints or regulation in the banking industry as well as Wall St. You are aware of that aren't you? She was an always literal dim misinterpreting version of Nietzsche in terms of her love of the free market libertarianism which was her be all end all.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 4:07 AM

This explains the regurgitating kids version of Death In June type groups in their worship of sociopath Rand.

Ayn Rand, Hugely Popular Author and Inspiration to Right-Wing Leaders, Was a Big Admirer of Serial Killer
Her works are treated as gospel by right-wing powerhouses like Alan Greenspan and Clarence Thomas, but Ayn Rand found early inspiration in 1920's murderer William Hickman.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 4:37 AM

"3:12 AM you have such a coherent way of expressing yourself. All of Ayn Rands writing is garbage."

The world is full of people who can punch search words into Google. Unfortunately, you're among the mass of them who need it to do their thinking for them as well. The fact of the matter is that Rand is a lousy writer. Her philosophy is rather silly as well. But, contrary to what an illiterate mouth-breather like yourself would suggest, there is much inspiration for an artist to derive from her non-fiction work.

You wouldn't understand that because you're just a common imbecile who sees everything through a political filter that you aren't even competent to grasp, but it is nonetheless true.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 6:36 AM