Posted in music | pictures on August 29, 2011

photos by Amanda Hatfield

Emmy the Great

Emmy the Great visited the US for a couple of shows earlier this month. Her band wasn't able to make it over for the shows but Emmy enlisted the help of Brooklyn band SpaceCamp to back her. After touching down in the US she played a show in Philly on August 17 and then came to NYC's Studio at Webster Hall the next night (8/18). She played a set mainly of material off her recently released LP Virtue, saving time for a few older cuts as well. She ended the show by bringing out Devonte Hynes (aka Blood Orange) to join her for a cover of Weezer's "Island in the Sun."

Joywave opened the NYC show. More pictures and a video are below...

Emmy the Great at The Studio at Webster Hall 8/18/11

Joywave

Emmy the Great

Emmy the NOT SO Great. 2nd time I saw her and was again completely underwhelmed and confused by all the love for her here on Vegan? As a friend of mine in the audience commented "It sounds like she picked up the guitar for the first time last week" combine that with a weak voice, so so songs and you set me up for total confusion. There are 100 ladies who play various NY/BK venues on any given night who slay Emmy in the voice, guitar playing, songwriting category. Can't you give them some ink and love instead of all this Emmy the Great, Lady Lamb the Beekeeper mediocrity?

Posted by Anon | August 29, 2011 11:20 AM

I'd hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 11:57 AM

when did they install that obnoxious "the studio at webster hall" sign?

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 12:09 PM

The new album is great. 11:20, why do you keep seeing her if you are so underwhelmed?

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 12:09 PM

i wonder if it's b/c she's really pretty, though that would be weird, b/c that's never happened before

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 12:42 PM

11:20 here to answer you 12:09. I keep hearing great things about her from sources i trust and respect (bklyn vegan for one) and so thought maybe the 1st time I saw her it was an off night or something as that does happen.

I figured I'd give her another chance to see if she really was (in my opinion) mediocre or if she is special and I just happened to see a not so special show.

Posted by Anon | August 29, 2011 12:51 PM

sve is better

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 1:09 PM

Joywave, whom I did not know beforehand, were pretty decent in their peformance and a nice new discovery for me. Straightforward, uncompromising, versaltile and varied, and a bit loud for the small concert venue. Very good! Emmy started a bit slow IMO, and during the first half of her show I was not really captured. Despite her kind words to the audience she did not really seem to feel all to comfortable. In the second half, though, and with her (solo) encores she won me over, and the finale with a Dev Hynes cameo was really fun. All in all a decent night at the Studio, but a far cry from the best concert ever given that the opener sparked my interest more than the main act.

Posted by Quisquilia | August 29, 2011 1:12 PM

Btw, thank you very much for those awesome photos of the concert!

Posted by Quisquilia | August 29, 2011 1:16 PM

Nothing worse than a stupid cunt that films video at a concert but won't flip their camera horizontally. Every time I see a video that unnecessarily consists of a tiny sliver of content buried between massive black bars on the left and right I want to hurt somebody.

Emmy the Great is spectacular. Miles beyond bland pap like Laura Marling.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 1:46 PM

I do like Emmy's music and really don't want to add to the sexism and perversion running rampant on this blog. That being said, my goodness are those some mind blowing dick sucking lips on that girl. Ohhhhhhhhh the thought.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 1:59 PM

i thought it, he said it. that makes me feel a little less dirty.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 2:32 PM

I heard she's fucking Ted Leo.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 3:28 PM

She's with Tim Wheeler of Ash, not Ted Leo.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2011 10:34 PM

Nah dude, I heard Ted Leo is hitting that on the side. I heard from a reliable source. Ted Leo gets crazy indie pussy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2011 1:19 AM

I am interrupting my wank session to tell you all that I am using these pictures for my wank session. And many wank sessions to come!

Posted by Wank Session Guy | August 30, 2011 1:28 AM