Posted in music | tour dates on August 7, 2011

Escape to NY Sunday (pic via thinkmgazine)
E2NY

Yesterday it was officially announced that next weekend's East Hampton MTK music fetival was cancelled, AND THAT tickets would be honored at this weekend's Southampton music festival Escape to NY which wasn't exactly packing them in, especially on Friday. Well, so much for that plan. Escape to NY has just officially cancelled today, alledgedly due to all the rain that soaked the grounds last night and the rain that's still coming too. The cancellation came after a long delayed opening that had people sitting in the parking lot waiting to finally hear the news. Of Montreal was among the bands set to perform at the fest tonight.

Dana (Distortion) Yavin was onsite all weekend taking pictures for BrooklynVegan and is on her way home as we speak with shots from day one and day two. Stay tuned.

P.S. Q-Tip has also cancelled his Brooklyn Bowl DJ gig tonight, but will be replaced by Reptar and a DJ set by Talib Kweli.

What a complete failure.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:07 PM

The Hamptons are a black hole devoid of culture and meaning. Music festivals and art fairs don't belong there. If it ain't flashy, don't bring it to the Hamptons.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:10 PM

Festivals in the New York metro area can only die. It is all they can do. We can keep trying and they can keep dying.

Posted by Anonymous Jones | August 7, 2011 5:10 PM

The festival was in a crappy field on the side of the road next to a shopping center on rt. 27. They couldn't find a nicer place to have a festival? Pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:22 PM

Thanks BV. This East End festival news/bad news is funnier than The Onion.

You can take the hipsters out of Williamsburg, but they sure won't go anywhere past Bushwick

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:33 PM

i hope they don't cancel the sausage festival

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:33 PM

If you're going to have a festival that's a 2 hour drive from manhattan, there are so many better choices then the hamptons - I have no understanding of what they were thinking.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:41 PM

you should understand that it is not The Hamptons, but the hipsters overinflated sense of their own worth, and their whole scene.

just because you need certain neighborhoods and bands to define who and what you are, this does not mean the rest of the world cares. get over your lame selves. festivals fail in liberty state park too, because you are all self-centered gnats

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:48 PM

^ senseless babble

Thete should have compete frohawk and gotten some street nixxo going

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:52 PM

Girls in the hamptons always wear white sweatpants in public. Why this is, nobody knows.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:53 PM

I mean seriously, White People.

Am I right?

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:56 PM

Fuck the Hamptons. Brooklyn aint feeling the Hamptons. I mean i'm sure the $45 lobster roll is great and all but i'll pass.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:58 PM

Governors Ball is the only NYC area fest that has pulled it off. At least in terms of ticket sales.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 5:59 PM

5:48 is crazy - all points west failed because there was no camping/lodging and no easy way to get home when each night ended - no one who went in 2008 wanted to endure that again in 2009 - plus 2009 had shit weather.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:07 PM

Yeah, 6:07 is correct. APW sold very well, and attendance was strong for both years. The problem was with organization and that STUPID "rain out" when the tickets said rain or shine.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:16 PM

Why is everyone saying "hipsters". I thought this fest was for like weekend warrior burning man steam punk retards?

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:16 PM

Not sure why people are blaming Williamsburg hipsters as if they were responsible for making this a success.

This was just expensive, far away, and a random line-up without big headliners. I don't usually buy the excuse that people can just see concerts in New York City, but today the headliner was Of Montreal who last played Webster for $25. I don't thing throwing in Mates of State justified the $100 ticket price.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:16 PM

6:07 = pathetic hipster.

This whole discussion begs the question: why would you (hipster) want to belong to a club that would have someone like you as a member?

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:16 PM

these people who planned the festival have no idea of bands, the audience and # the bands attract, etc. They seem to be very dim witted.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:22 PM

Hahahahaha, still laughing at this. MGMT and Surfer Blood at the US Open of Surfing yesterday was AWESOME. Any festival someone would put in the Hamptons can suck a fuck when I can watch MGMT with my feet in the ocean FOR FREE.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:29 PM

The yuppies networking

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:34 PM

jacuzzi boy = 6:07

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:42 PM

Black N Blue Bowl is still the most profitable festival in NY

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:54 PM

Who goes to festivals? I don't get it. Even when I was 15 I thought festivals where squaresville.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 6:54 PM

wow i love the tragic tone of the writing here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 7:00 PM

Shitty bands. Shitty location. Floyd Bennett Field would be a great location for a festival. Tons of space and conveniently located. Im sure tickets would sell well if they had some good bands and decent prices.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 7:25 PM

Concert promoters, supply has surpassed demand. Now either get a clue as to how to stand out from your competitors or get a new hustle.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 7:37 PM

Hummus

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 7:42 PM

Music that poor dirty people like in a distant high end locale was not gonna work at any price.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 7:46 PM

Good for all you morons who made the trip.

Posted by Venkman | August 7, 2011 8:03 PM

Lets count 'em down:

1. Trucker's Festival
2. Music to Know Festival
3. Hamptons Fest

What's next on the festival chopping block?

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 8:05 PM

Stick to your northside fest hipsters and promoters. Please don't leave your cage ever again

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 8:16 PM

I went out there. It was a really mixed crowd. A ton of hipsters but I also met middle aged folks who just wanted to check out the music. Most people inside seemed to have free tickets. I really couldn't see this one happening again.

Posted by Gob | August 7, 2011 8:21 PM

i want 1 like it

^_^

Posted by hasan | August 7, 2011 8:32 PM

It's not that complicated. Both Escape to NY and Music to Know were nearly twice the price of Pitchfork and had half the talent. If they priced the fests better, more people would have gone.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 8:49 PM

8:16 is mad that no one came to something he didn't want them to come to. Makes perfect sense. Fucking townie :(

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 8:50 PM

ATP Asbury Park is next. They may have sold out their Jeff Mangun 3 day passes, but what about all the 3 day Jeff Mangum passes, the Portishead 3 day passes, the Jeff Mangum 3 day Portishead passes, the one day Portishead rim job, the four day three night Jeff Mangum Portishead passes, the pick your own Portishead pass, the pass to Jeff Mangum pass and the two day ripper?

I don't think they're selling as many of those.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:03 PM

wrong location for this event. The Hamptons has no hipsters. No one from the Hamptons was interested in this, and the shlep from NYC was too much for the NYC hipsters.

The youth of the Hamptons have middle of the road taste, not hipster taste. Let's not forget that the Hamptons is still suburbia. Rich suburbia, but still suburbia nonetheless. Twenty Somethings out there are into the Dave Mathews Band not indie Bklyn stuff.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:05 PM

this crap was the most pretentiously promoted nonsense of an excuse for a music festival I've seen in years.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:06 PM

A darkwave came over my chillwave when I heard about this events cancellation.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:26 PM

LONG ISLAND IS A CULTURAL WASTELAND. I know, I've lived on this long boring island for more years than I'll ever admit. Which is also why I go to see bands in Brooklyn or NYC. Do I really want to rub elbows with other Long Islanders? No! No one with any sense would go to this "fest. That is why it failed. Those who know who these bands are have seen them in the city. Those who don't know them want to hang out at the Sloppy Tuna and beat that beat up.

Posted by String Island? Wrong Island! | August 7, 2011 9:28 PM

Yanks just can't do festivals period......whiney fucks!

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:41 PM

yeah this is horrible!! what a waste of some great musical talent. Lol @ LONG ISLAND IS A CULTURAL WASTELAND. I work in NYC and I interact with a lot of long island people.. I actually tend to agree with this statement

Posted by jake@free beats | August 7, 2011 9:51 PM

9:28, I heard Long Island slept through Chillwave.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:52 PM

9:29, I heard Long Island slept through Darkwave

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:52 PM

9:52, I heard Long Island slept through brunchwave.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:53 PM

9:53, I heard Long Island slept through witchhouse

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:54 PM

Apparently, Long Island isn't wavey enough.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:56 PM

Lol Yanks. What is this the year of the 1860s retro revival? Douchenozzle.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:57 PM

What the fuck is Nu Gaze?

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 9:58 PM

@Lol Yanks

yeah pretty boring weekend. at least we got race riots from england to keep us entertained.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:05 PM

Newport folk festival is the only viable festival above the Mason Dixon Line.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:08 PM

btw wasn't it Brit who was promoting one of these festivals, excuse me I meant to say festival/ art performance / total mind + body soul experience?

Dumbass.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:13 PM

You've obviously never been to MusikFest in Bethlehem, Pa, 10:08.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:15 PM

can we please have a ban on photographers with stupid nicknames?

Posted by Jacob Blickenstaff | August 7, 2011 10:26 PM

the idea that we even NEED a musical festival of ANY kind around here is absurd. The NYC area has the most shows on a daily basis than just about anywhere in the world. On any given day there are countless choices of all genres, and in the summer there are so many free shows happening at the same time that you have a hard time deciding which ones to go to.

Festivals are for areas of the country that don't have these daily options. At any given evening in the NYC area there are a zillion choices of musical entertainment.

Why promotors still think a festival is needed anywhere within two hours driving distance of the New York Metroplitan area is strange.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:29 PM

nothing exclusive or rare or remarkable in the programming for this, why would you want to travel and spend that much money for bands that have al played in the CIty already and will so again.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:31 PM

ha, two of the biggest acts at this thing just played free area shows already... Patti Smith played Castle Clinton in NYC for free last month and The Psych Furs played a park in Long Island for free this same weekend as this stupid festival in the Hamptons.

fail

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:33 PM

gangster grills

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:34 PM

5:33 The Sausage Festival has been relocated to St. Vitus

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:39 PM

1029 is exactly right.

The spin that the Hampton's promoter was putting on was that the *festival* would incl music + so much more to stimulate the senses.
dimwit brits and others might buy into the money grab but that obviously won't work here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:46 PM

well done 9:03

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:51 PM

maybe if these weren't so fucking expensive and douchey sounding, people would have actually gone.

fuck the hamptons and the rich assholes out there. pretty amazing how property values are turning into shit as well. i hope their kids lose their trust funds.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 10:58 PM

ja cuzzi boys stole kick ball katy's hummus

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2011 11:28 PM

Ja cuzzi boys stole kick ball kay's hummus recipe from frohawk's house.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 12:17 AM

What time does Daft Punk come on?

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 12:17 AM

Daft Punk will come on when Frohawk grows a penis.

never

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 12:33 AM

after reading just half of the comments above let me just say the following:
1. tix were sold 2-for-1 on urbandaddy & livingsocial, then went down all the way to $20-50 for weekend pass on CL.
so you could've gotten there for real cheap.
2. location was fine. the place was very nice and all the "side of the road" talk is BS.
3. why always hipsters are connected in your heads to every festival? ATP didn't have any hipsters coming to besides that just one day of animal collective playing.
the crowd here on saturday was quite diverse and fun.
let me tell you, saturday's E2NY was great time, people looked hot, naked and sexy!

Posted by me | August 8, 2011 1:10 AM

"saturday's E2NY was great time, people looked hot, naked and sexy!"

Yes, this is exactly what I look for when I attend a music festival. Thank you for shedding light on what seemed to be a great time! I wish I had spent eight hours of travel to/from LI and overpriced Hampton room and board to see Best Coast with hot people. I feel like I threw away my weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 1:35 AM

I don't care about hipsters or not hipsters. I just know that I like festivals. And the only festival who got close to decent was APW. As 6:07 said, even though had a very decent line up It was a shit organization.

Yeah, sure, BV is all about haters. Well, I'm not cool (thanks god!) and would love and pay for a good fest. In NY like Lolla or ACL. But this guys make half baked festivals with bands that play here all the time, like for free. A festival, first of all, need bands. Lots of them, multiple stages and shit. Otherwise makes no sense. And second a real headline like Radiohead, Daft Punk, Arcade Fire, Pearl Jam, Pulp, Foo Fighters...basically bands that dont play here every year and really atracts all kinds of people, hispster, not hispster whatever you want to call it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 1:49 AM

I really would love to see if Lolla was in NY and not Chicago people wouldn't be packing to see in the same day Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys and a whole lot shit of bands for the price of one big band in The boring MAdison Square Garden. If I had time and $$ I would be In Lolla. and not with BV haters

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 1:54 AM

music is dead

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 2:02 AM

The promoters of this must've taken a bath. Can't wait to see pictures of the non-existant crowd. Sorry folks, even Patti Smith understands that she isn't a headliner.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 2:03 AM

Mehwave

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 2:28 AM

Jay Reatard > Amy Winehouse

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 2:29 AM

8 hours of travel? how come?
2 hours drive each way, 7-8 hours of fun at the festival, psychedelic furs, edward sharpe, i've enjoyed my saturday and went home.
btw in case you didn't know that already, the vaccines are really boring.

Posted by me | August 8, 2011 6:50 AM

9:28

thanks for you outlook on Long Island. tell us, for how many more years will you be living in your parents basement, before you move to Bushwick?

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 6:52 AM

gangster grills

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 7:42 AM

I lived out in the Hamptons a few years back and my first reaction reading about these events was "who is going to go to this?" There are no affordable hotels, camping spots and the cops are complete assholes. I hope there are some last minute shows about NYC next week.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 8:11 AM

A bunch of mediocre and b-list bands scheduled to play the same day at the same location does not a festival make.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 8:45 AM

6:52 I hope for his/her sake soon - to get away from the likes of you.

No, really, long island is a pit of suck. The sooner good people can escape the better.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 9:02 AM

My #1 problem with brunchwave is that I'm usually too immersed in my bagel w/ lox to realize that msuic is playing in the background.

a toasted everything bagel > Toro Y Moi

a smear of cream cheese > Washed Out

salty lox draped over the above mentioned > Neon Indian

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 9:29 AM

@6:52 My, aren't you charming?

I happen to own my own home on LI, and I never lived in my parents' basement is not habitable. They're a bit pack-ratty. But, whatever.

Me? I live here because I work here.So I work here. Pay high property taxes. Ignore my lawn to the disgust of my neighbors and spend no time going out on Long Island. Again, I'll state LONG ISLAND IS A CULTURAL WASTELAND! Maybe about 15 years ago it had an "O.K." hardcore scene, but now, it's got nothing.

But you 6:52 have fun going out to the Crazy Donkey. I'll make the 45 minute drive into the city to see bands that are are a little more relevant than Danger Danger.

Posted by 9:28 | August 8, 2011 9:34 AM

Kickball Katy's ice cream sundae tattoo or Gucci Mane's ice cream cone tattoo?

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 10:17 AM

why go out when you have all the chickpeas and tahini you could ever want at home?

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 10:19 AM

^you stay outta my fridge! Those are my chickpeas, that is my tahini. I'll kick your ass.

Posted by Strong Island stays in the house. | August 8, 2011 10:30 AM

What do WB/BWick/Queens hipsters and eastern LIers have in common?

A false sense of entitlement.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 11:01 AM

kickball katy's got a nice set of tits.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 12:40 PM

^you win. bravo
@10-29 In a way I can agree with you but I dont because You can say that for most major cities in The USA like Los Angeles, Austin, Chicago,etc... They all have major fests(multiple even in their area) People like me want to go to a fest for the experience and something to do for a weekend. I am still happy we get a lot of shows here. I just wish we had a really good music fest here like something comparable to FYF and Fun Fun Fun Fest.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 12:54 PM

Frohawk was just walking through Central Park #frohawksightings

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 1:03 PM

Daft Punk was blasting through his headphones.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 1:04 PM

Hummus was a dribblin' from his chin

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 1:08 PM

I participated at this festival, camped at the non-glamping* site, 12 miles away from the actual event site, I saw really enjoyed Patti Smith on Friday night.
That being said: The event was an incredibly classist, underachieved attempt, at best.
My initial hope, that this year's folly would lead to something better next year was rained out by the complete lack of regard the organizers seemed to show for the marginalized Shinnecock vendors, the ticket purchasers, and us folks camped at the distant airport...
The highlight being saturday night when camp-site security team got wasted, belligerently driving around in their golf cart with a crew of hippy ravers till way past sunrise.
Thats only fun for the folks who can fit on the cart.
Boo. Dont come back.

*glamping: I learned about this when I got there>>>wft.
bad news.

Posted by Lilah | August 8, 2011 5:40 PM

one, if they are gonna try doing a festival, i dont understand why they don't do it in randall's island

who the fuck wants to go to the hamptons when you can just take a $2.25 bus to randalls island

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2011 1:20 AM

NYC has had some successful festivals..

1-Rock the Bells- Rage Against the Machine
2-The Tibetan Freedom Concert
3-Warped Tour
4-Governor's Ball
5-Electric Zoo

But let's face it anyone who can afford a $250 ticket would rather go to a comfortable venue and not piss in a porta potty, not be covered in mud, worry about getting rained on, wait on line an hour for a beer and over priced food. My guess is that NYC has an older demographic of concert goers who has been spoiled by places like the Bowery or Brooklyn Bowl. It's not like NYC exactly needs the tourism.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2011 10:56 AM

Writing on a couple of these threads. Would love to know who was actually there. Pretty negative responses to something created with the right intentions no? (sorry I'm new about here - perhaps I should be calling the promoters a bunch of cunts also)

Posted by Anony Mouse | August 9, 2011 2:04 PM

"NYC has had some successful festivals.."

Don't forget Lollapalooza. Other big festivals were Horde, Fleadh and Lillith (don't know how successful that was).

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2011 2:08 PM

2:04 - a poster named lilah above you was there and said it didn't seem like the organizers had good intentions...

Posted by Anonymous | August 11, 2011 5:04 PM