Posted in music | tour dates on August 31, 2011

Kevin Seconds at Best Friends Day with 7Seconds (more by Chris Boarts Larson)
Kevin Seconds

Hi. My name is Kevin Seconds, I am 50 years old this year and I have been a touring and recording singer-songwriter/musician for over 30 years now.

If you're reading this and following this group, you probably know of me from my longtime punk rock band 7Seconds or one of my various solo or side projects and support (or have supported) me...

Since the age of 19, I have made my life all about writing, performing and recording music and traveling all over the world to share it with people. It hasn't been easy, it's rarely been glamorous and I can't even say that I've been all that successful with it in the grander scheme of rock & roll things, but it's really the only life I know and the life I want and need, in order for me to stand upright and be happy.

For the past 10 years or so, and besides the occasional 7Seconds gig, I have also spent a lot of time touring by myself, just me and my acoustic guitar. I've made a handful of CDs and records and have been lucky enough to have traveled all over Europe, Canada and the U.S., playing with the likes of Elliott Smith, John Doe, Jonathan Richman, Bob Mould, Exene Cervenka, Chuck Ragan, Evan Dando, Juliana Hatfield, Tim Barry and so many more great artists.

Unfortunately, and for whatever reason, I've never had my own van to take out on the road. I've driven my own cars, have ridden in other people's vans or have spent a fortune renting vehicles from greedy corporate entities who look at every turn to screw me for every last nickel and dime I have.

All of these means of transportation have enabled me to be on the road but I feel that I am now at a sort of 'crossroads' as to what I will do now to keep myself active and working as a touring singer-songwriter, musician and performer. At the moment, there is only one thing really keeping me from being on the road more often and that is the lack of a decent mode of transportation.

I made this Kickstarter project in the hopes of raising enough money to do 1 thing: buy a decent, well-maintained van.

I don't need anything brand new and it doesn't have to be super fancy but it does have to be in GREAT running condition and no older than 10 years old.

Oh, and it needs to get decent gas mileage too.

I am hoping to raise a total of $7000 within the next 30 days and I REALLY REALLY TRULY need your financial help and support....

Love & Thanks,
Kev Seconds

Contribute to Kevin Seconds' kickstarter page (which is already topping $1,100 after only a few hours). Those who pledge $5 will get a personal thank you note. Those who pledge $250 or more will get their own song named after them. View his video testimonial below.

Kevin has four upcoming dates, two solo, and two with 7 Seconds, both of which are at Riot Fests (Chicago and Philly). 7 Seconds just played Best Friends Day. All dates are listed below.

Head to Kevin's bandcamp page for a bunch of new and older material.

Kevin Seconds -- 2011 Tour Dates
06 NOVEMBER @ The Masquerade - Purgatory, Atlanta, GA w/ David Dondero
12 NOVEMBER @ Troubadour - West Hollywood, CA w/ Bouncing Souls

7 Seconds -- 2011 Tour Dates
Sep 24 - Riot Fest, Philadelphia, PA
Oct 09 - Riot Fest, Chicago, IL

Maybe this will be like the time he wanted a new laptop and nobody donated.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 12:59 PM

Someone has been reading the B9. BV, give credit where credit's due.

Kevin Seconds is pathetic for doing this btw.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:00 PM

Wow, this brings "sparin' for change" to a whole new level.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:09 PM

not punk.

Posted by d | August 31, 2011 1:13 PM

I have to sell some deeply personal possessions next week to pay my rent. Perhaps I should start a kickstarer?

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:13 PM

30 years in the game and can't afford a van. Get a job dude.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:16 PM

I really don't see the harm in asking fans to chip in on things. If he played House of Vans, everyone would give him a ton of shit.

This is a way to potentially raise money, only from willing donors. He's not even threatening to retire! He's just saying "in order to tour, a van would be helpful".

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:34 PM

I don't see a problem with this either. His fans will step up no problem. The negativity of these commenters is just wasted energy. BUt hey, as long as it makes them fell better

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:43 PM

1:16 as much as I love me 7 Seconds (young till I die, son) that comment made me laugh

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:44 PM

if he was a real punk he would hang out in brooklyn and steal a van. maybe a van with a trailer filled with guitars and amps.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:45 PM

This guy is asking for "Seconds" Most people don't even have firsts...the economy is tough there sonny!

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:46 PM

".the economy is tough there sonny!"

That's a myth. How has the economy affected YOU

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:52 PM

I'm 39 and been listening to 7-Seconds since I was 15. Kevin is a great guy, super friendly and down to earth, who could really use some people in the music community's help. I just donated and so should you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 2:01 PM

1:52...wage reduction...how is that answer!

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 2:07 PM

1:52 also my property taxes went up 10% do to township mismanagement and a bad economy...I could keep going on and on. Oh wait tolls are going up! Umm pay attention to the world around you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 2:09 PM

*correction due to

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 2:09 PM

At 3K I need a maid. Kevin Seconds will do.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 2:11 PM

"even at 50 years old, straight edge legend kevin seconds is still doing it himself. faced with seemingly insurmountable debts and at a crossroads over whether he'd continue performing and writing songs, he chose to work 12 hour shifts at Bob's Big Boy waiting tables and mopping floors. He truly is the benchmark by which others should be measured."

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 2:27 PM

I donated. Kevin Seconds is cracker jack!

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 2:37 PM

Why doesn't 7 seconds have some shows in NYC and have the cash donated for this cause? I mean, he/7 seconds are a band. That's ... um, what you do

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 2:54 PM

He should buy himself a clown car...and then find a toilet and jump in it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 3:10 PM

If we can walk together, why can't we donate $$ toward a new van together?

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 3:12 PM

312, I was waiting for someone to do a play on lyrics.
You and I in a dealership lot...
looking at van's with the money i got.

Posted by anonymous | August 31, 2011 3:34 PM

It kinda breaks my heart that this is all 30 years of Skins, Brains & Guts gets you...not even enough money for a van and a bunch of wiseguys cracking jokes about you on a music blog comments thread.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 4:05 PM

Why doesn't he just get in touch with John Joseph then?

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 4:20 PM

gave all i could give to the smith westerns' gear fund. sorry.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 4:35 PM

can i live life like this?

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 4:55 PM

you folks are idiots. go outside.. who cares.

Posted by mot | August 31, 2011 6:55 PM

Good luck Kevin! You have written songs that have inspired me since I was 15. I'm almost 40. U have never sold out or lost your soul. Kickstart is a great tool against corporate music so why not help eachother out? I'm sick of greedy bastards with no compassion who think they can judge everyone. Most of them still live with their parents and buy shit at hot topic.

Posted by Lunker | August 31, 2011 6:59 PM

i hate corporations, but beg for donations from people with jobs

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 7:18 PM

What's so bad about getting a job AND being an artist? Lots of people have jobs to support themselves and still find/ make time to seriously make art, play music, and pursue their creative dreams.

As someone who went to art school, has student and has loans I need to ask: is Kev's debt just going to go unpaid when he scores the van?

As someone who lives in Brooklyn (which is not cheap), is married, works a job, writes a blog, plays an instrument, and makes art- sure, it is a balancing act, but clearly someone as determined and talented as Kevin Seconds can keep moving fwd while paying his bills and saving some money.

Kev seems like a really nice guy and I had a few of his records. But it sounds like somebody needs to face reality and realize that he's an adult. I don't get why 40 yr old supporters are behind this project. Grow up, get a job and pay some bills Kev. Then you can support your hobby and be an adult Kev.

Listen kids: cherish your punk rock years. Mine were great and I wouldn't trade them for anything. But realize that after 35, it's time to get with the program and move out of your parents' basement, stop begging for change on St Marks, and GET A JOB!

I guess punk rock didn't turn out out to be all that Kev...

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 7:32 PM

From wikipedia:

"In 2001, Kevin and his wife Allyson Seconds opened the popular "True Love Coffeehouse" in Sacramento, CA but closed 4 years later after multiple problems with the landlord of the building. In 2006, Kevin reopened True Love in a new building, not far from the original location. He recently closed it for personal, economical and philosophical differences with his business partners. Kevin and Allyson have no immediate plans to re-open the cafe."

He tried a real job in a manner of speaking. Unfortunately, his economic and philosophical sensibilities got in the way. I know what that's like, as my sense that he's a grown man with moronically child-like ideals precludes me from sending a plugged nickle. There's always mass transit, big guy. The peoples' van!

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 8:14 PM

all our prays

Posted by Never Forget | August 31, 2011 8:31 PM

True Love Coffeehouse was the best place to hang out in Mid-Town Sacramento when it was around (I know that's not saying much, but smaller towns need these kind of places much more than Brooklyn does). It's really a shame it's not there anymore. Wish you all the best, Kevin!

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 8:38 PM

As a visual artist, I can't stand some of the lame art projects that get funded on kickstarter, and I think this cause is more valid than lots of those. I really doubt Kevin Seconds is making much coin touring, so Fuck it. It is sort of desperation, but if people want to hep the guy out, then who cares?

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 10:50 PM

Times are tough. Give the guy a fucking break. If this were Sweden, he'd have a goverment subsidy for this purpose. But making music and making money don't go hand in hand in a capitalist system. I guess I wouldn't really want my tax dollars going to Aqua's van though, so whatevs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 11:17 PM

has this dude ever stopped to consider that maybe he's not good at what he does?

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 11:45 PM

But making music THAT NO ONE LIKES and making money don't go hand in hand in a capitalist system.

I fixed that for you, 11:17. And seriously, would you really want a bunch of dimwitted government bureaucrats choosing what music is and is not deserving of subsidies?

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 11:58 PM

Aqua?

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 1:14 AM

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2011 1:13 PM

Yes a lot of us have been in that position. Ive liked 7 Seconds for as long as many on here and Kevin seems like a genuine guy but this is a turn off when as noted he can play a few shows to make a down payment on a van and how about racking up some of that on a credit card.

Oh well its sort of a practical request maybe compared to some of the other Kickstarter funds for a large comedy event or every piece of band equipment and then some for much better off financially groups.

Maybe the people who donate get a gift like when theres pledge drives at WFMU or the other great independent radio stations around the country??

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 3:43 AM

11:45 pm - thank you, finally some truth

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 8:14 AM

If we can walk together why can't you give me money so I can buy a van together (not really together, I'll just be using it for myself).

Posted by Kevin Seconds | September 1, 2011 9:37 AM

Get some perspective people.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 11:12 AM

^no what it means is that after a 30 year career dude still doesn't have 7k for a van. Music is the only business where people will continually fail. A stockbroker who keeps loosing $ doesn't stay at it for 30 years. A restauranteur whose restaurants keep going under eventually pursues another line of work. This dude keeps at it no matter what the returns are. If he needs 7k for a van after 30 years of professional experience, the returns are not good. Depending on how you look at it this makes him heroic or very misguided. I'm on the very misguided side.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 12:34 PM

"Just cause the typical BV crowd doesn't generally like this type of music doesn't mean this guy is not good at what he does. Nor does it mean NO ONE LIKES it."

"NO ONE ..." is a figure of speech. The dude has his hand out for money to buy a used fucking van. It speaks for itself.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 1:08 PM

12:34: I was referring to the quality of music (which was what I thought regarding some of the comments here), not how he manages his money. Although, being in the music business with this type of scene, it isn't uncommon for people to just barely make ends meet.

1:08: Well then why did you emphasize "NO ONE" in caps then? That implies you wanted people to see those two words in particular at face value. It's obviously not true that there is "NO ONE". This music does have a fan base.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 4:25 PM

Prediction: Kevin Seconds does not get 7,000 for the van.

Even though he denies it, he IS asking for a handout to pay for his art/lifestyle. I'd also like to say that if your art is not paying the rent, then it is a hobby (which is an activity that may be personally enriching and inspiring to others, but it's still a hobby! Not a career.

For a 50 yr old he definitely comes across as a man-child (or a man-teen) still living a fantasy which is very misguided and immature.

Don't get me wrong. I think Kevin is a talented guy, but how many people have their music on bandcamp, write a zine or blog, or make art? Now how many of those people depend on it as the primary source of their income?

My advice to Kevin: Look around. Artists need to pay their way too. And if you're not making the cash from your art, then go find a job to help you pay your bills while you keep working at it.

Clearly Kevin's determined, but he should be putting some effort into supporting his dream himself outside of thank-you doodle drawings. Otherwise he will be going from asking for a van to asking for us to pay his rent so he can be a full-time songwriter (and doodle artist "thank you" card master).

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 4:29 PM

only those with the most horsepower survive

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 6:25 PM

I forgot my wallet today. I'm gonna do a Kickstarter so I can go to the vending machine.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 7:51 PM

"He tried a real job in a manner of speaking. Unfortunately, his economic and philosophical sensibilities got in the way."

Ever had a job, dude? So he "tried a real job" but his philosophy got in the way? Try holding down a career as a grownup. Your philosophies will get in the way fifty times a day.

This commenter makes it sound like the only noble thing to do if your job requires you to compromise is to quit and beg for money on Kickstarter.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 7:55 PM

I apologize for my comment immediately above. I see now that the original commenter was being sarcastic. My frustration over this stupid post got the best of me! Guess I'd better go do a Kickstarter so I can get some chamomile tea and calm down!

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 7:56 PM

hipsters commenting on "earning a living"

now that is ironic

"Hi Dad, yeah it's me. Can you add another 0 to this month's check. Yeah, thanks, you're the best."

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2011 8:43 PM

Well, something you negative nellies don't seem to understand is that Kevin Seconds sends out a message of positive thinking, unity, and mutual support among peers.

That means that his fans like those concepts. Which means his fans are VERY likely to support him and be positive. Which was proven by the fact that he raised the entire $7000 within 72 hours.

Put that in your nay-saying pipe and smoke it, bitches.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe Kevin is not a man-child, but is instead just principled? That idealism is not a childish trait, but rather our mental weaknesses as children is exactly what causes us to abandon idealism once the going gets rough and learn to "compromise" and "be practical"? That those who maintain that idealism and childlike thinking are stronger than the rest of us and special?

All you're doing is exposing your own weak mindedness by your FUD commentary. Try this: skip work one day next week and go do something helpful for someone else.. volunteer at a charity or help your mother or grandma with a task they can't accomplish on their own, or get involved in a community project. See how it makes you feel. Prediction: Your life will get better and you'll be a happier person. You won't lose your job and everyone will be better off in the end.

Posted by Young Until I Die | September 2, 2011 6:57 PM

I believe kick starter is some kind of virtual investor site where people who have proposals hope to secure some kind of funding. After looking around, some projects seem well-thought out, while other seem self-indulgent.

Having worked with 7 Seconds and just looking at their longevity, they're sincere and down to earth. Making awful comments on Kev's personal beliefs shows ignorance and hate, and spoiled, self-righteous attitudes.
30 plus years!!!! where will the majority of new groups featured on this site be in 30 years?!

You don't like 7 Seconds music, ok.
Not into h.c.? ok.
But to trash talk behind a computer is so friggin' lame.
And yes, I don't like the kickstart proposal myself, but to further attack him for going out on a limb and starting a business is non-sense. No wonder why so many people show disdain for hipsters.

Posted by jeff | July 23, 2012 1:46 PM

can i live life like this?

Posted by unertruc | October 23, 2012 6:20 PM