Posted in music | tour dates on August 19, 2011

"Sorry to all at Pukkelpop who endured the disastrous storm. Tune-Yards will be back and we're sending strength out to those injured!" - merrill garbus

Pukkelpop

Translated to English by Google:

Pukkelpop is in deep mourning. We feel much sympathy to the families and friends of the victims. Words can not describe. We can therefore not easy to reconcile the festival continue to take place. Therefore, we decided to Pukkelpop 2011 for the rest of the weekend to stop.

What happened here is exceptional and has been very unpredictable. We are very touched by all the spontaneous help that our festival goers and we received.

We call on all Pukkelpop Press on to a serene way back home again. There are extra buses and trains loaded to everyone back home.

Many of you are undoubtedly a lot of practical questions, we urge you to focus on this info@pukkelpop.be .

We ask everyone to bring understanding to this very difficult decision.
[pukkelpop.be]

Tons of bands were set to play the Belgium festival on Friday and Saturday (and Thursday). Those include Deftones, Suicidal Tendencies, The Antlers, SBTRKT, WU Lyf, Crystal Castles, Eminem, Bouncing Souls, Fucked Up, Off!, A-Trak, The Kills, Lykke Li, Sebadoh, Mount Kimbie, Matthew Dear, Wild Beasts, Yuck, Twin Shadow, Odd Future, The Horrors, Blonde Redhead, Warpaint, and many, many more.

I can't wait for the Odd Future statement about the cancellation.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 1:38 AM

how much you wanna bet that all these band's booking agents sue the festival for canceling and not paying.

INDIE AGENCIES = CLASSY OPERATIONS

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 1:43 AM

It sickens me to see yet another stage collapse in the same week. Something needs to be done about this. It is careless and just awful.

Posted by David | August 19, 2011 1:55 AM

its the smith westerns fault

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 1:56 AM

why smith westerns
why

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 1:58 AM

"Tune-Yards will be back"

The worst news of all.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 2:03 AM

I can't believe the statement made no mention of the Smith Western's gear. I'm sure some politician is already up writing a law. They'll call it the Smith Western Act of 2011.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 2:05 AM

1:43, I will bet you a days worth of pita chips and hummus they will sue.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 2:13 AM

listen, you have this many motherfuckers in one place, somebody's bound to die.

real talk.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 2:28 AM

2:28 word, hype kills

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 2:36 AM

Careless? Come on, don't be dense or at least have a talk with God about the weather being careless.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 5:55 AM

1:38

Booking agents will have hard time suing for an "Act Of God", in this case an unforeseen freak storm.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 7:32 AM

yes but no doubt the victims will sue... the structures should be made to withstand strong storms..

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 7:57 AM

@1:43 - 7:32 is correct. In legal terms, this tragedy is called an act of "Force Majeure" that was endangering lives, which cancels out all previous legal obligations. Most of the artists will still be paid their contractual "kill fees" though (and I'm not trying to be funny or crass...that's what those types of fees are actually called).

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 8:51 AM

victims and relatives of the deceased can sue- in fact possibly manslaugther charges are applicable if willful neglect can be proved.

what's a "strong" storm, in legal terms? but yeah we'll see how it shakes out and if there was negligence on the part of the promoters both there and in indiana.......

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 10:23 AM

As a lawyer, I feel obligated to point out that the legal analysis here is really, really off-point. In particular the post that attempts to apply model penal code (MPC) manslaughter. First, not only did you incorrectly state the MPC standard, but the MPC does not apply ANYWHERE -- it is a model. But, more importantly, learn something about choice of law and, to a lesser extent, jurisdiction -- Belgian law, obviously, would control. Leave it to lawyers, people -- impersonating a lawyer is a crime in EVERY state, and that is clearly what people are doing here.

Posted by Mitchfork | August 19, 2011 10:57 AM

Uhm "Mitchfork"...I'm 8:51 (but NOT 10:23 who I believe you're mainly addressing) and I too am a lawyer. My Force Majeure comment as to why the artists most likely won't be able to sue the festival for not continuing despite the weather related tragedy still stands. You're not the only attorney who comments on this blog Mitch.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 11:04 AM

Let's all butt fuck, and I'll show you how I Force Majeure all up in your anal womb.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 11:24 AM

Yes, you are correct regarding force majeure.

Posted by Mitchfork | August 19, 2011 11:25 AM

Thanks Mitch. You can see the intelligent company we keep with people like 11:24. What are we doing on here? LOL!

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 11:27 AM

being lame music geeks

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 11:36 AM

11:27 -- do you have a Twitter? Mine is new but I try to focus on the law as it may be applicable to independent bands. Also, during Pitchfork and Lollapalooza, I lobbied for the media to focus more on the legal issues behind these concerts, rather than the bands (which everyone knew about, already). I have met a couple other lawyers who have similar interests. You should check it out though, and add me if you like. I am currently organizing a fundraiser in Chicago for The Smith Westerns lost equipment (yes, I know that was by far the lesser tragedy, but it can be tough for a young band, nonetheless).

Posted by Mitchfork | August 19, 2011 11:42 AM

the smith westerns are destitute

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 11:55 AM

fuck lawyer rock.

Posted by brunchwave4eva | August 19, 2011 12:04 PM

Mitch: you condescending insufferable twat. I will comment on matters, legal and otherwise, as I see fit. It's called free speech,
something about which you seem to know very little.

When you make a comment that "clearly people" here are "impersonating" lawyers you are the one who is off base as I never made a statement as such.

To equate losing equipment with the word tragedy truly shows what moron you are. an annoyance, an inconvenience, a hassle
perhaps- but a "tragedy" really displays a poor choice of words as
well as your basic comprehension of the actual event.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 12:17 PM

here's the difference between europe and USA, where "the business must go on".
gotta sell more fried food to the obese hoosiers at the state fair.

Posted by me | August 19, 2011 12:31 PM

Your understanding of "free speech" is incompetent. I worked two years with the ACLU so I think I know a thing or two about the First Amendment. You need to watch more episodes of The Good Wife to brush up on your jargon.

Also, losing equipment IS a tragedy. It is a LESSER tragedy, BY FAR, but it can be tough for a young band to replace lost equipment. I detailed the event, at length, in another post, so I won't go into it here. But there is no reason to have to justify having a cool, fun event to raise money for a local, young band. I am not the only one who is excited about this project. Two partners at my firm have already donated $250 to the project, and I think $5000 is a reasonable goal. Helping them get back on their feet means they will be able to return to entertaining fans sooner -- a win/win and, not to be brash, but probably what their fans who died/injured would have wanted.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 12:40 PM

Mitch, your words speak for themselves. you must be be one piss poor shitty lawyer. you can take your law degree and wipe your ass with it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 12:50 PM

I am not sure how detailing the law and organizing successful fundraisers for young artists makes me a shitty lawyer. But since my firm paid me $245,000 last year, I will not take your insult too personally.

Posted by Mitchfork | August 19, 2011 12:53 PM

just because people died you don't have to go and cancel the whole festival. they did not cancel the indiana state fair.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 12:58 PM

Mitchfork is really psyched about his upper middle class paycheck

you're a neat guy, Mitchfork

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 5:14 PM

I have attended this very festival many times and may say that it has always been well-organised. A hailstorm of this magnitude however could not have been foreseen in the month of august. Nobody sells or builds tents that are capable of withstanding a lightning-struck 100-years-old tree falling down on top of it. What I read is that most injured or killed were actually struck by trees, branches or flying debris.
Belgians (europeans in general) in addition don't have this lawsuit/suing culture which Americans tend to be so fond of, so most remarks here are quite ill-placed if you'd ask me without thinking about the hundreds of victims.

Posted by Anynomous | August 19, 2011 5:15 PM

why would anyone be so shit for brains naive as to waste their time and energy organizing a benefit show for a band that lost *maybe* $2500 worth of gear, and got payed over $25000 for the appearance??

not to mention the gear was rented Euro tour gear, bands that profitable carry insurance, and the band has already indicated they expect the festival to pay for their shit

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 5:18 PM

what the fuck are you thinking organizing a benefit for the this asshole band?

the Smith Westerns should be organizing benefits for the victims of this disaster that they so flippantly blew off - as penance to save their careers.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 5:24 PM

mitchfork is looking to kiss smith westerns ass to try to get some more representation

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 6:37 PM

Smith Westerns are rich kids..they'll be fine.. lets move on to real victims

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2011 7:29 AM

Is there any update on this incident? Seems like we had a flurry of failed stage crashes and then Irene came!

Posted by Animal Attack | September 2, 2011 8:26 AM

fuck indie rock ambulance chasers

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 9:15 AM