Posted in music | tour dates on August 12, 2011

by Andrew Sacher

Smashing Pumpkins at Terminal 5 in 2010 (more by Jen Maier)
Smashing Pumpkins

The Smashing Pumpkins (aka Billy Corgan and some other people) have a lot up their sleeves for the next few months. For one, they're reissuing all of their pre-breakup albums, despite Billy's feelings on nostalgia. They plan to reissue the material over the course of the next three years, starting with a reissue of the first two albums Gish and Siamese Dream on November 15 via EMI. Reissues of Pisces Iscariot, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, The Aeroplane Flies High, and Adore are due out in 2012 and the Machina albums will be reissued as a set with a greatest hits album in 2013.

Billy, who thinks albums are no longer relevant and instead began working on the Teargarden by Kaleidyscope project, where the band will release individual songs and compile EPs of every four songs, is also working on a new Smashing Pumpkins LP, Oceania. He recently spoke to Musicradar about how the new album might come off as a contradiction:

I still stand by my view that I don't think albums are particularly relevant at this time. That may change. But as far as making music... Nobody I know listen to albums anymore. Nobody. I don't care if they're 20 or 55. But for me, from a writing point of view, it's really going to focus me to put a group of songs together that are supposed to go together.

It's been a while, so I'm looking forward to making one cohesive statement, the idea that you can say something bigger with a group of songs. And if it pushes me harder to write better music, and people only end up listening to the three best songs, I can live with that. In the past that would have really pissed me off.

The one-song-at-a-time thing has, in many ways, turned this into a singles format. It puts so much pressure on the one song we're releasing, and people then read more into it than they should. For instance, why would we release, say, a cool B-side when we're going to get 50,000 people on Twitter saying, 'This song sucks!'? Maybe they don't get the joke of why we put it out. So I'm really looking forward to getting into some deeper material, and maybe the seventh-best song on Oceania, if it was put up by itself on the internet, it might not get the proper look that it could when it's grouped in with other songs.

Oceania is set to come out in early 2012 and the tracklist is below. The album is putting the plans of releasing individual songs on hold. The most recent song the band did was "Owata," which was finished earlier this year. You can watch the video for that track below.

The Smashing Pumpkins are going on a short tour in October while they prepare a larger one for 2012. They're reportedly playing "material off Oceania, classics, and deep cuts." The tour is with Fancy Space People (featuring Don Bolles of The Germs, Celebrity Skin, 45 Grave) and Light FM (featuring current Pumpkins bassist Nicole Fiorentino). They'll play NYC on October 18 at Terminal 5. Tickets go on sale Friday (8/19) at 10 AM. All dates below...

The Smashing Pumpkins - "Owata"

Oceania Tracklist:

10/15 - Detroit, MI @ The Fillmore
10/17 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
10/18 - New York, NY @ Terminal 5
10/19 - Providence, RI @ Lupo's
10/21 - Boston, MA @ Orpheum Theatre
10/22 - Philadelphia, PA @ Tower Theatre

Smashing Pumpkins's music did not age well. I tried listening to them the other day, and Billy's voice gave me an ulcer.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:35 AM

I still think it's so cool that he got that Siamese Dream cover kid to play bass in his band (they are not the SP's though).

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:37 AM

I still listen to albums. Everyone I get I listen all the way through at least once...if one song caught my attention I am sure something else on the album will.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:38 AM

Is Corgan planning on insulting his audience at these shows? I will only attend if he is going to make an ass of himself.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:39 AM

an old friend (who is no longer a friend) was a huge pumpkins fan and it made me hate them even more. thank god i'm no longer friends with him.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:46 AM

I disagree with the notion that no one listens to albums anymore. Sure if your target audience is the iTunes crowd and you're in it ford the money then it doesn't make sense to make an album. Even considering that there's a list of the top albums on iTunes so he's wrong for stating that no one listens to albums anymore. I personally hate buying one off tracks and I only do it when the song isn't available on an album.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:46 AM

billy corgan lives in a dream world where people only do things that he does (ie download one song and not the entire album). he's pathetic

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:48 AM

jesus, just please go the fuck away already

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:50 AM

He's getting fatter.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:52 AM

ha i still (predominantly) listen to entire albums as well, including siamese dream and mellon collie (although usually just one disc at a time, so not sure that counts as listening to the album, but i do listen to both discs?)

i also frequently play bodies and xyu on internet jukeboxes

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:52 AM

I kinda agree on the album thing. Sure, when I get a new album, i listen through a few times to separate the wheat from the chaff. But then I just pretty much only listen to a few of the songs.

Then again, I also think the SP albums (the first few anyway) totally still hold up. Though there's no denying corgan's an ass. Not that I wish it had happened, but sometimes I pretend that he and Rivers Cuomo died together in a bus accident in 1996. They'd be legends now, instead of... this.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:57 AM

Looks like he's lost touch with the indie community if he literally knows of NO ONE that listens to albums. How is that possible?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:57 AM

billy corgan and chan marshall should get good 'n loaded and do an acoustic thing together. now THAT i would pay full price for.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:57 AM

So...no one listens to albums anymore, but he is still putting out an album?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 11:59 AM

These comments are absurd! Smashing Pumpkins fucking ruled the 90s. Gish still sounds like a good indie band today, and Siamese Dream is a 5-star album.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:00 PM

When I buy an album and find that only a few songs are good I pretty much lose interest in the band entirely and completely forget about them.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:02 PM

it's not surprising that somebody that hangs out with Paris Hilton and Tila Tequila doesn't know anybody that listens to albums

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:03 PM

if he dropped the 'smashing pumpkins' name, and just admitted he was a solo artist, it would be better.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:06 PM

I'd take ZWAN over this.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:10 PM

Billy Corgan is a big dude. Seriously.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:11 PM

If Billy just stopped whining, people might listen again.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:12 PM

Billy Corgan. A beautiful contradiction. But, seriously find me a better songwriter in the last 30 years? Yeah, didn't think so.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:13 PM

12:13- I like Smashing Pumpkins, but you can't be serious, can you?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:18 PM

Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, and Gish are WAY better albums then 95% of the bands on this site can ever hope to make. That being said I have absolutely no interest in this incarnation of SP or any new music they make!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:19 PM

anyone watch that video? check out the tits on that one slut...theyre HUGE! love huge tits on a trashy slut...like kickball katy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:32 PM

12:13 - I agree completely. An absolutely brilliant guitarist, musician, and songwriter. His ego and struggle are all part of the brilliant madness and sadness that is the Smashing Pumpkins. Billy IS the Smashing Pumpkins, period.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:37 PM

12:13, Alex Turner. Best songwriter of his generation, hands down.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 12:43 PM

Nicole isn't in Light FM anymore. Relevant comment?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 1:09 PM

12:37.

You're right. Any idiot that states they needed Iha and D'arcy to like them are missing the point. The band is, was, and will always be Billy.

Jimmy was a pretty incredible drummer, however. His contributions are pretty undenaible.

However, talk about an artist challenging his audience from album to album. When did Billy ever repeat himself? Even Zeitgeist didn't repeat. It's the only terd in the catalog.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 1:10 PM

I have a hard time hating on Billy Corgan b/c of all the amazing shit he came out with over the years. Siamese Dream has to be one of the best albums of all time. That song "Mayonnaise" is the f'ing truth, god damn. I was obsessed with Mellon Collie to the point where it started getting scary. Guy is a genius, no doubt about it.

But listening to him speak / reading his interviews these days is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I just feel bad for him. Falling from grace that hard can't be easy.

Posted by Duder | August 12, 2011 1:16 PM

>jesus, just please go the fuck away already

>He's getting fatter.

yes and yes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 1:34 PM

Billy is SP no matter how you want to look at it. Everyone else was fine but every hit they ever had came from him and only him

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 1:50 PM

My new perspective on Billy Corgan is that I was fortunate enough to have my musical taste intersect with his constantly (d)evolving song writing output for a few years. Siamese Dream is a near perfect record, and I really do appreciate that he never made the same record twice, and kept challenging himself and his fans. Unfortunately, most of his stuff is unlistenable these days, or my tastes have changed too much, but I appreciated the ride.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 1:51 PM

i remember back in 2000 we had to write about some event that "changed" us for a stupid paper. all of the kids wrote about these personal BS stories and i wrote about the smashing pumpkins breaking up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 2:02 PM

During the good ole days of smashing pumpkins, Billy would eat hummus daily... Now it seems he eats lots of corn dogs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 2:09 PM

1:51

You said it way more eloquently than most on this board who just say "fuck off billy."

I think most of us respect this artist on some level or can appreciate a point in our lives that was intersected by the music.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 2:15 PM

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 2:16 PM

Shit band at a shit venue (T5. Go kill yourself billy corgan.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 2:22 PM

SP/STP/JA tour @ T5. Now THAT would rock!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 2:25 PM

12:13, yeah Billy is talented as a songwriter, but you're making a bold statement there... Just off the top of my head in the last 30 years, hmm, let's see.. Richard Thompson, Difford/Tillbrook, Andy Partridge, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Matthew Sweet, Glen Hansard, Babyface (don't laugh, he wrote just about every R&B song on the charts from like 1990-1995), Diane Warren, just to name a few. Shall I continue?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 2:27 PM

Matthew Sweet and Difford/Tillbrook are ace!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 2:54 PM

Glenn Tilbrook = the maestro

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 3:04 PM

I was pretty much obsessed with SP as a teenager. I don't know if he's the best songwriter of the past 30, but he was really, really prolific from 90-00.. His best b-sides (whir, vanity, cherry, jupiter's lament, home, obscured etc) were pretty amazing imo.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 3:05 PM

3:05 - Agreed. No doubt he's prolific and talented. But best songwriter of the last 30 years is a tad of a stretch.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 3:11 PM

he looks like that fat bald dude from the pixies

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 3:20 PM

Best songwriter of the last 30 years is more than a stretch, its fucking insane in the membrane.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 3:29 PM

more like smashing blumpkins lol

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 3:40 PM

3:29 - Insane in the brain?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 3:56 PM

Personally I prefer smashing chickpeas over smashing pumpkins.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 4:02 PM

B-Real = greatest songwriter in the past 36 years.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 4:13 PM

I don't understand what they mean and i could really give a fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 4:31 PM

Maybe people don't listen to albums with running times similar to "Mellon Collie" or "The Wall" anymore, but I think that bands have responded to changing taste by creating more focused albums, albeit shorter in length. LP's had originated this style, but once CD's popped out and bands could put over 80 minutes of material onto one disc, tracks that may have be left off the album made the cut due to the extra room. Now we are in the golden age of the 40 minute album. 10 songs to state your purpose. I think thats just right.

Posted by Doc | August 12, 2011 5:14 PM

If a band can't make a good album, i can't say that I have any real respect for them simply because they have a song or two that I like.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 5:46 PM

love this band. saw them at T5 and was even sold on the new lineup.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 6:01 PM

Fact: Billy Corgan has massive rosacea discoloration all over his left hand.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 6:03 PM

hmm... trying to figure out which is worse, smashing pumpkins or smashing pumpkins fans.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 6:58 PM

Clearly he's the fattest songwriter of the last 30 years.

Really out of touch to say people don't listen to albums anymore

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 7:33 PM

7:33, Dan Deacon is fatter. Does he write songs though?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 8:20 PM

7:33, Adele is fatter.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 8:46 PM

Hang on 8:20, I stand corrected. the guy in Fucked Up is much fatter as is Biggie Smalls and Fat Joe. Beyonce is not the fattest lady but easily has the fattest ass. and write her own stuff I believe.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 8:53 PM

12:13 - I've found you a better songwriter and his name is Nick Cave.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2011 10:15 PM

He does write great songs and continues to do so, he needs someone else to sing them though.

Posted by ding dong | August 12, 2011 11:15 PM

it's a toss up between Janes Addiction and Smashing pumpkins as to who is the biggest let down from my youth.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 12:56 AM

no one cares about how big the tits are on the sluts in the video?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 1:20 AM

No matter how great you might think those earlier albums are (and greatest band of the nineties? Really? "I'm just a rat in a cage?") the fact is he's not the same person he was fifteen years ago. He went from a geeky, naive rocker kid who tried really, really hard to be successful into spoiled, bitter, out of touch shell who can't come to terms with the fact that he'll never have a hit video on MTV or go triple platinum again and clings to relevance by dating Jessica Simpson, dragging a corpse of a band on the road and crying about the fact that pavement made fun of him in 1995. (seriously - he's still upset about this.)

This is the reality, folks.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 9:21 AM

Well, I guess that settles it. Thanks for taking that leadership. 9:21. I guess that we can shut down Brooklyn Vegan, no check that, the entire internet. Might as well get out of Google and Yahoo now, before the shares plummet ... oh, never mind :) Anyway, thanks for setting us all straight, 9:21. Too bad you are 180 degrees from the actual truth. It must have seemed nice in your puny mind while it lasted, though. Now, eat up your peas and carrots so you can go outside and play in the cornfield with your friends.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 2:01 PM

terminal 5 > smashing pumpkins

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 6:14 PM

Smashing Pumpkins > Nirvana > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 6:40 PM

fix'd that for ya 6:40

"Smashing Pumpkins > Nirvana > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam > Steve Albini > Odd Future"

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 7:00 PM

Smashing Pumpkins > Nirvana > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam

^ Maybe if you're rating band names.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 8:36 PM

James Murphy bailed Frohawk out once for smashing pumpkins. The Police on the scene handed Murphy a cassette player, headphones, and two Daft Punk tapes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 9:10 PM

Fixed that for you: Daft Punk> Frohawk> Chillwave> brunchwave> Hummus>Smashing Pumpkins > Nirvana > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam > Steve Albini > Odd Future

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 9:11 PM

I'm pretty sick of sublime, nirvana, naked and famous, adele, pearl jam, radiohead, and smashing pumpkins. Its all that the alternative radio stations play these days.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 9:13 PM

2:01 is totally bolly

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2011 9:21 PM

While farting around in Wikipedia tonight, I stumbled upon the entry for 1996 MTV Video Music Awards (which was the last time that both Tupak Shakur and the original Van Halen lineup ever appeared, but I digress). Anywho, here's a little objective frame of reference:
"Smashing Pumpkins led the pack that night with nine nominations and seven wins. Of these, their video for "Tonight, Tonight" earned seven wins out of its eight nominations, including Video of the Year, thus making it the night's most nominated and biggest winning video. Furthermore, their video for "1979" earned the one Moonman it was nominated for: Best Alternative Video."

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2011 12:59 AM

12:59, Thanks for the nostalgia. My hummus farts are unbearable. Each time I left a butt-cheek I can smell roasted red pepper.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2011 1:52 AM

You're right, I'm completely wrong. I think everyone here can unanimously agree that Billy Corgan's output is exponetianlly better now than it was fifteen years ago, that the smashing pumpkins have the best line up ever and that dating Jessica Simpson was clearly the greatest thing he's ever done. You got me! Very convincing argument!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2011 11:20 AM

2:01 = Billy Corgan

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2011 11:22 AM

this band and very good

Posted by Redes de proteção | August 14, 2011 12:13 PM

I liked the early albums

Posted by Telas de proteção | August 14, 2011 12:14 PM

you are a total asswipe 9:21 / 11:20. go suck a dick nigga.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2011 2:01 PM

2:01 = Tyler

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2011 3:35 PM

For a long time not heard. Billy's voice is different.

Posted by André Lelis | August 16, 2011 8:45 AM

Mr. Corgan,

I love The Smashing Pumpkins, always have, always will, even if all albums from now till the end are total crap. You've done so much life-changing amazing material in your career that I can forgive transgressions like "Zeitgeist" or "Songs For A Sailor" (the only 2 Pumpkins releases that I have been disappointed in in their entire careers, all the way up to and including "Oceania", a fantastic return to form). "Tearganden... Vol. 2: The Solstice Bare" was a marked improvement and step in the right direction, but the Pumpkins magic was missing. I do NOT like the one-song-at-a-time-release method. Not at all. Albums ARE relevant. It's what we (the fans) love to own to support the artistry, but not at the cost of 40-60 bucks for a 4-song box-set of non-cohesive sub-par material.

The cohesiveness and concepts on Corgan's albums is one of the many things that make a Pumpkins recrd so epic. Having said that, I've enjoyed some of the "Teargarden..." tracks, but I felt that Vol. 1 - "Songs For a Sailor" had 1 great song ("Song For a Son") and 3 cuts that in my opinion are certainly nowhere near the quality of "Mellon Collie" B-sides contained on "Aeroplane Flies High". Now, that doesn't mean that the songs are bad songs... just bad for the Pumpkins' namesake. Not nearly what they are capable of. I think the reason is because they followed this one-song-at-a-time crummy release plan. It seems like a way to milk people like me (dedicated fans) of as much money possible for what will end up to be a 3-CD set (when finished, compiled, and then released in a cohesive form).

These strategies for selling "Zeitgest" were pretty greedy too if you ask me. There were what, 3 or 4 versions of the same album that you had to buy if you wanted the "complete" album, b/c each version contained at least 1 song of material not included on the other versions. A marketing plan that I find disrespectful to me, a lifelong fan.

Having said that, and having said as well that nothing this band could ever release would tarnish my reputation of them, I have to say that I am thoroughly pleased with "Oceania" b/c of the cohesiveness, not the lack thereof.

Mr. Corgan, you know what I'm doing with the "Teargarden.../"Oceania" material? I'm making a cohesive "best of Teargarden ((so far) mix". And it makes the earlier songs which weren't up to par much more valuable as a piece of a puzzle. Records/CDs are not going anywhere. People who only buy mp3s do not appreciate music with the same ears that we CD purchasers who want the non-degradable, tangible and fully uncompressed versions of these recordings will always exist because a CD comes with artwork, and a CD is tangible to be practical about it. Corgan (one of my great musical heroes), is wrong about this, in my opinion, and I'm glad he's come to his senses and decided to release the rest of the mega-album in 2 or 3 albums-within-albums. All that said, I'm sure the end product will be worth the wait. Pisces Iscariot ReIssue coming out on July 17th with a BOATLOAD of bonus material. Can't wait to hear that album remastered. If any one of their albums ever needed to be remastered, it's "Pisces Iscariot".

Mr. Corgan your fans want albums, not a $50 collection of four tracks that, yes, you have made available for free on the internet, but in poor quality mp3s. If you want the real thing, you must shell out the big bucks for 4 tracks. I'm glad that idea is over now. "Oceania" rules.

Posted by Brian H. | July 5, 2012 1:54 AM

Mr. Corgan,

Posted by Brian H. | July 5, 2012 1:56 AM

I really liked your post, really interesting this article.

Posted by Redes de Proteção | December 19, 2012 8:36 AM

Very nice post

Posted by Clinica de estetica | January 14, 2013 1:46 PM

I've been two times in their show, very good.
valeu