Posted in music on August 22, 2011

Pukkelpop

Walter writes:

I was at Pukkelpop festival with Rival Schools earlier this week, still trying to make sense of it. The storm hit about twenty minutes before we were supposed to play.

Strange to say, knowing what we know now but I was having fun watching the storm, by the time it really started coming down I was safe in the backstage area. As violent as the storm was it only slightly crossed my mind that someone would get hurt.

I guess having seen that stage collapse in Indiana the week before it just seemed to weird to have another tragedy like that happen in the same week.

I was listening to Skunk Anansie's set as the hail arrived. As they were leading up a huge creshendo/finale to their set the motherload of lightning came down on the festival in perfect time. I wanted to be in the audience at that moment and not backstage, it was an awesome sound.

The storm raged on for about a half hour after that at full intensity, hale and everything. When it finally slowed down people started to show up backstage with news, at first it was cool stories of how crazy it was and how there were trees down and that it didn't look like we'd get to play.

After that we heard that a couple of people had died and then it wasn't so fun, started to feel a little guilty that it had been fun actually. The death number went up to 6 and then back to two and when I heard the next day I think it was seven.

It was a very strange beginning to the tour for us, I was happy to be safe and with my friends but I felt bad knowing how some people's lives would never be the same. Helped me to understand why insurance companies use the expression "An act of God". My heart goes out to the families of the victims.

Walter tours the US in September with the Walter Schreifels Band and then in October with Rival Schools.

His heart doesn't go out to the Smith Western's equipment? WTF?

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2011 7:33 PM

They use the term " act of god" to distinguished it from something that was man made, something unforeseen and unpredictable. also, and not so extreme these days, the contract might incl an act of war provision as well.

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2011 7:55 PM

And this one is for the Belgian person who posted last week and insinuated that Americans were more interested in lawsuits (regarding those injured and killed) than Euros.

Whiny asshole sues whiny asshole:

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2011 8:38 PM

Wow, this guy must be a real fucking dick! He was having fun while innocent people were being killed! This guy is worse than the Smith Westerns, they just managed to fire off a tweet, this guy sounds like he was having a blast! Right?

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2011 9:39 PM

no he's not being a dick he's being honest about being engrossed in the show unaware that at the same time people were injured.

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2011 10:10 PM

how much would he have enjoyed the storm if he in the audience without the privilege of backstage shelter?

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2011 10:50 PM

probably until he got cracked in the head w a tree limb.

Posted by Anonymous | August 22, 2011 11:13 PM

Again. He was unaware of the severity of the situation at the time. Please read this 5 times.

The same thing happened to me on 9/11 when tower one was struck. We thought it was a small plane and everyone was ok... you better believe there were jokes on the ground about how some cropduster got drunk and went for a joyride.

That said SMITH WESTERNS ARE STILL BITCHING ABOUT THEIR EQUIPTMENT (pitchfork/yesterday) un-fucking-believable.

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2011 10:16 AM