Posted in music | pictures on August 1, 2011

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

Flaming Lips + Weezer

The Flaming Lips and Weezer played their second of two co-headlining shows at a wet Jones Beach on Friday (7/29). As we learned from the first show in NJ the night before, Wayne and Rivers opened the show by riding in their own space bubbles as the remaining members of both bands played "Sweet Leaf" (Black Sabbath) on stage. That was followed by alternating sets by the two bands every few songs, starting with The Flaming Lips.

According to Rolling Stone, "The Flaming Lips had a tougher job because they were playing to what was clearly a majority Weezer fan audience. They even had to endure some obnoxious "Weezer! Weezer!" chants between songs." Those in attendance who do appreciate the Flaming Lips's great work were treated to their recent Neon Indian collaboration "Is David Bowie Dying?," in addition to popular standouts like "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song," "What Is the Light?" "The Observer," and "Do You Realize??"

Weezer, whose new material is slightly lacking (to say the least), focused a little more on their earlier stuff like they did on their Blue Album/Pinkerton tour. They played old favorites like "El Scorcho," "My Name is Jonas," "Surf Wax America," and "Buddy Holly," though they didn't touch on early b-sides like they did the previous night when New Jerseyans were rewarded with "You Gave Your Love to Me Softly" and "Susanne," in addition to two more Pinkerton tracks. They also covered Radiohead's "Paranoid Android" like they did in May when they posted a live-in-studio video of them recording the track to their YouTube account.

The encore saw both bands rejoin on stage for one of each band's quirkier tracks. Wayne and Rivers traded verses on the Lips' "She Don't Use Jelly" and Rivers sang lead on "Undone - The Sweater Song" as Wayne ran into the audience shooting confetti.

Yeasayer opened the show in the rain with a short set made up of their singles and fan favorites.

More pictures, videos, and setlists from the show below...

The Flaming Lips & Weezer

The Flaming Lips

The Flaming Lips & Weezer

The Flaming Lips and Weezer Show Intro

The Flaming Lips and Weezer - "She Don't Use Jelly"

Weezer and The Flaming Lips - "Undone - The Sweater Song"

The Flaming Lips - "Do You Realize??"

Weezer - "El Scorcho"

Yeasayer Setlist:
Tightrope
Madder Red
Wait for the Summer
2080
O.N.E.
Ambling Alp

The Flaming Lips and Weezer Selist:

The Flaming Lips and Weezer
Sweet Leaf (Black Sabbath cover)

The Flaming Lips

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1
The Ego's Last Stand
Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung

Island in the Sun
Surf Wax America
Beverly Hills
Paranoid Android (Radiohead cover)

The Flaming Lips
What Is the Light?
The Observer

Pork and Beans
Say It Ain't So
(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To

The Flaming Lips
Do You Realize??

Weezer
The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations on a Shaker Hymn)
Buddy Holly

The Flaming Lips and Weezer
She Don't Use Jelly
Undone - The Sweater Song

I shot this show too, props to the photographer, these are great pics! Jealous you got to stay in the photopit for all those moments, I got kicked out before Weezer even though I had the photopass through Weezer. Either way, fantastic job.

-Mikey

Posted by Mikey | August 1, 2011 5:25 PM

How do you barely touch on the fact that when the show started it was a monsoon and the place was half full?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:25 PM

you paid a lot of money, went to this show, and your ears endured "beverly hills." you lose.

do you think flaming lips discuss on their (probably separate) tour buses, how shitty the last few weezer albums are? you can't ignore that. well, wayne & co have just been suckin on that $$$ teat for quite some time now anyway, whatever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:29 PM

lulz for the L.I. bros

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:30 PM

Whoa Weezer's setlist from PNC was like 10X > than this one

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:33 PM

blue & pinkerton are good, yada yada yada, you don't need to hear that spiel again...

so why is it okay for these shitheads to support this disgusting band for CONTINUING to undermine their "legacy" with bad album after embarrassing move after bad album ? is it really worth hearing "buddy holly" ? stop going to see them, they can't even play very well anymore! that's the only way they'll go away. c'mon, we have to band together for this one guys.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:33 PM

whoa. who is the photog? these pictures are fucking amazing!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:34 PM

@5:33 agreed

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:34 PM

Nice shots of Wayne with all the empty seats behind him!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 5:58 PM

I left after Yeasayer.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 6:04 PM

$6.50 for a pretzel?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 6:39 PM

oh great, more weezer and gay lips coverage.

let's see ...
Old? not really
Fat? nah, wouldn;t say that
Austin? no, not Austin based
Ted Leo? not really

Yup, looks like we have a new LCD for the seasonal "floating" slot in the BV rotation.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 6:40 PM

How stupid. If these shows were in NYC and reasonably priced they surely would've sold out. Somebody got greedy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 6:46 PM

I would have went to see Weezer if they weren't coupled with the flaming lips.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 6:48 PM

Blatant rip off of the Clash t shirt. Fail.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 8:56 PM

I was at this concert- it was amazing- I am so glad you got so many great shots- I was right behind you when you were shooting these- I did get some shots- but yours are sooooo much better- WEEZER 4EVA!!!!! thanks for the memories!!!

Posted by yankeeisland13 | August 1, 2011 9:25 PM

Frohawk combing his "frohawk" and eating hummus > Weezer
Waaves >Weezer
Being stoned to death (By Iraqis) > Weezer

Retire Weezer, you fucking suck.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2011 9:35 PM

terrível 1

Posted by katia | August 1, 2011 9:44 PM

Show needed less Weezer and a lot less Weezer fans. My buddy was took 3 hits of acid on the way to the show, really started tripping during the monsoon, but Weezer kept killing his buzz. Hope the rumors that the Lips are playing LI again in September are true.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 12:00 AM

I LAUGHED SO HARD at some of these pictures! :P

Posted by Bobby Joe | August 2, 2011 12:52 AM

What kind of idiot does this? Honestly, this is Frohawk worthy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 12:55 AM

Rivers Cuomo aggravates me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 12:56 AM

I was getting seizures from the annoying blinking Weezer background. So embarrassing subpar to Flaming Lips visual show!

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 9:33 AM

I went with the Mrs... her first Lips show.

I honestly don't know if it's Weezer fans or Long Island in general, but fuck you both respectively. Bunch of fuckin perpetual high schoolers.

Bands are NOT sports teams. It was embarrassing to be there while people were "routing" for Weezer while I was just trying to enjoy the group I came to see.

Wayne: if you or anyone associated with your camp reads this.

THAT WAS A FAILED EXPERIEMENT. And your an asshole for forcing me to deal with those fuckin' jocktards like that. If they played separate sets it would have been much easier to simply enjoy your show. I still can't believe how violent my thoughts/urges were ... a true test of patience. I'm not even anti-weezer really. Some cute songs/schtick, but really simply 3 chord "hey I'm a nerd and proud" stuff .. still I kept an open mind and had some moments of fun during some of their tunes.

Yes, I knew there was a potential for this kind of experience..just wasn't prepared for the concert format change.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 9:50 AM

empty seatsville

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 10:20 AM

to 9:50 and all the other disrespectful people out there,

Newsflash, the world doesn’t revolve around you. If you didn't wanna see Weezer you didn't have to buy tickets to see this show.
Flaming Lips are playing enough shows by themselves you could of just waited for that. That night was unique and wonderful. All you had to do was to drive down to a show. I can't even start thinking of how much time, money and planing the two bands worked to put this shows together. They even came out and talked to the fans when the Monsoon started saying they will do anything in their power to play this show. You didn't like the show? that's ok but why do you have to be so angry and harsh about it?
When you play for half the people they do maybe your opinion will matter. Till then, maybe try and open you eyes and give some respect for people who tries to do something new and different instead of siting on their asses complaining all day long.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 11:02 AM

FUCK YOU 11:02. YOUR MOM IS A WHORE.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 11:07 AM

11:02

I am 9:50

"The two bands said specifically they're gonna play side by side so who are you blaming here really?"

That was actually decided well after the concert was announced. it was an experiemnt as mentioned during the show.

I was extremely angry for the amount of disrespect all of the Weezer fans in my entire section exhibited. It was truly immature behaviour ... I don't understand why Weezer fans that hated the Lips music would even stay and listen.. why not just leave until "your" band was back on? But instead it was just a bunch of completely inconsderate jerks basically yelling and yapping during every lips tune...most noticable during the dynamically quieter sections. So yeah .. I was plenty pissed ... I respect ALL music and don't whine like a little jock/bitch when there's something that i don't like or understand.

REPEAT: THE FORMAT CHANGE WAS NOT LISTED UNTIL A WEEK BEFORE THE SHOW.

I never said that I hated the show ... it was a true test for me personally to not get caught up in the nonsense around me and try to focus on the things which I enjoyed...which I did.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 11:38 AM

I have liked all these article which are related to this blog i also like it thanks for sharing such a great info with us.

Posted by carport | August 2, 2011 11:59 AM

Would it kill the Flaming Lips to play Raining Babies or at least Turn it On. Throw the old fans a bone every once in a while.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 12:47 PM

I thought the show was amazing and historical. Not sure why haters (especially those who weren't there) would even comment.

The special thing was many who were fans of one or the other seemed to "crossover" by the end.

Kudos to the stage crew as no way this could have been pulled off without them.

Yeasayer was a good band but, one of the singers tried to break my camera.He also made foolish remarks about the audience(or lack thereof) when they performed.

Posted by Marc | August 2, 2011 1:30 PM

9:50,
I apologize then. I misread what you wrote.
11:02
and 11:07 grow up!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 1:30 PM

Weezer is "Fratboy" bordering on "Guido" rock! Flaming lips is too psychedelic and trippy to hold that crowds attention for too long. But to compare the 2 bands is like comparing Meister Brow and PBR... to each his own!

To me Weezer & Cake are a better pairing.

Maybe Flaming Lips with Ween.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 3:17 PM

"Maybe Flaming Lips with Ween."

THAT would be a fucking good show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 3:37 PM

@ 3:37 - ween & the lips (and sonic youth) played together at the NY state fair in 2006. it was cheap & it was awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2011 5:36 PM

Weezer a great band. Just so talented.

Posted by Gordon | September 19, 2011 10:47 AM