Posted in metal | music on August 3, 2011

by BBG

DOWNLOAD: Whirr - "Junebouvier" (MP3)

Whirr 7" art
Whirr

Some of Deafheaven's quieter and more introspective moments are probably partially indebted to guitarist Nick Bassett, who toured with the band and assisted in the construction of their recent breakout LP Roads To Judah. Similar beauty marks Bassett's shoegaze-y project Whirr (formerly Whirl), whose Distressor LP is currently streaming on Bandcamp (and below). We recently discussed the fact that Whirr has signed a deal with Tee Pee Records and while we await a new long-player, Whirr have (temporarily) sated our hunger with the June EP. Slated for release on 9/27 as a limited 7" on Tee Pee, check out the first track to surface "Junebouvier" which makes its debut in this post.

Whirr currently have only one tour date in their near future, August 17 at Kuumbwa Jazz Center in Santa Cruz, CA, but we'll let you know if that changes. Until then, download "Junebouvier" above/stream it and the Distressor below.

Whirr - "Junebouvier"

Tags: Whirr

Pass

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2011 5:31 PM

Can we celebrate the cancellation of Rock Beach yet?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2011 5:35 PM

Looks pretty gay. Hence why Deafheaven's gay.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2011 6:05 PM

totally gay.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2011 6:30 PM

Boo

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2011 6:32 PM

DAMN! super boring track! how disappointing, Distressor was great.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2011 3:14 AM

I've loved Distressor since it came out. This new track sounds okay, but the artwork is absolutely terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2011 4:32 AM

This rules.

Posted by Brandon | August 4, 2011 4:37 PM

get over not liking the artwork, and get over bunching the band in with deafheaven

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 1:30 PM

the song is fine. the artwork is fine. whrr is good. everything is ok.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2011 8:14 PM

artwork doesn't bother me, deafheaven is terrible but that doesn't bother me, what does bother me is how much hype this band has for no reason. music is boring and unoriginal, its a hipsters stab at recreating another loveless record which will never happen. maybe they'll get better one day.

Posted by Anonymous | August 11, 2011 9:31 PM

Hype doesn't happen without reason. Kids doing what they love are getting recognition and you shouldn't let it bother you. You don't have to enjoy everyone's music or understand why other people do, but this massive trend of throwing groups of people who are creating into these ridiculous stereotypes is getting a little tiresome to see. I don't doubt others have the same opinion you hold for this music about bands you enjoy. It's all subjective and the negativity is unnecessary.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2011 4:55 PM

this shit sucks

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2011 8:24 PM

i can't help but to hate the kerning on typography, and also isn't this a dave matthews cover already?- stoned graphic designer

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2011 4:16 AM

someone knows the lyrics ?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2011 10:17 PM

taken from the bandcamp page

Summer needs shade.
Death awaits outside.
The weather reminds me solace can't be found.
I don't like this feeling.
I talk to myself cause no ones listening and i don't care.
My youth stays inside.
Fun is blinding, calms the nervous sight.
But i don't like the sun in my eyes waiting.
The more i stare i feel cheated when aging.
Hey June.
I want to feel safe.
Please stay for a while.
Fear induced my mind into exile.
I know;
I just want to be in the shade with everyone i need.

Posted by Anonymous | August 21, 2011 3:36 PM

this song is awesome

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2011 9:54 PM

uhh to the guy that said this is a "hipsters stab at loveless" you should probably know what you are talking about before making assumptions. This sounds nothing like loveless. Whirr is good.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2011 10:21 AM

The sound coming from this album is unique. If you feel there is no soul or passion to it then you simply don't understand the material and that's fine. Keep to the pages of the music you are comfortable with and I am sure everyone there will like to hear why that music is the greatest.
Here we are trying to hear releases of music WE like from a band WE enjoy. And I personally don't listen to music hoping its going to sound like OTHER music I like. This album is original and Whirr is taking their music in a different direction. Something the Shoegazing community will appreciate I think. I enjoy this album greatly and think the song writing is more advanced than on Distressor. To put my point short I love Whirr & I loved them when they were Whirl. This is THEIR music and they reserve the right to alter their sound however they want.

Cheers Whirr I cant wait for the new Album in March!!

Posted by REvizzo | February 7, 2012 5:18 AM

A new song reflect a current view of the outside world, and for an artist, his work is always a way to convey the inner turmoil.

Posted by Samantha | November 19, 2014 9:50 AM

Why Alexandra Morte now is not any longer a member from this band?

Posted by Timmy | November 21, 2014 5:39 AM