Posted in books | music | pictures | tour dates on September 9, 2011

by Tim Griffin

Bob Mould @ Book People in Austin
Bob Mould

This past weekend marked the 19th anniversary of the Sugar classic Copper Blue (check out The Decemberists covering "If I Can't Change Your Mind"). Those curious about the life & times of Sugar's mastermind Bob Mould can head to one of Bob's upcoming shows where he'll be reading from his bio See a Little Light: The Trail of Rage and Melody in addition to playing live music. Bob does this in NYC at The Bell House on November 3rd Tickets are on sale. All dates are listed below.

Bob did somethng similar at Book People in Austin, Texas on July 24th (pictures in this post). The singer/songriter opened by speaking on his family and turbulent childhood, his upbringing in upstate New York (Malone), and also talked about his realization at a young age that he was homosexual. It was apparent early on that he needed to get out of his small town in order to "...have a life". A scholarship to Macalaster College in St. Paul, Minnesota gave him that escape in 1978, where he met Grant Hart and Greg Norton. They formed Hüsker Dü in March of 1979.

Mr. Mould warmly read several excerpts from See a Little Light: The Trail of Rage and Melody that included insights into his solo career, as well as his time spent with Hüsker Dü and Sugar. He also shared the significant impact Kurt Cobain's death had on his view of the music industry, which would come up again in the Q&A sessions with the audience. Mr. Mould acknowledged how difficult it is to identify who can own and share responsibility in these situations (when a question was raised on his thoughts about Amy Winehouse's recent passing).

He covered a lot of ground and many excerpts throughout the hour-and-a-half reading, including his music and influences, an uncomfortable 1994 SPIN article about his sexuality, and current happiness and comfort as a 'Bear' and exploring and developing his identity as a homosexual man (an opportunity he hadn't been able to pursue during his younger years). He shared two pieces of advice about being gay: "You can't come out soon enough." and "It's never too late to come out." He went on to encourage those in similar situations to find someone safe to talk to help sort things out.

The session ended with a second Q&A that focused to a great degree on his current musical tastes. He shared some of his current favorites - pulling out his iPhone to make sure he didn't miss any.

"I am now a victim of iTunes... If I don't have iTunes in front of me it just becomes 700 bands that... especially when somebody asks me I sort of freak out..."

In no particular order - Tame Impala, Warpaint, Best Coast, No Age, Dum Dum Girls, Elite Gymnastics, Unknown Mortal Orchestra (which he played on his phone), Yuck, Fucked Up, Groove Armada, The Weakened, Bass Drum of Death, The Raveonettes, Foo Fighters (he appears on their new album), Michael Cassette, Holy Ghost, Crystal Castles...

A book signing followed. More pictures from that event with all upcoming dates (not counting Bob's DJ gig at Highline Ballroom tonight), below...

BOB MOULD - 2011 TOUR DATES
SEP 20 SAN FRANCISCO, CA - HERBST THEATRE CITY ARTS & LECTURES (W/ SHEPARD FAIREY)
SEP 30 CHICAGO, IL - THE MONTROSE ROOM 'SEE A LITTLE LIGHT' PERFORMANCE

Legend

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 11:15 AM

Naptime.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 11:17 AM

hairy bear

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 11:20 AM

Bob Mould opening up for Larry Flynt. Classic.

The nearest dispensary is one block south? great.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 11:26 AM

wait, what? Bob Mould is Gay???

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 12:19 PM

is this AUSTIN VEGAN? how much shit did he talk about Grant Hart?

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 12:39 PM

How anyone thought they were better than the replacements baffles me.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 12:48 PM

wait, what, Bob Mould was in Husker Du?

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 12:56 PM

Not enough pictures of him sitting and holding a book.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 12:59 PM

When Bob Mould talks, people listen. That's a lot more than I could say for BVers.

11:26: Two different dates, so the joke didn't really work, but I commend your attempt :)

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 1:12 PM

I know I shouldn't care, but I really want to know if him and Grant Hart hooked up. They had do, right?

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 1:13 PM

Bob Mould does a book reading in Austin and gets a post with a hundred photos on Brooklyn Vegan?

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 1:13 PM

They were lovers, weren't they? That sounds like a joke but I'm being serious - I think after they split they started hardcore hating each other.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 1:21 PM

treason is the reason for my poison years

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 1:23 PM

I think the book should have been titled
Bob Mould: From Power Pop to Power Top

Posted by build a bear | September 9, 2011 1:38 PM

"How anyone thought they were better than the replacements baffles me."

Really? I liked The Replacements better when I was in high school, but I think they captured a moment and then didn't wear well at all. I still like Husker Du though.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 1:43 PM

Yeah, I've always preferred Husker Du. Don't know why but I just did.

Also, unlike Paul Westerberg, Bob Mould never came off as a pompous, affected douche either.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 2:17 PM

Were you able to get any pictures of Bob reading the book?

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 2:25 PM

total babefest.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 2:26 PM

Um, 2:17 - have you READ this post?

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 2:46 PM

ah ya I think one photo not 20 would have been suffice.

Nice job Tim, awesome pics by the way.

Love the reflection shot. No wait the book closeup with shallow depth of field blew my mind. No wait the marquee shot is the best. You rock!

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 2:57 PM

Trent: You know what you are? You're like a big bear with claws and with fangs...
Sue: ...big fucking teeth, man.
Trent: Yeah... big fuckin' teeth on ya'. And she's just like this little bunny, who's just kinda cowering in the corner.
Sue: Shivering.
Trent: Yeah, man just kinda... you know, you got these claws and you're staring at these claws and your thinking to yourself, and with these claws you're thinking, "How am I supposed to kill this bunny, how am I supposed to kill this bunny?"
Sue: And you're poking at it, you're poking at it...
Trent: Yeah, you're not hurting it. You're just kinda gently batting the bunny around, you know what I mean? And the bunny's scared Mike, the bunny's scared of you, shivering.
Sue: And you got these fucking claws and these fangs...
Trent: And you got these fucking claws and these fangs, man! And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs. And you're thinking to yourself, you don't know what to do, man. "I don't know how to kill the bunny." With *this* you don't know how to kill the bunny, do you know what I mean?
Sue: You're like a big bear, man

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 3:08 PM

2:46: Yes.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 3:28 PM

Bob looks good.
Sad looking crowd, though.
I talked to Bob after his Rock Shop show last year, and he's neither affected, pompous or a douche. In fact, he was a really nice guy and down to earth. He spent a lot of time talking to folks and seemed to geniunely be having a good time.

Considering the current state of Paul Westerberg, not to mention Grant Hart, I'd say Bob has clearly aged the best of all of them.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 3:30 PM

^ Totally agree. That's pretty much what I was trying to say, but you nailed it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 3:57 PM

I must admit I no longer find anything he does compelling anymore. I was such a loyalist during the HD, Sugar and Workbook years ('84-'97 or so) but after reading some of this shite, I would have to say he is a big effing douche. DJing, wrestling, bear fucking, what an ass. Worst was when he said he broke up Sugar because he could get the same pay from venues and no longer have to split it three ways.
@3:30 Grant Hart still lets it all pour out at his shows and on his records. I'd say that where Grant is now in life, that he is the one doing the more interesting work now.

Replacements fell apart after Bob Stinson left the band/died.

Posted by Smack | September 9, 2011 4:05 PM

"Also, love the picture of the bearded bear in the front row with aquamarine tee holding himself."

You know I had to scroll back up to check that out ... OMG! "If Gabriel wants to rollerblade, dammit Gabriel is gonna rollerblade"

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 4:34 PM

wow that really is a hell of a lot of photos. if you scroll down fast it's like a flip book.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 5:04 PM

4:05--Grant Hart's albums are mediocre at best.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 7:50 PM

I think Paul would rather fade away forever then actually charge people to come and listen to him pimp his memoirs and discuss his sexuality, poor childhood and favorite itunes playlists. good lord, man.

ps: Hootenany through Pleased to Meet Me were gold, the other 3 1/2 hit or miss.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2011 9:52 PM

Just give me a Husker Du show, I can't read anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2011 2:52 AM

Yes! Another point for team Austin Vegan! Take that, you nationalist Brooklyn bastards!

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2011 3:30 AM

I'm just glad that in the back and forth between Husker Du and Replacements fanboys, nobody even bothers mentioning the shiteous Soul Asylum anymore.

A drunk and obviously retarded Dave Pirner once randomly tried to pick a fight with me (in the bathroom at Corner Bistro of all places) and I just laughed and laughed and laughed in the pussy's face, because you don't beat on Winona Ryder's boyfriend without bringing unwanted media attention on yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2011 7:12 AM

>> retarded Dave Pirner once randomly tried to pick a fight with me

Yeah this sounds likely. Even if it's true, I'm sure you cowered like a little girl.

Posted by Eileen Eulich | December 26, 2011 3:06 AM