Posted in dance | music | tour dates on September 2, 2011

Plastikman

The annual electro fest on Randall's Island, Electric Zoo, begins today, Friday, 9/2, and lasts through Sunday. And though much of the lineup and crowd may scare you (Tiesto is the big headliner tonight), there is also something for everyone. Today's lineup also includes a DJ set by Moby, Rusko, a bunch of Ed Bangers, MSTRKRFT, and what is sure to be a very special set by Richie Hawtin in the form of Plastikman.

Press release describes it like this:

Electronic music producer and performer Richie Hawtin returns to U.S. soil with his darker alter-ego PLASTIKMAN. The Berlin-based artist will bring his one-hour live experience that explores the connection between audio, visual and interactivity to Electric Zoo on Governor's Island Friday, September 2. This will mark the debut of PLASTIKMAN LIVE in New York City. Richie Hawtin will also DJ a separate set at Electric Zoo in addition to presenting PLASTIKMAN LIVE on Sunday, September 4.

PLASTIKMAN LIVE was voted the best live act of 2010 by Resident Advisor readers and also was included in U.K. tastemaker magazine MixMag's best live dance act shortlist. Since launching March 2010 at Timewarp in Mannheim, Germany, the PLASTIKMAN show has been under a constant state of evolution helmed by Hawtin and his partners visual architects Derivative and visual designer Ali Demirel.

There is also a customized iPhone/iPod Touch application called Plastikman SYNK. Conceptualized by Hawtin and developed with RJ Fischer (http://hexler.net) and Bryan McDade (Minus), SYNK is available for free and is the official companion iPhone/iPod Touch application of the current PLASTIKMAN LIVE worldwide tour. SYNK users will participate in an experiment in audience-performer interaction aiming to blur the lines of perception and participation.

PLASTIKMAN LIVE is a fully immerse real-time interactive concept experience. It is the only show where the entire event has been created from the ground up with the artist (Richie Hawtin/PLASTIKMAN) spearheading each part of the development and vision. There is one performer--Richie Hawtin aka PLASTIKMAN--on stage employing the cutting edge and custom technology to control the entire audio/visual and lighting experience, with live real-time generative visuals (no timed coded pre-rendered video or movies) in connection with cutting edge Derivative TouchDesigner software, live control over DMX-controlled lighting (custom Ableton Live Midi>DMX solution), and real-time audience/performer interaction and communication with the custom iPhone SYNK App (The only live concert that allows the audience to control part of the show, HUD readouts, audience/performer chat client, live on stage camera feed, etc.).

"I'm very excited to bring my PLASTIKMAN show to Electric Zoo," states Hawtin. "I am very energized by the incredible developments in the electronic scene in North America, and finally we're seeing the underground movement that I represent with my label, artists, DJing and live shows being acknowledged by the big events and festivals. This is a great moment in American music history, and I am delighted to have a platform to present my take on where electronic music is today and my vision for its future."
Tickets are still on sale. Set times are all HERE.

SBTRKT, who DJs twice tonight at the similar North Coast Music Festival in Chicago, DJs Electric Zoo on Saturday (despite what his posted tour dates say)

A Plastikman video below...

getting them rolls

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 12:50 PM

Clown fest

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 1:02 PM

just an hour? this is me passing...

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 1:05 PM

djs more boastful, less artful, than rappers

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 1:34 PM

yea I'll be waiting for headlining Plastikman show in NY soon....

p.s. anyone have that box set he released this year?

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 1:40 PM

^I do. Got a free "thanks for the support" copy from Minus. It is SICK! The book alone is priceless. The guy has truly "arkived" his entire legacy of work in a way that most artists, electronic or not, never will. The packaging is a piece of art and there's more music included than you probably have time to listen to.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 2:20 PM

won't have time to listen until i finish all this CAT fund stuff

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 3:35 PM

rest of the lineup is full of cheese. waste of time and big waste of $. Made events is making bank off of an uneducated public.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 3:42 PM

unfortunate that this exists

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 4:32 PM

ummm I think you mean Randall's Island

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 4:39 PM

@3:42 Uneducated public? What the hell does that even mean? Are the public uneducated about the lineup? Or just unenlightened but the finer points of hipsterdom? If your into the DJ\techno scene, than yea it's a totally stacked lineup, a little pricey, but it's not like there's any real alternatives. You are a fool.

Posted by Stephen Whitfield | September 2, 2011 5:57 PM

And while I'm sure the Plastikman live is pretty rad, the trailer made it look underwhelming.

Amon Tobin's ISAM > Plastikman

[Or at least looks cooler]

Posted by Stephen Whitfield | September 2, 2011 5:59 PM

I'd love to see Plastikman as I've been a fan for many years. However, there's no way I'm sitting through this crap line up. Let's hope he does a headline date in NYC.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 6:10 PM

@220pm. what was on arkives mix album? any different from the box set? im going to order one from amazon.....looks like its coming out in sep!

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 6:21 PM

Richard Hawtin used to play totally banging techno sets that could even get a non-dance music fan moving. Kind of took a different turn around 2003, 2004 and I never really recaptured the same level of interest.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2011 8:09 PM

@6:21 - I'm 2:20 and the better way to say it is what is NOT on Arkives. And the answer would be nothing. The guy compiled 15 CDs and one DVD (if you get the version I was sent...there are also all vinyl and all download versions) that include remastered versions of all his albums, all his remixes, rarities, outtakes, etc. Seriously...rarely has any artist ever compiled their life's work so completely.

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2011 11:26 AM

Ok Stephen Whitfield, you obviously called me out in order to defend my point and I will. What I mean by an uneducated public is that the lineup is almost completely devoted to those fans of commercial dance music. Meaning that there is little true merit on the lineup. In so many words, it's a sh*t show. It is NOT and will NOT push things forward for credible house/techno in NY. I am absolutly certain of that. The real music will be found in the underground along with a few credible events ie The Bunker and so on. I realize by your post that you are novice when it comes to this music and I shun to think about what you are listen to on your own. Also, a little expensive?? I was on the press list (comp'ed) last year to get in and I thought is incredibly expensive to just get through the all three days last year for food, drinks, etc. For that comment alone you are the biggest fool on the forum. Get a clue and some musical taste idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2011 4:25 PM