Posted in music | tour dates on September 7, 2011

by Bill Pearis

Peter Hook

Despite a general consensus that it's a not the greatest idea or use of his time, Peter Hook and his current band The Light continue to tour the Joy Division catalogue and will be in New York next Tuesday (9/13) for a show at Gramercy Theatre, a show that was originally supposed to be at Irving Plaza. Where last year's tour concentrated on Unknown Pleasures, this time the focus will be on Joy Division's second, final album, Closer. Some dates on this tour will still get Unknown Pleasures, though, and all tour dates are below indicating which album Peter Hook & the Light will be performing.

Back in May, Peter Hook & the Light released an EP of new versions Joy Division songs, including the unrecorded "Pictures in My Mind" plus three other songs with lead vocals by Rowetta who sang with Happy Mondays in the '90s and later placed fourth on the first UK season of Simon Cowell's X Factor. Videos for The Light's versions of "Atmosphere" (with Rowetta) and "Pictures in My Mind" (with Hook taking lead vocals) are at the bottom of this post.

Meanwhile, the rest of New Order are reuniting without Peter Hook, and that includes keyboardist/guitarist Gillian Gilbert who hasn't played with the band since the '90s. Gilbert was a part of the recording of 2001's Get Ready but bowed out of touring to take care of her and husband (and New Order drummer) Stephen Morris' daughter. Replacing Hook will be Tom Chapman, who plays in Bernard Summner's Bad Lieutenant. I wonder how low he slings his bass? This version of New Order play October 17 at Ancienne Belgique in Brussels and October 18 at La Bataclan in Paris and both shows are benefits for ailing friend of the band Michael Shamburg who produced many of the band's '80s videos. Maybe they'll stick to songs from 1992's Republic which doesn't features much of Hook's signature bass style.

Speaking of Gilbert, she and Morris (who made records as The Other Two in the early '90s) have released a new EP, Swing, under the name Gillian and Stephen on their own Hard Cheese label, consisting of house-y instrumentals originally conceived and written as a soundtrack to Anna Blessman & Peter Saville's exhibition between October 2010 and January 2011 at the Gallerie Frac Champagne-Ardenne in France. Saville designed the sleeve.

You can stream a track off the Swing EP at the bottom of this post, which is also where you can find those Peter Hook & the Light videos and tour dates.

Peter Hook & the Light - Pictures in My Mind

Wed 9/28 Tijuana, MEX Black Box UNKNOWN PLEASURES
Thu 9/29 Guadalajara, MEX The Warehouse UNKNOWN PLEASURES
Sat 10/1 Mexico City, MEX El Pasaguero UNKNOWN PLEASURES

Gillian and Stephen - Swing Robot
02. Swing Robot - Stephen & Gillian by Republic of Music

The Other Two - Tasty Fish

give it up already peter hook.....

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 12:24 PM

Glad to hear Gillian is part of the N.O. reunion, I will have to check out that Gillian and Stephen EP.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 12:25 PM

enough with the fucking Joy Division already. they were an OK band at the time, but enough with the movies and the anniversary tours and the tribute tours and all this shit! ENOUGH WITH JOY DIVISION ALREADY!!!! THERE ARE GREATER BANDS, FROM THE SAME ERA, THAT DESERVE FAR GREATER TRIBUTE!

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 12:30 PM

There is no Joy Division without Ian Curtis. Hook might as well get back with the rest of New Order so they can play a proper reunion tour. So many bands right now are borrowing from their sound, what better time to cash in? I'd even go to T5 for that one!

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 12:31 PM

New Order is like getting a blow job from a calf in a barnyard just as the rest of your field trip class come around the barn to see you in the act.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 12:36 PM

No Hooky, no New Order... although it's practically ghoulish for Hooky to play Joy Division songs with fucking Rowetta on vocals.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 12:38 PM

This whole thing just stinks.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 12:45 PM

Back in the summer of '83, after college, I went uninvited to the offices of Factory Records US on Spring Street seeking employment. I was greeted by Michael Shamburg who was warm and receptive. He put me to work right away, packing VHS tapes for mailing. Of course, this was indie music world and I was doing all this for free.

I spent some time with Michael. He introduced me to the joys of saki and turned me on to the film "Sans Soleil" by Chris Marker. My time at Factory US was short-lived (as was the label) but I was happy to see Michael continue to work with NO on their videos. The Jonathan Demme-directed "Perfect Kiss" video is one of the all time great videos.

Posted by drewo | September 7, 2011 12:46 PM

> THERE ARE GREATER BANDS, FROM THE SAME ERA, THAT DESERVE FAR GREATER TRIBUTE!

ok, smartypants. you're up. name three.

i'm waiting, bitch.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 12:48 PM

I'll give you one - The Smiths. No comparison. Bitch!

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 12:59 PM

aren't you cool, putting down joy divison. go listen to you matt and kim cd and learn your history before you make such ignorant comments.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 1:00 PM

Spin Doctors > New Order

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 1:01 PM

1:00 - I was around in the early 80s, asswipe, and something tells me you weren't. So go listen to your New Order CDs and cut your wrists, you little pussy.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 1:02 PM

I'm confused, are New Order overrated, or just so over?

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 1:03 PM

I still think New Order are UNDERRATED, if you can believe it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 1:07 PM

That first video is just hilarious. This dude needs to hang it up pronto.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 1:07 PM

THIS is clown shit

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 1:08 PM

do they really need the money that bad?

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 1:30 PM

@1:30 - Well, the New Order reunion is a benefit, meaning the money is not for them. As for Hook, I don't know what to tell you.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 1:35 PM

Two Door Cinema Club is playing the Studio at Webster Hall on 9/14

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 2:43 PM

I was around then, and I can't think of a better or more important band than Joy Division from that era. And I say that meaning absolutely no disrespect to the Clash, Wire, The Smiths, Talking Heads, Gang of Four, and all the other great bands from the late '70s-early '80s. It also goes without saying that music was better then.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 2:50 PM

it is ignorant to compare Joy Division with The Smiths since Joy Division ended in 1980 and The Smiths began in 1982.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 3:07 PM

Re-recorded Joy Division songs with Rowetta on vocals? I'm sorry, this is just fantastic. I'm glad there's someone who doesn't care about screwing up his legacy, even if it is a mess. It's rock and roll. Kill yr idols.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2011 3:23 PM

Peter Hook's contrariness makes him pretty punk rock.

He still sucks for doing this though.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2011 12:42 AM

Yes 2:50 PM Joy Division for their short time were pretty innovative so its better to let the memories with original members rest. That movie Control was alright, but nonetheless a little silly so enough now.

On the other hand if you see some of those New Order videos with Bernard dancing around in his underwear in the studio you can under stand Peter Hook wanting to do something else.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2011 1:47 AM

The version of Atmosphere in the video above is simple, pure, uncut blasphemy.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2011 8:39 AM

theres a reason people make such a big deal about joy division, because they will never be another...however, these peter hook type things are kinda stupid. mad love for jd and new order, most of the stuff today wouldnt exist without their music

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2011 10:07 PM

there will never be another**

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2011 10:07 PM

Last night I had a great time at the show in NYC, Some guy who use to manage NO in America introduced the band before they came on. The set list was amazing and they sounded great live, my favorites were Isolation, Heart & soul and Decades, during Atmosphere some guy in front of me started a fight because he was messing with his girl so Hooky stopped the show till everything cleared out and then started Atmosphere again. After the show I was Lucky enough to go backstage and meet Peter Hook and took some pictures and got some autographs.

Here is the pic of the Venue

joonbug.com/media/soudKj9gPiF/peter-hook-001.jpg

joonbug.com/media/thLjMpH4M0B/peter-hook-004.jpg

Here is a pic of the setlist.

joonbug.com/media/qll2VzQnwLG/peter-hook-008.jpg

Here is Hook signing some autographs for me.

joonbug.com/media/vZFEhXYLQB8/peter-hook-009.jpg

joonbug.com/media/CAUVo0y6Phm/peter-hook-019.jpg

joonbug.com/media/zmWBpHdnipa/peter-hook-021.jpg

This is a little souvineer that I bought for myself at the show for $20, which is not bad at all, usually they are $30

joonbug.com/media/uAs9fMYpFNL/peter-hook-030_.jpg

Sorry that I could not take any pictures during the show, because my camera sucks in the dark.

Posted by L.SOLANKI | September 14, 2011 12:30 PM

I just saw Peter Hook and the Light play "Closer" at the Music Box in Los Angeles. I can understand those who think that it is a travesty to perform Joy Division songs without all the living members of the band, and particularly without Ian Curtis singing, but in this case I don't agree. Peter Hook & Co. put on an amazing show tonight and it was wonderful to hear the songs live and breathe in performance by a band that not only did service to them, but to also to the legacy of Joy Division. Ian Curtis is dead, but his voice and memory resonate in the great songs he left behind. The show tonight didn't look and sound like someone cashing in, it looked and sounded like a top notch group of musicians celebrating and playing the hell out of some great songs. It was truly a great show. I'm really happy I got the chance to be there.

Posted by Chris Moore | September 15, 2011 4:16 AM