Posted in Contests | TV | music on September 23, 2011

by Klaus Kinski

Pink Floyd

I might be one of the most obsessive Pink Floyd fans who ever lived, and I say that as more of an embarrassing confession than as a statement of pride. I have written about them and their related projects and tours a coupla times now, but every time there is Pink Floyd related news bouncing around the atmosphere I can't help but feel somewhat annoyed at the fact that everything they do is such an obvious and grotesque cash grab. I mean, I still love their records and will be buried with them but, Jesus Christ guys, you use your back catalog like a wet towel, wringing out re-releases and "Best ofs" while expecting us to empty our wallets.

And this pattern started early. I mean, in 1970 EMI released a Best Of record, despite Pink Floyd only having two albums under their belt. Then, BAM, in 1971 another greatest hits record, Relics, hit the shelves and yet the ink on their third album (Atom Heart Mother) had barely dried. 1974 rolled around and saw the re-release of Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets as a double album called A Nice Pair. That same year, ANOTHER greatest hits record hit the shelves, this time entitled Masters of Rock. In 1981, which would have been the perfect year for a retrospective album considering the body of work they had behind them by then, they released A Collection of Great Dance Songs, which is a supremely anemic and vapid attempt at a greatest hits record. Then between 1992 and now, we were given the Shine On 9 CD Boxed Set (1992), The Piper at the Gates of Dawn 30th Anniversary edition (1997), 1967 The First Three Singles (1997), Wish You Were Here 25th Anniversary Edition (2000), Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd (2001), Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary SACD Edition (2003), The Final Cut re-release (2004), The Piper at the Gates of Dawn 40th Anniversary edition (2007), and the 14 disc Oh By The Way (2007). Add to that the massive amount of singles, EPs, 7"s, 45s, and other redundancies and you have a veritable shit load of items culled from very few actual sources. Talk about milking it, am I right?

Now we find ourselves in the final quarter of 2011. 2012 is around the corner and Roger Waters and David Gilmour are buddies again, Rick Wright and Syd Barrett RIP, the world economy is in the shitter... what better time to embark on an exhaustive and multi-tiered Pink Floyd re-issue campaign! Starting on September 26th, 2011, Pink Floyd and EMI are orchestrating a re-issue campaign:

encompassing CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, SACD, an array of digital formats, viral marketing, iPhone Apps and a brand-new single-album 'Best Of' collection.

The legendary band, who are still one of the most successful and iconic artists of all time, recently signed an agreement with EMI which has allowed the development of a multi-format programme of packages, many containing archive material that has been collated during an extensive process between EMI and Pink Floyd for a range of media formats.

The aptly titled WHY? PINK FLOYD re-release project is almost preposterous in scope. And by everything you read up until this point, I bet you think I am poo-pooing this project. In a certain sense, I am. I mean, all of these studio albums have been reissued more than once. How many copies of Dark Side do I really need? Certainly this aspect of the campaign interests me very little (if at all). It's the stuff deeper in the guts of this thing that has me dorking myself to death. Here's a breakdown of how they've got these sets organized.
DISCOVERY EDITIONS and BOX SET (Available 9/27/11)
This release is broken into two tiers. The first tier Discovery Edition is all 14 studio albums remastered from the ground up, all available for purchase individually. The second tier Discovery Edition is a box set that features all 14 records and a 60-page booklet housed as one massive package (hehehe).

EXPERIENCE EDITIONS
The Experience Editions are more modest and seem to be the most appealing to me. Available for individual purchase will be Wish You Were Here (11/8/11), Dark Side of the Moon (9/27/11), and The Wall (2/28/12) ONLY . These sets will include a newly remastered album CD, a CD containing additional material pertaining to the album, and an expanded (and pretty beautiful) CD booklet.

IMMERSION EDITIONS
The Immersion Editions serve to separate the nerds from the super nerds. Available for individual purchase will be Wish You Were Here (11/8/11), Dark Side of the Moon (9/27/11), and The Wall (2/28/12) ONLY. Lavishly packaged in a sturdy 29cm square box, the sets contain remastered, previously unreleased and audio-visual material, plus much additional content - reproduced memorabilia, brand new graphics, art prints, collectors' items, lavish booklets and several more CDs remastered as 5.1, Quadrophinic, Stereo, etc... it's a doozie!

BEST OF
The Best of Pink Floyd: A Foot In The Door (11/8/11). An expanded and remastered greatest hits album. As far as this remaster campaign goes, this CD is the equivalent of Wayne and Garth standing in front of the green screen in Wayne's World I saying "I'm in Delaware."

VINYL EDITIONS
The Vinyl Editions are records dude. Available for individual purchase will be Wish You Were Here (11/8/11), Dark Side of the Moon (9/27/11), and The Wall (2/28/12) ONLY. Features the 2011 remastered version on 180 gram heavyweight Vinyl. Original packaging including stickers and posters plus free 320kbps download and exclusive new poster.

So while some of this stuff is a rehash, I am still very stoked about some of these releases. So stoked in fact that I am going to give two lucky BV readers a shirt, a poster, and a newly remastered 2 CD set of Dark Side of the Moon, just for reading this far! Directions on how to enter the contest are below!

And you know who else is stoked about this new remaster campaign? Funnyman Jimmy Fallon, that's who! Each episode of Late Night With Jimmy Fallon from September 26th through September 30th (a whole week!) will be dedicated to Pink Floyd. From what I've heard the schedule is as follows:

- Monday 9/26 - The Shins perform Breathe from Dark Side of the Moon. Nick Mason will be the interviewed.
- Tuesday 9/27 - Roger Waters will join Foo Fighters will perform In the Flesh from The Wall. Waters will also be interviewed.
- Wednesday 9/28 - MGMT will perform early Floyd classic Lucifer Sam.
- Thursday 9/29 - Dierks Bentley will perform Wish You Were Here.
- Friday 9/30 - Pearl Jam (!) will do Mother from The Wall.
Fallon airs at 12:30am on NBC.

In other old geezers from awesome classic rock bands news... don't forget that tonight at Nassau Coliseum The Who's Roger Daltrey performs the rock opera Tommy in its entirety as well as other Who classic cuts. Tickets are still available and, I swear to Cod, if I had a car, I'd be all over that shit. Fiddle about.

To win the Klaus Kinski Pink Floyd Re-Release Contest: Send an email to BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM with the subect line "Pink Floyd" with your first and last name. We'll pick a winner at random and contact them with more details. Your email will not be shared with anyone else. Good luck.

The Wall is overrated. Animals is underrated.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 4:49 PM

4:47,

That's great news. When do you think we'll get a re-release/deluxe version of Pocket Full of Kryptonite?

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 4:50 PM

You got mail :). Good look for everyone else!

Posted by Marinda | September 23, 2011 4:52 PM

You shouldn't ever be embarrassed about liking a band, dude.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 4:58 PM

what crappy song selection for covers. If your going to have a week of covers on PF cover something interesting
2 songs from the worst PF album(of all members) The Wall.
WYWH (great song but overplayed and covered too many times)
Breathe(most overplayed and bought PF album)
Lucifer Sam (not a bad choice)

How about picking songs from the less popular periods or maybe a shorted verion of one of the animals songs.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 5:06 PM

4:49 you are absolutely right.

The Wall is awesome, but Animals is a fucking MASTERPIECE. If they made a crazy nerd-out edition of that record I'd be all over it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 5:08 PM

no surround/hi-res Wall = fail

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 5:21 PM

There should be a law against MGMT doing Lucifer Sam.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 5:34 PM

This Spin Doctors shit is the worst plague this blog has ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 5:42 PM

Relics wasn't a proper "greatest hits" album. It was a collection that contained 5 British only singles tracks and a sample of tracks to introduce/cathc up the US audience.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 5:43 PM

Piper was the only Floyd album that mattered. Without Syd Barrett they were a group of exceptional musicians with lousy songwriting skills.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 5:52 PM

@ 5:52 agreed

they need to do an REM if that's possible

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 6:07 PM

5:43 .right . yes... also monsters of rock wasn't greatest hits it was the singles that weren't on piper@the gates.. & saucerful.... and their b sides .. Waters said that the reason why they so frequently re-issued material was to keep checks coming to Syd ...and to themselves as well.....

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 6:12 PM

Fantastic news. Is Piper remastered AGAIN? It was just recently remastered in Stereo and Mono or are they releasing that very master?

Either way, fantastic news. Can't wait to update my Pink Floyd collection on my iPod with all these new editions.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 6:38 PM

are they synthy?

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 6:38 PM

wish they'd release more syd-era floyd, like live shows, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 6:43 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 7:01 PM

i don't lke it when this guy writes instead of the eponymous brooklyn vegan. he loves pink floyd and says "in the shitter." why would you write those words in an article. yikes

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 7:16 PM

"One of the most obsessive fans who ever lived and yet you seem to not realize that when that Dutch "Best Of" comp dropped the band had 4 LPs and several singles on the market? Man, I'd hate to see what a casual fan is like."

3 LPs, a soundtrack, and a smattering of singles. That ain't much. I think the point is "How can a band have a 'Best Of' record a mere 3+ years into their career."

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 7:23 PM

Snobbery is dripping from this post like hot green churria.. The man is a fan of their music and MAY HAVE underestimated the amount of records released by then.. That doesn't negate him as a big fan.

Like 7:23pm said, "I think the point is "How can a band have a 'Best Of' record a mere 3+ years into their career."

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 7:39 PM

If being right makes me a snob, so be it. I'm not the one who started the post by saying "I might be one of the most obsessive Pink Floyd fans" and then went on to make factual errors that could have been corrected by looking at the press release for the box set - or even this little site called Wikipedia.

As to the three years comment, the "Best Of" was a release for the Dutch market, not a UK release. I'd wager - not being an obsessive Floyd fan nor pretending that I am - that the band's releases had not been easily available in Benelux prior to the compilation, or that this may have had something to do with contractual/territorial obligations for a 1960s record contract.

Posted by 7:16, back again | September 23, 2011 8:54 PM

you guys, it's the weekend. shut the fuck up and have a beer or something.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 9:35 PM

8:54. Best of is a record featuring absolutely no new pink floyd material. it's not a studio album. it's a collection of song already made. it's a greatest hits.

everybody sees your points, but what your saying in no way contradicts what Klaus is saying. BEst of is a BEST OF. End of story.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 9:48 PM

Also, 9:48. You are failing at not looking like a gaylord super fan.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 9:50 PM

"I'm not the one who started the post by saying "I might be one of the most obsessive Pink Floyd fans" and then went on to make factual errors that could have been corrected by looking at the press release for the box set - or even this little site called Wikipedia."

Again, the man is a big fan of their MUSIC and just made what I'm sure was an honest overlook of a mistake. Being a 'big fan' of the band isn't about knowing minute details of every aspect of their careers and the releases. It COULD be that but it doesn't always have to be. That's the person's prerogative.

But isn't it interesting that you're the only one that took offense to that? It's unnecessary. You could have NOT been a snob and just corrected the guy.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 10:44 PM

5:52 NAILED IT

BTW when does the Pink Floyd meme start? I mean seriously.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2011 11:11 PM

actually, 5:52,is that a bad joke?

Undeniably David Gilmore has some of the greatest songwriting of all time, whether it be an opus from Animals or pop music from Dark Side, there's a reason that when Gilmore was at the reigns they had like 7 consecutive fantastic and accessible and brilliant albums.

While Syd is a legend and icon in his own definitive way, I'd hardly say he's a great songwriter. Interstellar Overdrive, Bike, really?

Clueless.Elitist hipsters just for the sake of being elitist is what I think.

Posted by Stephen Whitfield | September 24, 2011 1:31 AM

^^^^

The arrangements might of been amazing but that doesn't make up for the fact that the lyrics are severely sub par. Not to mention that most of those albums dealt with Syd in one way or another.

"Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can"

Give me a break. Even their best song can't touch anything Syd wrote. I'd take his two solo albums over any of the '70s Floyd albums any day. Few songs are able to evoke childhood whimsy as well as Bike does. It's a very "English" song but I doubt you'd understand that.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2011 2:11 AM

@9:48, I'm not a "gaylord" Pink Floyd fan, I am a "gaylord" fan of simple fact checking. But hey, awesome homophobia. If I ever hear Odd Future is looking for a hypeman, I'll try to hook you up.

@10:44, It was really the "obsessive" fan thing that set me off on the smarminess. If dude had just made the error, no biggie, I might not have evn bothered commenting. Positing himself as an "obsessive" fan and making such a simple mistake that was contradicted by the press release that accompanied the box set though? I don't think it's much to expect simple factual accuracy from music writers, especially ones who are "obsessive" fans.

Posted by 7:01 Again | September 24, 2011 8:31 AM

8:31

I hear ya, man. Good point/fair enough.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2011 8:36 AM

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Piper is the 'only' Floyd record that matters.. that's just absurd, but I agree that Syd Floyd > Post-Syd Floyd.. That's not to say that I don't absolutely love Post-Syd Floyd, but yeah.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2011 8:39 AM

I still don't get how Klaus was factually inaccurate. I mean, he said two instead of three. Big deal.

Instead of getting this fired up about s tupid gaffe on a blog (if it was the NY Times, Guardian, CNN I might SOMEWHAT identify with your crotchety attitude), why don't you direct your energies and zeal to something that matters like education, or poverty, or AIDS.

Not, it's far easier to take umbrage with a blog. Small man, big mouth.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2011 11:44 AM

Thanks for that exhaustive coverage of all things Floyd-reissued.

Trawlers of the bootleg sites know that there is a motherload of live Floyd from all eras, and of all sound qualities, that would make for an interesting series of compilations.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2011 12:24 PM

@11:44 I am glad you interrupted your research on a cure for AIDS and work on solving poverty and fixing the education system today to drop a Minor Threat reference on me and give the backhanded insult that factual accuracy doesn't matter on BV because it's just "a blog." I suggest for your next round, you make a Nazi joke and a racial slur*, then you'll have hit the internet insult trifecta.

*I'd say call me gay, but somebody already beat you to that one. Better luck next time.

Posted by 7:01 Again | September 24, 2011 12:51 PM

what time does daft punk go on?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2011 1:03 PM

@2:11

So you run and you run
to catch up with the sun
but it's sinking

Racing around to come up behind you again

The sun is the same in a relative way
but you're older
Shorter of breath
and one day closer to death.

__________________________

I want to tell you a story
about a little man, if I can
A gnome named Grimble Grumble
and little gnomes, stay in their homes

___________________________

I love Syd, even his solo albums, but you're being ridiculous in regards to the lyrics. Waters was damn good.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2011 2:30 PM

7:01 Again = Anonymous man, big mouth

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2011 4:34 PM

I still hate Pink Floyd

Posted by Johnny Rotten | September 24, 2011 5:05 PM

MORE $ for Roger waters that's all
keep feeding the rich!

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2011 7:54 AM

I agree with the general consensus, that a guy who claims to be 'obsessive' about the Floyd should make so many (as in, more than 1) errors about the band's albums. Atom Heart Mother was not their third album, it was their 5th.Also, is this somehow limited to Pink Floyd? How many Beatles anthologies do we need? Why is Jimi Hendrix still releasing albums 40 years after his death? The music industry is in a death spiral; it's hardly Roger and Dave's fault.

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2011 11:58 AM

I just wanna know if these remasters sound any different/better than the last editions.

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2011 2:52 PM

I think the author's understanding of the context of the '70s compilations is sorely lacking.

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2011 6:08 PM

I'M TAKING THE TRAIN TO PHILLY

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2011 6:13 PM

@ Stephen and indirectly @ 5:52.

Stephen you cite Animals as an example of how good Gilmour was as a songwriter, but Animals was written nearly exclusively by Waters, as was The Wall. Waters was the primary creative force behind Pink Floyd, hence the reason they sucked pretty bad after he left.

Gilmour is/was an amazing guitar player and I think he balanced out some of Waters' more ludicrous ideas, hence why both Floyd and Waters solo stuff pretty much sucked, they needed each other to make great music.

@5:52, post-Barrett Floyd is far superior to Piper at the Gates of Dawn. End of story. Barrett was important, and he undeniably influenced latter Floyd lyrics and songs, but Dark Side, WYWH, Animals and even The Wall >>>> PatGoD.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2012 6:25 PM

pink Floyd rules

Posted by tim | August 18, 2013 8:26 PM

I love Pink Floyd. They are the imprint of former times and our times today, the time of the feelings.

Posted by Peter Demel | January 25, 2014 3:14 PM