Posted in music | tour dates on September 12, 2011

The Hold Steady @ MHOW in 2010 (more by Jessica Amaya)
The Hold Steady

As many guessed/figured out (due to a leak), I'm excited to announce that The Hold Steady are in fact the band headlining free BrooklynVegan/Eventbrite NYC show this Saturday, September 17th at Beekman Beer Garden!. Stay tuned for more details on the evening show, including a 2nd band on the bill. Free tickets will be available via Eventbrite HERE starting at 12:01am on Sept. 15.

wow i hope they play heaven is whatever in it's entirety. i can't afford sleeping pills and this is free.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:10 PM

even for free im not impressed.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:11 PM

oh I thought it was BrooklynVegan presents first U.S. Kings of Limbs show....

eh guess I'll have to wait till they play Bowery Ballroom on 9/25

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:12 PM

BOLD

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:16 PM

yeah, free sounds about right for the caliber of shows they're playing these days.

hang it up, finn & co. it ain't 2007 no more.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:18 PM

As predicted by BV readers...

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:20 PM

Mad I'm missing this. The last record was sort of a snore, but the last round of shows was as strong as they've been since early in the "Stay Positive" tour.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:21 PM

wow people in NYC even complain about free shows! cool

Posted by mark | September 12, 2011 3:22 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:22 PM

the national just booked four nights at the beacon in december. how on earth are they going to fill that place up four times?

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:23 PM

Needless to say, I hope I get in!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:24 PM

The National have gotten huge. They can easily fill the Beacon for 4 nights.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:24 PM

i hate this band! oh, well.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:27 PM

wow surprise surprise...BV commenters don't like a band.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:27 PM

I think it has something to do with the fact that the vocalist sounds like he has a cold that won't go away.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:29 PM

"oh I thought it was BrooklynVegan presents first U.S. Kings of Limbs show....

eh guess I'll have to wait till they play Bowery Ballroom on 9/25"

Nice try moron. Radiohead is not playing any shows while in town for SNL.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:29 PM

the park slope brunch jokes are almost as bad and tired as the hummus and frohawk bullshit. who is coming up with this nonsense? you people really need to work on your material, this shit ain't creative or funny.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:30 PM

I HATE FUN

Posted by Gerald | September 12, 2011 3:33 PM

These guys did a huge injustice to the late, great Huey Lewis.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:33 PM

must be taking a break from gigs with sublime and counting crows

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:40 PM

>>These guys are the epitome of the park slope, white, yuppie, brunch core sect. A lot of people completely misuse the brunch core label around here. THIS is THE BAND that epitomizes brunch core. Finn with his embarrassing stampy dance moves, his short sleeve plaid shirts, his buddy holly glasses. I am surprised he doesn't wear a manhattan portage bag on stage
Needless to say, I hope I get in!

I'm not going to disagree with you at all on that statement. However, if i may ask something of you ... please do not list THE BAND in caps like that as it's far too close to making an association with the group The Band who actually were fucking ace musicians and backed everyone from Muddy Waters and Bob Dylan to Ronnie Hawkins just to name a few.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:40 PM

Listen. Nobody here ever makes hummus "jokes". Our references to that lovely tan paste are sincere and from the heart and to be taken seriously.
Now onto serious business... Does anyone have a recipe to share?

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:41 PM

Finn solo record is long overdue beginning of the end. The remaining gigs are just them trying milk the money out of the lifeless dead carcass. Be surprised if there's another record.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:45 PM

lol Epiphone amps in road cases

one case costs more than all of those amps combined.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:47 PM

well THIS was a let down

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:48 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:49 PM

Don't these turds play NYC every other fucking weekend? Boring. Lets maybe get an interesting band next time, BV.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:51 PM

dad rock, no thanks...

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 3:55 PM

those amps are hollow

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:01 PM

> 3:40 thanks for the music lesson and that they backed up those people (when really that had very little connection)

how do you figure? if you go back and read, i made it very clear what the connection was. aww, but i get it now ... you have difficulty reading. tis ok, lil' camper. maybe if you cut back on billyburgers and reading only what the hipsters tell you to read, you might learn a thing or three.

how's this. let's make a field trip out of it. first, you head to other music in manhattan, that's the island part of nyc that you probably have never been to. maybe search around for some music that hipsters don't listen to. delve deep into something like contemporary classical that'll get whatever brain you have moving. then, take a trip to st. mark's books and see if you can find something that doesn't have pictures. words = good. knowledge is power! remember that, kiddo.

and when it's all done, walk over to chelsea to see some art shows. you might not understand it at first, but it should cause you to research a bit. the experience will be good for you.

and, after all that .... i'll sit you down, kick your sorry ass, and force you to listen to 'the basement tapes' so you can understand how real musicians operate. bitch.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:08 PM

I think the Hold Steady are good band, but not "surprise band" caliber.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:08 PM

@4:08: i like the band, i own the last waltz, and i have the basement tapes ON VINYL.

the funny thing is, do you see the irony of how you're trying to "civilize" me with your corny ideas of what art is (and your silly assumptions about me based on my one line comment), yet you end your rant like the football jock in my history class, saying you're going to beat me up, and then on top of that, you call me a bitch, you sexist homophobe? yeah, i'd love to hang out with you. good luck being lonely forever.

ps. no, yr stupid thing about the band is still stupid, THE BAND in capitals isn't THE WAY to write their name, and it never was, so it's only confusing to you, you football monkey. yr gonna die alone

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:14 PM

nerdcore-pass

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:15 PM

well...I'm excited! Thanks BV!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:23 PM

modern weepers rule

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:36 PM

well...I'm excited! Thanks BV!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:36 PM

"I am surprised he doesn't wear a manhattan portage bag on stage"

- comment of the day

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:41 PM

I'm confused: Levon Helm is in the Hold Steady now?

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 4:49 PM

Brunchcore 4 lyfe

Posted by the jim | September 12, 2011 5:09 PM

who are the Modern weepers?

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 5:19 PM

SNORE!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 5:20 PM

This will be an awesome show! Craig Finn for president!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 5:35 PM

Hold steady rocks!!!!!!!

Posted by pappy | September 12, 2011 5:38 PM

I can only hope the tear gas from Wall St. catches the wind over to this.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 5:50 PM

i'm not going unless there is free hummus and pita triangles

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 6:09 PM

The Hold Steady are performing Music From Big Pink in its entirety?

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 6:47 PM

Unlike all these assholes, I like the Hold Steady - but if you read the actual page a RSVP does not guarantee admission - it's first come first served. Soooo give us your information get nothing in return/lineup early. Fuck that I'll just buy a ticket when they next play thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2011 10:10 PM

oh-oh-oh-ohhhhhh
oh-oh-oh-ohhhhhh
oh-oh-oh-ohhhhhh
you gotta stay negative!!

you people. (that's right!)

Posted by cc | September 12, 2011 10:44 PM

well fuck my fanny! craig finn is in the national now!?

Posted by porridge tart | September 13, 2011 12:23 AM

@10:10 , because god knows it so hard to create an email address to use only for these types of events.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2011 9:47 AM

"I can only hope the tear gas from Wall St. catches the wind over to this."

Here's hoping...

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2011 1:49 PM

>yea, don't know why they're still going. franz actually made the right choice, jumping off this sinking ship.

How is Franz's vaudeville career doing? Despite the vitriol aimed at HS, that has to be one of the worst career moves ever.

Posted by Cracker Arse | September 13, 2011 2:51 PM

I have to think I'm not the only one to find the constant attempts of commenters on BV to hate EVERYTHING a bit tiresome.

A band is giving a free show. If you don't like them, don't go, sit in your apartment and spend the day trying to write a single song that approaches anything The Hold Steady have done.

Posted by dedc79 | September 13, 2011 5:00 PM