Posted in comedy | venues on September 16, 2011

by Klaus Kinski

UCB East

As previously mentioned, the long-awaited multi-purpose comedy venue UCB East has finally opened. Now so has its website.

The new venue is located on 153 East 3rd St. in Manhattan, and is the former home of the Two Boots Pioneer Theater. Even though I had only been to the Two Boots Theater once (back in 2003 to see the confoundingly brilliant Adolfas Mekas (Brother of Jonas) film Hallelujah the Hills), I was sad to hear it was closed down. But then I was elated to hear that the fine folks at the Upright Citizens Brigade would resurrected it as a comedy venue; a much needed element to that neighborhood considering Mo Pitkin's currently RIPs. The crucial distinction between UCB East and the UCB in Chelsea is that UCB East will be more stand-up/variety/screening/non-improv/non-sketch oriented. And I don't care if this distinction means nothing to you because it means a lot to me and I am the only person that matters. Not only is the venue closer to my house than UCB West, but this new satellite venue will allow some of my favorite UCB West shows like Joe Mande and Noah Garfinkel's Totally J/K to occur once a week (Thursdays at 9:00pm) as opposed to once a month. Plus, it'll introduce more non-improv/non-sketch weeklies to our lives. For example, the always incredible and probably criminally underrated Sara Schaefer has a show every Tuesday at 8:00pm called After Hours with Gene Hackman and Friends which will feature funny people, musical people, and other delightful things. On Thursdays at 11:00pm UCB's world famous open mic show Gutbucket (free!) gives people a chance to bomb in front of an audience. On Sundays at 9:00pm, hosts Mark Normand, Matt Ruby, Andy Haynes and David Cope bring newbies and comedy veterans to the stage for their show Hot Soup. And this is just scratching the surface. A gander at the FULL SCHEDULE will show you what's what. And yes, sure, there is SOME sketch and improv on the schedule, but that is hardly this venue's focus and that's what makes it great. That and the location amIright? The place also boasts a comfy bar to hang about in as well as cover charges in the $5 range. Now if only UCB West would give me a freakin' slot for my improv jam Anonymous: That's My Hummus, an improv-slash-sketch show that is unfunny, negative, and completely unnecessary.

Good Morning Billyburger kids. Have you read the 12:46 post here yet today?

make sure you memorize that.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 10:22 AM

I read somewhere that Matt Besser, Amy Pohler, Ian Roberts and Matt Walsh will have a late grand opening on 10/29

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 10:23 AM

"Now if only UCB West would give me a freakin' slot for my improv jam Anonymous: That's My Hummus, an improv-slash-sketch show that is unfunny, negative, and completely unnecessary."

Well played sir... well played

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 10:41 AM

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 10:45 AM

Uh...what does that have to do with UCB EAST?

Posted by @ Anonymous | September 16, 2011 10:22 AM | September 16, 2011 10:52 AM

almost the worst post ive ever read on this site, until that last sentence. nice.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 11:03 AM

More like "That's my Hum..." oh... wait

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 11:12 AM

Well, will you be serving hummus at that improv night? If so... I will certainly attend. I find that the phyto-nutrient rich chickpeas give me great stamina for comedy show moves such as giggling and golf clapping.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 1:47 PM

The hummus is not negative. It's a positive force to be reckoned with. In fact, the ancient Mesopotamians even once made giant stone boulders carved into chickpea shapes and payed homage to them by dancing around them in circles while chanting words of praise.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 2:18 PM

Funny that for all the awful, infantile, racist/sexist/homophobic comments being posted on a daily basis, only hummus guy gets called out on by the hosts site. Or maybe it's fitting. Hmm.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 2:37 PM

^ the only thing "fitting" is the perfect fit of a baby carrot (freshly dipped into hummus) fits into my hungry mouth.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 3:04 PM

ha!

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 3:38 PM

As a rather prominent board member of the Hummus Underground, I would like (once again) to point out that our discussions of hummus on this BV website is not intended to have comedic value. We are not making "jokes" nor do we we approve of making jovial statements about our beloved tan colored paste. We are here to share testimonials and an occasional recipe for others to read and enjoy. We hope this is not viewed as an intrusion to the dialogue, because us hummus eaters are a peaceful group that simply enjoy a robust platter with all the fixens. (pita triangles, baby carrots, etc) We are generally not "negative" however, we may get a bit cranky when our chickpea provisions get low, or when our pita triangles get stale, but I feel your statement on us being mean spirited are indeed without warrant. And if you do indeed do a Hummus based comedy night, I will certainly be in attendance, with a smile on my face and an olive oil stain upon my shirt. Do let us know! :)

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2011 3:46 PM