photos by Amanda Hatfield
Congrats to Youth Lagoon on his 'Best New Music' designation today. If you missed Youth Lagoon's first-ever NYC show at Mercury Lounge on 9/12, you still have a chance to get tickets to his second which takes place at Glasslands this Friday night (9/30).
Speaking of that first show, I forgot to post these pictures from it! It's been over two weeks, but here's what I remember most about it:
- They were a 2 piece. The main Youth Lagoon dude (Trevor Powers) has synths and a mic, and then there's a guitarist.
- The term "bedroom project" gets thrown around and personally I pictured a shy guy, but that wasn't the case at all. Not only was he talktative ("charming" as one audience member screamed out), he made lots of jokes.
- Most notably he joked that he couldn't play "Montana" because one of his synths was broken. He intro'd that joke by mentioning the video for the song that had just come out. The joke assumed that everyone in the 3/4 full Mercury Lounge crowd most wanted to hear that song (not saying he was wrong). After saying "just kidding!", he played the song.
- Though I never noticed from the recorded version, "Montana" live made me think "iPod commercial" (not a bad thing, just what I thought). (I immediately went out after the show and bought an iPod.) (just kidding!)
- He told a story about how it was hard to park in NYC.
- They were selling the album, CD and cassette, at the merch table (even though it just came out this week).
- If you like the record, you'll like him live - a confident performer/jokester.
- I wished there was a live drummer.
Youth Lagoon -- 2011 Tour Dates
09/29 Washington, DC DC9 *
09/30 Brooklyn, NY Glasslands *#
10/03 Boston, MA Great Scott *
10/04 Philadelphia, PA Kung Fu Necktie *
10/06 Grand Rapids, MI Calvin College *
10/07 Chicago, IL Empty Bottle *
10/08 Minneapolis, MN 7th St. Entry *
* = w/ Gardens & Villa
# = w/ Gem Club