Posted in music on October 24, 2011

Titus Andronicus @ Glasslands - 10/18/2011 (photo by Andrew St. Clair)
Titus

All you have to do is look at Titus Andronicus's Wikipedia page to see that the NJ band has gone though many lineup changes during their six years of existence. Ex-Titus members include Andrew Cedermark, Deer Tick's Ian O'Neil, and now sadly, Amy Klein. She writes:

A Message to Titus Andronicus' Friends and Fans

I just got back from my last tour with the band Titus Andronicus. Yes, it's true. As of today, I am no longer a member of the band.

I want to say an enormous thank you to every one of you for supporting me over the past two years, for cheering wildly at shows, for freaking the fuck out in insane circle pits, for singing along with every word, and for devoting yourself to this music and to this band with a passion that is downright inspiring. For me, the years I have spent in this band have been a time of transformation and self-discovery, and I know it is the power of music and the people who believe in it that have made me the person I am today.

I can't even explain what it is like to go from believing you are a total loser to believing that you are an individual with a voice. I think sooner or later everyone learns how to believe in herself, but the thing is, not everyone is lucky enough to get to do this in front of an audience filled with people like you.

To all the kids who came to a Titus Andronicus show over the past two years, I would like to say, "You are what punk is for. Punk is in you. Now go and do whatever you want with it." To every friend I met on the road, I would like to say, "Without you, I couldn't have done any of this." To the kind folks at XL, Beggars Group, Merok, Marcata Recording, 13 Artists, and Ground Control Touring--especially Sonya, Chris, Kris, Todd, Kevin, Nicole, and Chavez, I would like to say, "I appreciate all the work you've put into this band."

And most of all, to the guys in Titus Andronicus--Patrick, Dave, Eric, Julian, and, yes, Ian, who put up with me for the past two years, and who are truly some of the most dedicated and hardest working musicians out there, I would like to say, "I wish you the best of success. You are the great American rock and roll band of our time."

Titus Andronicus Forever,

Amy (no longer Andronicus)

P.S. I am not quitting music, just gonna be focusing on my own bands from now on.

Titus played their last NYC show with Amy during CMJ (pictured above). They play their first without her at Le Poisson Rouge in November.

Amy has serious self-esteem issues - Wow.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 10:47 AM

It's sad to see her go, but while she was here she always inspired me. I'm so glad I got to see her with that lineup 5 times, including in a cafeteria! I'm sure she'll continue to rock the fuck out.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 10:47 AM

I"M NOT EVEN BORED ENOUGH TO TRY OUT THIS BAND - DAVID SANDERSON

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 10:53 AM

Please hire Lana Del Rey in her place. Please hire Lana Del Rey in her place. Please hire Lana Del Rey in her place.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 10:53 AM

>>I would like to say, "I wish you the best of success. You are the great American rock and roll band of our time."

And, Ms. Klein, I would like to say, "You need to get out and hear more music."

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 10:55 AM

KCMU would not have given this band the time of fuckin day. KEXPitchfork, however, gets off to them each and every single day.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 10:57 AM

10:55- states anonymous messageboard twat.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 10:58 AM

TEAR

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 10:58 AM

the great american rock and roll band of our time? what? are you fucking serious, sweetheart? yeah, they're a rock and roll band. and yeah, they like to rip off civil war shtick. whatever. but, um, baby, "the" rock and roll band of our time? you need to get your virgin ears out of the fucking gutter and start listening to more music.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:02 AM

and then... tragedy struck

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:03 AM

Bummer. Will be hard to find a guitarist who can play the violin like that too...nice touch that will be missed at the live shows by (one of the) great American rock and roll bands of our time. Good luck Amy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:06 AM

i'm protesting.

i'm protesting.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:08 AM

She is now Lana Del Rey's backup vocalist/muff-fluffer.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:11 AM

I actually spat out the food i was eating as i was reading this. From laughter. Oh get the fuck over yourself Amy. This "news" won't even ripple the top 100 trending topics. That is how important this so called "one of the greatest rock and roll bands of our time" is.
The only statement she made that has any truth to it is this one.

"To all the kids who came to a Titus Andronicus show over the past two years"

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:11 AM

what is a muff-fluffer?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:14 AM

"You are the great American rock and roll band of our time."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:17 AM

"Yup, kids! Ones who have no real clue yet as to what makes up a truly great rock and roll band." -- 11:11AM

Only old, bitter and ugly people, sitting hunched at their keyboard staring at the BV comments section and posting anonymously, like 11:11AM, can judge what makes up a truly great rock and roll band. Hear, hear!

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:20 AM

I look forward to ordering a venti mocha frappuccino from her.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:23 AM

ms. klein, you have some SERIOUS issues.

that's all I have to say about that.

Posted by Brandon | October 24, 2011 11:25 AM

not a punk band. k.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:27 AM

touring guitarist quits somebody else's band, issues press release

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:33 AM

nicely written, thoughtful farewell letter. best of luck and all happiness in future endeavors!

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:35 AM

Why do so many members leave Titus Andronicus? There must be a reason.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:36 AM

Got Inflated Ego?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:37 AM

Where is the review of the S P I N D O C T O R S show from last night?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:46 AM

11:20-Ooookay,calling people who you cannot even see ugly. Guess the comment you were all angry about rings true. Idiot kids who don't have a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:47 AM

Does that guy's beard annoy the shit out of anyone else? I mean, I can't even really articulate it, but for some reason I just want to punch that guy in the face.

And that chick is hilarious.

I mean good lord. What a square. She needs to go do something else.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:49 AM

i'm protesting.
i'm protesting.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:50 AM

>>"And to any girl out there who still believes that she will always be a loser, let me answer you with a quote from "No Future Part III:" "That's okay." I was one too. Trust me. You're gonna be someone someday. It's a crazy world we live in, one where even your biggest, loudest, wildest, rock'n'roll dreams can come true."

Holy Fucking Shit. Amy, who on this big blue marble do you think you are? You didn't even play on any of those albums. You were a fucking hired live player. Don't worry, you're still nobody.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 11:55 AM

jesus. never seen this band play but hope amy doesn't read these comments. petty/cruel. bv definitely posting this just so people hate on it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:00 PM

Speaking of petty/cuel comments, I'll miss her spectacularly bushy eyebrows.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:02 PM

She is still a loser.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:08 PM

Amy Del Ghey

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:10 PM

can't believe there hasn't been one pics of trash talk....

they were the best band by far at cmj.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:15 PM

Did Amy have a hand in writing anything? Or is everything Patrick?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:19 PM

She's already changed her twitter ID, too. That was fast. (she was previously @amyandronicus)

Posted by Michael Senchuk | October 24, 2011 12:22 PM

I like Titus Andronicus live. A lot. I did not think she added anything to the live band.

I also, unfortunately, stumbled on her solo act, which is worse than Salem on a good day.

Will not be missed.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:25 PM

11:49 you are not alone. I want to punch that guy in the face too. A concept album about the Civil War? Jesus Christ.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:34 PM

this is like 911

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:39 PM

finally that bitch is out

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:40 PM

Perhaps she'll now form Tightus Vaginacus with her Sapphic playpals.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:43 PM

Iced Earth had the better Civil War concept album anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:49 PM

Jeez, lay off the girl. She was complimenting her friends in the band. Let her call them the great American band if she wants to.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:51 PM

^ Hands vote ... you lose!

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:57 PM

how much longer until everyone leaves Titus Andronicus?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:58 PM

i bet she takes it in the ass

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:59 PM

untalented and annoying. this is not news

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 12:59 PM

Besides having quite possibly the most awful band name in history, that photo makes live music look like the worst thing since slavery (civil war reference)

Posted by Zola Gomez | October 24, 2011 1:15 PM

Would not hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:17 PM

at least she's not as untalented as the girl from total slackers

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:20 PM

she's as talented as total slackers put together

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:21 PM

TOTAL SLACKER 4EVER

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:23 PM

"No, there was no big fight or anything--no wild partying, drug, or alcohol addiction leading to me getting fired--no dramatic story--nothing like that. It is just time for me to move on."

Ok, explanation accepted so do you really need another 5+ verbose paragraphs to whine and depress us even more?
Good riddance cunt.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:23 PM

maybe if indie rock was, you know, less sexist, there wouldn't be a need for AK's honesty. the comments on this post, like those on most posts on BV that involve female musicians, nicely illustrate humanity's incredible discomfort with anyone or anything who attempts to shake things up, never mind speak up about systematic problem such as sexism.

i've only seen AK play with hilly eye so i can't really comment on her musical abilities in regards to titus andronicus. this is probably stating the obvious but i imagine if AK was male, even the negative comments would sound completely different.

in closing, shut up and go do something productive—work, create art, raise a family, whatever. to allude to another BV favorite, stop being such a land of talk.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:25 PM

I have been waiting for this to happen since she issued that ridiculous rant on Lana del Rey...Amy brought very little, if anything, substantial to Titus Andronicus. And I have been going to see them for years and will continue to do so.

Why so many TA haters on this board? They are really a breath of fresh air from the trendy skinny jean dickheads coming out of Brooklyn. They have creativity, great energy, and excellent lyrics. They're talented kids. Get over it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:26 PM

^they wrote a concept about the Civil War for Christ's sake. That sucks on many different levels, but suffice to say, it's about 180 degrees from Rock & Roll. That dumb bitch quitting is a good start, now someone just punch that bearded dork in the face and let's put an end to this horrible horrible band.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:30 PM

"The Trendy Skinny Jean Dickheads Coming Out of Brooklyn", saw this band at CMJ. They were awesome! I think they are from Norway.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:33 PM

I know it sounds like sacrilege but Amy Klein might actually suck more than Janeane Garofalo.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:33 PM

wow...u guys are terrible. she is actually a pretty solid guitarist. and for the record, she was writing to the band members and the fans that supported her. wasnt really writing the state of the union, and certainly wasnt writing to u.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:41 PM

^ alrighty then. Run along now ...

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:43 PM

1:25-Please take that high and mighty attitude of yours and shove it right up your asshole. I don't give a shit if the person who wrote that crap statement is a girl/guy/shemale or your mother. It was ridiculous, inane and wreaking of self importance not to mention idiocy.

1:26-Get over yourself. TA is pretty fucking run of the mail rock. Breath of fresh air???? LOL. Again, kids who know not a fucking thing making comments here.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:45 PM

^
is it high and mighty to point out when someone is being cruel? there is difference between constructive criticism and hate, and the latter seems to be winning out in this post.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:51 PM

Wow, I was already aware that this group was substandard and indicative of Brooklyn's (New Jersey, natch) "underground" mediocrity-celebrating music scene (curated by Todd P!), but I didn't realize that they were popular enough to get a B.V. post detailing their third rhythm guitarist's departure.

Did Alia Shawcat tweet about it or something?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:54 PM

"They're talented kids. Get over it."

Please stop addressing people over the age of 18 as "kids." A gentleman with a beard like that and, from what I'm told, a furry box to match courtesy of Ms. Klein, these are definitely adults only.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:54 PM

1:51 between this shit and her Lana Del Rey drivel, I'm just fine with dishing out hate and cruelty to this insufferable women

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:58 PM

"...there was no wild partying, drug, or alcohol addiction..."

that's why she's moving on. titus andronicus sounds like a shit rock band to be in. they probably sit around reading books during downtime at practice, when obviously they should be bonding with a bump.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 1:59 PM

I agree with all of the above. You all get gold stars. I'm gonna go chill and listen to "Video Games."

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 2:02 PM

Is it really necessary to jump all over her like this? It was a nice (albeit naive) way to say "thanks for everything, people".

This post is definitely bait for the venn diagram overlap between "commenters that can't wait to be sexist" and "people in brooklyn that hate music you can drink beer to".

I hope a plus-sized woman joins the Hold Steady, just so that you all have brain hemorrhages.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 2:03 PM

Amy went to Harvard and she has to play a couple of tours in a two-bit indie rock band to realize she's "not a loser".
That's pretty sad, folks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 2:03 PM

^she was right the first time, she's a loser

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 2:08 PM

Lulz, 2:03. I prefer women I can drink beer to.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 2:09 PM

Shoulda taken that money she wasted on Harvard and applied it to something more meaningful and tangible such as a boob job and collagen like her idol Del Rey.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 2:11 PM

It's perfect that she went to Harvard. She sure comes across as having almost no experience or worldview outside of liberal academia.

And yes, obviously she is in love with Lana Del Rey.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 2:14 PM

This is classic http://www.titusandronicus.net/
Bearded guy tells the story of how he lost his band, got wasted out of his mind at DBA, and invited her to join the band sight unseen, because he used to know her.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 2:29 PM

fuck these nerds

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 2:36 PM

Way the hell is she talking about? Sounds complicated. She seems more suited for jazz with that ramble.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 3:17 PM

1:25 is a horse
I said it

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 3:47 PM

dude 1:25 was Colin P Fitz

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 3:54 PM

Commenters on this site are just fucking pathetic. Shut it down already, please.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:09 PM

fuck this band

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:09 PM

these are some pretty "run of the mail" comments right here

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:15 PM

^run of the mail. nice. lulz

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:17 PM

THIS CHICK IS THE DEFINITION CLOWN SHIT.

Her "band" is a fucking joke.

This "girl" schtick makes me sick for all little girls who would ever look up to her.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:17 PM

the joke is one person commenting over and over on a band they don't like

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:20 PM

civil war concept album.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:32 PM

Just curious, why is writing a Civil War concept album considered un-hip or boring? Is it because you fucking hipster dipshits never opened a history textbook?

Titus Andronicus is a loud, sloppy band you can drink kegs to. Better listening to that than fucking Beach Fossils.

All of you need to get the fuck over your holier-than-thou musical taste and move back to Ohio.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:35 PM

you're right, beach fossils is pretty run of the mail indie rock.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:44 PM

I never drank me a keg before. Seems like an awful lotta beer even for listening to the loud sloppy rocknroll. I likes me some smooth jazz and Courvoisier more better.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:47 PM

Could this woman be any lamer? Does this type of heart on your sleeve earnestness actually appeal to anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:52 PM

titus andronicus has been my favorite band for years and i'm a female, but i never liked amy. i could always tell that she was just using the band to promote herself and now she's "gonna be focusing on my own bands from now on".. guess i was right.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 4:54 PM

focusing on your own bands is a pretty run of the mail reason to leave a much more popular band.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 5:09 PM

who cares? this band should eat some metal sausage then maybe they'd have some balls.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 6:46 PM

This bitch is built like a 12 year old boy.
not a good look.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 7:32 PM

Oh man y'all are HILARIOUS!

1. Titus Andronicus are fucking awesome.
2. Amy Klein is a fucking hero.

You're just intimidated that women can be rock 'n roll, too. It's really pathetic, seeing you use this as an excuse to be sexist assholes. Pretty funny, too.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 8:58 PM

^ a sphincter says what?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 9:04 PM

8:58 is a cat
get off the internet cat!

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 9:05 PM

i agree with 8:58 women can rock the dishes and roll in bed

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 9:08 PM

I like Sleater_Kinney. But mostly, I'm partial to boobs and bee stung lips made by doctors.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 9:19 PM

now's the perfect opportunity for titus to get Caroline "dat ass" Polachek to replace her, just imagine her stage diving on to my dick

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2011 9:29 PM

this chick is a butter everything.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2011 2:10 AM

Titusandronicustheband.blogspot.com has Patrick telling the whole story of how amy ended up in the band. He actually is a lot more sincere that she was.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2011 7:34 AM

self-esteem issues? Seems more like raging intellectual arrogance and self-importance, and the lack of a sense of humor. People tend to lose me when they start talking about "punk" though.

Posted by hmmm | October 25, 2011 11:30 AM

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2011 12:27 PM

Amy, you'll be missed! I'm glad you'll still be working on your own material. You're a very talented lady. Rock on!

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2011 2:12 PM

As a woman and a feminist, I reserve the right to acknowledge that this chick sounds like an insufferable twit.

Posted by Anonymous | October 26, 2011 1:16 PM

Jersey pride forever!
::moves to Brooklyn::

Posted by Michael | November 1, 2011 11:07 AM

Titus Andronicus is one of my favorite bands, but yeah. Fuck Amy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2011 6:49 PM

Was she a hummus type?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2011 7:19 PM

A woman, I've been following Titus for years, and when she first joined the band, her personality was immediately clear. She is a terrible pseudo-feminist/intellectual that used these ideologies only when she would benefit. She was horrendous on stage, and sadly mediocre at both instruments she played. No one wants to see a giddy five year old jumping up and down in place with a shit eating grin on their face. I've never seen one shamelessly self promote themselves for fame while at the same time claiming to be merely 'part of a movement.' Even the band called her out on this.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:06 PM

what's with all the hate? Love people, we get so little time, and all of you haters are just full or waste & what's more, yr probably all good people, who are suffering from anger & frustration at the voids in your own lives. Say what you want, but you're all lost.

Plus, Amy for fucking president.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 10:49 AM

Yeah fuck these nerds. Don't know who is more annoying, the scrawny little beta male or the fugly chick.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 11:01 AM