Posted in music | pictures on October 5, 2011

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

Bryan Ferry

Bryan Ferry is in the midst of a rare US tour that hits NYC on Thursday, but first brought him to Montclair, NJ's Wellmont Theater last night (10/4). Before Jersey was DC:

"This was Ferry's first D.C. area visit since his latest release, 2010's "Olympia," but he barely acknowledged that album. Instead, the singer presented two sets of greatest cult hits, featuring such Roxy Music standards as "Avalon" but heavy on other people's tunes he's claimed as his own. Ferry wore a black suit and tie -- white shirt for the first hour, black for the second -- and performed R & B stompers (Wilbert Harrison's "Let's Stick Together") and craggy rockers (Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane") as if they were cut from the same Savile Row cloth as his urbane originals." [Washington Post]
You can see Ferry's 2-set NJ setlist with more pictures from the show, which included an opening set by The Phenomenal Handclap Band, below...

Ferry nice

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:52 AM

In every dream home, a heartache.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:55 AM

Man, Phenomenal Handclap Band show up everywhere. Hardest working not-as-bad-as-you-think band in show business!

Posted by M | October 5, 2011 10:01 AM

Is that Lana Del Skank in the 2nd pic?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:03 AM

PHCB can fuk off, was real cool when they waited till 1am at brooklyn bowl to announce that they werent showing up=pi$$ on grave

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:30 AM

I love Bryan, but what a terrible set list. I count 6 Roxy Music songs...only 3 of which are good Roxy Music songs. Plus 2 good solo songs. Sad.

Does any rock artist have less of a clue why people like him than Bryan Ferry? Who the hell goes to see this man thinking "I sure hope he does a bunch of smooth-jazz Dylan covers!"

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:46 AM

""I sure hope he does a bunch of smooth-jazz Dylan covers!""
He's been doing those for a long time, since at least his first or 2nd solo record in the early 70's. You thing he's going to start covering songs from the first Roxy album wearing an outrageous costume?

Posted by nygrump | October 5, 2011 10:58 AM

Wow there are some seriously old ass people in the audience...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 12:52 PM

12:52 = n00b

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 1:18 PM

absolutely agree with comments on set list.
would have preferred more of the classic older roxy tunes and less Love is the drug, oh yeah, avalon..etc. also I thoght this was the Olympia tour ?? Only 3 songs from this "new" effort ???

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 1:41 PM

FAB SHOW !!! :)

Posted by Rene M | October 5, 2011 2:15 PM

12:52- Bryan Ferry is 66 you fucking retard. How old should the majority of his fans be?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 3:00 PM

I was one of the "seriously old-ass" people at the concert. At least I wasn't home crocheting and drooling and then retiring at 8pm like most of my cohorts.

Posted by oldass | October 5, 2011 3:22 PM

3:22-Don't worry. People like 12:52 talk a big game but, the second they have a kid, completely forget they had lives previously.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 3:36 PM

3:36: oh I know the type, I used to live in Park Slope, Brooklyn. They all think they're going to be the exception to the rule & stay "hip and cool" their whole lives so they can make fun of other people for being old-asses & liking Bryan Ferry....hahahahaha.

Posted by oldass | October 5, 2011 3:56 PM

3:36 = old ass dude

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 4:10 PM

still the king of cool Mr. Bryan Ferry. saw the concert last night @wellmont theather one of the best show i've been this year. LONG LIVE BRYAN FERRY.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 4:56 PM

It was indeed a great show--I've been listening to Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry since 1973 and since he/they don't tour often, always try to make the shows in the NYC area.

Posted by oldass | October 5, 2011 5:12 PM

I am confident enough in my homosexuality that I can say I need that Roxy Music tote bag.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 5:59 PM

4:10- nope, far from it. Just not one of the hive twat-mind that seems to post here.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 6:16 PM

okay, when you all write at least one great song, you can comment on Mr Ferry.

until then, just continue to wonder why you have to choose between paying rent or drinking PBR in Willyburg (that is, until your parents' check arrives)

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 6:41 PM

I have been to see Bryan Ferry in Ireland and it was brilliant show .
12.52 stay at home and dont be such a pain where the sun dont shine if you didnt like it why did you go to the concert in the first place t. Your the one thats the retard not Bryan or his diehard fans. Get a lfe and yes his fans have grown up with him and Roxy Music . Go and suck on a lolie pop I assume you are a child that never grew up

Posted by Siobhan Greaney | October 5, 2011 8:44 PM

Is that Eno in the 3rd photo from the bottom?

Posted by Bob | October 6, 2011 9:21 PM

Great photos - particularly his son Isaac in the Roxy Music polo shirt.

Ignoring the ageism in rock comments - how about a nod to Roxy's original drummer The Great Paul Thompson and guitar God oft BF collaborator Chris Spedding who both joined this leg of the BF tour - astounding! Young Oliver Thompson on lead guitar was amazing as well - this kid is going to be a big name in his own right.

Long live Sir Bryan indeed!

Posted by Lead Pearl | October 7, 2011 8:59 AM

Thanks for posting these photos. From where I was sitting I couldn't get any good ones.
Were you at Veggie Heaven prior to show?

Posted by Carol Davis | October 8, 2011 10:24 AM

great band,lousy setlist

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2011 10:58 AM

I saw three shows in England on the 2011 Roxy Music tour and this American tour that Bryan is doing is sort of like a combo of those shows and a solo show, where he plays lots of Roxy tunes as well as his solo stuff which does not leave much room for more stuff from "Olympia". He did not tour here with "Dylanesque" so to hear songs from that album was a treat for me, especially "All Along The Watchtower". As for him not being front and center all night, that harkens back to early Roxy when he was mainly THE keyboard player. If you were a true fan you would know where to look for him. I wish I could have seen more than one show on this tour but I had to settle for the NY show, which I loved every minute of. TOO bad I had to be told that if I wanted to stand up and dance I had to go over by the wall with the others who knew how to enjoy the show. If I wanted to SIT in my seat and hold up my camera phone all night I could stay in the $125 seat that I paid for. People who go to concerts to sit and film them on cell phones should stay home and wait for the dvd. It's rock and roll "You Can Dance" if you want to!

Posted by mike | October 15, 2011 10:05 AM