Posted in hiphop | music | pictures on October 17, 2011

words & photos by BBG

Creators Project

Hopefully, there weren't masses that headed to DUMBO on Saturday (10/15) expecting a few Mozz-a-repa stands, a sausage & pepper cart, and a dealer selling his collection of "tobacco" pipes while looking for the live music. The Creators Project had much more to offer. It celebrated the different facets of creativity within art, music, and theater while showcasing live music alongside interactive sculpture to create a wholly different "festival" environment.

The musical portion was limited to two live stages and a third "DJ" stage which also housed a few exhibits. One live stage was located under an archway beneath the Manhattan Bridge. The other was in the "Tobacco Warehouse", a brick structure that has also hosted the Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival. The shows were free, though you needed to RSVP (and even then you needed a confirmation that you were accepted).

I kicked off my afternoon at the Tobacco Warehouse stage with Teen Daze whose laptop knob-twiddling didn't make for much of a live event. After a few songs I moved on to my first band of the day, Brooklyn's Chairlift. Caroline Polachek is the clear focus of the band's sound, with her vocals pushed to the front and the electronic-pop complementing her lilting voice. Their sunny and simple compositions were sugar-y, well executed and a good way to ease into the day, but not particularly memorable. The next performance would bring about an abrupt change.

John Maus
Creators Project

No one outcrazys John Maus. After the crew cleared the stage of seemingly every piece of gear, the very unassuming Maus came on to plug his Roland SP-404 sampler into the DI and his microphone into an echo pedal. With the hit of his sampler, Maus kicked off his set by bouncing left and right and jumping around. Veins bulged in his neck and face as he began to scream, sing, whimper and all but cry into his microphone during his vocal parts. Even if I had no interest in his recorded material (which I do, and tons of it), I would, as I'm sure any passerby would, still find the maniacal John Maus live (almost freak) show absolutely enthralling. Catch him again this week at 285 Kent.

After 3+ songs from Clams Casino on the laptop which was about as exciting as it sounds (dramatic key-stroke!), A$AP Rocky opened his set by explaining that people are saying he is the "biggest thing to hip hop since the Wu-Tang Clan". I'd like to meet these people. Regardless of how over/correctly hyped A$AP is, he and his crew (which included an appearance from Spaceghostpurrp) were particularly high energy - stage-diving, inciting mosh-pits, and hopping around on stage. The crowd didn't move with the same enthusiasm though. Despite calls for more participation, the crew didn't ignite similar energy in the crowd.

After a visit to see Four Tet (another knob-twiddling set), I cruised over to see Bradford Cox do a one-man Atlas Sound. I prefer Atlas Sound in full band mode to Bradford solo, but his set was fresh change to the mostly electronic vibe of the day. Cox's voice coupled with the Bridge backdrop and the Manhattan skyline was particularly impressive.

Company Flow
Creators Project

Up next was Company Flow, my main motivation for being there since I missed their recent reunion shows at ATP and Santos Party House.

It had been around 14 years since I saw Company Flow on tour with Organized Konfusion, the former celebrating their seminal Funcrusher Plus and the latter promoting what may be their final effort, The Equinox. That summer in 1997, Co-Flow sounded so alien to everything else in the era; primitive, noisy beats made with crude synths and harsh scratches were complemented by abstract and double-time rhymes. Lead by a white redhead-ed MC (a rarity in the era), Company Flow was truly unique in their time.

Company Flow were massive to me in that certain, early-backpacker Rawkus era, the blast-off point for El-P's noisy and dystopian blueprint at Definitive Jux. So it pains me to say that the primitive Company Flow sound hasn't aged so well live; El-P still has a good stage presence as always, but unfortunately the rawness of the tracks just now come across as simplistic in comparison to his sleeker production. It was good to see the crew though, and with Pharoahe Monch in tow, much like that night in DC in 1997.

After Co-Flow, I caught a bit of Florence & The Machine before calling it an evening meaning I also missed the abbreviated Justice DJ set. Though cops shut down Jusice early and a vocal minority of DUMBO residents complained about the takeover of their neighborhood streets, the complaints were minor leagues compared to the impressive spectacle that descended on art galleries, parks, storefronts, and even an archway underneath the Manhattan Bridge.

We're splitting this into multiple parts, so stay tuned for the rest. Meanwhile, more pictures of everything I saw, below...

DJ Ravves

Teen Daze

Chairlift

John Maus

Clams Casino

A$AP Rocky

SpaceGhostPurp

Four Tet

Atlas Sound

Company Flow

Creators Project

flo and the machine fantastic set, wonderful vibes

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:19 AM

Justice would of been great if it weren't for the damn cops. can anyone confirm what happened? overcrowded? on that note, Four Tet was amazing. he is coming back neck month, i cannot wait.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:20 AM

"I prefer Atlas Sound in full band mode to Bradford solo"

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:32 AM

^ Atlas Sound is sometimes rounded out by The Selmanaires and a handful of Brooklyn musicians/friends.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:39 AM

"Full band Atlas Sound?? You prefer something that DOESN'T EXIST. Atlas Sound IS Bradford solo, idiot."

Atlas Sound does so play as a full band. You are the idiot 1:32.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:47 AM

Dang that guy musta been growing his dreadies for years.

Posted by ch131 | October 17, 2011 1:53 AM

Actually, you're the idiot. Having a solo project does not mean that they can't have a backing band on tour, which he does.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 2:15 AM

the audio mix for chairlift was terrible. was just the keyboardist & drums (no bass, no guitar, no vocals)

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 2:21 AM

i wonder if anyone here is old enough to remember the real amazing (in differance to millenial amazing...)events INSIDE the anchor of the brooklyn bridge.
man, that place from the inside is something else. doesn't look like a place in new york, more like a goth or a crusaders hall. there was some crazy stuff going there years ago, until post 9/11 the feds declare it a terror target.
if you were happy to see music under the arch on saturday, try to imagine how it could look indide the arches.

Posted by ME | October 17, 2011 2:22 AM

No pics of the amazing Florence?

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 2:59 AM

IS JOHN MAUS THE NEW WESLEY WILLIS?!

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 3:07 AM

Does this pretty negative post indicate that at least one hip indie-music loving Brooklynite is finally getting over the shitty retardedness of knob-twiddling acts? Can you please get angrier about this so other people will follow your lead? K thnx!

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 3:34 AM

you're the knob twiddler bbg, you're the knob twiddler

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 6:40 AM

The Walking Maus

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 7:42 AM

John Maus looks like he's trying to pass a kidney stone.

Posted by BRUNO | October 17, 2011 8:44 AM

This was the best thing Vice has ever done except the time it got me laid at a Stills afterparty in 2003.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 8:45 AM

art was shit...i mean, real shit.

electronic music live usually sucks and this didnt help the cause.

it was well organized though. nice weather for something like this.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 8:55 AM

Hey BV, maybe you should send someone to this other than the guy who writes all the metal reviews so I don't have to read all this talk of "knob twiddling." Some people happen to like electronic music, asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 8:55 AM

Fuck Florence. Give it one more year until she's sounding just like Fergie meets Sarah MacLaughlan.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 8:58 AM

nosaj thing > everyone else

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 9:04 AM

I thought a lot of the art was really fun 8:55. The Life On Mars revisited thing was awesome as was the visual interpretation of Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space (especially if you're as big a fan of that song as I am). You really had to lie down in the light until the rest of the people in the room disappeared to really enjoy it though. Super Pong was by the far the coolest though. I want one of those tables in my apartment.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 9:15 AM

awful, boring photos...coupled by such a close-minded review/wrap-up of the festival.

bbg sucks...stick to the metal shows

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 9:35 AM

"After a visit to see Four Tet (another knob-twiddling set)"

That sentence shows how very little you know about electronic music.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 9:46 AM

Yuksek was my jam!

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 9:53 AM

Really, were they all from the Creative Department?

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 9:53 AM

you give some people a mic and knobs and look what happens. Pull your pants up!

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 9:56 AM

Are people really interested in seeing people press buttons on a computer?

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 10:02 AM

For the record, no one here knows how much or how little electronic, indie, hip hop, metal, punk, or jazz music I listen to, or for that matter, write about. I personally don't like to watch someone that isn't putting on a SHOW and furthermore, I find it odd/off-putting to see hundreds or thousands of people watching an electronic artist and not dancing to it. That, to me, is counter-intuitive to what they do.

I enjoy anyone that can incorporate a live element into their show, like A-Trak, DJ Shadow, Daft Punk, Justice, Prurient, etc. I don't care for watching someone DJ or play Ableton from his/her laptop. I personally like Four Tet and many of the artists represented at Creators Project, but for some it doesnt much for a live show, sorry. I feel the same way about most live hip hop, noise, power electronics, some one-man projects, etc. Some things arent made for the big stage unless they have been adapted for it, and some artists understand that and some don't.

Posted by BBG | October 17, 2011 10:06 AM

Justice, Nosaj, Company, Four Tet > All
Amazing. It would have been more awesome if Justice wasn't shut down by the pigs

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 10:14 AM

Did Florence sing or wail? oh that's right, she only wails.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 10:22 AM

Did Nosaj Thing go on late? I checked out the dance gallery at around 4:30 and it was just some white dude playing 90s R&B jams. It was good and all, but not what I was expecting. Did he have any visuals accompanying his set? I thought that was a major compenent of his shows and it would work really well at an event like Creator's.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 10:25 AM

I don't understand why you felt like Four Tet's performance was boring. While I was in the front which may not have given a proper representation of how the crowd was enjoying in general. From what I saw the crowd was incredibly into his music. That and the light show that was happening there, I have no idea if that was provided by him or the venue it's self. Either way people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I understand many people do not enjoy electronic based live shows because they feel they aren't "making music" while on stage but in the case of Four Tet he was truly performing music on stage. It wasn't some pre recorded set that he pushed play from.

I didn't see the other electronic artist so I can't comment on them.

Posted by beast | October 17, 2011 11:05 AM

music was great. crowd was great. chairlift sucked. art was shit. food wasn't free. all in all, i had an incredible time.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 11:08 AM

If you adjust the contrast in Photoshop, you can totally see EVERYTHING in those pics of the chick in Chairlift.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 11:19 AM

Saw TEEN DAZE at MHOW last night, he had the audience boppin'. TYCHO,with a band was good too. The DJ inbetween sets though, was horrible.It might have been just a bad night but this guy couldn't mix for shit, didn't connect with the audience at all. He had some tunes but they became listless in his hands. Why anyone would put this fellow ON STAGE is beyond me.When the performer on stage is looking at his watch it doesn't bode well. Who ever came up with the idea to WATCH DJ's should be shot. LISTEN TO DJ's..stop watching them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 11:27 AM

It was just sad when the crowd was screaming 'SHUT UP AND GET NAKED' at the Chairlift singer, and she humbly complied.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 11:31 AM

it feels like a chair is lifting out of my pants

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 11:43 AM

Not sure what motivated the Chairlift singer to wear that leotard thing. Not very flattering. Some things are better left to the imagination.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 11:46 AM

Caroline Polachek's favorite vacation spot:
"My stepfather is a baron. He has a castle in Belgium that's been in his family for hundreds and hundreds of years. It's not fancy; it's really sort of brimstone and dark. It's got a moat and a drawbridge"

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 11:59 AM

@11:46 This video probably motivated the leotard. What motivated the leotard in the video? That remains a mystery.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 12:03 PM

i liked the chairlift set...nice late addition to the lineup.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 12:13 PM

120am where is four tet playing next month?

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:08 PM

1) Enjoyed Four Tet set the most
2) Was the curfew set at 930pm?
3) I love how there's no more shit talking after BBG said Anyone who wants to discuss my thoughts further can email me at my public address. I don't respond well to the faceless.

Keep doing good work BBG!

Posted by Tikk | October 17, 2011 1:12 PM

shit talking? just pointing out how boring his photos were and lifeless the review was. you call shit talking, i call an honest opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:23 PM

Thanks anonymous commenter. Chalk up one more for BBG

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:36 PM

Personally, if the BBG knew the EDM scene a little better then DP, Justice, DJ Shadow, etc. he would have retracted that "knob twiddling set" statement if he took 5 minutes to head over to Yuksek. That guy is french EDM gold, and his livesets are unmatched by anyone I've ever seen. Can't wait to see him at Cameo Friday.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:37 PM

If you watched more than 5 minutes of Four Tet you'd know it wasn't "knob turning". He wasn't pushing play and jumping around like a moron (looking at you John Maus). Of course, people are going to react initially to someone moving around on stage but after further inspection it's the MUSIC that matters, right?

Stick to Metal, please.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:37 PM

fuck metal...all the metal coverage on here makes me not want to come back to this site.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 1:41 PM

Bunch of Anon can't even email BBG...pussies!

Posted by You know who you are | October 17, 2011 2:09 PM

If you haven't seen John Maus, that's what he's referring to. Please tell me you honestly enjoy this. Really??

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 2:34 PM

You're right. This is so much more exciting

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 3:02 PM

Bottom line: BBG namechecking A-Trak FIRST in that 'I totes 'preciate kewl electronic live acts' should set off approx 4.5 red flags

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 3:10 PM

The art wasn't great. That Spiritualized thing was particularly disappointing, basically being four strong lights in a pointy ceiling. The Bowie film "remix" looked like it got stuck on the spools. And while I had a great time playing Super Pong, I'd hesitate to call a three-foot-long pong game "art."

As for the music, well, it was about the same. About as many people scurried away from Florence as headed towards her. (Count me among the former.) Yuksek was a great dance band, though pretty much a French Thompson Twins. The "special guest," who last year was MIA, was a pretty average DJ.

Mostly, though, I'm pissed I waited 45 minutes for The Field to appear before learning they couldn't get in due to Visa problems and had been replaced by some absolute shit called CHAIRLIFT.

Posted by RomanHans | October 17, 2011 3:44 PM

That chick from Chairlift is hot but her music is pretty awful. Bummer.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 5:21 PM

To the kind soul who gave me a boost during the amazing performance of florence & the machine, I'd like to see the pictures your friend took of me clutching on your back likely crushing your chest
me 443.983.274, email would really make this not anonymous enough.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 7:21 PM

@721 You and your phone # are about to become a meme.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2011 8:57 PM

Someone works for chairlift and the rest of these shity bands and gets them these rad gigs. Creators of shitty projects. Oh well

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2011 12:52 PM

John Maus looks uncannily like the Youtube sensation Fred.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2011 1:29 PM

Anyone else sick of seeing this nigga's mug before the flap?

Posted by Anonymous | October 26, 2011 8:35 AM

I do not approve the "pant on the ground" fashion trend

Posted by Tent Pole | October 26, 2011 2:39 PM

Posted by forums | November 28, 2011 8:23 AM

I love how the setlist says "Padma Speaks" and then added in ink it says "and fucks up". Nice.

Posted by winnie the pooh quotes | December 15, 2011 4:14 AM

This would be great, but i'm sure Bad Brains will cancel and/or not show up, so i'm gonna take a pass!

Posted by toilet paper coupons | January 5, 2012 3:11 PM

Caroline Polachek = tres haut. I SO wanna cum in her ear.

Posted by Carles | January 14, 2012 3:39 PM

Posted by l],ki | January 18, 2012 1:41 PM

i have seen John Maus in Estonia and it was indeed a lot of jumping more rather than playing.. but you can't deny the drive he manages to put on stage and the audience simply poves his live show.!

Posted by autoflowering seeds | February 7, 2012 4:38 PM

I love REAL music like this, I hate the DJ stuff out there. Thanks for the great post along with the pics. Looks like a great concert.

Posted by Virtual Tour | February 20, 2012 4:03 PM

i loved it and am looking forward to next years festival.! Four Tet was amazing and i have danced my freaking ass off!!

Posted by white widow | March 5, 2012 1:07 PM

Is there going to be another edition next year at all? I would like to find out to make sure i get my tickets on time. If the line-up is going to be as good as this year, i don't want to miss it fir sure!

Posted by Zamnex | November 19, 2012 10:41 AM