Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on October 27, 2011

photos by Kurt Christensen

Smoke Fairies

Dawes headlined a sold out show at Webster Hall last night (10/27). Both Blitzen Trapper & Smoke Fairies opened the show which was part of a tour that lasts through mid November. Pictures from the NYC show are in this post, Halloween decorations included.

Dawes will return to the area by themselves to play three shows in December. First up is the annual WFUV Holiday Cheer show at Beacon Theater on December 5th with the massive lineup of Dawes, Mavis Staples and The Head And The Heart. That should sell out quick when tickets go on general sale Friday (10/28) at noon. Dawes will spend the next two days at the more intimate Maxwell's in Hoboken. Tickets are on sale now for December 6th and December 7th. Dawes play New Year's Eve in Minneapolis.

More pictures from Webster Hall below...

Dawes

Good show ruined by all the bros and banker douches.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2011 8:57 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2011 9:21 PM

Blitzen Trapper > Dawes

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2011 9:29 PM

Blitzen Trapper are amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2011 9:34 PM

good names

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2011 9:34 PM

Crowd sucked balls. Go to a bar if you want to catch up with friends a-holes.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2011 10:31 PM

saw Dawes open for Langhorne Slim at the bell house a few years ago. i dont get the hype

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2011 11:07 PM

"I can't believe how many a-holes were talking during the entire show. If you want to talk, please go somewhere else."

welcome to new york

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2011 11:08 PM

If you don't like talking, then you should move to a different spot where people are not talking... And as a weed smoker, if you don't like my herbal compounds drifting around your dome, then you should also move to a different spot. And if you got some decent weed and I walk past and I smell your herbal compounds, well then I will probably drift over to your spot and say hello and do a little dance.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 12:23 AM

Blitzen Trapper totally should have headlined. they blew Daves off the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 12:51 AM

Cannot agree more about assholes talking at shows. I like Blitzen Trapper and enjoyed their set, but Dawes were much much better.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 1:39 AM

Sounds like a very scary show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 2:46 AM

Wow, it looks like really spectacular and outrageous show. I wish I was there. Great pics!

Posted by Donna Vacation | October 28, 2011 4:44 AM

I am a big fan of both bands, but I think that Dawes is the clear headliner of the two. Much more dynamic on stage.

@11:07 I saw them a few years ago too, and they are a much much better live band now.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 7:25 AM

BT FTW. but the sound mix should have been better. and BT should have headlined.

dawes sounds like neil diamond and bruce springsteen made a band that is much worse than their component parts. i left after 30 min. (had never heard them before).

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 7:56 AM

So what i'm getting is:

show = cracker jack
crowd = clown shit

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 8:38 AM

Worse than Hitler!

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 9:44 AM

^ For once, I agree with that one.

Why does the WH banner come off as something like Santa's reindeer performing a show or some shit?

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 10:49 AM

Dawes was great as usual. Peace In The Valley, Take Me Out of the City and Fire Away were sick. Awesome cover of Kodachrome too.

Posted by Tremags | October 28, 2011 11:04 AM

Actually, for me, there were a lot of talkers (and mobile phone users) during Blitzen Trapper, and we were pretty close to the front. I also felt that the sound was not very good for Blitzen Trapper but they played well and was able to enjoy it. It seemed like the vocals and the mids were low in the mix. Because of the talkers and phone users I made sure to move to the other side of the venue for Dawes. I thought the arc of Dawes set was great, the second half was amazing. And the location I was at for Dawes was full of great concert goers, a few too many cell phone video-takers, but people were great in that area. As for the rest of the venue, there were a lot of custy bankers who clearly were there to socialize and not enjoy the music, I feel like they left or their blackberry batteries died before the end of the show b/c by the end of the night the crowd was pretty good.

Two major complaints: $9 beers, come on. I usually sneak in booze to bigger venues in my lame attempt to stick it to the man, but next time I go to Webster I'm def. smuggling alcohol in. And cell phones, can someone invent a cell phone jammer?

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 11:33 AM

Webster Hall's alcohol prices are ridiculously inflated. I never purchase drinks there on principle.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 1:05 PM

is that tyson chandler at the dawes show?

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 3:00 PM

I think Gramercy is the worst offender as far as overpriced drinks are concerned.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 3:48 PM

In a few years these band will be forgotten.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 3:53 PM

"The lead singers of Dawes and Blitzen Trapper don't have the "it factor" to take them to the next level. The music is a bit cheesy as well.

In a few years these band will be forgotten."

FUCK YOU! (PS: That's a chop!)

Posted by Nathan | October 29, 2011 10:52 AM

looking at the pictures, trying to imagine what these bands sound like

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2011 1:38 PM