Posted in music on October 10, 2011

Dando car

The Lemonheads played their first of two full-album shows at Bowery Ballroom on Sunday night (10/9), sort of. Eric wrote in:

"I just hope you make it known that they FAILED to deliver tonight...after waiting for way too long, they did not perform Its a Shame About Ray...they just FAILED...I have lived in NYC since early 2001 and have gone to MANY MANY shows...and I have never been so completely disappointed and never felt so totally ripped off. Evan seemed like he didnt even care that they didn't perform the album as marketed. I went down to the men's room halfway thru their set and everyone downstairs was like, "WTF are they doing...this is total BS..." It was such a let down...even the merch girl was sorry about them NOT PLAYING THE ALBUM AT ALL...they played more of come on feel the...I don't know...I feel like my time and money got totally wasted..and I loved this band and that album...WTF...BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. I hope I am not the only one who felt this. "
He's not the only one who felt that. Benard Shakey tweeted that, "#Lemonheads show was total disaster. #EvanDando comes onstage rambling incoherently into mic & "attempts" 2 play. Walked out after 20 min." GiGi wrote "that was sad. like going to the zoo sad." That said, Shannon Lorraine tweeted that the "band finally joined evan. Most bizarre show ever. But still great." She also called "Bogus" on one person who wrote "This is your band. This is your band on drugs. Any questions? #lemonheads."

Missed out? They do it again tonight! (though it is currently sold out)

I figured there was a chance that Evan Dando would be disappointing. This went way beyond my expectations. Maybe if they had told us something within the first hour of when the set was supposed to start it would've helped. He finally played, then with more prodding, the band played a bit. His voice was shot. He tried, but still...It was crap. Terrible drummer by the way. I'm not sure they rehearsed more than a couple times. I'm expecting to get my money back. I talked to the guy at the door downstairs, who seemed pretty official. He said I could bring my ticket back to the Mercury Lounge for a refund.

Posted by Will | October 10, 2011 2:09 AM

Evan needs help, although I do think him performing as the lemonheads is just a quick way to make money for himself. But ive seen him 5 times since around 2008 and every show was kind of a mess. Every show consisted of a different band lineup unless it was an acoustic show which those were even more uncomfortable. Last maxwells show he played for exactly an hour and pointed it out to the crowd and walked off stage rambling sorry guys im just done mid song. It was if he was punched into work and his time was up. I love the lemonheads but I dont think id pay to see them/him again

Posted by BP 2000 | October 10, 2011 2:11 AM

Show some respect. This is the guy who wrote great hits such as "Mrs Robinson"

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:15 AM

Evan Dildo sucks, always did suck and always will suck. Those of you who paid cash money to see this shithead got every thing you deserved. The only good thing ever associated with him was Juliana Hatfield.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:16 AM

They always sucked, so one can only imagine just how bad they had to be to disappoint the silly people who actually liked them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:18 AM

right on 2:18...with love 2:16.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:21 AM

It was by far the worst show i've EVER been to in my life!

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 3:35 AM

would have rather watched evanesence

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 4:11 AM

the only thing worse than the lemonheads was the shining twins...what a shitty band

Posted by anonymous | October 10, 2011 6:02 AM

I saw them at Bowery a few years ago and they did Shame About Ray and it was amazing...brought me right back. This time it was sad, very sad. I couldn't stay past a couple attempts at singing/playing. Apparently the club wanted him to cancel but he insisted on seeing the audience To say "let me show you how I can't play" before his first song. He's either that arrogant, high, strapped for cash or all three to try and play a show. Refund.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 7:16 AM

This is just depressing. No need to make fun, sounds like he's back on the horse.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 7:32 AM

I was last night at the Bowery and it was a JOKE. Didn't play It's A Shame About Ray, he got everybody waiting for 2 HOURS, he didn't care at all about the show, he was all the show laughing with a bunch of friends that were on a side of the stage... I WILL NEVER PAY AGAIN TO SEE THIS GUY. If he needs help I'm sorry for him, but he got all our money and didn't do what we payed him for.

Posted by Jose | October 10, 2011 7:36 AM

Evan is playing ows this afternoon 3:00. Snacks will be provided. RSVP for confirm availability.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 7:53 AM

this doesn't seem so bad...and its a song from the record in question.. I have no doubt that Evan could have been wasted and blew the show but people seem into on this video... was this an isolated moment?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 8:13 AM

I am not a Evanescence but I have seen them live and they were excellent.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 8:25 AM

I am not a Evanescence fan but I have seen them live and they were excellent.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 8:25 AM

What a sad life - to have talent, looks, and success and to blow it all because you can't fill the hole with enough drugs and nihilism.

"There was a little city, and few men within it; and there came a great king against it, and besieged it, and built great bulwarks against it: now there was found in it a poor wise man, and he by his wisdom delivered the city; yet no man remembered that same poor man."

It's better to be wise and unknown than to have it all and be foolish.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 8:37 AM

It's a shame about Evan!

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 8:41 AM

CLARIFY: he did not make us wait for 2 hours! It was one hour. He came out said he was sick and his voice was shot. He played alone for about 20 minutes, after much cheering he came back with the band and played--sounded great. Not his best! But they played it!! Plus they did play songs from "it's a shame about ray"

The good performances were NOT an isolated incident!

Posted by Shannon Lorraine | October 10, 2011 8:45 AM

Of course he was somewhat wasted, but seriously this is nonsense.

Posted by Shannon lorraine | October 10, 2011 8:48 AM

I saw him about a year ago at Maxwells. He didn't utter a word to the crowd and didn't seem like he wanted to be there, but he played all the songs you'd wanna hear all the way through at least.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 8:49 AM

Regarding the video, and the show, I was there, here's what happened.
When Evan played with the full band, they were actually pretty good, but unfortunately that was only about 6 or 7 short songs.
We did have to wait a full hour after opening band. And there was no good reason - the stage was all set up, guitars tuned, etc. People started speculating that maybe Evan was a no show, or that he was passed out. At around the hour mark, a few people started boo-ing rather than cheering, and that must have done something. A girl from the opening band peeked on stage and made hand signals
to please stop boo-ing and to cheer instead (it was like charades trying to figure that one out). It was at this point, I realized he was actually back there and needed encouragement to come on stage.
The resurgence in cheering did it, and he came out finally, alone. He came to the mike, pointed at his throat and said, in a really Crosby voice, that he was sorry but he couldn't sing. The crowd begged for one song, so he put on his guitar and played "Being Around". I'm not a doctor, but he looked super high. Eyes seemed to be rolling back in his head , and looked like he was nodding out. Amazingly though (and this is true for most of the show), he got every chord and lyric right.
After the song the crowd cheered, and it encouraged him, so he played one more song (I think it was Outdoor Type), then he said sorry and walked off stage. This was a theme for the rest of the night - a few songs, then he'd try to walk off, at which point his friends would coax him into coming back. The band eventually joined him , and they sounded good, but I felt sorry for them, they were obviously frustrated each time he would put down his guitar and walk off.
There was no Shame About Ray album as advertised, just cuts from it.

Posted by Ted | October 10, 2011 8:53 AM

No grown man should need to be coaxed by friends and cheering to do his job. If I needed that to go to work in the morning, I'd be unemployed right quick, and I don't have a job that is as fun and engaging as playing music that I wrote. Wake the fuck up Evan - we're not your mommy and you're not a little boy anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 8:59 AM

Wahhhhhhhh

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 9:11 AM

^Thanks Snookie

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 9:16 AM

If the shows are gonna be this bad they need to cancel and reschedule when Evan gets it together.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 9:18 AM

hey I have a pair I need to sell (seriously) if anyone in interested in seeing this show. Only problem is I'm in jersey for a work thing but will be happy to get you the tickets by whatever method makes sense.

Posted by ciaoluna | October 10, 2011 9:19 AM

Oh. What a surprise.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 9:21 AM

i saw him in 2009 at bowery...bought a pair of tickets for $15 from some lady who thought she could scalp them.

the band sounded great. the crowd was a bunch of fatties though.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 9:38 AM

wow, this actually makes me wanna go see the show tonight. had no intention of going, but i seriously have a soft spot for live trainwrecks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 9:56 AM

4:11: Whoa, whoa. I wouldn't go that far.

8:41: Yep.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 9:58 AM

They played about half the album, plus a bunch of other good songs I wasn't expecting to hear. And it was the longest set I've seen in quite awhile. Evan's voice sounded great, even though he couldn't hit the high notes (or at least didn't try). I'm happy. Best wishes to Evan on his recovery.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:19 AM

So who's gonna go to the show tonight?

Even Axl wouldn't pull something like this.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:24 AM

This guy is a jerk!

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:25 AM

8:59 AM "No grown man should need to be coaxed by friends and cheering to do his job. If I needed that to go to work in the morning, I'd be unemployed right quick"

Right, but if your job depended on something that was injured, you'd also probably get sick time off with salary. Musicians don't. I care all that much about Evan Dando or what his situation was this night, but as a general point, when a singer's voice is shot, he or she has to take care of it so that they can CONTINUE do their job.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:31 AM

what a dumb ass. trying to still 'sell' these shitty 20 year old songs that sucked then and suck even more now.

and i'm pretty sure he has been wearing the same heroin puked clothes for 20 years. loser.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:32 AM

8:13 AM

The Heckle at 2:03 is incredible..

Evan: "I love my drug busy..."
Guy in the Crowd: "I BET YOU DO!"

Posted by Dubin | October 10, 2011 10:32 AM

Don't eat the brown hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:46 AM

I think Adele and Evan Dando should tour together on a tour sponsored by Cloraseptic. And Heineken

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:49 AM

Cocaine and alcohol are not the best way to take care of your voice. There's no excuse other than that he was really really really high. Plain and simple whether it made for good enough show for you or not. It's not like he just had a cold or something. When he came out and slurred "we have to cancel" it was barely english. He happens to be talented enough to play some chords and sing decently in that state, but he's not talented enough to be that high and pull off the album they advertised. Next time they should bill it as "Evan Dando of the Lemondheads" so you can expect to just get whatever you get. Waiting for the refund promised at the venue...

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:55 AM

I'm a lawyer and make 140k a year. If I needed coaxing to come to work I would only make about 80k a year.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 11:07 AM

@Ted: recap is spot on--some extra notes:

- They were scheduled to go on at 10pm

- Evan, only Evan, took the stage just before 11pm

- Mumbled nonsense and dicked around by playing some non-Ray tracks as well as the Great Big No

- After an hour on stage and the band finally joining him, he played In the Kitchen, Bit Part and My Drug Buddy.

- He said something about having or feeling like he's toured this record for 4 years which basically meant he didn't care what we came to hear and just played whatever he wanted

- Walked off stage frequently and practically made fans beg/cheer for him to return

- I left at midnight as he had only played 3 Ray tracks in the time it takes to almost play the record twice in its entirety.

- WORST. GIG. EVER.

Posted by Derek | October 10, 2011 11:08 AM

Tonight's show is canceled. Bowery has started emailing ticket holders.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 11:27 AM

11:07, 140K is well below market for a 1st year associate at any decent Manhattan firm. Do you practice law in Ohio?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 11:35 AM

It's not cancelled

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 11:45 AM

It is, and there is only one "l" in canceled.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 11:51 AM

They are still selling day of show tickets on tm so it doesn't seemed to be canceled.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 11:53 AM

You've gotta give Evan credit for staying high for 20+ years and still managing to find his way to get on the Fung Wha to NYC. When I spike up I can't even make it out of my Cambridge bedroom!

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 11:59 AM

I want proof that it's canceled.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:02 PM

Not kancelllled

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:04 PM

Well, well, well. I hope all you Billyburger-eating-fools are happy you've ruined another great '80s act.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:09 PM

11:27 was either terribly mistaken or just another one of those BV douches who likes to amuse themselves by trying to trick people into believing anything some anonymous doof posts.

In other words, never believe something is cancelled or sold out from a BV comment. Always ask for or try to find a link/source.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:11 PM

11:07 Who cares

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:33 PM

My favorite part was the Mosh Pit filled with 40 year old bald guys that erupted during the last song.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:36 PM

s p i n
d o c t o r s
will not let you down

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:43 PM

the show tonight IS cancelled.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:46 PM

Gibby was the best of the night

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:51 PM

It's a sold out show...doubt they will cancel.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 12:53 PM

This show was awesome. what did you expect from Dando?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 1:06 PM

I love how there is one hipster idiot that goes on every thread and inserts "Billyburger" somewhere into his comment.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 1:15 PM

100 % not canceled

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 1:26 PM

you people need better taste in music

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 1:32 PM

To Shannon Lorraine, who keeps posting here and on Twitter that the band performances were great, you really need to give it up.

The show was billed as The Lemonheads playing IASAR in it's entirety. That's what it was marketed as, and that's why people bought tickets. Dando failed to come thru on what was promised and that is wrong no matter how you slice it.

I'm opting not to comment further on this, because it's clear Dando clearly has some issues going on. But to claim as if this was just a performer who was off his game for an evening is clearly irresponsible on anyone's part. The same thing that happened last night at the Bowery happened last week in both Nashville and Atlanta, as well. Look it up, if you're so inclined.

Posted by Bernard Shakey | October 10, 2011 1:37 PM

I Seriously have no idea why anyone ever liked this band, let alone that anyone liked them enough to be nostalgic 20 years later.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 1:45 PM

'Hate Your Friends' is the only decent record they even did.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 1:51 PM

HOW can we get a refund?? Anyone know??

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:03 PM

^it was $25 or so...chalk it up to a bad show and learn from your misteak

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:06 PM

IASAR is a certifiable power pop classic, and one of the iconic albums of the first half of the 90s. It's a shame that Even has not aged as well as the music has.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:09 PM

misteak

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:17 PM

"IASAR is a certifiable power pop classic, and one of the iconic albums of the first half of the 90s."

Nigga please.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:17 PM

2:17..blah I had lunch on my mind...Mistake...you get it

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:22 PM

"Well, guess that it beats dressing up like a chicken and waving at the cars as they go by."

Trust me, it doesn't. Dressing up like a chicken and doing that is way more dignified.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 2:24 PM

Posted by abc | October 10, 2011 3:01 PM

Did they play 'Into Your Arms'? I heart that song.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 3:13 PM

Even a bad lawyer should be pulling in 350K in this city. 140K would barely take care of my yearly car payments

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 3:16 PM

^lulz 140k in car payments. cool story bro

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 3:22 PM

What do lawyer salaries have to do with a Lemonheads thread? Many lawyers and other workers are happy to have jobs in this economy, let alone joke about about who has a higher six figure income. Grow up.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 3:27 PM

I love the black people!

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 3:31 PM

Lawyers like hummus too bro.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 3:42 PM

I emailed the Bowery about a refund and this is the response I got - ‎I'm sorry to hear your frustration with the Lemonheads and the performance from last night.Unfortunately at this point we can not issue refunds for this show. We book the bands for the venues and unfortunately had no control over the bands actions on the night of the show. I understand your disappointment with the band and I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. We hope that you return to our venue again for a better experience.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 3:42 PM

The Bowery understands your frustration. Too bad for you that yyou didn't foresee this happening. Maybe next time you'll be wiser.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 3:52 PM

"To make people wait over an hour, on top of having to listen to that absolutely god awful act that went on before them, only to listen to incoherent rambling and half-assed performances is not only unprofessional, but sad - in the sense that Dando doesn't have enough self-dignity to not put himself in such a ridiculous and pitiful situation."

Couldn't agree more--on top of the pathetic excuse for a show he insults us more with that awful opening band the shining twins...like a 1-2 fuck you from dando

Posted by ben | October 10, 2011 4:01 PM

I guess the well paid lawyers shouldn't worry about not getting a refund.

Posted by Rhone | October 10, 2011 4:18 PM

Evan was so fucked up that even my dick went limp ... and that don't happen too often
Get well soon, Evan

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 4:21 PM

3:16 makes $37k and works at Starbucks (he's ASSISTANT manager, ya know)

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 4:27 PM

Why block B_R_O_O_K_L_N___B_O_W_L????

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 4:28 PM

go yelp about it you morons. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM THE LEMONHEADS? If it was flawless, you wouldn't have something to bitch about today (except for maybe not having to go to work, and the awful, warm sunshine). See if you can fit your head into your ass, and then put it there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 4:28 PM

what i DON'T expect from the lemonheads -- shitty, uninspired music at a high price

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 4:32 PM

but they've been doing that forever

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 4:34 PM

4:28 Thank you -- seconded

I'm glad I missed the show not for Dando's perceived shortcomings but rather to avoid all of these ridiculous people who must have been there and are worried about a refund for a concert they weren't thrilled about. (Should I do that for every theater event, movie or other performance which isn't as great as I expected -- that would be more often than not.) No wonder the performance was "uninspired".

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 4:38 PM

Didn't go, but I'm tired of all the X plays Y album shows.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 5:45 PM

I AM THE LORD, YOUR GOD.
THIS SHOW SUCKED DONKEY BALLS.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 5:57 PM

please who are the Lemonhead fans? are there any? really?
hard to believe there were any even 20 years ago. this Dando fellow should have hung it up and got a real job years ago.
or at least capitalize on his habit: set up shop selling smack

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 6:49 PM

I got this from Bowery Ballroom:

" ‎I'm sorry to hear your frustration with the Lemonheads and the performance from last night. Unfortunately at this point we can not issue refunds for this show. We realized we booked a complete douche bag loser of a band, but we book shitty acts from time to time. We really don't understand why such a crap act would still be touring, but we just book the place- we dont tell you waht kind of music is 'good' or what you should go see. I understand your disappointment with the band and I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. We hope that you return to our venue again for a better experience and for more overpriced drinks."

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 6:53 PM

Again: I was there last night and I feel I wasted my $$ and got a sad/pathetic image of a guy I admire. Believe me: good for you if tonight show is cancelled, you are not missing anything.

Posted by Jose | October 10, 2011 6:54 PM

Wow. I was never a Lemonheads fan, but I know Dando's had his substance abuse problems, and I hope that wasn't the case here.

I'm actually glad that he played what he felt like playing. I am sick to death of bands/artists playing their albums straight through for crowds of overpaid yuppies who no longer buy albums, and demand artists cater to their whims in order to give up their cash.

Doesn't this whole thing just seem like some absurd version of the whole frat party/cover band scene these audiences came from?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 8:56 PM

Anyone else here now at bowery and wondering if tonight will be different?

Posted by Heather | October 10, 2011 9:26 PM

^ You were warned...

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:01 PM

Ben and Bernard - completely agree. He was so tweaked it was irresponsible of the audience to encourage that behavior. We couldn't take it anymore and left. As for his "friends" encouraging him to stay onstage, they should be ashamed of themselves. To enable such behavior is cruel - with "friends" like that Evan doesn't need enemies.

And to Shannon Lorraine, Let's just call a spade a spade. He was high, the show and songs sucked (at least what he could remember of them) and the entire thing was a disaster. I was proud of his band - they didn't partake at first. We left when they caved and joined him on stage.

So sad.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 10:55 PM

hey 8:56

that is how it works. people pay for what hey want. wake up.

if i go to a restaurant and get a dish i like and i want it again and i pay for it again- i should get it again.

sorry - it was sold that way. THEY SOLD IT THAT WAY.
do you get it?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 11:56 PM

11:56, yep I get it: you're a spoiled yuppie brat. I'm glad the Lemonheads ripped you off.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 12:22 AM

"THEY SOLD IT THAT WAY."

I'm appalled for you. I'd be pissed off as all hell if went to see them after they advertised that they were gonna play some of their stale Vh-1 instant classics and instead they just played with their dicks onstage. Counting Crows better not ever do that.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 12:44 AM

LeMEHnheads

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 1:02 AM

What other artists do you guys remember seeing in similar situations at shows -- incoherent, rambling, not finishing songs, even lashing out at audience members, throwing people out of the venue, threatening each other on stage and so on. I read the L'heads did the same thing as last night in N'ville and ATL, so I'm curious if there are other bands in recent years who fuck up actual tours like this, and probably have to give refunds and stuff. Has there been a train of late? Or may it happened more in the Oasis era..thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 1:03 AM

what are you writing a book?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 9:16 AM

My ticket was $22, and the show Monday was a bit disjointed, but overall very good. Sorry Trolls.

What time is it?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 10:01 AM

what the fuck did you expect!

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 10:03 AM

i was at a show at tramps (a nyc venue in the nineties) with my girlfriend at the time. it was either guided by voices or superchunk. i got up to get us beers and nearly as soon as i get up who sits down right next to my girlfriend and starts hitting on her IN HIS FUCKING PAJAMAS? evan dando. he was in his *pajamas.* she blew him off (she was 17 at the time.) but i always resented him for hitting on someone that was clearly on a date. SO I GUESS I GET THE LAST LAUGH EVAN! AAHAHAHAAAAA. enjoy your smack, loser.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 10:31 AM

any other reports from Monday? Did the band do the entire album as planned and as advertised???? or was it the same silliness as Sunday night?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 10:53 AM

anyone? anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 12:07 PM

I heard it was great. No wait I heard that it sucked.
Eh, don't listen to me. I'm just hitting keys on my mom's computer waiting until my dealer comes over.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 12:33 PM

i was prepared for the worst, but thought last night was really great. played the album in order and then practically a full set of other songs (inc Frying Pan, and lots from "come on feel"). he was completely incoherent btw songs but overall fun show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 12:39 PM

They were never very good. Sometimes history fucks up and bands like this get famous.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 12:47 PM

Evan Dando is a complete idiot. Cashing in on his previous stint as a musician, and he can't even get that right now.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 1:27 PM

Dando is not interesting enough as a persona to act this screwed up on stage, and has not earned his 'crazy stripes'.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 1:28 PM

I went to both shows. While the Sunday show started late and he didnt play the full Ray album, he did play for over an hour and most people were satisfied. Yes, four or five people tweeted they were pissed, but most fans i talked to were happy.

The Monday show was much better and Evan seemed to be trying to make up for the previous night. He played for over two hours. Did the entire Ray album, then an acoustic set, then another set with the band, mostly requests from the audience. It was a fantastic show.

Posted by Brian | October 11, 2011 1:47 PM

dandophobia haunts indie rock.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 2:07 PM

I went to the Monday show. It was a full show.... band, then acoustic then band again. Certainly the set was in terms of length and song selection a standard show that you would expect from a band, but Dando seemed really messed up. His fidgeting and talking between songs and sometimes during songs led me to believe that he was taking drugs right before he went on and probably would be right after he got off the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 2:12 PM

so the people that paid $25 on Monday night got the full album as advertised and in addition got a longer 'normal' set, and the people that went on Sunday and paid the exact same amount for the same advertised show got much less and didn't get what they came for or what was advertised?

The Sunday people should get a refund just by comparison to Monday alone.

As if the Sunday experience was bad enough, to have the Monday show be performed as advertised just adds insult to injury for the Sunday folks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 2:16 PM

Monday's 'sold out' show was half empty by the time the band was wrapping up their last song.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 2:17 PM

^maybe it was half full! Why do you have to be so negative!

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 2:42 PM

because when a show starts out full and then half of that audience leaves, then the remaining audience is half empty. Not half full.

If it started out with only half an audience then you could look at it either way. But if the band loses its audience and half leaves, then there is no other way to look at it but half empty at that point.

but thanks for being an optimist.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 2:56 PM

I paid $18 for a ticket, and I'm a recent law school grad who pulls in 186K a year

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 2:58 PM

I think anyone that thinks last night's show was good really had their expectations lowered by reports of the previous shows. I hadn't read anything about the tour, and I was thoroughly disappointed last night. He should be ashamed for taking money from people who have been loyal fans for 20 years and giving that type of performance in return. Watching a high school garage band cover the Lemonheads would have been better - they managed to take songs I've listened to thousands of times and make many of them unrecognizeable.

Evan spent most of his time on stage trying to tune his guitar (off the bat saying he had to tune his guitar that the tech just tuned), fiddling with his amp, his distortion, spilling his drink, talking off mic to people in the front row for minutes at a time. The bass would just cut out, with the bass player punching it to make it come back on until an opening band gave him a bass that was much, much too loud. The video in the background cut to iTunes on several occassions. When it wasn't on iTunes, Evan got distracted by the video on the screen, playing one chord for several minutes while staring at a scene of a car driving down a road. Having an audience member sing "Mrs. Robinson" was also a nice added touch of disappointment, with even the girl they chose to inaudibly sing the song giving Evan the "what the eff?" gesture when she realized he wasn't going to sing at all. Anything he said on stage was completely incoherent, the first song of the acoustic encore was also unintelligible, and I can't tell you anything after that because we were so disappointed that we just gave up and left.

That show was a straight up disaster, even if not as huge a disaster as previous shows. It honestly took an album that I've loved for almost 20 years and made me never want to listen to it again.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 3:17 PM

^This sounds accurate. I'm afraid there are some Dando apologists on here.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:12 PM

Hep C

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:32 PM

Don't worry Helmet tonight will wash away any bad memories of the weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:35 PM

I was at last night's show and it ruled a shitload. Sucks you guys didn't have fun.

Posted by Brian | October 11, 2011 4:43 PM

I didn't mind the actual show, but the crowd was the worst. I could barely hear the music over the constant chatter about how much lawyers in this city make.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:45 PM

maybe he'll do an 'i'm sorry' show at OWS.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:46 PM

'member when they covered mrs. robinson? 'twas totally tubular.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 5:01 PM

Such damn shame. I was so pumped to see him do the record. Evan is a talented dude, That's obvious, but I agree 100% that the Sunday show was garbage. Seriously not up to his actual talent level. He was just phoning it in. Seriously he should be ashamed. Cause that blew. And so did the Shining Twins (not even close to deserving to be there).

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 5:24 PM

he was just phoning it in on Monday also, just that Monday he actually finished the conversation.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 5:51 PM

First!

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 5:56 PM

Dando is a pathetic excuse even for a has been.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 6:23 PM

I was at the show last night and it was an unmitigated disaster. I honestly fear for the guy's life. I feel like I understand what people who saw Amy Winehouse's last show were talking about, because this seemed pretty close to it. Evan was completely incoherent, couldn't hit any of the higher notes on his songs and he looked like he was going to keel over at any second. HIs eyes were super glassy and you could tell he was SUPER fucked up on something (my guess would have been meth). I asked the merch guy if this is what his shows have been like and he apologized and admitted that, 'yeah, pretty much.' Glad I paid $25 to see this train wreck. Last time ever, though. I do hope he gets himself cleaned up and doesn't OD.

Posted by Sean B | October 11, 2011 7:29 PM

What's the over/under on Dando making it through the year alive?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 8:12 PM

Too bad so many people hated Monday night I, for one, loved it and loved that people left early so I could get up very close (thanks again for leaving early...). If he was "super fucked up" I hope more artist choose this disposition, play for over two hours, actually interact with the audience and try to have fun and not take themselves too seriously, now where are my thick tortoise glasses.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 9:14 PM

he hasn't earned the right to be that messed up on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 10:04 PM

@ 5:56 PM -
Nailed it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 11:14 PM

and still selling out most every night, where do you think that cash is going?

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 2:52 AM

It's a good thing you can't od on hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 6:43 AM

ha! To lose half your audience in a small venue mid way through a standard length set should tell you how bad you sucked

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 11:47 AM

Bunch of assholes! You guys take things too seriouly... come on! It was just a concert for having some fun and laugh!

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2011 10:22 AM

I don't get it. Eveything nowadays just suck. I mean, all of you, people, expect a really meticulous and perfect performance. Come on, man! When a band do a meticulous and perfect perfomance it is just one more concert for them. Just one more regular concert for the list of concerts they did. It will be completely forgotten in a couple of days. What about a Lemonheads concert like that one? I bet it'll never be forgotten. Shame on you, people. Concerts to take risks are not allowed anymore. That's why rock and roll sucks nowadays. It's sad. A rock and roll concert is all about being shocking, intimidating and frigthen. Do you like to some robots playing?! Shame on you!

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2011 11:26 AM

There is absolutely nothing shocking intimidating and frightening about someone who is so messed up on drugs and his own ego that he can't play a show properly.

At this point in his career and his life that's not rock n roll rebellion anymore it's just sad and pathetic.

No one here is complaining that the show wasn't polished, and no one here was asking for a 'meticulous and perfect performance'. What people were complaining about and had a right to expect for their money was at the very least a performance as advertised and at least the very basic of effort on the part of the performer.

When these things are not met, people have a right to complain.

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2011 11:51 AM

and he's too old and not famous enough to be acting this way.

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2011 11:52 AM

Evan plays like this since 20 years ago. You should know! It's all about some classics, some weird performance, some rock and roll, some craziness. Some people forget it's all about having fun, specially for the musicians. If a band come up on stage and play 90% of covers they would be killed. But, well, the Replacements did that more than 20 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2011 5:48 PM

the lemonheads really only had one good drummer - ben from squirrelbait.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2011 10:53 AM

I was a big Lemonheads fan in the 90s (bought Creator, Lovely, Hate your Friends..) so decided to ignore the rumours that Evan was a drug-f&*ked washed up bum cashing in on old songs to get another score - cause he cant write any good new ones...

So... I change travel details from Australia to swing by NYC to catch the show .. a as so eloquently recalled by the previous notes I'd like to add a comment
RE Johnny Rotten's ( Sex Pistols ) statement at their final ever gig :: asking the crowd ::
Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

... and then Sid Vicious died,... what a F&*king waste of talent!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2011 1:29 AM

VERY NICE THANKS

the lemonheads really only had one good drummer - ben from squirrelbait.

Posted by Dora | November 3, 2012 1:51 AM