Posted in music | tour dates on October 11, 2011

Carissa's Weird @ Neumo's in Seattle on 9/24 (by joshc)
Carissas Wierd

NYU Local reports:

Many believed [their 2003 breakup] was the end for Carissa's Wierd, but last year, the band got back together for a one-off reunion show in Seattle, and last month, they released a new single entitled Tucson. Now the band [played] their first non-Seattle gig in more than 8 years at Kimmel's E&L Auditorium this [past] Monday. For a very small group of people, this show is the equivalent of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's five-day stand in NYC last spring.

The Program Board's New Music Chair, Nicole Cobb, who was responsible for booking Carissa's Wierd, explained that she had been in touch with Jen Ghetto, one of the band's two vocalists, to try and book her new project S. "I asked about the possibility of getting Carissa's Wierd to play. I knew it was a long shot, but I had to ask. At first, she said that it probably wasn't possible, but this July, she let me know that it could be a possibility, and at that point, I did everything in my power to make this show happen."

To round out the bill, Cobb booked Kayo Dot and Arms & Sleepers. "I think they both bring interesting things to the show. Kayo Dot, similarly to Carissa's Wierd has a really strong underground following. Not a lot of people know their name, but those who know them tend to love them," she explained.

How was last night's Carissa's Wierd show? S plays Bruar Falls tonight (10/11).

A video from the above-pictured Seattle show below...

i cannot fucking believe this is a headline, news story, not even worthy of being a BV headline.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 3:55 PM

Who gives a fuuuuuuuuck?

Posted by Carlito | October 11, 2011 4:07 PM

Carissa's Wierd rules, haters vacate.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:09 PM

That show last night was incredible!

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:19 PM

Seriously...WHO CARES? Not a story, at all. Hope Ms Cobb didn't blow the budget on this.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:28 PM

How did you people find Kayo Dot?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:32 PM

Really? Carissa's Wierd are now on par with GYBE? Dear NYU Local, you need to do your homework. I used to live in Seattle when CW was around and playing local shows all the time. They were fun to see, but really, no way NEAR the level of musicianship nor as fucking epic as GYBE. In time, GYBE has only grown to be an even more ferocious live act even while taking time off, albeit the members have all been active in other projects. CW is fun and twee and pleasant, and that's it. OK? OK.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 4:50 PM

"fun twee and pleasant"

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 5:05 PM

fart

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 5:07 PM

Having never heard the band before last night's show I thought they had good songs, performed really well, and all of their songs kind of sounded the same. My favorite part was how they were able to use just light bulbs and christmas lights to make a really cool stage atmosphere.

Arms and Sleepers were really boring.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2011 6:13 PM

Good job, NYU program board, for booking a show absolutely no one on your campus gave a shit about. The crowd was MAYBE 100 people for Carissa's Wierd. Kayo Dot had about 25 people in attendance. And the best part -- more than half the kids there had their NYU program board "STAFF" shirts on. They booked a gig for each other and probably blew their whole budget in the process.

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 12:01 AM

I didn't really get Arms and Sleepers or Kayo Dot, although it just wasn't my thing. I thought Carissa's Wierd was great, although it was a totally strange venue. I'm still not exactly sure why they chose to play there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 12:29 AM

lol @ people who think Carissa's Wierd commanded the nyu program board's whole budget.

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 12:47 AM

Carissa's Wierd is absolutely worth a headline on BV. Fuck the haters.

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 2:08 AM

Show was fantastic. Fucking fantastic. Could care less how they got them to play there, how many people were there, or what the people who didnt go thought of the band. Show fucking ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 9:30 AM

"Kayo Dot, the band I came to see, were out of this world. There was absolutely no way to follow that performance of "On Limpid Form."

Damn, I kinda regret not going now. "On Limpid Form" is a helluva ominous track!

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 9:45 AM

thank god nyu pb did this, showing some gall

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 10:14 AM

I have Jen Ghetto's song "Falling" by S -- on my i-pod off a great compilation CD from 2005 Solid Pr presents. Always wondered who "S" were.

" * Falling

Various - Solid PR Presents: Vol. 1 - A Benefit For The National Ms Society. (2xCD, Comp)
OTR Records (2) 2005 "

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 2:28 PM

yeah so if anyone got or wrote down the setlist please share it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2011 5:51 PM