Posted in music | pictures on October 6, 2011

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

Chuck D on stage with Portishead @ ATP
Portishead

Portishead completed their NYC & NJ adventure with a 2nd show at Hammerstein Ballroom last night (10/5), and an appearance on Fallon where they performed two songs. On air they played "Chase The Tear" which they first released in 2009 to help raise money for Amnesty International. Jimmy pointed out that you can get a new release of that single exclusively at the XL Records table at the Brooklyn Flea Brooklyn Flea's Independent Label Market this weekend. They also played 1994 song "Mysterons" at Fallon as a web exclusive. And much to the chagrin of the groaning tourists who were trapped in their seats at the show's taping yesterday, the band actually played "Mysterons" in full twice because apparently something went wrong the first time around. You can watch the version they kept, and what aired on TV, below.

Also in this post is a set of pictures (including the setlist) from Portishead's Sunday set at ATP I'll Be Your Mirror in Asbury Park. As mentioned in the post of pictures from their Saturday show, Chuck D joined the band on stage during "Machine Gun" on Sunday. As not mentioned, Simeon from Silver Apples joined them on "We Carry On" to help close the show. Chuck D video HERE. Simeon video below.

Silver Apples plays Public Assembly in Brooklyn TONIGHT (10/6).

Portishead associate Anika plays Glasslands tonight.

Portishead's Adrian Utley visited Criterion Cinema while in town, and is involved in a show happening in NYC on 10/29.

ATP pictures & Fallon videos below...

Portishead: Chase The Tear on Fallon

Portishead: Mysterons on Fallon

Simeon playing with Portishead

New York crowds are the WORST. This band is the BEST!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:23 PM

Portishead really are the best band right now. Such an incredible live show. Third was such a badass record. 2011 Portishead better than 2011 Radiohead. Truth.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:33 PM

12:33 PM- Agree

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:35 PM

I can honestly agree with 12:23 and 12:33! Portishead sounds absolutely brilliant! New York crowds really are the WORST! Seriously, the worst! Portishead, the best show of the year!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:39 PM

12:35 PM - I second that!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:39 PM

Fav shows of 2011 (not in particular order)
1) Portishead at Convetion Hall
2) Godspeed at St. Paul
3) Sonic Youth at Waterfront
4) LCD at T5
5) Flying Lotus at LPR

Posted by Takk | October 6, 2011 12:41 PM

I'm so glad I caught them at Convetion Hall.....then seeing the crowd last night. What a difference.

Enjoy the freaking show and stop taping/taking pics with your stupid phone. I felt like I was at Apple Convetional learning how to shoot pics with your phone at shows.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:47 PM

12:41 I don't think that I've ever met a bigger hipster than you. Congrats - here's your lunch bag of hot dog shit! Now go back to Iowa and pick up that village idiot gig where you left off mkay?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:55 PM

yeah it was very funny watching from the first balcony. A familiar song would come on followed by a wave of light from cameras being turned on. From my vantage point it looked like they were packed like sardines in that GA area. I was glad I wasn't down there bc I probably would have walked out. GA seating in the balcony was cool. A couple of loudmouth gobs but they got shut down pretty quick.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:56 PM

i was up front and there was no problem with the "crowd"... lots of cheering and good will for the band, beth jumped off stage to shake hands with fans for cripe sakes...

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:59 PM

That left portion of crowd all had digital cameras up in the air. I don't think you could say that was happening back when Portishead played shows in the 90's.

And I think this is the most collective of an agreement we've had so far on a comment section here (yeah, I agree with all of yous as well). Let's see how long it lasts!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:02 PM

thanks BV. I only went to Night 2 because of your post yesterday and all the people here who raved about how great Night 1 was. It was worth the trouble and expense to get a ticket for Night 2, because they were incredible, especially "Threads" and "We Carry On" at the end.

people waving cameraphones are just stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:03 PM

12:55, what were your fav shows on the year? PJ20? Dan Deacon?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:04 PM

"...especially "Threads" and "We Carry On" at the end."

Same encore as second night of ATP. Can we all agree that there will be no better encore by ANY band in the forseeable future?? I hate using the word epic, but seriously, what an epically amazing way the end an otherwise incredible show!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:14 PM

and ROADS!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:16 PM

Geoff Barrow - the greatest DJ that ever lived.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:22 PM

hahahah @ 1255pm cause hipsters love sonic youth, flying lotus and godspeed.

dumbass

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:36 PM

Live version of "We Carry On" is sooo good. They've ended with it both nights at ATP and Hammerstein.

Bands/venues need to start implementing a no camera/cell phone policy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:36 PM

ATP crowd > Hammerstein crowd

Holy shit last night was terrible with all stupid cell phones up in the air.

On the other hand, Portishead was amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:38 PM

1:36, you poor little lamb, if that's what you got from that then you just go on believing what you want. who am I to point out the obvious, that you are too stupid to see right in front of your face?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:43 PM

was anyone sitting in the balcony last night and see/hear that crazy girl in the pink shirt? She was fucking nuts.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:43 PM

( shhh ... you didn't hear it from me, but ... hipsters? ... they love Portishead .... yeah, I know, hilarious, right?!? )

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:45 PM

12:41 & 12:55 should pussy it out. we haven't had a good one in months! I'm guessing neither of them have dates for the next few years, so we should be able to work out a time for them to meet.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:50 PM

@1:42 I heard that shit. Way to be an asshole during the stripped down version of Wandering Stars. Who does that at a Portishead show?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:54 PM

They actually did Mysterons FOUR times for Fallon (1 complete awesome take, then two false starts where they got about halfway through, then another just as good.)

And just to restate. The concert was amazing but the crowd sucked. We were packed too tight. AND that bitch next to me shouldn't jab her elbows into my ribs and then yell at me because there isn't enough space for her to check facebook during the show.

Fully support the camera/cell phone ban.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:00 PM

That guy was right next to me. He forced his way up drunkenly with his girlfriend and then barely shut up

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:01 PM

142 and 154 what was she doing.....i want to know!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:01 PM

I'm not sure what about the crowd annoyed me more - The "know-it-all" guy behind me that kept on announcing which song was next (and was wrong half of the time) and his two female friends that horribly "sang" along OR the tall douchebag that insisted on wearing his knit hat 6 more inches above his head so that no one behind him could see.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:02 PM

1255 and 143 = same idiot who wishes he had enough $$$ to see Portishead instead spent $$$ for his gf.

If you're so cool, we'd like to know your top 5 shows. Guarantee you won't list them you cry baby!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:04 PM

why would you say silver apples was not mentioned? i had mentioned that to you in your chuck d. post

Posted by ME | October 6, 2011 2:04 PM

I was sooooo lucky to snare reserved seating in the front row of the 1st mezz. I had an unobstructed view of what might have been the best show I've seen this year (sorry Polly Jean and James Murphy, but Beth/Geoff just dethroned you.)

The unbelievably excessive use of camera phones in the GA audience was laughable.

Posted by Dan | October 6, 2011 2:06 PM

I was at the Fallon show taping.  Portishead was fucking terrible in that environment. It was hilarious. They kept screwing up and restarting songs. The audience was practically booing them. It really shows you how this precious little band is only enjoyed by a few misguided dingalings.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:10 PM

1:43(2)/1:54/2:01: I think I was next to that girl the night before too. She looked kinda gothy with piercings and she had her numbskull boyfriend (?) there.

During Wandering Star was especially annoying because they didn't realize it would be just acoustic and they thought the song was going to go full out.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:11 PM

hammerstein show last night was way way beteer then both atp shows.
the full room and the excited crowd gave the band a greater energy and the vibe felt much better.
but most importantly, the sound last night was so much better than at asbury park!
and that's my main complaint with this year's atp, compromising the sound for the first time in oprder to save on expenses but ending up paying for tons of security, other kinda staff plus city and state cops doing their overtime paychecks.
we never saw a cop in catskills and the sound over there was a state of the art!

Posted by ME | October 6, 2011 2:11 PM

"Bands/venues need to start implementing a no camera/cell phone policy."

YES YES YES!!!! One of the many reasons why the radiohead show last week was ruind for me.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:12 PM

"Bands/venues need to start implementing a no camera/cell phone policy."

Can we start a rogue group to implement that policy ourselves. People would think twice about pulling out their phone if ther ewas a trend of smashing them. Jussayin'

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:15 PM

"Bands/venues need to start implementing a no camera/cell phone policy."

Totally agree 1000%

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:15 PM

The cameras were aweful last night. Other than that, fantastic.

Posted by KyleHL | October 6, 2011 2:51 PM

I've lived in New York all my life and seen a ton of shows here. Last nights Portishead crowd was one of the worst ever.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:59 PM

Get there early like I did and get up front, only had one phone in front of me with any regularity. I took a few pics, but was respectful to those around me. The show was absolutely amazing. With no exaggeration, her voice was breathtaking.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:00 PM

the crowd last night was pretty bad.
a bunch of uptight people because people were in their 'personal space' and annoyed because their purse was getting stepped on while holding their phone overhead to shoot video.

the sound wasn't that good last night compared to ATP. There were some feedback issues last night and things were clipping more than at ATP, though I wish that the ATP volume had been a bit louder.

Posted by sexy time frankenstein | October 6, 2011 3:01 PM

where's the dj? that's a pretty important part of this band's music. and if you want a bad crowd you should have seen them at hammerstein 12 years ago when everyone talked the whole time.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:05 PM

The jury hath spoken....

- ATP ruled!

- NYC crowds SUCK!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:06 PM

@3:05: DJ (Geoff Barrow) was center stage doing percussion and DJing but I didn't see him in the Jimmy Fallon videos.

Posted by sexy time frankenstein | October 6, 2011 3:07 PM

say what you will about ATP security, it was the first time I've seen security in front of the barricades actually acnowledging the music. during Public Enemy the security cards were bouncing their heads with big smiles on their faces. when have you even seen that happen??? they usually stand there like statues.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:07 PM

ATP > NYC

Is there really any debate about this??

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:14 PM

at least the security at Hammerstein wasn't busting people for smoking pot!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:16 PM

i think LA crowds can give NYC a run for their money on shitheadiness.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:17 PM

ATP = BEST music event of the year!!!

So funny to think about the anonymous a-hole commenters who said that ATP would suck and "worst lineup ever". Hope you like the taste of egg, because it's all over your stupid faces!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:18 PM

3:16 - Worse sound, worse crowd...weakest statement to defend your point. Oh yeah, WTF was your point anyway?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:29 PM

The crowd was shite last night! On a different note, never realized so many lesbos are into Portishead, but I guess it makes sense ...(Glory Box)...

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:29 PM

The shit is fuckin' ridiculous.

Posted by Kanye | October 6, 2011 3:30 PM

I don't know that the crowd was the "worst", but I did sense pretty clearly a hostile and uptight vibe (as I figured it would be for Portishead, unfortunately).

The guy in front of me on the line to the show almost got into a fight with one of the security guards (the asian one) because he was already searched by another one before and the asian guard insisted on searching him anyway.

I saw one of those business-types on the balcony try to give security inside a hard time, but they were having none of it. You could tell he was one of those spoiled look-down-on-anybody-below-my-salary types of stuck up who wine/whine it up too.

All that tomfoolery aside I enjoyed the show. So glad to see them as you never know whether or not they'll be back here again.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:31 PM

Greg Gillis is way more talented than everyone in Portishead and a much better live act to boot.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:47 PM

^ now that is funny.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:58 PM

@3:47 back to BV's regularly scheduled programming.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:59 PM

3:47 - wrong and wrong. next please

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 4:24 PM

2:11 how much drugs were you on last nite. The sound was much better at ATP. Secondly, at ATP you could walk around and dance and actually get close anytime you wanted too. Last nite was elbows, feet and beer spills all nite. Let alone twice as many cell phones blocking the way.

In regards to the security busting people for smoking pot. You should have stepped outside the venue and walked about half a block away, no problems smoking at all did it all weekend. ;p

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 4:32 PM

3:47 is greg gillis

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 4:38 PM

my friend has a pic from when we saw night 1 of Portishead. she was in the balcony and all you see is a wave of cellphones. -________- fuckin ppl put down the cellphone. im gunna start pimp smackin the phones outta there hands

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 4:58 PM

I'm sure 3:47 was just trying to get a rise out of people in a joking manner. And you people fell for it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 5:00 PM

ATP had so much room Sunday a girl was Using a hoolahoop

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 5:55 PM

Which Hammerstein show was better?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 5:58 PM

I think Hammerstein night 3 was better... But all 4 shows were absolutely incredible.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 7:45 PM

What's a greg gillis?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 7:56 PM

I agree the cameras were obnoxious but at least the show was documented - I mean surely a lot of that turned up on youtube so people all around the world can see it. That's not terrible is it? As long as people don't talk through the tunes I don't mind the cameras

Posted by Ben | October 6, 2011 8:57 PM

Who cares about documenting a show. Either you were there or you weren't. Pretty easy concept.

Does anyone know the name of the animator that did the animation during "The Rip". Great song, great video.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 10:28 PM

The rip has turned into my favorite portishead song. Yeah. It is an amazing video!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 10:33 PM

so first you worthless hipsters dont want me to talk at a show. now i cant take a picture. what exactly am i allowed to do then?

fuck it, im taking pictures. If you see me at a show i dare you to do something about it

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2011 4:48 PM

448pm shut the fuck up hipster. when you go to fuckin show, you enjoy the music. when you're talking to your trust fund friends during the show, you're disrespecting the artist and the fans who paid money to see the show. real fans actually pay attention to the fuckin music and not chit chat or take pics with their phones.

go to fuckin bar if you want to mingle with your fellow buddies. fuckin bafoon!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2011 5:08 PM