Posted in music | pictures on October 5, 2011

photos by Erez Avissar

"Seriously that was one off the bucket list right there." - Ben Ha-Meen

"portishead stands as the best show ive ever seen " - bryce segall

"Best show I've been to in a very long time." - Chris Denman

"Oh man, Portishead was freaking ridiculous tonight. Holy shit. That is some baby making, ecstacy popping shit right there." - Notorious K.I.M.

"Portishead was a religious experience #portishead" - Chelse D

"Portishead killed me. I cried like an idiot. An unforgettable performance..." - Marine

Portishead

"On our last tour it collapsed because of personal things, not between the band, but relationships, divorces," Geoff Barrow told BBC 6 Music news.

"We hadn't stopped since [debut album] Dummy," he said, "but it's fine now."

However, producer and instrumentalist Barrow admitted the band's complex, claustrophobic sound often proved a headache to recreate live.

"We have to take out lots of old gear and it's like a jigsaw puzzle, trying to get the right sound," he said.

"It's not like we are pushing 'go' on a computer and singing along to it. It's something a bit more interesting than just straight up rock bands or dance acts."

Portishead achieved overnight success with Dummy, which won the Mercury Music Prize in 1995 with its eerie electronic soundscapes, haunted by Beth Gibbons tremulous vocals.

They followed it up with a grainier, self-titled album in 1997, featuring the top 10 hit All Mine - later covered by Tom Jones.

But the band appeared to split up in the wake of their 1998 US tour, releasing several side projects and producing music for other bands.

However, after making a return to the Portishead name in 2008, they recently confirmed they would start work on a fourth album in January 2012.[BBC]

After two shows at ATP in Asbury Park, Portishead finally made their official return to NYC at Hammerstein Ballroom last night (10/4). Here are some pictures from the amazing show which was their first of two in Manhattan.

The setlists so far have varied by like one song each night. Their 90-minute, 15-song Hammerstein performance began at 9:30pm after a set by their tour-mate Thought Forms. They do it again tonight which is also when they appear on Fallon. Here are some pictures from the first night.

More pictures and the setlist from last night below...

Portishead Concert Setlist at Hammerstein Ballroom

Chase The Tear
Cowboys
Threads

Encore:
Roads
We Carry On

"i'm a cheap asshole and didn't go to the far superior show in asbury park" -- all of these dumbasses

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 2:19 AM

McGregor!

This wasn't a life-changing concert by any means but the heavy songs BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN way to fucking go whichever poor soul was working the sound

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 3:15 AM

Portishead was probably the best show of the year for me, only one that might have been better was Deftones in Hartford, followed by Foals in Providence the next day. Beth's voice was absolutely perfect and the band sounded great. Played everything I wanted to hear...a very good mix of all three records. Newish song reminded me of Devo Haha. Crowd was great...noisy when they needed to be and quiet when it needed to. No one dare speak during Roads, which was beautiful. Another douche was taking pics with his tablet, which is the worst trend out right now. Go die in a ditch if you're doing that.

SEE THIS BAND IMMEDIATELY IF YOU CAN!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 3:29 AM

Yeah I took about a hundred pics with my iPad at the show it was awesome. I hope I was the one 3:29 was talking about and I hoped when I took the pictures I blocked that persons view.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 6:17 AM

lol - taking pictures with a tablet?! So awful...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 6:18 AM

martha stewart is lookin good!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 7:52 AM

Amazing.

Posted by Eduardo | October 5, 2011 8:18 AM

So I'm guessing....
opener 8-845
portishead 930-1100

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 8:25 AM

How early did the floor get packed? Remember being there for Pixies couple years ago and I couldn't move....

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 8:26 AM

you know what wasn't packed at all and was amazing? the two shows in asbury

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 8:31 AM

Great show. They are technically amazing live. It was dampened for me by three raging assholes next to me doing cocaine of of each others bodies and screaming/being generally fucking terrible human beings.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 8:32 AM

seats first mezzanine, dead center - powerful show - The Rip got me emotional - lost a dear friend when this came out - came rushing all back to me
and seeing Clive with them and Radiohead within a week was something else all together

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 8:59 AM

So who wins, Portishead or Radiohead?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:05 AM

My ticket for tonight says that I am seated in BALC1 Row GA2. Where is this? I'm looking at the seating chart and the balconies are 101, 102,...105. Also I assume everyone in the balconies has a specifically assigned seat?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:09 AM

seriously-- what time did portishead play? im going tonight and on a super tight schedule... dont want to miss a note

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:14 AM

opener was like 830 - 910?
portishead 930 - 1100 sharp

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:20 AM

I liked the Portishead show much more than Radiohead....could be that it was my 1st time seeing Beth & Co. and I've seen Radiohead many times. Either way, both bands are excellent.

If you are taking pics with an iPad during a performance, you deserve to have said device smashed to pieces. Only in NY or LA would this happen. Typical d-bag would take pictures, ruin the night for those around them, and then tell their friends (who desperately wanted to be at the show) that it was meh, or not worth their time.

New Trend at concerts.....ripping an iPad out of some jerk's weak hands and seeing how far/ hard you can throw it into a wall. Seriously, once you threaten that you're willing to get booted from the show by beating their face with their iPad, I'm sure they would put it away. Win Win!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:43 AM

The show was so much more than I thought it would be. Didn't think Portishead could pull off their sound live and they exceeded my expectations. Sound was amazing. Thumbs up to the sound engineers. Looking forward to tonight.
Yes I agree about camera phones , cameras and tablets. Keep them at home and enjoy the experience.
I hope musicians and venues start banning use of cameras at shows. It really takes away from the whole experience.
Will be looking for tablets tonight with my slingshot.

Posted by Henry | October 5, 2011 9:44 AM

Best show of the year...I wanna do it again tonight!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:49 AM

Why no mention or photos if the support band. Hand-picked by Portishead for this tour, Thought Forms really are a great band and worth seeing. BV are usually really good at posting photos of the support band, so I'm surprised no mention here. Hopefully you will tonight.

Posted by Ruby | October 5, 2011 9:50 AM

Can we please get more shows like this? Reminds you of how sub-par music around here has become.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:53 AM

Awesomeness:
Beth Gibbon's emotional hunch over that mike made my soul sing.
Slide show looming in the background seriously amplified the music.
Sound was perfect.
Adrian Utley is so hot.

Awfulness:
The opening act was horrible
The long wait for them to appear was a total buzz kill.
Hammerstein ballroom staff, 10 million stupid rules, and overpriced drinks makes me never want to go back again.

In all, a long term desire to see this band live was satisfied and I'm happy.

In all, a long term desire to see this band live was satisfied and I'm happy.

Posted by Lauren | October 5, 2011 9:53 AM

how was security?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:54 AM

Was it packed like sardines in there again?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 9:59 AM

There are music lovers and there are poeple who kinda like music and just feel a need to be at major events. The latter cannot live in the moment and are easily distracted. Their genuine want to be there is based on the 'idea' of being there while taking lousy cell phone videos that nobody will ever see.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:02 AM

Were there people selling cheapish tickets outside last night?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:03 AM

Thanks for posting set times - I have GA Floor tix .. If I skipped most of the opener, do you think I'd be standing in the back? Were there a million people on line when the doors first opened?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:04 AM

@953 lauren

I want to make love to you.

Posted by Takk | October 5, 2011 10:04 AM

yeah, cheap as your pants...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:07 AM

To people taking pics during a show
people taking video during a show
people updating their facebook status during a show
people tweeting during a show
people having a convesation during a show

LIVE IN THE MOTHERF##KING MOMENT!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:07 AM

don't miss Thought Forms.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:11 AM

how cheap or expensive is "cheap as your pants"?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:11 AM

As you would expect this band is amazing and still retains a lot of what won people over in 1995. Great Show. Heads up though.The line was pretty ridiculous when I got there last night at 8:45, down the block and then some, but moved realtively quick, got in just a few minutes before lights went down at 9:20. Security is strict and will take your lighters and whatever else but thats only if you can't hide them well. Have fun if you got tix...one of the best shows of the year by far...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:23 AM

@ 10:04 -- Floor was starting to fill up by the end of Thought Forms, but still not too packed. There were barely enough people to fill the first two rows when doors opened.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:25 AM

Just coughed up $100 for a GA ticket. Better be worth it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:25 AM

This is not a joke or meant to be inflammatory...but is Portishead a gay band. Never seen so many same sex makeout sessions at one show ever.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:35 AM

It's New York, bro

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:38 AM

And you're right down the street from Chelsea

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:38 AM

"So who wins, Portishead or Radiohead?"

"I liked the Portishead show much more than Radiohead....could be that it was my 1st time seeing Beth & Co"

both are spectacular acts, and yes i would agree that the first time (for both) is the most amazing. my first radiohead show was definitely my favorite of the times i've seen them and portishead at coachella was on the same level. i've also seen radiohead several times since then. i say its a tie. sadly won't be seeing portishead this time around

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:41 AM

This show was absolutely amazing. I can easily put this as my favorite show in several years, there was so much energy on stage and in the audience, and Beth's voice and the music sounds much better live.
If you get to attend tonight's show, make your way as close to the front as you can, you will be pleasantly surprised toward the end :)

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:44 AM

@10:23, @10:25...thanks a lot for the info

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:45 AM

"Just coughed up $100 for a GA ticket. Better be worth it."

you will not be disappointed. enjoy!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:47 AM

9:09, balconies are first come first serve, just like floor GA
place started to pack around 8 pm, Portishead got on stage at 9:30 and from then on... magic!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:47 AM

For those sitting upstairs, was the assigned seating adhered to or was it first come first served? My mezz ticket has an assigned seat and I'm hoping it will be enforced since it's a front row seat.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:50 AM

as someone who attended both shows at asbury park, i'd say it's worth it to drop $150 for a GA ticket. really great show

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:58 AM

While we all know that Beth has an utterly enchanting voice, it isn't until you see Portishead live that you'll fully realize just how incredible the band is as a whole. Seriously, such a amazingly memorable experience!! Do NOT miss this rare opportunity!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 11:02 AM

people blazin' up inside?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 11:06 AM

People taking iPad/Tablet pictures obviously deserve cancer, but not as much as people that take iPhone/SmartPhone pictures, and yet think they're any different.

It was nice seeing Mangum photography free this weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 11:19 AM

wait they take ur lighter away? hardcore searching?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 11:27 AM

The assigned seats were adhered to.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 11:28 AM

One person here says that the balcony level seats were first-come first-serve, and another that the assigned seats were adhered to. Anyone confirm -- which is it?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 11:52 AM

8:32: I don't remember cocaine, but were those parasites all the way to the right (facing the stage)? About halfway distance from the stage?

A couple of us were around some goth looking girl with her steroid infused boyfriend and some other girl too. They were some of the most obnoxious people in a crowd ever. Seriously wished violence on them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 11:56 AM

My friend & I smoked 8 J's last night. If you get caught in Hammerstein you're a fuckin retard.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 12:11 PM

I heard the crowd was annoying.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 12:18 PM

WAAAAAAA! boo hooo best show ever, does anyone have a tissue?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 12:44 PM

^ I'll give you two; the other for... you know.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 12:54 PM

12:11 - 8 j's during a 75-90 min Portishead set? I think it's clear who the retard is.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 1:07 PM

The ushers said the seats were FC/FS. Our seats were occupied, so we found others, but were then booted by the ticketholders. So we went to claim our rightful seats (FC/FS my ass: hammerstein staff is lazy, but this is NYC, I'm used to it). The male of the couple was a douche, so I didn't feel awful about it. Our seatneighbor turned to us and said "Thanks, you guys seem nicer than those two". Whoever you were, seatmate, I hope we didn't disappoint!
Otherwise, what an odd crowd! There are few times I've considered the energy in a room to be palpably electric, this was one of them for sure.

Posted by clarke | October 5, 2011 1:11 PM

and i really love it when kids in their 20s who go to one show a month are twitting it was "the best they ever saw".
i never thought portishead new york crowd would be that lamestream.

Posted by ME | October 5, 2011 1:23 PM

@123pm obviously you never been to enough ny shows my friend. its mostly people who likes to tweet and take pics with their phone instead of actually enjoying the show.

when the band is playing seriously go back towards the back to chit chat with your friend. no one cares what you have to say.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 1:33 PM

"...but i'm telling you, most of the ATP crowd had found the shows underwhelming."

WTF are you talking about??!?!??!! I went both nights @ ATP and Portishead was absuloutely amazing!!!

Btw, how would you possibly know what 'most' of the crowd thought considering that you prob only talked to a small handful of peeps who were done with you after obligatory introductions. Stuff it!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 1:34 PM

^^^ "most of the ATP crowd had found the shows underwhelming." -- simply untrue. I saw both shows and was floored both nights...as was the 7 other people I was with. There was much love in that room.

Posted by Half Chemical | October 5, 2011 1:36 PM

I was at ATP, and don't recall a single person thinking it was anything other than amazing. The closest were two people (of about 30 that I spoke to) that left before the Sunday show, thinking they'd be identical. And even they gave some serious thought to staying the night, and going right to work from Asbury.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 1:39 PM

if you left ATP on Sunday before Portishead, that decision will haunt you until you are lucky enough to see them again. Make the choice, live with the consequence

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 1:41 PM

atp sunda was perfect. not crowded at all! but atp saturday was packed for portishead. if someone is telling you otherwise, they weren't there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 1:55 PM

portishead on sunday made me feel like I and a couple hundred very lucky people stumbled upon Portishead performing for no other reason than to make us all happy. it was amazing

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 2:12 PM

"will check them again tonight but i'm telling you, most of the ATP crowd had found the shows underwhelming.
on saturday there was some crowd who bought one day pass especially to see portishead so they got some good reaction on stage but on sunday the mostly weekend pass holders crowd fell to sleep mid show."

Underwhelming??? Weekend pass holders fell asleep??? You either weren't there or are just a huge d-bag loser. Portishead ruled and everyone in attendance at ATP can agree with that!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 2:17 PM

I was at both ATP concerts and yesterday at Hammersten... And all 3 concerts were equally amazing. Same set list though every night.
And if you want a good spot to stand at Hammerstein, better get there at 8:00.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 2:22 PM

ATP ruled - saturday had the bigger crowd / and sunday you were able to walk around - Honestly convention hall I felt was great for them - Sadly slept on getting cheap tickets for last nite - and now im deciding on getting rid of my austra tix to go tonite hmmmmmmm

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 2:24 PM

ATP Saturday wasn't even that packed. Purely enjoyable.

Honestly, what else even comes close to this show tonight? These are once in a decade shows people.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 2:34 PM

You're all dicks. Saw these pricks on the Dummy tour and got a nice blowjob after. Great night all in all.

Posted by Antony | October 5, 2011 3:04 PM

did someone answer the how tight is security question yet?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 3:23 PM

This concert solves the eternal question...

Portishead > Radiohead

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 3:26 PM

fondue music

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 3:37 PM

That's me and my girl in the last photo - I didn't look this old when they played Roseland - wow, it HAS been a long time - great show - we are going again tonight.

Posted by Roy | October 5, 2011 3:37 PM

Hope they change the setlist a little bit tonight. It's been the same on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday. But no complaints, but I would like to hear Mourning air.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 3:40 PM

I don't expect a setlist change & can't complain really about the show of the year — but no 'All Mine' live at all these days?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 4:31 PM

it was slightly different on sunday than it was on saturday.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 4:39 PM

"and now im deciding on getting rid of my austra tix to go tonite hmmmmmmm"

Here's some help...this time next year, you'll be like Austra??? Who? Oh yeah that band I can't remember anymore because they're irrelevant.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 4:50 PM

Did anyone see frohawk? (He was there)

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 5:24 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 6:21 PM

"@3:26pm - even Thom and the boys would agree with you on that one - they are major fans of Beth & Co. - genius knows genius"

true

though Thom would say something more along these lines

REM/Pixies > Portishead > Radiohead

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:53 AM

Frohawk was there! It's confirmed.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:57 AM

Frohawk is a bum. I'm in the fucking library and he prances around doing no-work all day finding the funds to see every band play. Fuck, I need to re-evaluate my lifestyle.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 1:28 AM

Setlist tonight was the same except for the second song, Nylon Smile instead of Hunter. Which is fine with me because I think Nylon is the superior song.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 2:02 AM

Frohawk - thought I spotted you but wasn't 100% sure, figured it'd be offensive if I just walked up to a big black dude with a mohawk and said 'hey are you Frohawk?' and he'd be all like 'I GUESS WE ALL LOOK THE SAME TO YOU'.

Either way too starstruck but I did see you giving out hugs which was mad baller.

Just want to say you seem like a chill bro. Can you be my Frobro?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 3:30 AM

I don't know why, but Beth gives me such a chubby.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 8:56 AM

bands with unpredictable set lists > bands with predictable set lists

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 8:56 AM

great show, but not amazing like the 1998 shows.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 9:17 AM

Agreed it was one of the best I have seen in awhile; and can't you feel that unrighteous great attitude of the band that lacks any bougie feel (uhhhum).

BUT all the cameras sucked. It is no 2003 and extremely cheesy. As an aside, keep this in mind...anyone out there agree with the protesters on Wall Street. If so leave your cameras at home because it is those bankers that did all the financing on your little geek treats. As well as all the rare earth metals mined by our mining friends around the world.

Again, amazing show...leave the cameras at home.

Posted by buckybosun | October 6, 2011 10:08 AM

Wednesday's show was really great. It is ironic that since the band has such a thin recorded catalogue, they are almost forced to play every one of their great songs live. Total command from Beth, it was a real treat to hear her sing. The band was terrific and the sound was both huge and clear. The drone and military drum thing worked for me. I saw them the last time they played Hammerstein and enjoyed this show more--the songs from Third added some serious weight.

The crowd was very respectful except for the cellphone/camera thing (maybe they should issue paintball guns to combat this--thwack!). Not a lot of talking during the music where I was, and it created an atmosphere where when a guy started singing along, he quickly realized that he was out of line and actually apologized. You don't go to the museum and doodle on the paintings, do you? Do you? Well then. So I'm obviously a dick, but not having to resort to anti-dick dickery was refreshing for a change.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 10:57 AM

does frohawk get on lists or is he rich?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 11:49 AM

Really I think Adrian's playing is what takes their music to a new level live.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:07 PM

do you guys have pics and shit from the Wednesday show?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:08 PM

1:28 wait Frohwak works at a library?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2011 12:43 PM

like I said 10:57am, the show was so quiet you could hear a pin drop during Roads. no one ruined the quietest parts....beautiful.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2011 2:55 AM

Can anyone tell me the name of the opening act?? I was at the show and cannot say enough about the first act who came out, played like their lives depended on it and then just stopped, packed up and walked off. They deserve so much credit! They were just as amazing as Portishead!

Posted by Pez | October 8, 2011 12:14 PM

The music simply drowned me into sheer delight, much like Maxi Jazz, Horace Andy, Daddy G & cie!
I was beyond the karman line and you, well, below and appropriately anonymous! Not toffee nosed, but how undeniably crass!

PS: It'd be rather clever working in the library, alas was just briefly in searching for S.Jobs's commencement speech!

Posted by Frohawk | October 8, 2011 11:48 PM

the opener was called Thought Forms. A poor man's explosions in the sky/red sparowes/a place to bury strangers. meh.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2011 2:01 PM

One of the best I've seen in quite and I attend many.Portishead's uniqueness is beyond reproach..

Posted by johnny de | October 9, 2011 2:59 PM

I don't go to many shows, but even if I had, this one was exceptional. Balcony seats were first come, first served except for the first two rows. Yes, people sparked up, myself included. Sound and performance was both amazing. Nothing wrong with taking pictures and video...as long as it's with a discreetly sized device, not a fucking iPad. Without technology, we wouldn't have Portishead or so many of our other favorite bands. If you paid for the ticket, then you should at least be able to take away a few recorded memories along with the mental ones. Just sayin', enjoy the damn show. And for goodness sake stand up and clap you up-tight New Yorkers; I am a New Yorker, so eat that one.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2011 4:40 PM

Nice pic, what kinda camera / phone did you use?

Posted by Paul | October 11, 2011 2:50 AM

one of the best shows in my life. im living in brasil and combine my vacations in nyc just to watch beth gibbons and portishead! i made a review in my blog and linked to bv...

Posted by tom lion | October 23, 2011 7:39 AM

*wtf was the opening act?

Posted by tom lion | October 23, 2011 9:41 AM

I've seen over 500 shows in my life ..Marley.Zep.Prince...etc An amazing show with those and many more....well worth the 13 year wait.. a very unique performance...

Posted by Jonny D | December 24, 2011 8:10 PM

suck my dick jonny d hahahahahahahaha

WELCOME TO BV

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2011 10:02 PM

All 4 Portishead shows were the highlight of 2011.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2011 10:11 PM