Posted in music | pictures on October 3, 2011

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

Portishead

After leaving us hanging for over 14 years, Portishead finally returned to the east coast of the United States to play one of my personal favorite shows of all time at Asbury Park's Convention Hall as part of ATP's "I'll Be Your Mirror" on Saturday night (10/1). Unfortunately I couldn't stick around to see them do it again on Sunday (with special guest Chuck D of Public Enemy who played before them that day), but I do plan on being at one or both of the Hammerstein Ballroom shows this week to relive it again. I'll definitely watch Fallon too.

Much like Radiohead recently, Portishead's live lineup included two bald men. Like Radiohead, one of those bald men was Clive Deamer on drums (at least I think it was). The guy is keeping busy.

Jeff Mangum, who played the night before, and the two days after (including tonight) was in the audience to check out the NJ fests's co-headliner. From my seat I could see him talking to the drummer of Shellac (who also played the night before and who also plays tonight). Beth Gibbons crowdsurfed on top of that audience at the end of the amazing set.

More ATP coverage coming. For now, here are the Portishead pics from Saturday (with setlist), and a video of Chuck D joining them on "Machine Gun" on Sunday (like he did in 2008 at Primavera). It all continues below...

Porishead "Machine Gun" w/ Chuck D Public Enemy
Live at ATP NJ I'll Be Your Mirror 10/2/11 in HD

they played Mysterons and Roads!!!
I hope they do It's a fire also, can't wait for tomorrow

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 5:48 PM

that guy in the Trojans tee is so f-ing hot!

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 5:52 PM

They were great. As were Swans!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 5:52 PM

From the Criterion movies at the Berkley to the last minute Shellac show at the Lanes to the music at the Paramount and Convention hall to the amazing Shepard Fairey art around town this was the perfect sea side setting and weekend. Here's hoping ATP returns to Asbury Pk next year.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 5:53 PM

The stripped down version of Wandering Star with just guitar, bass and Beth will definitely bring tears to your eyes. So beautiful it actually kind of hurts. SEE THIS BAND!

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 5:59 PM

Portishead, Swans and The Pop Group. Not exactly the lightest faire but all any discerning music geek needs to make his or her weekend something special.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:01 PM

Great job ATP and Asbury park. Some ones gonna have to explain Magnum to me , totally underwhelming. Left my front town balc seat after 6 songs ZZzzzzz.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:04 PM

geoff barrow - greatest DJ on the cuts

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:06 PM

wow, what a setlist? really excited about this week in NYC!

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:12 PM

great weekend except for the idiot security guards during the swans set

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:25 PM

I had low expectations for this, didn't expect ATP to pull it off, but they did. This was an amazing weekend and I look forward to them bringing the fest back to Asbury Park next year. Hopefully it'll be someone of the Portishead / MBV caliber, and not Flaming Lips or Animal Collective as they have had the past few years at Kutsher's.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:26 PM

Portishead night 2... SHOW OF THE YEAR.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:29 PM

Great weekend. Swans, Portishead both times, Magnum both times, PE and Colin Stetson were all great as were Battles, too.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:30 PM

weakest ATP ever by far!!
hope it won't return to asbury park with its tons of security staff and cops everywhere and the lamestream jersey crowds.

ATP sets used to be special and much better than same bands playing before/after in the city. this time it looks the opposite. swans in williamsburg was way way better than at ATP and i bet same would be with portishead.

as for portishead fine but nothing more show, apparently BV hasn't seen too much in his life to purr so many superlatives on it.
and btw silver apples was also featured at the last number on sunday night at the emptiest room ever played by an ATP headliner.

Posted by ME | October 3, 2011 6:34 PM

6:34- not Silver Apples, Simeon FROM Silver Apples. Get your details straight you annoying know-nothing fuck!

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:46 PM

Security was really easy and chill. And who cares about "the crowd". I go to concerts for the music, not to people watch. And I thought the lineup was really good. Though I did feel like public enemy played a bit to long and that mt Zion orchestra was serious snooze fest... But that stage they played in was top notch.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:53 PM

Oneida played for 10 hours. Discuss.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:55 PM

yeah 6:34 has it all wrong. all i ever hear is about the kutcher days blah blah blah, this was my first ATP and i will definitely be making the trip next year. portishead made my year.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 6:58 PM

Magnum sucks, but i like their condoms.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 7:27 PM

Event was tight and well run......venues were hip and just about perfect. Security was chill and laid back , just had to flash em your wristband. Bring it back to AP........

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 7:29 PM

Portishead was amazing on Night 1. Question: do people actually like Swans? I left mid-set, eardrums still intact, to check out Ultramagnetic, who cooked. But... are you supposed to get a masochist thrill out of losing your hearing? Is that the point?

Posted by Unsure | October 3, 2011 7:50 PM

Oneida kept switching up the members. I was there between 6-7 on Saturday and Adrian Utley and Geoff Barrow were jamming with them. It was really good.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 7:51 PM

that was an amazing festival. so chill. well, except for all the music that rocked. crowds weren't pushy. most sets allowed you to get right up close without feeling pushy.

portishead curated some amazing shit and played a perfect set.

battles, dd/mm/yyyy, deerhoof, foot village, jeff mangum, ceramic dog, anika, public f'n enemy, the one and only flava flav.

the paramount theater was beautiful. the lighting was pretty great all around. the sound at the convention hall sounded like the big concrete room that it was at times, as well as being plagued by some tech difficulties. but the layout of the festival ruled the planet.

ATP ATP ATP!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 7:59 PM

Paramount security was terrible - assholes through & through - it doesn't get nerdier/more polite then ATP attendees & they were treating us like juggalos. Asbury lanes staff was great, even convention hall wasn't so bad (you'd think it would be the same people but it wasn't).

Also a heavy police pressence - I felt bad for the pot smokers. Otherwise I liked asbury park.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 8:07 PM

there must have been a couple bad apples in the security, but it was nothing but chill for me all weekend. smoke weed in the beer tent! cops on the streets were a bit of a heavy presence, though.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 8:17 PM

So many people are shitting on Paramount (by far the best room) because of the security. Part of the problem was that Mangum requested no pics/videos. Felt like a bit of a police state but worth it to not have a cellphone held up in front of me for the whole show. Only other time they were over aggressive was during Swans. Again, not fully their fault. Gira had everyone stand and come closer. They aren't allowed to have people in the aisle.

Direct your hate where it belongs. Asbury Lanes was shit. Cakeshop site-lines and it would fill up for EVERY show. Just use Stone Pony.

And the main room sound system was shockingly bad for some sets. I'm not a sound snob (I can go to T5 if I have to) but I couldn't be there for Company Flow. How can that room sound so good for Portishead and so awful for Chavez and Company Flow?

Still, not huge gripes considering how great most of the weekend was. I hope they give it another go.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 8:34 PM

Asbury Lanes rules.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 8:56 PM

Radiohead at Roseland was awesome

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 9:10 PM

Asbury Lanes is the hippest spot in the tri state area. Next year more after hours events at the hotel would diffuse the crowds at the lanes. Both the pony and wonder bar (bra) are live nation venues so there out of the picture.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 9:14 PM

^oh, i love monopolies.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 9:18 PM

Artificial Scarcity Fest '11

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 9:26 PM

Oh man, that is an amazing setlist! I can't wait to see them Wednesday!

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 9:31 PM

Fuck Asbury Lanes. A 250 person venue at ATP makes no sense. If less than 250 people want to see a band, they shouldn't bother booking it. If more than 250 people want to see it, the answer isn't counter-programming so people have to miss something, its a bigger room.

ATP had horrible sales this year. They were probably hoping for twice as many people as they had. Yet, still, there was a line down the block for every show. People had to leave Portishead early to see Factory Floor. WTF?

Asbury Lanes is probably a great venue for 100 fans on a regular Friday night. Worthless for ATP.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 9:34 PM

9:34.

fuck asbury lanes?

fuck you.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 9:37 PM

The Pop Group were amazing. All in all quite a fun weekend. Diff.then Kutshers, closer to Minehead.

Posted by AndyF | October 3, 2011 10:06 PM

Security was not a pain outside, inside I didn't see too many problems except for Mangum shows where the ushers kept annoying the hell out of people.

Sound was great in the two main venues, except for PE, Co. Flow. I thought AP held their end of the bargain pretty well....great atmosphere, bonfires were a nice touch, and people like pinball. Empty crowd space was a real plus.

As for the Lanes, great place, but why not use the Berkeley for main acts, the room was far larger and probably would have made for easier access, they should have put the "second string" DJs at lanes...people would still go to be in a bar...but no one would go to an empty room in the Berkeley for some DJ. That room was underutilized, except for a wedding apparently Sat. night.

To what someone said earlier, I am under the impression (I'm a semi-local) that the Pony, Convention Hall and Wonder Bar are all promoted by Live Nation, they all use their marquees to advertise various shows at those respective venues...also Stone Pony staff was handling all liquor sales inside convention hall, so yes, Pony should be a viable option for next year...so I think.

Otherwise, I will be definitely be back next year...great job to ATP and locals for having us around. A guard actually thanked "us" for really not starting any crap and being well behaved. One ATP production staffer said, "bigger and better for next year." I hope so...but let's not make it that much "bigger."

Posted by blg | October 3, 2011 10:07 PM

worse...atp...ever...

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 10:07 PM

also, 9:34, they should also keep track of how they let in press and all, press was walking in, going out, giving their pass to a friend and letting those people in, totally shut out ticket holders, which pissed me off quite a bit.

Posted by blg | October 3, 2011 10:13 PM

"worse...atp...ever..."

you = dumbest...fucktard...ever...

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 10:23 PM

Saw some white boy hipster get popped by thuggies on third st. Pow pow pow!

Yes, please come back to the AP so we can rob some more of you idiots!

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 10:31 PM

Clip of Portishead w/ Chuck D

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 10:34 PM

I'm from the area (went to APHS) and shocked/disappointed that Stony Pony wasn't used. I also assume it had to be some kind of politics. And then they were selling merch? Weird.

Springsteen has always been a huge Asbury supporter. I know it's hard to work out the logistics, but why couldn't he fill in for Mogwai somehow? (though was, of course, hoping for Radiohead)

We farted out for day 3 and headed back to the city. Didn't see the use of staying for Portishead again. Our first ATP and felt it woulda been better just Sat/Sun.

Not a huge Portishead fan, but thought they were pretty amazing. The lighting/video work was top-notch.

Security was fine for us. Ditto cops (just don't speed).

Only stopped into Asbury Lanes for a bit. I thought it was actually perfect to have one band playing essentially the whole day there. Everyone can chill for a bit without a crowd gathering. I can't comment on what it was like for Shellac though.

Would love for them to come to Asbury again next year. Sheppard Fairey is a huge douche, but nice to see his stuff around. Hope they get another artist to add some more.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 10:37 PM

"Bonfires were a very nice touch. Pretty sure that's the first time I've seen those on the Jersey Shore (cops round there are nazis)."

AP boards does a weekly bonfire, so I guess ATP just filled a permit and it was cool.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 10:48 PM

Asbury lanes capacity is 350, got that from a staffer. Shepard Fairey actually seemed pretty cool, he took time to spend a minute with anyone who stopped him.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 11:11 PM

@11:11 got same info, but "capacity" still left a ton of moving space due to the fact that the alleys are not counted as occupiable space, the Pony fits 750, but if they opened the back it maxes at 2,500. Still not a bad option.

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2011 11:33 PM

I missed Portishead in Toronto in 1994 because the show conflicted with a concert by Siouxsie and the Banshees (I've regretted it ever since.) Since then, I've been to hundreds of shows, over the years. Without a doubt, Portishead night 1 was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Beth's vocals were astonishing, and the backing music was indescribably perfect. Thought about driving the three hours to Asbury Park on Sunday for night 2, but was too tired. If you can see them on this tour, do it!

Posted by Scott | October 4, 2011 12:12 AM

Asbury Park ATP site needs to come along way to become as special as the events at Kutchers, I missed the intimacy and ability to check out everything without having to walk for blocks in the rain.
Awkward ,spread out , disjointed, and commercialized. Having to throwout my bottle of water + whatever food in my backpack, at every security checkpoint between sets seemed to be a blatant attempt to capitalize on a captive audience. Over all security was genuinely polite, but they were following orders to search and clean out everyones food + drink. Making the event all the more expensive. Even the food vendors that ATP brought in got screwed , being literally "left out in the cold" and rain in tiny tents outside the venue while the in house vendors raked in the cash.
Security was actively pursuing weed smokers inside the venues, and more than one person was arrested by undercover + uniformed officers outside the venue for sparking up. Top that with cops who wore angry scowls and liked to hold their hands on their guns + you get for a VERY different vibe then previous events in the Catskills. ATP festival goers are a respectful, courteous crowd, the police and more than a few security personnel didnt know how to handle it.
Asbury Lanes has a 350 person max limit + that made for many unhappy lines. An event that is supposed to sell 4000 tix, with a venue that has a 350 max is frustrating, but forgivable, when you realize that it is an extra (3rd) venue for music. There are still 2 large capacity venues to host the masses.Its an addition folks! The few blocks to walk over, and the risk of being shut out, was often rewarded by a great time and an absolutely stellar staff.I cannot say enough good things about the Asbury Lanes crew.True ATP spirit.
The Berkley which should have been a center point, but was largely overlooked because it was, at the opposite side of all the venues. Unlike Kutchers where the concertgoers would pass by the cinema/ parties/DJs/comedians/side bars and improv entertainment, as they walked back and forth (unmolested by security or cops) between venues. Sadly I never made it to the Literary Stage or Cinema because they were just to damn far out of the way.Besides the comedy acts I saw, the only other time I made it to the Berkley was to attend the "late-night" DJ parties. Unfortunately everything in Asbury Park gets shut down at 2AM sharp!! Fluorescent lights on! "Dance Party" off! + get out! No matter how rocking the party is. Very different than the all night raging fun at Kutchers.
That being said...The BANDS WERE AWESOME!!!! I Love the Paramount Theatre! a perfect 2nd stage for an ATP event.The Convention Hall however, leaves a lot to be desired. A huge cavernous cement space does not lend itself to the explosive volumes that were being played. Portishead was the only band that dialed down the volume to a level that that room could handle.And it showed, they sounded fantastic, even in that room. The Battles on the other hand,blew me away!, and managed to dominate the sound of the Convention Hall in the exact opposite way. But a lot of good performances were marred by muddy sound. (and don't get me started on the sound guy that robbed Marc Ribot, I think his guitar was never even put through the main speakers)
Ill be back ATP! I would STRONGLY prefer Kutchers gracious hospitality, intimacy, and relaxed atmosphere, but believe that Asbury Park still has SERIOUS potential as a venue. I just believe that you need to "contain" it a little better. Isolate it from the public to reduce security tension, and get some electric golf cart shuttles!! run them in circles to accommodate the distance between venues. And please, don't have us stand in torrential rain while we check in.Lastly,,, I hope your food vendors forgive you and come back,They have brought a lot of friendly spirit, and good fair priced food to your past events.Your going to need a couple of really big tents.
Or go back to Kutchers. Ill pay extra. Seriously.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 3:09 AM

Dud anyone eat the hummus at Aqua bar? It was amazing.!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 4:47 AM

There could have been gold coins washing ashore and the Kutshers crowd would have still hated ATP in AP. I was there and I also believe that there is serious long term potential in this location. I was locked out from Asbury Lanes on Saturday night, but that's thw price you pay for watching that incredible Portishead set.

Posted by crispin glover | October 4, 2011 5:46 AM

BV you gotta stop censoring comments. Fuck you.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 9:28 AM

9:28....BV is censoring you because you're probably a huge f'ing d-bag. So in return, F YOU!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 9:45 AM

@9:28-----BV provides a great source for music news and a free comment section. This a not an outlet for you to act like an immature child making irrelevant outbursts. F--k you loser!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 9:48 AM

3:09
I think you left out a few details. I had such high hopes for a longer post.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 9:53 AM

@ 3:09

"The few blocks to walk over..."

"The Berkley...because it was, at the opposite side of all the venues"

"...and get some electric golf cart shuttles!! run them in circles to accommodate the distance between venues"

OMG, you must be the absolute lazier F--KER of ALL time!!! If anything the, 1-2 minute walks were a nice breath of fresh air. Get some exercise or die sitting in front of a computer. Pathetic commentary!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 9:56 AM

@3:09 does not know what he is talking about...you only had to throw out water if you left the venue and went to the lanes, they did not make you toss your water if you stepped out for a smoke, went to the back smoking area or between paramount and convention hall. In any concert setting water will be taken once you leave the "venue." It's just the way it is.

Also, we only can really bitch about the rain Friday night...I admit, that was brutal, but far from ATPs fault, and the Lanes was a 3 minute walk tops, so really? Spread out?

$3 water, $3 beer at Lanes, and $6 huge coronas I do not find to be expensive.

Uhh, as for the golf carts, check this google map out...3 min walk...get over yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:00 AM

^^ Ps - if you are disabled or have a health condition, I sincerely apologize and take back every I just wrote. If you are just severely out of shape, go outside...NOW!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:00 AM

What words is bv banning? Seriously, legit comments are getting screened out. It will degrade the discussions here if we can't devise a better system.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:03 AM

Thank God that BV decided to ban the doctors of spin. That sad-meme-attempt lost all chuckle-worthiness about 5 seconds after the very first post.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:06 AM

Is there anyone who's gone to the event at both locations and prefers AP over Kutshers? The ability to bring your own drinks and walk around, unmolested, with an open container was fairly critical to the experience. I imagine Kutshers is no longer an option, but ATP better find a new location.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:31 AM

Great weekend at ATP! Looking forward to next year in AP. The Horrors, Battles, Portishead, Thee Silver Mt. Zion, Swans, and Jeff Mangum were all good!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:40 AM

Ok, I think I'm missing something. I used to love Battles and have had a great time seeing them in the past. Lately, they just sound incomplete and lacking something. Maybe not as complex of a sound anymmore? Btw, pre-recorded vocals are lame.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:44 AM

S P I N D O C T O R S M E M E I S S P I N D O C T O R S M E M E

HERE TO STAY

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:44 AM

THE S P I N D O C T O R S SAID THEY WANT ME TO EAT MORE HUMMUS.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:47 AM

having gone to over 1100 shows and many festivals I have to say hands down this was the BEST festival ever. Any other festival pales in comparison. This festival is run by absolute MUSIC LOVERS for MUSIC LOVERS. You cant beat the line up and intimacy. The sound was superb. I be lying if I didnt say that was most likely the greatest musical weekend I have EVER had. ATP more than exceeded my overwhelming expectations.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 10:50 AM

totally regret missing portishead!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 11:04 AM

the vibe at Kutsher's was definitely a bit better, and things were more connected, but AP was a great event regardless. the paramount was a FANTASTIC space, and the Asbury Lanes was also excellent.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 11:09 AM

agreed. It didn't seem overly commercial or polished. It had a homemade sensibility to it that allowed the music to take center stage.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 11:18 AM

I dont know why I didnt think this before the weekend...and still dont know why they couldnt/didnt do it....why not have beth gibbons do a solo set at the paramount as a replacement for mogwai.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 11:21 AM

Also idea for replacement of Mogwai...Roedelius/Simeon/BEAK>/Stetson jam session!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 11:29 AM

If you walked away from ATP and the main things on your mind were the security guards and the site layout, you obviously don't know how to appreciate a good time. ATP was amazing and I feel bad for any festival-goer who didn't leave with that vibe. I had an ear-to-ear smile during Portishead while you were sending sour tweets from a dark corner. Sad.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 11:44 AM

All you fuckwads complaining about the Asbury Lanes need to move back to Ohio. I have seen some incredible gigs there throughout the years and never had any complaints.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 11:59 AM

My only complaint with Asbury Lanes is that it was too small. I just couldn't force my pregnant wife to stand in the rain waiting in line to see Thinking Fellers. That shit was weak.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 12:30 PM

i went. hella fun.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 12:41 PM

"Like Radiohead, one of those bald men was Clive Deamer on drums (at least I think it was). "

It was indeed Clive Dreamer

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 12:58 PM

11:59 - get your facts straight ...
Asbury Lane complainers are from SF or LA or DC.
Kutchers complainers are from Boston or Hartford or Providence.
Crowd complainers (how big, how lame) are from Ohio or Iowa.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 12:58 PM

Dear Asbury Lanes employees/fanboys,

We like your venue. Please stop posting to defend it. Good sound. Nice atmosphere. Cheap beer. Bowling. The problem is that many people couldn't get in. Considering that a few of the most hyped (Cults) and anticipated (TFUL) sets of the weekend were there, our inability to get in the door sucked.

Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 1:07 PM

I thought P.E. playing an extra long set was a perfect fill for Mogwai, and they were effin great! Sound was eh, but overall I'm not complaining. Thanks ATP for coming to A.P.

Posted by Bradley | October 4, 2011 1:18 PM

I saw PE in 1993. Shit was dope, son. Hope that they still have it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 1:19 PM

Dear girl with flashing hula hoop during Portishead's set,

I F--KING HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU!!!! You distracting, attention-seeking a-hole!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 1:30 PM

Asbury Lanes (AKA The Ocropolis) ruled in every way.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 1:57 PM

Portishead was so amazing both nights. The acoustic wondering star version and cowboys were clearly highlights for me. But every song was great... They are better live then they are on record and that's saying something!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2011 3:27 PM

@1:07, i agree that the limited capacity at the Lanes made you make some time management decisions, but that didn't stop me from seeing TFUL282, Shellac, and Factory Floor from right up close.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2011 10:03 AM