Posted in music on November 12, 2011

Antony

Musician and visual artist Antony will exhibit over 60 of his works of art at the Hammer Museum opening January 22 and running through May 13 in Los Angeles. This exhibition will be part of the Hammer Projects series and held in the museum's Vault Gallery.

Over the past twenty years, Antony has developed an esoteric and diverse body of work that includes not only his critically-acclaimed music and elaborate performances but also his lesser-known work in collage, drawing, and sculpture. Antony's work emerges from a set of rituals such as washing and burning paper or engaging in repetitive mark-making as well as cutting, tearing and sewing found images. Hammer Projects: Antony is his first one-person museum exhibition in the US and will feature collages and drawings made between 2004 to 2011, some of which were recently published in Swanlights, a book accompanying the 2010 Antony and the Johnsons album. The exhibit is organized by guest curator James Elaine.

Antony's visual art has also been shown at Palais Des Beaux Arts in Belgium, Isis Gallery in London, Accademia Albertina in Turin and the Triennale in Milan. In 2009 he curated a group show entitled Six Eyes at Agnès B. Galerie Du Jour in Paris, which included work by Peter Hujar, Kiki Smith, and William Basinski. The New York Times has said of his work, "A case could be made that Mr. Hegarty himself is following some uncharted lines as an artist and performer..."
Tickets for Antony's Radio City Music Hall show in NYC are on sale now.

WE GET IT. YOU'RE GAY.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 12:39 PM

nice pricing, geez... antony and the cure cost almost the same...

Posted by ME | November 12, 2011 1:16 PM

If Elton John fucked Sufjan Stevens while imagining Gaga's man costume, and the child experienced a silent birth in a hummus bath, it would be this person.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 1:55 PM

This is so post-brunch.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 2:06 PM

"Antony has developed an esoteric and diverse body of work....."

Esoteric.

Diverse.

Man, not only is this bullshit deep, but boy does it stink to high heaven too.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 3:48 PM

SELF
IN
DUL
GENT

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 4:04 PM

Looks like quite the lady (yeah, maybe that was intentional).

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 5:04 PM

"WE GET IT. YOU'RE GAY."

It's not like he's Ellen DeGeneres here.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 5:07 PM

On a side note, has anyone else here picked up this fairly new double disc set of West African electric guitar called > Wallahi Le Zein!! Wezin, Jakwar And Guitar Boogie From The Islamic Republic Of Mauritania

It's unreal. Aquarius Records in SF flipped out over it, and, surprisingly, the kiddies at 'fork reviewed it too. I actually heard a cut on WFMU and it stopped me dead in my tracks. Fucking amazing guitar playing and super raw.

Listen to it. NOW!

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 5:17 PM

2:06 = comment of the month.

Posted by Unanymous | November 12, 2011 5:21 PM

5:17 Jakwar was impressive back in 2009. Now, not so notable.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 5:23 PM

Yeah, he not Jeff Mangum, you hipsters.

Time to get over it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 5:30 PM

@ 5:23pm, you fucking asshat. jakwar isn't a person. maybe when you decide to stop feeding off your parents, you'll decide to open up you mind to new styles of music. then again, most people looking at this site don't know shit beyond what pitchfork tells them. if they ever walked into a record store like other music, poor little kids wouldn't know what to do.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 5:37 PM

Brooklyn Vegan, proud home of homophobes everywhere.

Stay anonymous you losers.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 6:06 PM

exactly. what is up with all the homophobic ranting on bv the past year? it's really, really sad. i'd like to see all those kids come out in public like that.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 6:12 PM

he wants some mancum

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 7:04 PM

5:37 - the posting by 5:23 never implied that Jakwad was a person. Calm down. Smoke some weed or get a drink. This is the Internet. Not everyone will always agree with you. Ok, kiddo?

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 7:56 PM

It doesn't matter if your gay or straight... If you got a hummus platter handy, I will be your friend.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 9:10 PM

"Homophobic" is a moronic word. I've been in lots of gay bars with gay friends. One need not fear the queer to think that dudes sucking dong or taking one in the poop chute is worth making jokes about.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2011 10:49 PM

Brooklyn Vegan, proud home of homophobes everywhere.

Stay anonymous you losers.

Sounds like crying wolf to me. Anthony is being kinda obnoxious about his needing to be on a pedestal like an indulgent drama queen.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2011 1:28 AM

10:49 is a moronic human.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2011 9:10 AM

^ 10:49 is a lot smarter than you are. Cocksucker.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2011 9:47 AM

9:47 is a real charmer.
People must love you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2011 10:56 AM

9:47 is a hummus magnate beloved by everyone. Even Colin P Fitz loves a maker of fine hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2011 11:46 AM

works in collage = sucks at art

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2011 3:40 PM

There's a difference between a homosexual person and a "faggot" (used in the Louis CK manner).

Antony Hegarty is a homosexual person. Most BV commenters here are faggots. If you happen to be a hipster too, your likelihood of also being a faggot jumps up to 90%. It's only natural.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2011 5:47 PM

As a card carrying Williamsburg Jacuzzzi Boy, I reject homophobia in all it's forms. More for me, if you know what I'm sayin....

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2011 8:11 PM

I can haz teh cocknballz?

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2011 11:37 PM

In the immortal words of Louis C.K

"I would never call someone a faggot because they're gay. I would only call someone a faggot if they're being a faggot."

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 8:33 AM

These comments really suck. I've been reading BrooklynVegan for YEARS but I'm ready to throw in the towel. I agree that the comments have gotten hideously immature, homophobic & misogynistic over the past year. I'm all for funny or snark, but a lot of these comments are just vile. They're not funny, kids.

I wish BV would start requiring registration for their comments. It would probably weed out a lot of the bullshit.

Posted by Matt | November 14, 2011 10:43 AM

"And the reason why Antony looks like a "lady," idiot at 5:04pm, is because he's transgendered. Stop being a fucking bigot."

You mean that rather than simply being gay, he's mentally ill? Bully for heshe!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 10:57 AM

It weird how Transgendered folk always trade in their baby carrot for a pita triangle.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 11:03 AM

I love the transgendered movement. Like we're not supposed to notice that's it's completely INSANE. It's not a race, it's not a religion, it's not even a sexual preference, like dude said above, it's a mental illness.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 11:09 AM

^ no. you're ignorant, now shut up.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 12:15 PM

^ No. You're ignorant. You can tell yourself that gender is a social construct all you like, but one team has the penises, and the other has vaginas. Nature told me so.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 12:32 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 12:32 PM

if he wasn't transgendered, nobody would pay attention to him. good career move.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 12:42 PM

love you antony

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 1:43 PM

Transgendered people are NOT mentally ill. It just means they identify as a different gender from that in which they were born. Some choose to go through extremes like gender reassignment surgery, others may just want to express themselves by dressing differently, like Antony.

You guys are so close-minded. It's pathetic. You should consider yourselves lucky that you feel comfortably in your own skin. You shouldn't knock others who struggle with that.

Posted by Matt | November 14, 2011 2:12 PM

"I feel like I'm arguing with commenters on the Blaze or something. BV used to be a lot cooler."

I suppose that by cooler you mean that you liked the warmth of being in a fantasy bubble with other weirdos. They are mentally ill. The very definition of it, in fact.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 2:20 PM

^^ You're a dick. An anonymous dickhead.

Posted by Matt | November 14, 2011 2:29 PM

"love when people call other people 'ignorant', but don't include what the accused is ignorant of. Not exactly a compelling argument. Kind of makes you look like an idiot."

and what exactly is the point of trying to convince someone that they're ignorant on an anonymous message board? you've already proved it with your statements. no need to go any further.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 2:36 PM

Well, I have dick, therefore I man.

It must be difficult for Jerry Sandusky to live in his own skin, what with having the uncontrollable urge to fuck young and vulnerable boys and all that. But let's not call it mental illness. Rather than being all judge-y, let's be compassionate and call it an alternative lifestyle.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 2:38 PM

so was antony born male (with a penis) and identifies as a female, or born female (with a vagina) and identifies as a male?

the only transgendered folks i know are in the latter category. my heart goes out to them, being homosexual is trying enough, can only imagine how fucking complicated this must get sometimes.

btw, please refrain from the petty name calling and labeling. it's very unbecoming.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 2:47 PM

Transgendered people can transition from male-to-female just as they can female-to-male. I believe Antony identifies as genderqueer though. I really don't know. I never really cared to find out. I just enjoy his music.

And yes, it is fucking complicated. And it's a painful, emotional struggle that some of these people go through. But it is not a mental disorder. Groups like the Traditional Values Coalition may think it is, but they used to also think homosexuality was a mental disorder, and we all know that's not true.

Posted by Matt | November 14, 2011 3:12 PM

"I'm not going to waste my time arguing with douchebags who compare pedophilia & child rape to transgenderism. Like I said before, you're an idiot. And sick. Sorry, call me petty if you must. At least I'm not making asinine, offensive comparisons."

They're both mental health issues, you moron.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 3:34 PM

We probably need more articles about it by transgendered people. Probably need more research by people who are already deeply invested in the matter as well.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 3:36 PM

Strangely, I have a metal health disorder. You can see what I'm talking about here

I appreciate your understanding.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 3:49 PM

"Transgendered people can transition from male-to-female just as they can female-to-male."

ugh, no they can't. They can snip and cut cosmetically, but they can't actually transition. Mentally ill seems pretty accurate to me.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 4:02 PM

Unless your gender identity is debilitating your life, being transgendered does not mean you are mentally ill, jackass. For most transgendered individuals it's simply a way they go about life. Like Antony. He's not mentally ill.

Furthermore, the American Psychological Association does not classify transgenderism as a mental illness:

"Is being transgender a mental disorder?

If you still want to compare the transgendered community to pedophiles & child rapists, you are free to do so, but I will continue to call you a fucking narrow-minded, immature, uneducated bigot.

Posted by Matt | November 14, 2011 4:03 PM

They're NOT transgendered! Not in any physical or scientific way.

"A psychological state is considered a mental disorder only if it causes significant distress or disability. Many transgender people do not experience their gender as distressing or disabling, which implies that identifying as transgender does not constitute a mental disorder."

"And it's a painful, emotional struggle that some of these people go through."

Seems by your own logic it's a mental disorder.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 4:10 PM

Tranny Annie just wants everyone else in the comments here to tell her that she's okay. You're okay, Tranny Annie. Lars and his real doll are okay too. Everyone's okay. Let's have a Carvel ice cream cake!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 4:18 PM

fudgie the whale and cookie puss are invited, too!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 4:27 PM

I'm all for pissing off the fey Williamsburg bitch children on this site but....dude that's making the comments about transgendered equalling mental illness is a bit too much.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 4:36 PM

What I meant was, it's a painful struggle for acceptance-- among society, family members, and even themselves. Social norms & other people's prejudices & ignorance makes life difficult for a lot of the transgendered community.

But no, I didn't mean that life is painful & debilitating for ALL trans folk, or that their gender identity is the source of their pains & struggles.

I realize this is a controversial subject & there are still SOME groups who erroneously classify gender identity disorder as some sort of physiological impairment.

But my real beef here is with the comments comparing transgendered people to child rapists like Jerry Sandusky. I really hope that person who posted (anonymously, at 2:38pm) was really just trying to be funny... but as with a lot of the homophobes & misogynists who post anonymously on this board, they failed at their humor...miserably. And I found that particular comment REALLY offensive.

Posted by Matt | November 14, 2011 4:48 PM

If you don't like 'mental illness" (GID), what do you prefer? Birth defect? Rare disease?

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 4:59 PM

I didn't find that offensive. Whether talking about a man who is sexually drawn to children or a man who believes he's a woman, you are talking about people with faulty wiring. It's sort of cruel to equate a comparatively benign affliction to pedophilia, but in both cases they are emphatically not right in the head.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 5:07 PM

All I know is, from what I was taught about transgender people, they are people whose birth-assigned sex is different from their own internal sense of gender identity. Some people call it a gender identity disorder. And I suppose that's fine with me. I just don't like to consider these people "mentally ill," which has a bad connotation. It's like encountering someone with a sleeping disorder (which are classified as mental illnesses) & saying, "That narcoleptic person is mentally ill... just like Jerry Sandusky, the guy who likes to rape young boys." It's just not a good comparison. You don't equate the two.

And I was just sensing a lot of insensitivities on this site-- people essentially equating transgender individuals as being sick or twisted, which is not the case. Identifying as a gender opposite of your birth sex is not a crime. Raping a child is.

Of course I know this is just an indie music blog, but I remember when this site used to be full of comments by intelligent, introspective & funny people. Now it's just a den of immaturity & put-downs. And I was really bothered by it today.

PS- I couldn't even pull up decent seats for Antony's show-- something I usually have no trouble doing. And for THAT reason, I am also peeved!

Posted by Matt | November 14, 2011 5:35 PM

So members of GOD HATES FAGS now troll the board here?

My guess is the guy who keeps calling transgendered people mentally ill is one most ugly looking pieces of shit that hasn't been laid in . . . forever.
Now, let's wait until they come back and say how much ass they get, in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 6:41 PM

While most people identify as male or female there tons of others whose sexuality
is more fluid. It's human, perfectly natural, and a lot fun to explore other identities, fantasies, and fetishes.

If you're uptight, ignorant, and close minded you're the one w mental issues.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 7:05 PM

GOD HATES 6:41

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 7:05 PM

7:05 there is a huge difference between sexuality and gender you dope.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 7:17 PM

7:05 is obviously a confused individual in more ways than one.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 7:49 PM

I hate all of you.

Posted by God | November 14, 2011 8:08 PM

^hipster

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 8:16 PM

I don't think I'm a bigot or anything. It was a lame joke I threw out there. Stupid, but pretty tame in comparison to some of the other nonsense spewed out here. I wasn't even trying to insult him either, since the photo didn't bother me or anything (I kinda thought it looked nice, in fact).

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 9:15 AM

Can you email me with some pointers on how you made your site look this awesome, I would appreciate it.

Posted by jocuri | September 2, 2012 10:31 AM