Posted in music | pictures on November 14, 2011

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

Dave Grohl & Madison Square Garden
The Foo Fighters

Last night at NYC's Madison Square Garden, Dave Grohl and the boys not only played past midnight -- a rarity given the venue's typical 11 p.m. curfew -- but during the encore, they brought out Joan Jett and Husker Du leader Bob Mould for rip-roaring covers of "Bad Reputation" and Tom Petty's "Breakdown," respectively.

Before all that, however, the band was doing fine on its own. F-bombs were flying from Grohl's mouth, shred-heavy solos coming from his fingers, and laps through the audience kept him running (via an extended stage that spanned the distance of general admission). It was an inspiring bit of frontman badassery -- a universal truth to those in attendance at the packed arena, which has recently undergone a makeover.

The Foos' 24-song set, which was preceded by openers Social Distortion and the Joy Formidable, kicked off around 9:30, led by "Bridge Burning" and a handful of other standouts off the band's latest, "Wasting Light." Grohl's standard "it's going to be a looooong night" line was met by hearty cheers, as was his "Guitar Hero" rant, in which Grohl urged parents to buy their kids "a real one [guitar]... they might write something like this ['Monkey Wrench']."..; [Billboard]

The tour continues in NJ tonight. Pictures of all the bands at the NYC show last night (11/13), with videos of both special guest moments, and the headliner's full setlist, below....

The Foo Fighters

Foo Fighters and Joan Jett - Bad Reputation - Madison Square Garden,NYC 11-13-2011

Foo Fighters 11.11.11 - DC - Dear Rosemary & Breakdown

Stacked Actors
Walk
Monkey Wrench
Let It Die
These Days
This is a Call
In the Flesh? (Pink Floyd cover)
All My Life

Encore:
Wheels (Dave Grohl Acoustic)
Best of You (Dave Grohl Acoustic)
Times Like These (Dave Grohl solo acoustic into full band)
Dear Rosemary (with Bob Mould)
Breakdown (Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers cover) (with Bob Mould)
Bad Reputation (Joan Jett cover) (with Joan Jett)
Everlong

In first on what is sure to be a very hateful thread.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 8:47 PM

Wow, Social D. Y'all blowin up. I saw you at TT The Bears with Bouncing Souls in like 95. Good for you and your 25 dollar shirts

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 8:53 PM

I don't really care to listen to the Foos, but I can't deny they put on a great live show

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 8:57 PM

I do not get what people see in the Foo Fighters, they suck, and Social Distortion has always been overrated.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 8:58 PM

the "very hateful thread" won't come on my behalf. I barely listen to the Foo Fighters but It was a fantastic show. Better than 99% of the indie bands I see live

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:00 PM

hey lets all shit on the foo fighters! boo! corporate rock!! come on bv, i'm waiting for a show here...

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:03 PM

I don't own a single Foo FIghters record. But I saw them at Irving Plaza a few years back and it was one of the funnest shows ever. Dave Grohl comes across as the most down to earth dude ever and very likable. Can't fault them for being famous

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:05 PM

lmfao...foo fighters

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:06 PM

The Foo Fighters 1st album was good.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:15 PM

Blah blah foos are sellouts blah blah hummus joke blah blah I'm implying that i'm cooler than you blah blah kickball katy blah blah sp1n d0ctors blah blahhhh.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:16 PM

2nd album was great as well

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:20 PM

After Cobain spilled brain salad all over his guest house, I wanted nothing more than to like the Foo Fighters. Meh. I tried.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:51 PM

soccer mom rock

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 9:59 PM

The Joy formidable were awesome

Posted by nh | November 14, 2011 10:17 PM

3rd album was great and the latest album is fantastic. I was at the Metro show this year in Chicago. Oh yeah, and it was great. Don't hate on greatness kids.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 10:20 PM

8:53 was a big ska head, bet he wore a pork-pie hat.

Bitch

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 10:29 PM

MSG does not have an 11pm curfew. I've seen many shows there over the years and most end around 11:30pm. Hell I saw Neil Young play until 1:30am there just a few years ago. There is no curfew, but I believe union OT kicks in at midnight so you very rarely see band play past midnight.

That being said I wasn't at the show last night but I saw the Foo's about a month ago at the IZOD center and they put on a great show. I never listen to their music, but I would go see them live again on the next tour in a heartbeat.

Posted by BK | November 14, 2011 10:41 PM

This is a very good lineup, all things considered.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 10:54 PM

saw this show. didn't love them before. love em now. if you haven't seen em yet, then don't hate...

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 10:54 PM

1st. bitch. the foo's first album was simply dave in his basement doing everything. i know. i was living in seattle at the time. 2nd. i saw social distortion along with sonic youth open for neil young and motehr fucking crazy horse back in '91. neil kicked it. sy fucking totally kicked it. sd can take their broken chain and fuck themselves with it as they sucked.

peace, billyburger bitches.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 10:56 PM

10:41 is wrong

union OT kicks in at 11pm

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 11:12 PM

YOU PEOPLE LIKE FOO FIGHTERS?????

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 11:14 PM

ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 11:37 PM

I can't wait till Radiohead plays at MSG next year......

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2011 11:59 PM

I hate the whole Dave Grohl is the nicest guy in rock line of bullshit. Anyone who has reached that level of fame is not nice. It's impossible.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:02 AM

i saw the foo fighters last night. when they're on, they're great. when they start doing 5 minute jams and drum solos in the middle of a song, they totally drain the energy out of the song. a 3 hour set condensed into 2 hours with each song going straight for the jugular would've been much more memorable. that's my take. the joy formidable were enjoyable. social d were great as usual.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:18 AM

Foo Fighters have always been my favorite band that I've never bought any music from. Not super interesting, but it just rocks and I always enjoy their songs when I hear them.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:25 AM

i'm quite certain the band's name is foo fighters and not the foo fighters.
this obsession with shoving a "the" before any band's name.

Posted by ME | November 15, 2011 12:34 AM

Posted by Netherland | November 15, 2011 12:53 AM

Posted by Netherland | November 15, 2011 12:54 AM

^ dude, stfu.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 1:16 AM

it does not matter if a union show ends at 11pm or 130am. the crew has to strike all the equipment AFTER the show. everything is arranged in advance. the strike crew shows up when the show ends and does their 4,5,8 or 10 hour strike.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 1:44 AM

And also after the show David growl chows down on 4.,5,8 or 10 entire tubs of sabra brand substances.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 2:51 AM

Awesome pictures from an amazing show. The foo has never let me down! Oh, and thanks for not standing in front of us for too long, we were there extra early to get front row. Not too excited when a bunch of photographers jumped in front of us. I was the cheeseball in the red flannel 4th pic, fwiw.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 5:23 AM

Mr. Grohl - if you're so concerned about Guitar Hero, stop licensing Foo Fighters songs to damn-near-every installment.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 7:01 AM

^good point... 12:18..I agree too..I hate when they jam..

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 7:21 AM

I saw Grohl on the street yesterday. Broadway and Spring. A guy in a cab yelled out to him, "you're a fucking genius!"

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 8:23 AM

^ Now that is being generous. It would be more accurate if he yelled out, "you're fucking competent!"

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 9:03 AM

This show rocked hard. Haters gonna hate.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 9:29 AM

i'd be so badass if Goldsmith showed up and together play at least 2 song from the first Album :
-Floaty
-I'll Stick Around

THE ORIGINAL FOO'S LINE UP !

Posted by Kazukovox | November 15, 2011 9:34 AM

the first two foo fighters albums are great... really great. but you are kidding yourselves if you think anything onwards is any good. kurt cobain would hate this band.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 10:26 AM

It's no secret that all West Coast music fucking blows.

Posted by Brian Eno | November 15, 2011 10:34 AM

What would Kurt think?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 10:37 AM

Goldsmith sucked and, they should totally do Weenie Beenie and Wattershed off the first record instead of that stupid guitar solo jam.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 10:48 AM

GREAT SHOW !!!! So cool to hear SD play mommys little monster at MSG....

Posted by Blag the destroyer | November 15, 2011 10:58 AM

I spent half the set in the toilet and that was the most glorious 2 hours of my life. Very thorough bowel cleanse.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 11:34 AM

Is there anywhere to get a bigger version of these photos? I'm in the last crowd one and I'd love to save a copy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:16 PM

Fuck all you idiots. It should be illegal to hate on anything Dave Grohl does. Like his band or not, dude is the coolest fucking man alive.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:16 PM

11:34, I take it you ate at P.F. Chang's before?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:18 PM

Thanks 12:18. I'll be sure the band gets the message. You clearly know more about writing a set list than a band who can sell 20,000 tickets.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:26 PM

(12:18 AM that is)

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:27 PM

I'd say that 12:18 PM is the one thats spot on and hope the band does get his message. Anyhow, I didn't enjoy PF's on this particular night but I did have it nearly a year ago in Vegas. It ravaged me in ways that I didn't think were possible even by intestinal acrobatics. Now, if I had had it before the Foos there is no doubt I would've been sequestered in that latrine for the entire 4 hour duration of their magikal set.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:51 PM

"Foo Fighters always had a lot to prove. Despite David Grohl's intent to break ties from the shadow of Nirvana, lyrics and song structure for the (newly) quintet were never rocket science, oriented more for the masses than for the exploring connoisseur. That's why after the departure The Colour and the Shape meant, the stagnancy of four subsequent records made the disappointment even more deafening. The same trite of loud/quiet combination and chord progression twisted to all the possible forms called for a rapid change."

I've always found it fascinating that Dave almost never acknowledges Kurt's death (or maybe I missed something along the way?).

But I'm with you more or less. In fact, the s/t debut is the only album of the Foos I really like.

Also, anyone remember the last time (or if they ever) they played "Alone + Easy Target" live?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 12:56 PM

Wow, talk about polishing a turn. Analyzing the Foo Fighters career arc is about as worthy as intellectualizing a vintage 80s WWF wrestling match.
The Foo Fighters are music for and by white assholes.

Posted by PF Chang | November 15, 2011 1:18 PM

Turd, auto-correct is a bitch in a pinch.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 1:21 PM

yeah he's a nice dude and gets way more props and goodwill for that (what does that say about the amount of assholes in rock these days) than he should. its unapologetic corporate rock and roll and theres nothing wrong with that but it is what it is. they arent led zeppelin and they arent nirvana. sure they can fill msg and rock 106.3 FM spins all their hits but anything historical, magical, legendary or memorable....please. ive never gotten the foo worship other than younger kids who are nostalgic cuz they liked them in high school.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 1:35 PM

social distortion ruled the night... dave has forgotten his punk roots and gone for over the top bombast... we love pat smear but was he necessary? too many players on stage clouded the music... mike ness and the boys brought the riffs, the tunes and rocked out... sharp and concise, the interlocking guitars were excellent... sure, dave was bigger and louder at the risk of the music losing focus... keep it simple, stupid...

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 1:39 PM

I have one of the Foo's albums, so not a big fan, but the show fucking rocked very hard. Nearly 3 hours of Foos. Fucking wiped out still.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 1:56 PM

i like the first 4 Foo Fighter albums. yes, Dave Grohl is one cool dude who is very grateful.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 1:56 PM

Mike Ness is a total douche!

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 2:00 PM

"dave has forgotten his punk roots"

Dude. Punk is dead. And if you get into it and your so called punk roots aren't forgotten by the time you are say 22 or 23, then you're a fucking idiot who needs to grow up

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 2:03 PM

punk fucking sucks

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 2:21 PM

1:35: I totally agree with everything you stated.

Also, I don't have a problem with Dave, but it does seem like he tries a little too hard to be the guy that gets along with every rock and metal musician out there (that's at least semi-famous). Kind of annoying.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 4:01 PM

12:56,

I saw them do that song at the 1st K-Rock Dysfunctional Family Picnic in Queens in 1997.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2011 4:08 PM

some of the dave worship has gone over the top. i wanna meet dave grohl? fuck that i wanna meet krist novaselic! he's not a typical rock star, i think he's smart and an all around good guy, im sure he's fun to talk to, his videos are funny, i loved the westboro fuck you but good god people he's not the second coming

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2011 1:08 AM

Agree with Anonymous 12:18 AM, the show could Indeed be smaller. 2 hours condensed, that means less jams and sans Grohl acoustic would be better. It's so big that when they played "Everlong" by the end I was to tired to enjoy.

But anyway was a very good show, the set list was spot on and David Grohl was great.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2011 9:05 AM

^^^^^ yeah, their peers Pearl Jam play like 3 hours a show too with twice as much song. No fillers (why a band like Foo FIghters needs to put out 2,3 covers every night), no long acoustic sessions or jams. As a musician friend of mine said "Only musicians enjoy play Jams, for the public is pretty boring:. Well, I fell the same. But, still, a very good show

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2011 9:12 AM

maybe someday he'll get sponsored by Bushmills

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2011 5:52 PM

listen to White Limo & Bridge Burning then stfu

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2011 4:40 AM

Is Joan Jett really the baddest MFer he knows? Cool bringing her out for a couple of songs.

Posted by Steve | November 21, 2011 5:38 PM