Posted in music | tour dates on November 9, 2011

by Andrew Sacher

Lee Ranaldo with Sonic Youth in August (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
Lee Ranaldo

Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo, whose solo work had previously been highly experimental and noise-driven, is currently working on his first rock-oriented solo album, with material more similar to his Sonic Youth contributions. Lee and his new band, which includes Alan Licht, Irwin Menken and Sonic Youth bandmate Steve Shelley, played their first show opening for Wild Flag at The Bell House in October. They opened their set with the song, "Angles," which Lee introduced as "kind of a love song that goes out to a couple dear friends of mine who are going through some shit right now." Maybe he was talking about these friends? Videos of Lee and band playing that song and another called "Xtina" is below.

Lee and his band will play their next NYC show performing songs from the upcoming album on December 16 at Glasslands. Tickets for the show are on sale now.

Lee is also performing as part of NY Guitar Fest at Merkin Hall with Kaki King on January 12. Tickets for that performance are still available.

Lee is also featured on David Amram's poetry album, David Amram Poetry Jam, along with Casey Cyr, Steve Dalachinsky, Albert Kausch, Rich Martin, and Ron Whitehead. The album can be purchased at CD Baby.

Lee, a photographer on the side, has also been posting pictures from Occupy Wall Street to his page on SonicYouth.com.

In related news, Thurston Moore is one of the artists scheduled for Lincoln Center's American Songbook 2012 Season and will play an acoustic set on February 2. Tickets are available as a presale, though they require a password.

All dates and videos below...

Lee Ranaldo - "Angles" at The Bell House 10/15/11

Lee Ranaldo - "Xtina" at The Bell House 10/15/11

Lee Ranaldo -- 2011/2012 Tour Dates
12/16/11 Glasslands Brooklyn, NY (band)
01/12/12 Merkin Hall New York, NY (solo) w/ Kaki King

Fri, Dec 9 Teatro Dal Verme Milan, Italy
Sat, Dec 10 Moods / Kilbi Im Exil Zurich, Switzerland
Sun, Dec 11 La Gaite Lyrique Paris
Mon, Dec 12 De Duif Amsterdam
Tue, Dec 13 Vooruit Concertzaal Ghent
Thu, Feb 2 The Allen Room at Lincoln Center New York, NY

i guess when lee and steve heard the breakup news, they were like "fuck let's do our own thing this is awkward"

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 10:59 AM

I also started a rock band when my parents got divorced.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 11:12 AM

Ponderous guitar wanking , pass.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 11:14 AM

grow up dudes, yer done!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 11:25 AM

too little too late. good luck with that Lincoln Center American Shitbook gig

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 11:26 AM

alan licht? it'll be at least 25% shitty.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 11:26 AM

All Things Must Pass

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 11:27 AM

"too little too late."

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN THIS CONTEXT

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 11:34 AM

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 11:49 AM

In terms of caring, it goes like this:

Sonic Youth,
then Thurston Moore,
then maybe Kim,
then no one gives a shit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 11:49 AM

and you 11:49 are at the bottom, or lower, well below the no one gives a shit level.

Posted by donn | November 9, 2011 11:53 AM

From those two clips I like what I hear. I am certainly going to check them out. And I agree with 11:49AM - this place has some seriously fucking sad people posting comments these days.

Posted by gonegardens | November 9, 2011 11:55 AM

Got my ticket, and looking forward to not seeing any of you assclownshitfuckwads there too!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:06 PM

Whats up with all the old people on BV recently?

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:07 PM

11:49 (b) People who don't care about Lee and Steve know very little about music and lack the knowledge needed to write comments on a music site. Go F--K yerself, moron!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:12 PM

ps - Disrespecting Roger Waters makes you hated by every band you like.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:14 PM

"Disrespect Sonic Youth on a NY-based music website and you reveal yourself as nothing more than a stupid a-hole."
Untrue, it revels you to be a real New Yorker, not some wannabe scumbag transplant from Ames, Iowa.

"ps - Disrespecting Roger Waters makes you hated by every band you like."
If I could stop laughing I would explain to your feeble mind just how out of touch with reality you are. Roger Waters is a bloated old queen that stopped being relevant when Jimmy Carter was still president.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:20 PM

I gotta say, Lee's songs were always some of my favorites. I'd be much more into seeing Lee in a new band than seeing another Sonic Youth show where they're playing outdoors on 30 foot high stage.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:21 PM

The difference being that Sonic Youth tends to attract hipsters big time (an observation, not an insult; since I like them too, but don't do anything hipster) and Pink Floyd is a famous band recognized by almost anyone who likes music (read: all types of people, not just hipsters). Just though I'd like to point that out.

10:59: Yeah, pretty much.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:27 PM

>>The negative comments on BV have gone from obnoxiously irritating to absolutely unfounded and dumb! Recent dissing of Roger Waters and now, Sonic Youth....who the F--K are you people??!

I could not agree with you more. I'll pass on the Waters commentary for the moment. But seriously ... how on earth does anyone have anything negative to say about Lee?! He's the nicest guy in the world. He's always been about the music. Period. For fuck's sake. When Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs were contemplating signing to a major, who did Karen discuss witha nd trust? Lee. Sonic Youth are part of the roots of almost every single fucking band listed on this sight. They have helped out more unsigned and small bands than one can even count. And not only that, after thirty plus years, they still continue to evolve and push boundaries. Have you heard the latest SYR release from last year, the french film score? It's dissonant, noisy, melodic and gorgeous all in one.

You may not like the band. Cool. It's your call. BUT FUCK ALL OF YOU for talking shit about them. You clearly have no idea about the music scene of New York City. Go home and get lost.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:28 PM

"ps - Disrespecting Roger Waters makes you hated by every band you like."

you are the epitome of uneducated, simple minded f--ks.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:46 PM

"Roger Waters is a bloated old queen that stopped being relevant when Jimmy Carter was still president."

yup, 12:20 really nailed it

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 12:54 PM

BV, should have mentioned that Sonic Youth played a show this past weekend. It was in South America, and was probably an commitment that pre-dated the Thurston/Kim breakup, but its kind of important that it wasn't canceled and the band still seems to be a band.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:06 PM

His music is AVERAGE AT BEST. I couldn't care less what you say about me. I'm just stating THE TRUTH.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:13 PM

the proof that 1:13 has no idea WTF she's talking about

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:16 PM

Lee Ranaldo has never made a good solo record. He doesn't even listen to his own music. That speaks for it self. Guitar noise with teenage poetry from a 55 year old wallowing in extended adolescence. No Thanks, i will pass. He can have his self. I still cant decide whats worse, his solo music or his teenage artwork. HORRIBLE

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 1:19 PM

12:14 / 12:46 - I've got no dog in this fight, but don't you think your hyperbole is a bit exaggerated? I mean, give someone the ability to have an opinion different from your own, why don't ya? Personally, I never really lost my shit over Pink Floyd, but I do recognize that Roger Waters is the force behind many of their famous works, BUT it is stale AOR overplayed music that he is responsible for, music that hippies and dope smoking maggots like to listen to and clean their pot on the fold-out album covers with. Anyone that was in the least touched by the Punk movement of the late 1970's/80's would have general disdain for such overblown music as a whole. I count myself among that number.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:21 PM

AWESOME - this show is gonna be fucking rocking, and soooo many of your faggots will not be there. WIN WIN!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:23 PM

Hey little boy keep your mouth shut before i fuck like a FAGGOT. I would shove my UNCUT DICK DOWN YOUR GODDAMN THROAT AND FUCK YOUR FATHER IN THE ASS. SONIC YOUTH IS PRO GAY AND THEY LIKE SKANKS LIKE YOU SHOWING UP AT THEIR SHOWS. FUCK OFF AND DIE. GO FUCK YOUR UGLY FAT GIRLFRIEND WITH YOUR LIMP DICK. BITCH.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 1:26 PM

Lee's "What We Know" is easily among the best late-period SY songs and has been a massive live highlight on recent tours, even alongside mostly "classic" material.

Dude is the man.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:28 PM

Hey Little AWESOME PUSSY BITCH. LEE HATES GAY BASHERS LIKE YOU. THEY HAVE LOTS OF GAY FRIENDS AND YOUR NOT WANTED OR WELCOME AT THE SHOW. I WOULD RAPE YOUR THROAT LIKE THE FAGGOT YOU ARE. SUCK MY UNCUT DICK YOU BROKE CHEAP LITTLE BOY WITH A FAT UGLY GIRLFRIEND

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 1:30 PM

this thread has officially gotten creepy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:32 PM

BROOKLYN SUCKS ANYWAYS I HOPE A TERRORIST FLIES INTO YOUR BUILDING AND KILLS YOU AND YOUR FAT GIRLFRIEND I WOULD FUCKING LAUGH MY ASS OFF. NEW YORK DESERVED IT. PAYBACK'S A BITCH.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 1:32 PM

dude WTF limp bizkit dot com!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:34 PM

GAY SLURS ARE MORE GAY THAT BEING GAY. EVEN STRAIGHT PEOPLE KNOW THAT THESE DAYS.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 1:35 PM

give me something to break

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:37 PM

What's creepy are heterosexuals who can't take the truth without gay bashing someone for expressing their opinion. If Lee was hanging out with his gay friends he wouldn't want to be bothered by little fanboys like you that don't know him. If you knew about Sonic Youth you would know they hate guys that gay bash. Not your people cunt, stay the fuck away from the show or im gonna show up a kick your fucking ass.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 1:39 PM

I think im gonna walk around Brooklyn and start beating up straight people for being straight.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 1:41 PM

I was at the WF show Lee opened, and his set ruled. I'll be at Glasslands for sure. I look forward to not seeing the majority of you there!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:43 PM

I will be in my mansion getting my dick sucked by your father. Glasslands is a shit hole dump. Have fun in the ghetto.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 1:45 PM

i smell as pussy fight coming...

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:53 PM

Roger Waters was right, you are wrong.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 1:58 PM

Oh my gosh, it's the toughest commentator on brooklyn vegan, everybody hide

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 2:05 PM

the first 8 comments in this thread are by the same lame troll

Posted by me | November 9, 2011 2:05 PM

Wow, many of you folks are not nice people.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 2:07 PM

I don't like dancing more than guitar, fighting.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 2:08 PM

12:20-fucking idiot

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 2:17 PM

Wow, I think that the twat with cap lock on needs a real beat down;

I'm pretty sure he's a hipster idiot with thick glasses and facial hair (read as "the beard")

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 2:34 PM

I like to go to clubs and fart loud.

Posted by wingwalker77 | November 9, 2011 2:38 PM

I'd just like to say tickets for Roger Waters third year of milking The Wall are available at all major Multi-national Bank-owned stadiums in conjunction with Livenation and Ticketmaster and if you use your American Express presale code you can get the deluxe $600 VIP packages before your friends! Let's stick it to the man, everyone! MONNNEYYY GRAB THAT CASH OH THE STASH YEAAAAHH 11-MINUTE KEYBOARD SOLO

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 2:43 PM

WOW. way to go bv for having the most homophobic and igorant comment section in the world of indie-music.

many people on this site either need professional help or need to open their eyes to the real world.

sad.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 2:49 PM

^ You must be new to BV 2:49. Go back to listening to good music and stay off our blog!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 3:09 PM

Lee Ranaldo's a homo! lulz!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 3:10 PM

LEE IS GOD.

SEE THIS SHOW FOLKS!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 3:11 PM

The only twat thats gonna get beat the fuck up is you. I would beat you to a bloody pulp and rape you in front of your girl friend. I bet your a dumb jew with a cut dick that was ruined by a third world religious fad. Jewish guys couldnt give a gay guy a hard even if they flashed a million dollars in their face. I can kill you and make the million dollar bond its not a problem. Watch your mouth before i shove my UNCUT REAL DICK down your ugly JEW THROAT.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 3:25 PM

I bet the dumb cunt who's gonna get his ass kicked at the show is some dumb kid from FLORIDA, who pretends to be from New York with a fake New York accent. Just like Thurston, sad but true. GOD IS GAY AND JESUS CHRIST WAS A FAGGOT. CHEW ON MY FORESKIN. I HAVE A REAL DICK SOMETHING YOU CUNTS DONT HAVE BECAUSE YOUR MOMMY CUT YOUR DICK OFF.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 3:28 PM

^ hey. when did tyler the creator start visiting BV?

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 3:30 PM

3:25 = sissy

3:25's dad = responsible

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 3:31 PM

LEE

IS

GOD.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 3:31 PM

E=mc2 Albert Einstein "The Theory of Everything" For every equal there is an opposite. Go read a physics book you mental retard. < ---- 3:31

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 3:34 PM

I must admit that when trolls try too hard it is so much easier to ignore them.

Thanks for overcompensating so transparently, troll :-)

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 3:49 PM

3:25 = typical Occupy Wall Street idiot
smelly, unemployable, full of self-loathing
typical BV reader

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 3:51 PM

3:34 - I think that was Newton, and it applies to motion not to sedentary clown shit
you asshat

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 3:53 PM

It seems many of you haven't been eating hummus lately and your all getting a bit cranky. Go to the store, puck up a thing of sabra and some pita triangles and chill out.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:05 PM

I don't like Newton's theories as they are stale and contrived....sorta like electroclash. I might've enjoyed some of his early work but his later stuff was boring and predictable....sorta like electroclash. Plus, his show at T5 had terrible sight lines.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:08 PM

4:08 lol newtons bad sight lines at t5 lol have you tried the cranberry newtons lol lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:12 PM

^ lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:17 PM

Limp Bizkit 4 ever

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:17 PM

He's a member of Sonic Youth.

And you are . ... poseur? fauxhemian? lame?

all of the above?

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:19 PM

LIMP BIZKIT FOAR EVAR UH!!! NOOKIE NOOKIE! YEAH! UH!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:19 PM

WES BORLAND SOLO SHOW AT EMERGING MARKETS HOTEL THE SAME NIGHT

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:21 PM

3:49 and 3:51. I hate occupy wall street and im a total neat freak, ive never been unemployed and im not a troll. IM TOMVIOLENCE. and dont you forget TOMHATESYOU !!!!

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 4:38 PM

3 dollar bill, y'all.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:38 PM

Sonic Youth wrote more songs about me than they wrote about Kurt Cobain. But i doub't you stupid trolls could name one. Newton has nothing to do with Physics 101. SUCK MY UNCUT DICK.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 4:40 PM

Dont fuck with the darling of the Sonic Youth scene i can get you all kicked the fuck out of their shows.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 4:42 PM

Gay!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 4:44 PM

ATTN : 3:49 - I fucked your dad last night. He swallowed. I bet your from Florida and your just like Adrianne Schramm. SAD !!!

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 4:46 PM

ATTN 3:49 : i hate brooklyn vegan. i never come here and the reason i don't is because of people like you. I bet your some girl from Florida pretending to be involved the New York artworld like Adrianne with horrible hetero art with no depth.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 4:51 PM

ATTN 3:51 is a typical guy from Florida pretending to be from New York who lived off his parents trust fund while they paid for his college and apartment in New York. You a sad little pussy who couldn't afford my light bill. My electric bill is $30,000 a month, but i doubt you could pay that, go ask your parents.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 4:54 PM

I laugh at mental retard trolls
You really don't know how it's done, son
Go back to huffing airplane glue in a lunch bag, but only after you ear your cut up apples mommy packed you

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 5:15 PM

lol lee renaldo is gay lol yeah and i'm the sheik of araby lol lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 5:16 PM

who is banging kim? who is thurston banging? when does coco turn 18?

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 5:30 PM

ATTN : 5:15 Im obviously the only guy here with a Platinum Card, I laugh at heterosexuals who dont have money and never will. Im richer than Sonic Youth and im sick of being dragged back to their level im above. Im not your son you nigger lover. I'll shove my expensive lunch down your goddamn throat. Go back to your shithole apartment your dad's paying for you pussy bitch.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 5:36 PM

mic check. i am the 1%. you are the 99%.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 6:14 PM

Your all going to die one day. Do u want me to bury u with your bank account? I'm the 1% that is bi-polar.

Posted by GAYICON | November 9, 2011 6:45 PM

I WILL FUCK ALL OF YOU IN THE ASS

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 7:40 PM

Hey, come back, your schtick isn't tired enough yet!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 8:04 PM

His bizkit got limp

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2011 9:17 PM

Lee Is Free.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2011 9:24 AM

my guess is that GAYICON is Courtney Love. what do you all think?

Posted by hmm | November 10, 2011 11:31 AM

blogosphere is brokenz

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2011 1:17 PM

I can't wait for the new cd.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2011 6:04 PM