Posted in music | pictures on November 23, 2011

M83 @ Webster Hall - 11/22/2011 (via balirsmith)
M83

M83 is in NYC to play what are probably two of the most in demand shows (that are on my radar) since Radiohead at Roseland. Tonight (11/23) it's at Music Hall of Williamsburg. Last night was Webster Hall. That show's setlist with more Instagrams from the night, below...

(via katieaalexander)

Claudia Lewis
Midnight City
A Guitar and a Heart

Encore:
Skin of the Night
Couleurs

Active Child opened last night and does again tonight too.

Tags: M83, Webster Hall

looks good! anyone else gonna blaze up there tonite?

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 10:52 AM

instagrams? is that all there is?

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 10:55 AM

"Damn homeboy in M83 has the weakest slap I have ever seen...inviting the crowd on stage is almost as stupid as stage diving to watered down synth-pop" - Jay Reatard

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:00 AM

Fuck this show. Seriously. Yes, colors are nice and watching people dance on stage is kind of cool, but play fucking instruments. The entire thing was basically a backing track with live drums (most of the time) and some minor flourishes on stage. Fuck, even one of the amps wasn't mic'd that one of the guitars was plugged directly into. Seriously, waste of time.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:04 AM

Man I'm sorry I missed this show.

Posted by Dan | November 23, 2011 11:05 AM

@11:00 - yeah, it's much cooler to literally piss on people.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:08 AM

11:04. First of all, it doesn't appear that you've noticed that M83 is not a rock band. It's electronic music. He brings musicians on tour to help recreate the sound of the records, but he's certainty under no stylistic obligation to have people playing instruments at all. Furthermore, there are ways of getting a guitar signal into the house without actually mic'ing the amp itself. The amp was probably just functioning as a monitor while a direct signal was being pulled from an effects modeler. But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:09 AM

The d-bag'ish crowd, venue and awful opening act made it harder to enjoy than it should have been - but M83 put on a good show.

Posted by GW | November 23, 2011 11:13 AM

11:09, the world needs more people like you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:14 AM

I liked the earlier shoegazey albums. Not really a fan of this 80s revival dance shit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:22 AM

DAVID BYRNE PLAYING MERKIN CONCERT HALL @ KAUFMAN CENTER IN NYC, TICKETS ONSALE NOW
kaufman-center.org/merkin-concert-hall/event/ecstatic-music-festival-jherek-bischoff-and-the-wordless-music-orchestra-wi/

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:34 AM

most in demand shows since radiohead? no f-ing way. no way. no way. no way.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:35 AM

Active Child was great, M83 was a hit parade. Played all the songs I wanted to hear and all of them well. Midnight City was hollower than the record, but Reunion was a treat. Great show.
That said, someone was laying down some thick farts the whole show on into the coat-check line. Shit was crazy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:36 AM

I think the backdrop lights @ Webster made this show little better than what will be at MHOW....

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:38 AM

m83 didn't play 'unrecorded'... :(

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:39 AM

big fan of the first M83 album,not this. Man, you chaaaanged!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:00 PM

No "Don't Save Us From The Flames"?

This hit parade is missing some floats.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:05 PM

This must not by BV... I mentioned farts and nobody took the bait. You guys actually want to talk about the music? What happened?
Hit parade in my mind meant all the pop songs. I love the post-rock/epic early records, but the new sound made for a supremely fun show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:11 PM

12:00- nope. first album sucks

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:29 PM

show was fantastic. i didn't smell any of the farts, but agreed with 11.13 the crowd had a strong d-bag contingent. i was surrounded by a bunch of annoying Gallatin girls who seemed to be drinking for the first time in their lives and chatting the entire show & screaming "i love you" at the band in my ear every ten seconds.

still, couldn't ruin a very fun night out.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:29 PM

instagram username? i wanna follow :)

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:32 PM

r.i.p. Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts..

Dude should have changed the band name when the other dude left...instead of keeping it and hitting the tween-cheese overdrive button.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:38 PM

this would never happen if the SpINNN DOCCCTORS were still around. They would kick everyone's asses if any band ever disappointed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:52 PM

I saw them a few weeks back. The show was good, but a far far cry from wetting your pants over.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 1:00 PM

gonna keep posting this until bv makes a proper post.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:32 PM

Ummm people were selling tix on CL for $40 late yesterday evening. Probably could have gotten for face at Webster. Definitely not one of the most in demand shows. The scalpers fooled you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:40 PM

2:40 is right.

firstly, i don't see how any show that has e-tickets or hard tickets available can be 'highly in demand' to the point of radiohead. for radiohead-level hysteria, you need a big band playing a will-call only show, where you need photo ID/credit card to get in.

that's why radiohead was so crazy, because the procedure for securing a secondary market ticket was literally insane. it was all craigslist - no legitimate outlets like stubhub, etc. you pretty much didn't know what the deal was until you met the buyer on the night of the show. and even then you needed ~$600

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:49 PM

actually 2:40PM, assholes were selling fakes on Craigslist like hot cakes. It was definitely one of the most in demand

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:53 PM

Yeah that set list makes me want to barf. Bring back M83 circa Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts...

Btw "most in demand show" is laughable. I tried to buy tix forever off c'list for Radiohead and didn't get one response. I had to walk around the line at Roseland with a sign for 2 1/2 hours before someone gave me their +1 (for $250). Peeps are selling the MHOW tix for $25 a piece on c'list...

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 3:11 PM

Short show, merely ok setlist (to be fair, I haven't listened to the new album yet). Some nice fun. Seen WAY more douchebagish crowds at plenty other shows (the Torche one for example - I was a little surprised too). First time seeing M83, so I enjoyed it quite well, although I can't help but wonder if the last show (at Webster Hall 2 years ago I think?) was probably a lot better since I really dug the 2 albums before. No after-party afterwards night seemed to end abruptly :(

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 3:36 PM

The lack of reading comprehension on this board is great. No one said the show was in demand more than Radiohead. Looking forward to tonight. I am sure it will be pretty fucking fun.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 3:40 PM

Went last night, the closer in you go, the less douche you'll encounter. Most fans are upfront. Energy was amazing and chemistry between band members was incredible. Jordan Lawlor was a scene stealer, Morgan had the crowd around her little finger and Anthony was full of energy.

Posted by Dubya | November 23, 2011 4:02 PM

I physically saw with my own eyes several folks get turned away for having fake tickets. These folks were at the front of the line being admitted, and these folks had "hard tickets" and "printout tickets".

Also, both guitar amps were mic'd. I was standing right in front of them, 1 person from the stage. I don't know what the previous poster was looking at thinking that it was a guitar amp.

Also, although I am not a huge fan I thought the show was good fun. I really wish the girl I was dancing with did not have a boyfriend. I cannot get her or her sweet smell off my mind all day.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 5:16 PM

I went to the Webster Hall show. Loved it. They seemed to tweak some of the Saturdays=Youth stuff with additional synthesizer flourishes that really worked well live. But, I missed some of the older stuff as well. Def worth checking out.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 5:20 PM

11:09 Fuck effects modelers

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 5:37 PM

I'm going to MHOW tonight to pick up young women on X. Should be like fish in a barrel.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 6:44 PM

Man, they haven't been the same since Perfect Prescription.

That was back when I ate hummus with my pita but now, I just prefer the chips.

Posted by Sam | November 24, 2011 2:17 AM

hi I'm a French DJ from LYON.
My name is DJ GINO
This is my Song :

See you !

DJ GINO

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 6:55 PM

It was an epic dancerific show! There's definitely some douches in the audience though. A guy snuck into the front to be with gf, but was texting on his phone the whole time.

Anyways, here are some videos I got from the show:
Intro: http://youtu.be/E2kaTvBLzqk
Midnight City: http://youtu.be/pXm-yyMepBg

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2011 1:07 AM

1:07, if you were one of the people holding up your camera phone, blocking the view of people behind you, YOU were the worst kind of douche in the audience

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2011 9:39 PM

really great to read this post. I enjoyed reding it.

Posted by Robin | November 27, 2011 5:45 AM

Holy shit, you are not going to believe this.

The night M83 played at Webster Hall, I went to pre-game at a couple of bars in advance. At this place, Keybar, I was just taking it easy when I look to my left and I see... someone with a mohawk that looks strangely familiar. I actually thought my eyes were deceiving me and that this COULDN'T be happening. Yep, it was him... Frohawk, right beside me.

I couldn't resist. I had to talk to him. At least to see what would happen (I never called him Frohawk, maybe I missed out on some BV revelation) once I did. He had some skinny, near-anorexic looking guy with glasses and a beard (surprise, surprise!) I asked if he was at the LCD final show(s), and he said he was (in a very effeminate voice). He also said he was friends with the band too, which explained quite a bit. As I finished my drink, he recommended this Kwack beer (which I think was Polish) to me, but I wasn't in a beer drinking mood.

I didn't get to ask him if he was hitting up M83, although I assume he was. I then said goodbye and went on my merry way, still with that feeling not completely sunk in.

(I apologize for the late reply, as I had no internet for 3 weeks.)

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2011 9:41 PM

Holy shit, you are not going to believe this.

Posted by Articles | February 7, 2012 3:39 PM