Posted in music | venues on November 1, 2011

"Spent Bruar Falls' last set spilling whiskey and untangling toilet paper from around my head. Clouder, appropriately spooky, killed it." - Sydney Brownstone

Goodbye @BruarFalls I'll miss you. Parting shot. (Bill Pearis)
Bruar Falls

After announcing its closure exactly a month earlier, Williamsburg music venue Bruar Falls hosted its final show on Halloween, the last night of October. RIP Bruar Falls.

Share your memories in the comments.

This place was awful.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 1:07 PM

Bummer dude. Saw some good shows there. Met some good people. Bartenders were friendly and were always liberal with the booze. C'est la vie.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 1:07 PM

This is exactly like Don Draper.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 1:28 PM

hated the bartenders and generally the people who hung out at the bar and talked over and above the level of the music. good riddance

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 1:29 PM

cool story bro

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 1:40 PM

I remember that time munchkin patrol dingo matilda calculations. Suck me.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 1:44 PM

1:09 seems like great fun!

RIP Bruar. I had some nice times inside you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 1:46 PM

For once, 1:09 may actually not be a case of someone simply trolling. It was a nice space, and had some solid booking, but it definitely suffered from "Cake Shop syndrome", where people at the bar (presumably frequent performers, who rarely paid to get in) just drunkenly made noise because they like the sound of their own voices.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 2:00 PM

Uh, I posted that before the mysterious deletion of 1:09's comment.

Posted by 2:00pm | November 1, 2011 2:01 PM

1:09 had an appointment to go be grumpy somewhere.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 2:05 PM

2:00 pm: You describe every venue in Williamsburg. The w'burg scene only goes out to look at themselves, hear themselves talk, and check their substitute penis, e.g., cellphone, for messages every 10 seconds. I can't even go to gigs anymore in Brooklyn because of the assfucks who populate the area and ruin every single gig with their unending stupid babble. but the ones who wait until the band starts to force their way to the front next to me so they can tell someone on their substitute penis, e.g., cellphone, "They've started playing now!"

Posted by nygrump | November 1, 2011 2:08 PM

2:08 apparently only writes comments so he can make himself laugh by making his "substitute penis" joke twice in one paragraph.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 2:10 PM

wasnt a bad venue, saw some good shows there, and was always into how for most of the shows you could not pay and stay on the bar side of the curtain and still hear everything.

Posted by buu | November 1, 2011 2:11 PM

2:08 has a point, though it always seems far more egregious when that sort of behavior is in a small, ramshackle venue, where you can clearly identify that it's not a paying customer.

At a venue like that, you're watching a musician plead, from the stage, for a drunk "V.I.P." in the crowd, to shut the fuck up. Often, it's someone who should've been cut off hours ago, talking to the fucking bartender.

At least at MHOW or something, you can just scream at some oblivious clod until they get the fucking point. It's not considered part of the ambiance.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 2:27 PM

"I had some nice times inside you."

Something tells me you intentionally put it this way in order for it to be taken out of context.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 2:28 PM

What I always hate about MHOW is that guy who's always screaming at the people sitting at the bar.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 2:32 PM

great venue, RIP! i always thought it was unpretentious and low-key, with consistently good booking, cheap covers and friendly staff. it will be missed (but not by bitchy BV commenters, which is expected and fine).

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 4:25 PM

i stole a roll of toilet paper and i am using it right now.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 4:33 PM

2:32: What? Who is this? I've never had this happen whenever I've been there. And sitting at the bar.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 5:04 PM

I recall this one time at Bruer Falls when some dude wearing a motörhead Tshirt was sitting at the bar drinking pbr.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 5:18 PM

This was the best venue in North Brooklyn. And so convenient to get to from Greenpoint. Bummer.
I like Glasslands, but let's face it, Bruar had a better bar and was legit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2011 6:48 PM

I unfortunately never saw a show at Bruar Falls, but I'm aware that Surfer Blood killin it there in fall 2k09 broke them.

Here's my one Bruar Falls story - I was drunk as fuck in the summer of 2k09 (epic summer), my non-Brooklyn friends were all 'take us to a cool bar in Brooklyn' and I was all 'this place called Bruar Falls just opened we should go there'. It took us a long-ass time to get from the Astoria Beer Garden to Bruar Falls, I was pretty drunk but I believe we arrived at 5am. We tried to enter but the (rightfully) bewildered staff told us the bar was empty and closing and we couldn't come in. We started walking back to the car, one of my buddies screams because he tried pissing on the wall down the street (not out of maliciousness, you know how it is when you're drunk at 5am and need to piss and forget societal norms) and it turns out what he thought was a pile of garbage was actually a (now awake and very peeved) homeless man. He ran the fuck back to the car and we hightailed it out of there, into the night to waste more $ on overpriced mixed drinks in summer 2k09.

#bruarfalls #neverforget

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2011 12:57 AM

Played here 3 times before it closed. Some venues really treat bands like shit, and some venues kiss your ass. Bruar Falls was a down to earth place.

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2011 2:48 PM

GOOD TIMES. GOT PICKED UP BY THE SINGER OF A POPULAR INDIE BAND HERE. HE OFFERED ME A SWEETACTION AND ASKED ME TO GO MAKEOUT WITH HIM UNDER THE WILLIAMSBURG BRIDGE. SAT NIGHT DANCE PARTIES WITH THE WEIRD DJ WERE FUN TOO. RIP BRUAR FALLS

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2011 3:53 PM

I like Glasslands, but let's face it, Bruar had a better bar and was legit.

Posted by Free Ads | February 6, 2012 8:59 AM