Posted in music | pictures on November 23, 2011

photos by Guy Eppel

all the bands @ Shea Stadium
Ted Leo

Ted Leo, Titus Andronicus & the So So Glos got together at all ages, DIY Brooklyn venue She Stadium on Monday night (11/21) to benefit the National Lawyer's Guild who help the Occupy Movement. As you can see from the above pic, the night included some collaboration. There were topical covers too...

Near the end of Titus's set, someone requested a drinking song. "This is not a song about fucking drinking," replied Stickles, agitated. "This is a song about fucking justice." Titus launched into a brash and unsubtle cover of "I Fought the Law," and then invited Ted Leo and So So Glos vocalist Alex Levine to play Billy Bragg's "To Have and To Have Not," the chorus of which was exchanged among the frontmen: "Just because you're better than me/ Doesn't mean I'm lazy/ Just because you're going forwards/ Doesn't mean I'm going backwards."

Ideas about Occupy Wall Street were in the air, foremost among them the political idea of consistency. In occupying a specific location for a lengthy period of time, protesters effectively buried themselves in a national conversation and physically articulated their willingness to stick to their guns. "You know how old I am?" Leo rhetorically asked the crowd. "You know how many marches I've been on? I get home and I feel great and two days later any media presence evaporates." [Village Voice]

More pictures from the show and a video filmed by Patrick Stickles himself, below...

The So So Glos

Ted Leo

Ted Leo

Ted Leo

Ted Leo

Ted Leo

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Rappaport's Testament @ Shea Stadium, 11/21/2011

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists performed at Shea Stadium as part of benefit of the National Lawyer's Guild/Occupy Wall Street. This was on the evening of Monday, November 21st, one week after protestors were forcibly removed from Zuccotti Park.

The song is a cover of 'Rappaport's Testament' by Chumbawamba. The Pharmacists are James Canty and Chris Wilson on bass and drums, respectively.

Video by Patrick Stickles.
Audio by Adam Reich

The other bands were So So Glos and Titus Andronicus.

And Ted is wearing a DC flag shirt. DC statehood now!!!

Posted by BTH | November 23, 2011 11:21 AM

yup, that's an all white ~ 20 yr old male audience for sure. they have a lot to rebel against in occupy wall street. their parents, the money they have, the roofs they sleep under...

gotta love me some fake punk. i mean, the clash were fake punk too, but they didn't make a shitty "concept album" about the civil war. they made london calling!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:21 AM

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:36 AM

One of the best shows. An amazing energy from all three bands.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:43 AM

Anonymous 11:23,

Is there something wrong with being young and white and male? You do understand that punk is a white boy genre, don't you?

So The Clash were fake and everyone at Shea is rich so they should shut up and everyone listen to me because I don't have a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:56 AM

^^^

"punk is a white boy genre"

LOL

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:01 PM

haters gon hate

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:03 PM

Is there anyone with a worse ratio of self-importance to talent than Patrickle Stickles? (other than BV commenters, natch) MOR "punk" rock and 11th grade social justice soapboxing zzzzzz

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:07 PM

Is there even one girl in that venue? I'm so over that little scene.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:08 PM

i'd say bradford cox, but he's actually pretty talented. though his self-importance is a LITTLE worse than stickles

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:09 PM

Well, at least Cox doesn't want to be Hot Water Music.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:20 PM

It's not all White. I see a couple of tokens in the crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:24 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:34 PM

Real Talk:
Hot Water Music?
Overrated Bukowski shtick.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:40 PM

Ok so the Clash are not punk? And Animal Collective is considered good music. Pass. I'd rather listen to the Beach Boys.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:45 PM

No, the clash are FAKE punk, as in they came from semi-wealthy backgrounds and postured about class inequality. they were still one of the greatest bands of all time. like stickles, whose father we now know was a lawyer. and doesn't he live in greenpoint too? his music isn't the quality of the clash's though...

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:47 PM

Some members of the Red Army Faction in Germany came from very wealthy backgrounds, namely Susanna Albricht. I take it, show was a FAKE 'activist' too?!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:52 PM

a different kind of sausage fest

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:57 PM

shouldn't type so fast...

Some members of the Red Army Faction in Germany came from very wealthy backgrounds, namely Susanne Albricht. I take it, she was a FAKE 'activist' too?!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 12:58 PM

LOLZOGNA. #occupymsgdecember31

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 1:02 PM

ad ho·mi·nem adj \(ˈ)ad-ˈhä-mə-ˌnem, -nəm\

Definition of AD HOMINEM

: appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect
: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

Posted by Kendall | November 23, 2011 1:22 PM

hipster sausage fest

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 1:26 PM

this looks like just such a giant huge piece of garbage

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 1:33 PM

lots of ladies in the house! lots of good will in the house! One of the kindest crowds at a punk show ever. A guy even wiped the nasty toilet seat and put it down for my lady friend when he was done peeing. It was a great night put on my great people. All the money went to defending those who don't have the money to defend themselves --> really capturing the true spirit of what community can be. I hope this kind of spirit continues, and that punk/indie gets it's soul back from Converse and all the other TMs out there who have been corrupting it from within for the past ten years.

Posted by emily | November 23, 2011 1:37 PM

if more people from middle or upper class backgrounds cared about income inequality then there wouldn't be any!

Posted by elizabeth | November 23, 2011 1:40 PM

^^^

emily, probably patrick stickles gf? how else would there be a positive account of a woman's experience at a TA show?

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 1:43 PM

"Fuck Occupy Wall St...I'm glad someone brought the severe economic inequalities in this country to light, but any interaction I had with this group was predominantly ruined by assholes. I'm sure that there are plenty of sincere people working for this movement, but my interactions with many of them left a bad taste in my mouth. The extreme left is just as bad as the extreme right."

What's worse: "entitled" white men at a show/zucotti park or ENTITLED white men who bring down a global economy through arrogance and greed and are not held accountable by anyone, including their friends in the white house?

Context is helpful.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 1:46 PM

Let's see, to be not fake punk you have to be born poor. To be authentic blues you have to be born poor or you'll be called out. To be real rock and roll, poor. To be authentic hip-hop, you have to be poor. I guess the only thing rich kids can play is classical music.
Or American Idol.

In fact, unless you're poor, you're really not an authentic person.

#middle class hipster thinking.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 1:52 PM

I am part of the 1% of hipsters that does not like hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 1:57 PM

"so so glos are like the sad strokes hangover that still hasn't died for some reason, middling around in the year 2011 (ITI came out in 2001). also, how could the strokes look so cool dressing the way they do and the so so glos look so incredibly lame?"

I think that the So So Glos are one of the best current rock bands in NYC today. Nothing ground breaking, just a good rocking sound. Reminds me a bit of Hanoi Rocks sometimes, without the glam.

I don't think they dress the same as the Strokes. Most Strokes songs sound the same, while the SSG are slightly more diverse.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:01 PM

The So So Glos are so lame it's almost impressive how shitty they are.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:02 PM

Hate all you want. This concert raised $3500 dollars for the National Lawyers Guild. It already happened. This was a success. The holier-than-thou pricks can say all they want. It's too late for it to mean anything now.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:11 PM

Occupy a shower, maybe??

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:13 PM

um... isnt shea stadium, like an actual stadium? this looks like someone's basement.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:15 PM

Remember when 2000s indie rock wasn't a bunch if pseudo intellectual liberals spewing college professor rhetoric when most of these people have never actually had to provide for a family, and have no idea how damaging high taxes, etc. are?

Oh wait, that never happened, because indie rockers have always been self obsessed fools.

Love the music, hate the people.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:20 PM

"Guys, I know how we can make a difference. Lets go out there and rock these people SO HARD, that they tell their friends. Then we can rock THEM hard! Then, we can rock the world so hard that we make it change!"

Yeah, that seems to work REAL well...

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:25 PM

Occupy pickles

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:25 PM

douchebag indie rock!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:32 PM

lol does anybody remember laughter lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:35 PM

did you all catch patrick pickle's girlfriend's post here?

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:38 PM

Shut up Emily.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:39 PM

where is darren mabee? patrick pickle tickles my sickle with his beard. original cover of "i fought the law" that is EPCOT. nitrous mafia!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 2:54 PM

so so glos are so goddamn boring and inoffensive.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 3:13 PM

shea da best

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 3:23 PM

Shitty, shitty bands. Shitty, shitty comments. Awesome cause. I am torn. Right-wingers are stupid. Indie rock gets dumber every year. Brooklyn somehow gets more filled with douchebags, and the quality of BV comments is plummetting to unimaginable levels of crap. There is so much fail here. But $3500 for the lawyers' guild is a great day's work.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 3:29 PM

Let's all stop using "fail".

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 3:32 PM

cockupie ball st

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 3:41 PM

what happened to the $500,000 that occupy wall street raised?

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 4:39 PM

I don't support occupy wall street, but how can you bash people that came together and raised $3500 for a cause they support? Some people prefer action to "anonymous messageboard shit talking." Besides that, every single person in those three bands is genuinely nice, and cared about the cause.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 4:45 PM

It's nice to see the camaraderie among these guys but it would be nice to see them or someone in OWS crowd say it needs to be more pointed in what they say or content. Then again they, OWS are not financed by fortune 500 Koch co.front companies then act as though they are grass roots like the Tea Party.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 4:55 PM

OWS has lost all credibility with all but the far left and the misinformed. This event is like the serfs gathered to see the emperor come riding by in his new clothes. Those poor serfs.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 5:11 PM

You're right. Sitting there and doing nothing is the best thing. No one will criticize you for that.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 5:38 PM

I love these idiot twats that set up this straw man argument constructed to be that if you do not subscribe to the OWS phantom agenda then you are "sitting there and doing nothing".

Life is a little more complex than that, little man. Once you get out of BMCC and away from mommy and daddy you may learn this. But first, do us all a favor and take a shower, mkay?

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 6:42 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 7:42 PM

FILL YOUR HEAD WITH KNOWLEDGE INSTEAD OF SLOGANS

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 7:47 PM

I look at that crowd and all I can think after sizing them up is "start your revolution, please!" I have such warm and fuzzy memories of mercilessly pelting fey little dweebs like them in dodgeball. And I'm not just talking with the big red rubber ball that kinda stings; even after we switched to the fuzzy yellow ball for the protection of underdeveloped beta males, these poor lads still got blown off their feet all over the gym. Viva la revolucion!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 7:56 PM

I predict ...
it will come to pass, very soon, where the "revolutionaries" will rue the day that they sought to let this genie out of the bottle, when it turns with pain and finality upon them.
don't be surprised if when you keep poking the sleeping bear it awakens and visits ill intent upon you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:03 PM

"FILL YOUR HEAD WITH KNOWLEDGE" is something only an earnest but really stupid person says. I don't even have to click on the link or know what point of view you're espousing to be certain that you be an idjit!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:04 PM

Yes, do carry your triumphant dodgeball memories into adulthood with you. They're the high point of your life.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:05 PM

You love telling yourself things like that, dontcha 8:05. Note that here we are, in adulthood, and you're still an outsider. A loser. An aggrieved dancing monkey.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:14 PM

The Clash played the real Shea Stadium...

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:15 PM

Ball dodged, 8:14.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:17 PM

I doubt that, 8:17.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:23 PM

I mean, it was pretty close. It clipped my shirt on the way by. But that doesn't count, I say. Doesn't count!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:27 PM

lol 8:05 gets bitchslapped by 7:58 lol own that hurt lol can i go change now lol lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:41 PM

"Bitchslapped"? Who gave you permission to stray from the dodgeball analogy, you jabbering fuck? Dodgeball is what we're doing. This is dodgeball.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 8:52 PM

lol i don't subscribe to your pointless rules lol or your bullshit movement lol lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 9:04 PM

Ha
Bitchslapped
as in SLAPPED LIKE A BITCH
True, True

SMACK!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 9:05 PM

The dodgeball match will not be televised.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 9:13 PM

I don't recognize your bullshit MC

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 9:17 PM

lol why don't you go back to Queans lol lol lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 9:23 PM

I can never get the half a minute that it took me to read the last 15 posts back. K thx.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 9:33 PM

sure you can, here's your half minute back, you're welcome!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 10:30 PM

People don't get bitchslapped anymore- they get pepper sprayed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 10:34 PM

Pepper spray is how one humanely bitchslaps weaklings in this day and age. The truly evolved and enlightened individual resists getting physical with people who have limbs that can easily pop out like Mr. Potato Head pieces.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:03 PM

Straw Man!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:05 PM

I just realized the dodgeball bully is gay but he doesn't know it. It's okay, dude, you can come out. Poor thing. We'll still like you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2011 11:45 PM

That's an interesting theory you have there, 11:45. The reason sports/games were invented to begin with was to channel the human, or dare I say natural animal urge to dominate and win into something relatively harmless. What exactly would be the evolutionary purpose of the strong and coordinated being wired for homosexuality rather than the weak and effeminate such as yourself?

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 12:20 AM

Can't we all just make peace and eat hummus?

Posted by Sam | November 24, 2011 2:20 AM

What she order? Fish filet?

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 5:34 AM

^ no. She actually ordered a hummus platter.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 8:05 AM

I put hummus in my fillet-o-fish sammiches. Spectacular doesn't begin to characterize the taste sensation that is fried scrod with a dollop of the ol' pate du chick pea.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 8:39 AM

^ I made that sammich for you. you go on continuing to think that was hummus and tsatsiki, you'll sleep better that way

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 8:43 AM

12:20, I'm not quite sure either what the evolutionary purpose would be of the strong and coordinated being wired for homosexuality. Why don't you ask Jerry Sandusky. Maybe he knows.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 9:05 AM

What's a homophobic jock doing on a vegan rock blog?

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 9:44 AM

What's a feckless Nancy doing breathing my air?

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 9:51 AM

lol dodgeball guy meme lol lol pussy ball fight lol 9:05 ftw lol see you at the bowl lol lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 10:02 AM

Gee, 9:05. I guess you missed the constant memos from leftlandia that pedophilia has nothing to do with homosexuality. Can't you squids keep on the same page about anything?

As to the idiot at 9:44, I'm not homophobic at all. You may want to consult your fellow moron at 11:45 who likes to call people gay though. He desperately wants to believe that everyone thought he was a pussy in high school because his class was 70% closeted gays.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 10:06 AM

No one calls Brooklyn Bowl "the bowl", you child.
That is, no one that actually lives in NYC and is old enough to drink.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 10:36 AM

lol 9:44 proud graduate of harvey milk high lol lets go pussies lets go lol lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 10:39 AM

I call the porcelain thing in my bathroom "the bowl." Really. I do. But it's not in Brooklyn, so never mind.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 10:54 AM

Sometimes I refer to my hummus platter as "the bowl". It's actually a regional slang term here in my area.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 3:55 PM

HEY LOOK! Jack Terricloth.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2011 9:14 PM

yous all privileged white frat boys screaming "hipster!" and "hummus!" at eachother. Funny! (sort of) When I see something other than the above crowd in the video I'll take OWS more seriously. Anyway, the true definition of a hipster I've come to believe is someone who lives in Williamsburg. This is a prerequisite.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2011 1:35 AM

bv commenters are the 1 percent!

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2011 8:54 AM

Hey 1:35 AM - When you learn to read well enough to understand that this wasn't at OWS, I'll take YOU more seriously. Go down there and you'll see a lot of different types of people.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2011 10:21 AM

lol 10:36 lol learn your memes, pussy lol lol

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2011 10:53 AM

That crowd has the general essence of OWS. A little light on the vagina warriors and geriatric hippies, but this is your revolution's muscle! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2011 11:17 AM

10:21 - Where did I say this was at OWS? I've been down there. Some nice people, some real a-holes who seemed to think they were celebrities. Why the heck would you take me seriously? I wasn't being serious! Jeez, lighten up, for God's sake!

But, on a serious note, the vast majority ARE white. Figure out a way to touch the hearts of working class people of color who will NOT risk losing whatever lousy jobs they may have to camp out in a tent on the street.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2011 2:31 PM

cool, they are so passion ..

Posted by alex | November 27, 2011 5:44 AM

so so girls

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2011 8:11 AM

HEY LOOK! Jack Terricloth.

Posted by Engadget | January 12, 2012 8:58 AM