Posted in music on December 1, 2011

Dawes & Jackson Browne @ Zuccotti Park today (photo via ATO)
Dawes

A picture from this afternoon's festivities above. A video from that, and a video of Dawes playing a recent AV Club Holiday Undercover session, below...

DAWES @ AV UNDERCOVER

Vince Guaraldi's jazzy holiday ballad "Christmas Time Is Here" might initially seem like an odd choice for the L.A. folk-band Dawes, but the guys were looking to challenge themselves with some "weird chords" and such. The original version will be instantly familiar to those who make viewings of A Charlie Brown Christmas an annual tradition. (Fans of Arrested Development will probably recognize the song as George Michael Bluth's "sad" music.) It's one of the prettiest of all holiday standards, and Dawes took the song head on, with a cover that's faithful to Guaraldi's theme and its tear-jerking emotional core. [AV Club]
AND today in NYC:

Watch live streaming video from occupywallstnyc at livestream.com

Dawes has NEVER released an independent album, and currently records for Sony. How about occupying your own career assholes?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:44 PM

lemme guess...jackson browne has a new record out or about to come out and is getting ready to tour...am i right?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:45 PM

Wrong. Dawes currently records for ATO which is distributed by Sony. There is a difference.

Posted by Correcting the guy above me | December 1, 2011 2:47 PM

Nope, ATO is a division of RCA which is owned by Sony. If Ian Mackaye has something to say I'll listen, but these sanctimonious hypocrites can fuck right off.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:50 PM

Dawes are super cheesy and lame. Not cool.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:54 PM

Let me see if I have this straight, anybody who in any way has any connection to any corporate entity, is not allowed to protest coprorate greed? Is that how it works? I'd say some BV posters should probably take a good hard look at Jackson Browne's career, what his songs are about, and his record of activism, and then let us know what you have done in your life other than sit behind a keyboard criticizing artists and telling us which women you want to fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:54 PM

Hummus time is here
Tastiness with beer
Dip for all that hipsters call
Their favorite time of the year

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:55 PM

2:54 - yup, that's right. It would be hypocrisy otherwise. Not surprised that you don't see that, since the left has forever picked and chosen facts and lies alike to support their positions "by any means necessary"

Now, go play in traffic until dinner time

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:57 PM

also, while you guys are taking that good hard look, please notice the amount of suckage in jackson browne's music. it's a bit folky and dated, but definitely discernible.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:57 PM

2:50 you are incorrect, ATO is not part of RCA.

They had a temporary joint venture deal in the early 00's, hence your confusion.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:59 PM

2:54 how can you protest the business practices of entities like the one you are in business with and profiting from? This whole thing was show business nonsense.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:59 PM

Ok 2:57. You're right. Everybody's a hypocrite but you, and those who disagree with you are obviously left wingers. Since you stand for nothing, I guess you can never be accused of being a hypocrite. Keep on preaching it on BV.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 2:59 PM

Jackson Browne was great a bit before The Cure was great. Jackson Browne has been sucking since before The Cure started sucking.

Ergo, Jackson Browne has been sucking a long time. Sorry hippies, it's the truth.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:01 PM

Yea 2:54, you can't protest against something that you directly benefit from without being a hypocrite.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:01 PM

I had no idea Jackson Browne was the CEO of RCA and/or SONY, nor did I realize that artists whose works are distributed by corporations lost their 1st Amendment rights when they allowed their work to be distributed by a corportaion. It must be a very short list of artists who are allowed to exercise their free speech rights then. Please tell us how Ian McKaye is the only one out there who is allowed to speak up. You'd probably say Billy Bragg and Joe Strummer, if he were alive, also have no credibility . . . . What a wanker.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:03 PM

3:03 do you know anything about music history regarding labels. do you understand why independent labels were created in the 70s as an answer to the problem of corporate-run labels? i'm fine with artists who run their own independent labels playing these protest events, but WHEN ARTISTS DIRECTLY FUNDED BY CORPORATE RECORD LABELS ARE PLAYING A PROTEST ABOUT CORPORATE GREED, THEN THEY ARE FULL OF SHIT!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:05 PM

Can we at least all agree that Dawes and Jackson Browne have been putting out crap music?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:05 PM

2:59, one of these days you are going to run out of straw from all these straw men arguments that you keep building. The problem is that you are not that bright, so the arguments are really like fish in a barrel to spot and dismiss.

You should really do a little more interacting with human beings, especially ones that disagree with your point of view. It'll be hard for you at first, but once you get your head a little ways out of your ass you will realize that being wrong is the beginning of growth.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:05 PM

Right wing strawman #1: Whatever this artist says is hypocritical because he distributes music through a corporation.

Right wing strawman #2: This artist is only doing this to get attention for an upcoming album or tour.

Right wing strawman #3: This artist's music sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:05 PM

3:05 I heavily lean toward the left and I posted one of the above comments supporting 2:57

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:06 PM

3:05 -- yeah, ok, you know everything.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:06 PM

LOL 3:05
You are a twat, projecting onto others that which you yourself don't even see yourslef doing. No soup for you!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:07 PM

Wait, I'm confused ... what are we against on this thread again?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:08 PM

There are 4 x 3:05's

You posters need to be a little bit more clear which 3:05 you are ridiculing.

Posted by The Management | December 1, 2011 3:09 PM

3:03 they can do whatever they want to, but it comes across as self serving, insincere, and hypocritical. Change starts at home. It pretty ridiculous to try and get others to change their business practices, when you don't change your own.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:11 PM

I am still waiting for 3:07's list of artists he or she believes have the credibility to protest corporate greed . . . . But, yeah, I am a twat.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:11 PM

Hey hipsters, shut up.

The real question is: where's the video of Third Eye Blind? Those guys fucking rule.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:12 PM

seriously, get your shit together you fucking hippies!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:14 PM

I'm 3:07, and I don't feel compelled to address professed twats. Not unless I'm about to jam my junk in that dirty joint.

Is that what you want, big boy?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:14 PM

Can somebody please tell me exactly what Jackson Browne has done wrong here other than (in the past) make some pretty good music and figure out a way to make money doing it? I suppose he should have released his music on Dischord or started his own label? Is Bruce Springsteen also not allowed to go down to the protest since he has been on major labels? What about Bob Dylan? Not allowed, right? I mean, he only wrote some of the best protest songs ever, but he also made alot of money on majors, so no credibility, right? I am still waiting for the list of approved artists.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:15 PM

Age of Quarrel...

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:15 PM

wow. you guys are dumb.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:16 PM

Yes, 3:07, everybody wants to be raped by a clever guy like you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:17 PM

Everyone STOP! Don't you realize that Altered Zones is gone? How can you be fighting at a time like this?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:17 PM

Is Neil Young on the approved list or has he been distributed by a major?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:17 PM

I just heard the Dawes song "When My Time Comes" in a commercial for the TV show Pawn Stars. So indie.

Your time has come (and gone).

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:18 PM

Corporate greed? ...

I thought this was about the banks? ....

Or Wall Street? ....

You see, that's the thing about not having an actual point to what you are protesting - you get to change it and make it up as you go along.

I am in the 99% that have had just about enough of these shenanigans. You have lost the street, and soon you will be freezing your asses off on Randall's Island along with the other vagrants. Happy Holidays!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:18 PM

I'll take it a step further. Anyone who is in show-business can shut the fuck up. not interested in hearing from them about anything political.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:19 PM

3:17 - somebody get Jah Rule and help me make some sense of all dis!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:19 PM

WHERE THE FUCK IS JAH RULE?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:21 PM

Ja Rule is in jail

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:22 PM

I LOVE DAWES

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:22 PM

Third Eye Blind charges something absurd like 60k a performance. That's some greed right there....

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:23 PM

Dawes and Third Eye Blind, newly minted radicals. Please. OWS is now a marketing strategy. Your 'movement' has been co-opted and you don't even realize it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:25 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:25 PM

Most people rely upon corporations in one way or another. That shouldn't preclude them from voicing their opinion that things are getting out of hand (e.g. some corporations could stand to be less greedy and consider the ramifications of their business practices). Who is saying it has to be all or nothing? Fender is a corporation, maybe you think these guys should start making their own guitars too.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:31 PM

3:31 wrote "some corporations could stand to be less greedy and consider the ramifications of their business practice"

if that's true, don't work for them. There are PLENTY of musicians that don't. Taking money from the system (in Dawes case, at least Sony & Chevrolet) and then turning around and participating in a movement against the very things you are profiting from isn't only self-serving and hypocritical, it's a slap in the face to all musicians who DO work outside of the system.

Fuck Dawes and 3EB. I don't agree with the politics of OWS in general, but I can at least respect REAL radicals who walk it like they talk it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:39 PM

yea, just have - i don't know - ANY band/musician who releases on an independent label. just a thought. still waiting for that to happen.

and no, the drum circles don't count.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:41 PM

"and no, the drum circles don't count"
*** FTW ***

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:42 PM

I thought OWS was more about the bank bailouts. If Dawes did a commercial for Bank Of America then we might have a problem.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:47 PM

Can we get a petition going to get Vincent Gallo back to NYC? we need him now more than ever.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:47 PM

Can't we just bomb that area already?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:49 PM

2nd 3:47: What do you suggest he do?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:54 PM

Tim Tebow will save us all.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:54 PM

Jackson Browne does Charlie Brown
.... this shit is writing itself

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:54 PM

'Late For The Sky' is one of the greatest records EVER made. period.

Show the man some freakin respect!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:56 PM

L.A. folk-band
.... this shit is writing itself

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 3:57 PM

Jackson Browne, he's that new indie music sensation, right? I hear he'll be at the Cake Shop this Saturday.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 4:00 PM

I just purchased a Chevy Silverado because the Dawes song "When My Time Comes" is used in it.

I'm cool.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 4:00 PM

if you don't think some label manager/PR person organized this 'appearance' you're dumb. It's better than Letterman right now.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 4:04 PM

4:00 (1): Ask him to dedicate one of his songs to his late wife.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 4:12 PM

347, OWS is about everything/nothing at the same time, therefore making it pointless. people are slowly starting to realize that.

they fucking protested Obama's fundraising dinner last night.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 4:23 PM

4:23 - that's because they couldn't afford to get in. If it was free, they would have left Zuccinni Park to attend in force, amirite!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 4:34 PM

trying to remove yourself from any connection to corporate America in the 21st Century is a tricky proposition, or possibly impossible unless you are a home schooled hermit or loner living on a farm in Appalachia who never communicates with the outside world.

If you removed any connection to supporting Corporate America from the protesters you would be left with no one.

Every time you use a telephone, or send an email to spread your message or pick up a pen and cardboard to write you protest poster, or eat ANYTHING, (yes, and that includes Vegan) you are somehow supporting some aspect of Corporate America.

It's all ties together at this point folks, so using Corporate products or services in 21st Century America does not exclude you from the right to protest against it, nor does it make you a hypocrite.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 5:10 PM

4:34 untrue, I know several 99%ers that were in attendance at the Sheraton for the fundraising dinner. You didn't have to buy your way in; some were invited to the event and did not have to contribute funds. Granted these were unwealthy people of great influence.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 5:13 PM

Jackson Browne's hair is exactly the same as it was in 1979.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 5:18 PM

THE NOT SO GREAT PRETENDER.

With all the other not so great pretenders.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 5:27 PM

5:10 nice us of the euphemism 'connection'. Dawes WORKS for Sony.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 5:27 PM

We need order on here.

Mic check...
I propose...
That we propose...
To propose...
A general assembly...
It should be...
A great...
Waste of time...
Anyone opposed...
To the proposal?

Occupymynuts losers.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 5:32 PM

This is why I really respect a band like Fugazi even though I don't like their music very much. They walk the fucking walk. Most leftists that I know live their lives with roughly the same adherence to their so-called beliefs as a gay bashing social conservative who trolls for cock in restrooms.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 5:34 PM

Fugazi? I typically just listen to bands whose music I like. Unless something crazy, I couldn't care less how the music is packaged and sold.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 5:46 PM

i'm confused, where's radiohead?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 6:04 PM

I don't listen to Fugazi at all, 5:46. They only came to mind because they were discussed here recently and I respect them for at least living by their convictions - unlike most lefties. But I agree, people who base their musical tastes on anything but the music itself make me laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 6:20 PM

It should really be legal to kick some guys in the dick. Most notably some of the people who comment on here. Although, some of them probably have those weird dicks that are like 1 inch long.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 6:28 PM

Jackson Brown nosin' for downloads.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 6:31 PM

Right wingers are only allowed to opine on Ted Nugent or Toby Keith

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 6:40 PM

I'll opine whenever the fuck I feel like it, shitbird.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 6:51 PM

jackson brown wears a wig

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 7:14 PM

6:40 Toby Keith has publicly said he voted for Obama in the last election.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 7:45 PM

I guess Toby fell for that "Hopey Changey" nonsense like so many others.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 7:52 PM

I liked the cut of Obama's jib. I should have known that a dude that had never held a full-time adult job for a prolonged period of time would be a worthless and lazy sack of shit as president.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 8:23 PM

Right wingers are funny, mainly because they often times have such an INSANE case of cognitive dissonance about anything and everything that they turn into raving lunatics.

I'm convinced that if OWS released a statement that said it's core goal was to cut gov't spending, just like the Tea Party, the right would still go out of their way to make fun of the dirty hippies and lazy scum and trust-fund babies etc etc.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 9:11 PM

^ YES! WE WOULD! FUCK HIPPIES!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 9:16 PM

I know I'm right, you don't have to prove it here.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 9:18 PM

I can deal with trust-fund babies who throw good parties and invite me to them.

Hippies? Scourge of the earth.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 9:19 PM

What if it was a trust fund faux-hippy?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 9:20 PM

I hate everything about hippies. I even hate prep school Republican pseudo-hippies who play hacky sack, smoke too much dope and listen to Phish. I don't mind hipsters all that much though. I mean, given my particular artistic interests, I'd probably be characterized as one myself even though I don't go out of my way to be perceived as one.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 10:28 PM

By the way, 9:11, I think your head lice is eating into your cerebral cortex.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 10:34 PM

I'm actually an upper middle class white guy with a good job who showers daily, sometimes even twice! But nice try on the lice insult.

And way to refute my argument, too. Oh wait...

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 10:50 PM

Refute your argument? I essentially confirmed that we'd still make fun of you. So did at least one other person. Evidently that upper middle class pedigree - as though that's a novelty in the loser brigade - did precious little for your reading comprehension abilities.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 10:58 PM

"prep school Republican pseudo-hippies who play hacky sack, smoke too much dope and listen to Phish"

I won't even point out that kids in prep school smoking dope playing hacky sack and listening to Phish could give a flying fuck about Republicans or Democrats or any political bullshit.

In this way, they are miles ahead of the kids in ows smoking dope playing hacky sack and listening to Mancum et al.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 11:10 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha

Silly White Liberals

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 11:12 PM

Yea, that was my point, moron. You proved that republicans are brainwashed fucking idiots who would rather sling insults to prove manhood, because god knows your little cocks can't do it, than use rational thought to solve or even discuss problems.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 11:19 PM

You got me, 11:19. Brainwashing. Small cock. Absence of rational thought.

You're good at this.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 11:27 PM

My gosh, I should just book some space at Javits and hold a seminar for some of you idiots that can't troll their way out of a paper bag.

Case in point, 11:19.

Kiddo, you are so labored and transparent in your attempt to provoke a reaction that you are coming off like the geeky guy with the high water pants who reeeeeeeealy want Suzy to know that if she wants to talk it's OK cause he'll listen. Idjit, you need to learn subtlety.

I can't even tell who you are directing your irrational anger at by reading through your post. That is beyond lame, and makes you come off like an complete imbecile. Now, I'm sure that this is not true - you are probably not a complete imbecile. But, you are unbalanced and you do lack the clarity to form a valid argument. And all of this while accusing others of the same.

That, my son, is called projection -- and keep that up and it won't be the neck tattoo that gets you fired from Arby's.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 11:28 PM

11:28 wrote 'Kiddo', lulz...

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 11:37 PM

11:27 is mad that 11:28 stole his favorite Barbie.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 11:38 PM

11:27, Thanks! Appreciate the compliment!

11:28, Actually, dad, my valid argument was in my first post. Cognitive Dissonance and Republicans. The rest was just responding to your hilarious insults.

So, yea, sorry pops, junior here will just go get his neck tat removed, take out my ear spacers and lip ring, cut my dreads and shave my ironic mustache because I definitely have all that...

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 11:42 PM

LOL. 11:42 thinks asserting that people have cognitive dissonance is an argument. I must reiterate that you're awfully good at this stuff. No homo, but your white hot intellect is kind of getting me hard.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2011 11:50 PM

Asserting republicans have INSANE CD, as I hyperbolized in my first post, is certainly an argument in talking about blind hate towards OWS. Is it some end-all hypothesis that will bring about political harmony? Of course, not, but it's still an argument, which was proven as you yourself said.

Obviously everyone has it, but in my experience, the left would much rather gloat and say "I told you so, I was right" than continue calling people names. Still a bad form of pride, but I'll take a self-righteous hipster/hippy over an angry, fat, balding bro still holding onto his high school football glory days any day of the week.

Also, do you have that gay app? I can be in Union Square in about 10, let's meet up!

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2011 12:14 AM

11:19/11:42/12:14 -
I take it back. You are a total imbecile. Believe it or not, not everyone that disagrees with you is an evil republican. Some of us are sick and tired of being misrepresented by people that are not that bright and don't even know how to troll well. Logic - to you, from your ranting - seems just like that puzzle your handlers at OWS put in front of you with the bananas in the tree trunk.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2011 10:14 AM

Thanks Jackson for lending your support to OWS.You spoke of these inequalities back in the 80's and 90's. People should listen to the truths you attempt to find.The song Looking East should be the theme song for this movement. The haters will hate as they did the rebel Jesus.

Posted by Michael | December 2, 2011 10:32 AM

Jackson Browne sang about lawyers in love.
/eot

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2011 10:54 AM

"A conservative is a stupid man's idea of a smart person"

-Lord Bendover

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2011 11:09 AM

Sweet Jeebus. I'm not even entirely convinced that 12:14 knows what cognitive dissonance means. Most of my liberal friends are embarrassed by what OWS has been. Does he actually think that it's right wingers who are running it out of overwhelmingly liberal enclaves?

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2011 11:17 AM

That'll show those bankers!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2011 11:34 AM

I think the real question is:

Why was his hand bandaged if he got bit by a dog like two months ago?

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2011 1:25 PM

Who's Dawes again?

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2011 3:34 PM

"A leftist is a smart man's idea of a stupid person." Marshal Goldwater.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 9:26 PM

OWS will not even get a footnote in the history books. The Summer Of Love will hold greater weight, 'cause those hippies knew how to party. These ass clowns, well they just smelled bad and drove mom and pop businesses into bankruptcy. ¡Viva la Revolución!

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 9:48 PM