Posted in comedy | music on December 27, 2011

Ira

It's got to be kind of hard to find someone to open for you on Christmas. Maybe that's what led to Dump, the other project of Yo La Tengo's James McNew, opening for Yo La Tengo at Maxwell's on Sunday, December 25th (Hanukkah, night 6). Maybe Dump's recent show at Spike Hill was scheduled as a warm-up.

Yo La Tengo is keeping a diary. Their friend Kelly Reichardt writes:

Dump is on the stage. I know, I know, this reporter is asking herself the same question. How in the world did Yo La Tengo get Dump to play their Christmas night show? I guess everybody in this business has connections. In any case, it's our good fortune and listening from my perch I forget all about my duties and just let myself get lost in the music (not in any kind of freaky arm-waving way, but just in a quiet-inside way). I'm in my zone. Enjoying myself along with everyone else in the room. It's somewhere in the middle of the Prince cover tune, "Another Lonely Christmas" that the older, more disgruntled looking red-shirt-wearing door guy makes a beeline over to me. He's shouting something I can't make out, but I can clearly read his lips as he keeps repeating YOU SURE LOOK GOOD TONIGHT KELLY! I finally lean closer and take out the earplugs and it turns out what he is actually yelling in my face is YOU CAN'T STAND ON THAT STOOL!
Comedian Kurt Braunhohler, who will return to the Hoboken venue to open for Ted Leo, also opened the Christmas show. Tara Key and Rachel Blumberg were the other special guests that night. Full setlist HERE.

Last night, night 7, Kurt Vile & the Violators and Leo Allen opened. Dave Schramm played guitar with Yo La Tengo, and Peter Stampfel also joined the band. Full setlist HERE.

Tonight, 12/27, is the final night of Hanukkah 2011. Who do you think the openers will be? I bet James McNew (not to mention the rest of Yo La Tengo) would be excited if it were the Feelies.

Browse the Yo La Tengo tag for more.

Thom York w/ Louis CK

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 11:38 AM

BV basically just said it was the Feelies. so all that's left is the comedian, who won't be Louis CK.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 11:40 AM

Bruce Springsteen & Andrew Dice Clay

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 11:41 AM

Jerry Seinfeld and Gwar

Posted by me (!) | December 27, 2011 11:45 AM

I saw that chick get kicked off the stool. It was funny.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 11:47 AM

Didn't Marc Maron say on stage last week he was doing one of these shows? If so, I think we solved the mystery...

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 11:51 AM

Last night's show was great

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 12:03 PM

Kurt Vile is a big drone.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 12:15 PM

SOCIETY IS MY FRIEND!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 12:23 PM

Weakest line up for these shows in years!

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 12:29 PM

i just dumped a load

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 12:30 PM

Nope, not the Feelies tonight. The Trypes (a Feelies side project) are opening.

Posted by BTH | December 27, 2011 12:31 PM

these openers have sucked this year

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 12:45 PM

WTF 12:45? They have been great! YLT may have gotten some big names last year (Jeff Tweedy, Bonnie Prince Billy, National), but that is not what these shows are about. Trypes, Glands, Pussy Galore, Lee Renaldo, etc.. THAT is what the YLT Hannukah shows are about. Plus, I fucking HATE the National.

Posted by BTH | December 27, 2011 12:50 PM

I wish YLT would stop leaning on the Feelies/Antiem for supporting roles. Overdone. Pussy Galore was an amazing addition.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 12:51 PM

pussy galore, glands, kurt vile...thats pretty amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 12:53 PM

Kurt Vile plays locally all the time. Not really exciting. And I agree, the National suck (last good album was Alligator).

One night to go and they still have not played BLS. I guess Ira needs to be in top form. They did play "The Story of Yo La Tango", but an alternate version.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 1:12 PM

12:51 at least check your spelling. The Battle of Antietam is a fairly consequential part of Civil War history. YLT "leans" on The Feelies and Antietam, at least, because they're actually friends with them. They're not scene friends, they're real friends, and have been so for over thirty years.

Also, The Trypes, who are playing tonight, are not a Feelies spin-off or side project. They do share members with the Feelies, yet, The Trypes formed while the latter was not in existence.

Posted by anonymous fuck | December 27, 2011 1:22 PM

These shows have all been amazing. Anyone who says otherwise simply wasn't there.

Also, stating that KV plays locally all the time and is therefore "not really exciting" is completely idiotic. First of all, he hasn't played a venue this size in over a year and a half. And second of all, he's incredible - we're lucky he makes it through NYC as often as he does.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 1:36 PM

"Also, the comedian tonight is not any of those who've been mentioned. I know, but will not be saying."

Who cares about the comedian anyways.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 1:38 PM

the entire cast of entourage performing a staged reading of the series finale.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 1:42 PM

Kurt Vile was indeed excellent. He's played NYC two other times this year, at Bowery in June and Webster in Oct.
Adam from War On Drugs was on guitar as part of the Violators and it may have been his last gig with the band.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 2:08 PM

"The Trypes, who are playing tonight, are not a Feelies spin-off or side project"

OK, fine... To be technical, The Trypes were a proto-version of Speed The Plough. Is that an accurate enough description?

Posted by BTH | December 27, 2011 2:12 PM

Since no one cares about Antietam as a band, why should we care about them when they play with YLT?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 2:13 PM

"He's played NYC two other times this year, at Bowery in June and Webster in Oct."

Also opened up for Sonic Youth.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 2:23 PM

Also opened up for J Mascis at Mercury Lounge

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 2:39 PM

@1:22, relax with the facts, man. You're citing Civil War history in the BV comments without an ounce of irony. You're like your own Portlandia sketch.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 6:05 PM

Here are videos from last night's YLT show: http://www.youtube.com/user/citybug?feature=mhee

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 7:11 PM

Here's your irony: fuck irony, spelling counts. Also, blow me.

Posted by anonymous fuck | December 27, 2011 7:12 PM

My feelings are hurt.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2011 7:32 PM

Your teeth hurt.

Posted by anonymous fuck | December 27, 2011 9:52 PM

My wrist is hurt from dipping pita triangles all afternoon.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2011 2:39 AM