Posted in music | pictures on December 15, 2011

photos by Chris La Putt

Jim James belts it out (with a bomb on his belt) @ Madison Square Garden
My Morning Jacket

"When My Morning Jacket first arrived on the scene, they were unique to the point of grand intrigue for many people, and over the years, they have always made records that have a context that reflects the time and place where they are. They've built up a reputation for being premiere performers, and everyone from Pearl Jam to Metallica has sung their praises. Personally speaking, they've been the only band in recent memory that can record tender acoustic love songs, and then go out on tour with the Foo Fighters--giving Dave Grohl and company a run for their money. It's a great testament to My Morning Jacket's commitment to the music, and they are humble and appreciative about the success they have achieved thus far." [Aquarian]
My Morning Jacket headlined Madison Square Garden in NYC last night (12/14). Band of Horses opened the big show and returned to the stage to help MMJ perform the final song of the night, "I'll Be Home For Christmas". Video of that moment with more pictures of the MSG show and MMJ's setlist, below...

Black Metal @ MSG

My Morning Jacket

Band of Horses (photo by googlephonics)
Boh

MMJ

My Morning Jacket & BOH - Ill Be Home For Christmas - 12.14.11 Madison Square Garden, NY

My Morning Jacket @ MSG - 12/14/2011 - setlist
(word for word from excited message boarders)

VD
Circuital
Beats 4 U
First Light
I'm Amazed
Wonderful (w/ BOH lead singer)
Steam Engine!!!!!
Outta My System
Dancefloors (with horn section)
Golden
Mahgeetah
Dondante (guest playing flute and keyboards; extended Carl sax)
Smokin' from Shootin'
RunThru into Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. II
Off The Record
Extended Jam of Gideon closing first set

Bermuda Highway to start the encore - Jim solo
Wordless Chorus
Day is Coming
Cover - The Bottle (1974, Brian Jackson and Gill Scott-Heron, composers; Brian Jackson on flute)
BLACK METAL with horns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OBH
BOH coming on stage for more....
I'll Be Home For Christmas
----

Great show from MMJ. I hope they play smaller venue next time but I can't ask anymore from this band.....every time I see them, they always bring it!

Next stop: Coachella 2012:)

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 9:51 AM

Ok, so, the guy with his dick out in the West GA section. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 9:51 AM

show. was. sick

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 9:55 AM

Incredible show.

Posted by Mark Bao | December 15, 2011 9:57 AM

for anyone who went to both msg shows:

new years eve 08 > 12/14/11?

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 9:58 AM

smaller venue? ive only seen them at northsix and mercury lounge before...and bowery opening for ben kweller.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:02 AM

Amazing show! last night over new years eve but only because the band keeps getting better with each passing year.

@9:51 - Did he really have his dick out? I thought he was just shirtless and tripping his balls off. He seemed to be annoying the shit out of everyone around him.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:02 AM

sp 404 = worse than nickelback

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:02 AM

1002 but those shows happened almost 10 years ago.....guess you never saw them again after "Z" record.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:07 AM

1007...youre right...not because they got huge...i was happy for them and always knew it. i just couldnt stand the new direction they went on. i cant even listen to them anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:09 AM

10:02. yeah he did. Pants were falling off and there was a huge hole in the front of his boxers. Pretty hilarious actually.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:14 AM

STEAM ENGINE!!! Sick.

Posted by tremags | December 15, 2011 10:16 AM

These guys are the future of Classic Rock Radio.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:17 AM

10:14...was he packing?

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:23 AM

"but only because the band keeps getting better with each passing year."

LOL

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:23 AM

What a show. Them covering Gil Scott Heron's "The Bottle" made my year.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:25 AM

NYE trumped last night IMO. I mean, last night was definitely a great show but NYE was longer and featured a shit ton of awesome covers. Look (and listen) at the setlist from that show: http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2008-12-31

Also, the NYE show intermission featured the speech from the "Little Dictator" which whipped the crown into a frenzy.

Posted by Jimmy | December 15, 2011 10:26 AM

Great Rock Band

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:27 AM

Ugh. This show was fucking unreal.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:30 AM

HIPPIES

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:32 AM

1023 - your ignorance makes me LOL!

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:39 AM

I love the "hate their new direction" sort of people.

Posted by JJGG | December 15, 2011 10:54 AM

Am I the only person who's noticed that Jim James is perhaps one of the WORST LYRICISTS alive? Really fucking poor songwriting. Those lyrics to "Z" are absolutely terrible. The reference to Madonna's "Express Yourself" is only the pinnacle on an album full of lyrical injuries. Read a book, dude.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 10:54 AM

I am sitting here paitently waiting for someone to bad mouth this band or this show.... The best rock and roll band of our generation HANDS DOWN

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:04 AM

10:54: It's music. You listen to it and you feel it. You don't read it. Only you and Pitchfork give a shit about lyrics

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:05 AM

Great show, but the crowd, as expected, sort of blew. Has there ever been a non-douchey crowd at an arena show? I was at the front of the East GA, and I was getting jealous of people in the 100-level who were spared the awful fratty beardos.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:07 AM

WHAT A GREAT SHOW!

Posted by Regina | December 15, 2011 11:09 AM

Why would one need to read a book to be a good songwriter? With a grasp of language... emotion, experience and memories will lend itself to powerful song composition. Jim might not be one of the all time greats, but he is good enough to create some great music.

Further, he (and MMJ) are appreciated by an ever expanding list of other fantastic artists who seem to love to listen or play with them.. so dude must be doing something right.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:13 AM

crosby

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:13 AM

"1023 - your ignorance makes me LOL!"

im a fan. i've seen them every year for the past few years including their late night set at bonnaroo in 06, nye msg 08, and sasquatch 10. they are not getting better and frankly the show is starting to bore me, just my opinion

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:24 AM

Who let that hippy in the Bowery lounge?

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:35 AM

11:04 - Best band? Hmmm. I guess you had to be there. Oh, I was. Maybe in Top 500 Bands...

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:35 AM

on the whole, last night was fucking outstanding. such a treat to have boh as an opener, i go see them when they headline, so this was a total score. mmj, as usual, came with guns blazing and never let up. nice selection of tunes, would have liked to see a couple more older cuts, but i'm not complaining. the gil scott heron cover was not expected, but was sick. i was lucky enough to have ga west and was pleasantly surprised at how uncrowded it was. they didn't oversell that section at all, unless scalpers bought those tix and couldn't unload them. it was very comfortable with plenty of room to rock out, dance, almost fall over and spill your beer, etc.

good times!

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:36 AM

@11:05 -- well said.

Also, steam engine was ridiculous

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:39 AM

@11:35 Name 5 better bands, I am very curious. Youth Lagoon? Neon Indian?

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:43 AM

buzzbands rule MMJ drools

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:45 AM

This band has had the biggest impact on my life. Much like Radiohead, they continuously change their sound. MMJ has made me appreciate country (Tennessee Fire), folk (At Dawn), southern rock (It Still Moves), and modern stadium rock (the last 3 albums). Every album is great (even Evil Urges). This band will continue to strive and will have longevity in their career.

Due to finals I was not able to make this show, but I'm sure they really brought it. I have never seen a bad MMJ show, and I doubt I ever will.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:45 AM

Everyone was on their feet and rockin'. Great show!

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:51 AM

"Due to finals I was not able to make this show, but I'm sure they really brought it"

I really hope this is a new BV meme for 2k12.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:55 AM

11:43 You must have a lot of confidence in MMJ - you're putting them up against Youth Lagoon & Neon Indian? Set the bar high. Best of that group, yes, for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:55 AM

1155 i think you missed the point...

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:59 AM

I want to fuck Josh Moore's hair.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:59 AM

"And to you all of Jim James naysayers...get a life. This man is a true musician. He can sing, play guitar, and write great songs. He is able to play great rock anthems and slow pretty folk songs. This is a feat that most musicians are not able to accomplish."

Ummmm...not really. There are literally THOUSANDS of guitar players out there that can do the same thing. I hope he used that bomb to blow himself the fuck up for the encore so I can stop having people tell me how good this mediocre, bland, unoriginal and uninspired band is.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 12:06 PM

please clue me in to an "inspired,"j original band

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 12:10 PM

Dave Grohl hanging in the Bowery Lounge!

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 12:17 PM

"unoriginal"
bwahahahaahhaaaaaaa

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 12:51 PM

the show was so awesome... my balls are still tingling.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 1:19 PM

MMJ show last night was the best ever

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 1:24 PM

i had some reservations about seeing a band at MSG, but the band was great, the sound was very good, the sight lines were better than expected, the crowd needed some assistance though...Jim James is a vampire.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 1:42 PM

1:19 ftw

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 1:44 PM

Whenever I ejaculate I say, "mahgeetah."

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 1:58 PM

Say what you will about arena shows, but I'd wager that most of the seats at MSG actually have better sightlines and better sound than at T5. Unless you're up in the 400s (which it looked like those sections weren't even sold) the vast majority of people probably had a better time at this show than if MMJ had decided to do another run at T5. My 2 cents at least.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 2:02 PM

this was my 9th time seeing the band in the last 18 months and I can honestly say that last night, they brought it the hardest that I have ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 2:08 PM

great show, those who shit on it have grave problems ... they have so much material now, that all i can think of are the former staples they didn't play ... anytime, lay low, i will sing you songs, the way that he sings, evelyn, evil urges ... would have loved to hear 'you wanna freak out,' too ,, oh well, it's not a complaint, they are still the best live act touring right now, arena rock gods ...

Posted by pierre | December 15, 2011 2:21 PM

MSG is infinitely better than T5.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 2:30 PM

Even though I hate MSG and laugh at all these arena rock god comments I went last night. Having seen the band many times over the years in smaller places was much better but what are you gonna do.
Left the show with great feelings but then this morning I took a huge shit that literally almost ripped my asshole in two and now my feelings are mixed

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 2:34 PM

What, no Whipping Post? Their fucking loosing it, man.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 2:38 PM

Bwahahaha > 2:30 may be the most clueless fuck on this whole blog, and that's saying something < bwahahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 2:39 PM

Jim James' voice is so soothing it makes Enya sound like a Russian couple arguing at a bowling alley.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 2:47 PM

T5 is so punk.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 2:50 PM

Been said on here many times. Comparing T5 and MSG is the same as comparing McDonalds and Burger King. They are both shit and suck.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 2:58 PM

I agree with 2:30. I'd take MSG over T5 every day of the week. That is the worst fucking music venue I've ever been to.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 3:04 PM

I agree MSG for the win....

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 3:13 PM

MSG is good, but only if you are on the floor. I don't know why people bother buying tickets in the 200+ sections.

T5 just sucks. Sound system is crap.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 3:22 PM

They both suck plain and simple.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 3:31 PM

msg ftw - signed

Phish in 2 weeks! so pumped!

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 3:31 PM

I thought they sounded "tired" at points ... Like drained.

And there was a point when the Gtr/sax player stepped up for a solo and totally bit it...it was early in the set. His solo totally fizzled out into a blues whimper...The lights probably screwed him up...but I remember looking at my my and we just laughed without having to explain... Because we'd both been in that situation before

Regardless...t was a really great night. So glad I was able to go.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 3:39 PM

the best show ever

Posted by marissa gutierrez | December 15, 2011 3:45 PM

"sounding tired" could also have been slowing down to conform to a click track btw

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 3:48 PM

tired like the lead singer of the national?

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 4:11 PM

video of the guy in the crowd dancing half naked during Off The Record. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQRPNQN6L6k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 6:07 PM

11:04

your generation? twenty-somethings? MMJ is the best you got?

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 6:11 PM

You had all better get a new father figure

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 7:22 PM

They put on a killer show last night. Sound felt a bit muddy, certainly didn't do BOH any justice, and it made MMJ's already unintelligible lyrics even harder to understand.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 9:51 PM

MSG blows for shows. If you don't know this self-evident fact, you should stop smoking all that crystal meth before you go there.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2011 11:25 PM

That singer guy looks like he has VIP status at Old Country Buffet. He needs a good shave too. This band makes me wanna barf. If singer guy wore clothes that actually fit him, I might be able to handle this. I bet he has a small dong...

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2011 10:10 AM

I've always said it, and I'll say it again here - That is one cracker jack band name! I rate it up with Three Doors Down and Coldplay. Oh, and of course Band Of Horses as well. Good show on the band name guys!

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2011 10:34 AM

Whatever, dorks. Tool is going to melt my face off at the Izod Center on 2/1

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2011 10:45 AM

How is the east ga section? Is it packed? Never seen that layout at msg and have those tix to a future show.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2011 1:40 PM

This was my dream show, but being from chicago could not make it. Having boh open for MMJ was my wish for Christmas - seriously.
MMJ is probably the best band I have ever seen (6 times) and I'm 51 and have seen Zeppelin, U2,Talking Heads, Neil Young, the Who, Roxy Music, Blake Shelton, REM, Aerosmith etc...I could go on, but suffice it to say I've seen alot. Jim and company kick it good.

Posted by patti | December 16, 2011 4:06 PM

the ga east section is meh. west is much better. i'd probably prefer close 100-level seats to ga east, personally.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2011 4:28 PM

You fucks actually like this music? It's really not good, you know. And to put up with MSG? Wow, you are some dumb mother fuckers.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2011 4:36 PM

Beautiful pictures. Reminds me of the energy of such an amazing show.

Posted by everythingwehear.com | December 18, 2011 10:37 AM

Nothing like someone who doesn't like a band yet feels compelled to explore the comments section from one of their shows. This was a great MMJ show, though I continue to be amazed at how many people sleep on their opening act for this night, Band of Horses. Their set was soaring, emotional, and beautiful, as are most of their shows. MMJ was at their raw, rocking best and had a good mix of old and new along with an interesting cover. I've had enough of Tyrone, so to hear them do a GSH was dope. My 11th MMJ show, 5th BOH and this was def top 3 for both, even despite what I feel is truly a subpar concert venue. Great arena, but not the best for this kind of music/show. Still, awesome. What an early holiday treat.

Posted by flems | December 19, 2011 11:29 AM

^ I see this in comment threads all the time, and it's annoying: "so why did you click on it if you don't like it". Basically you're declaring that you're only interested in hearing opinions that agree with yours, and everyone else doesn't have the right to comment. Sounds pretty boring to me.

Posted by Dave | December 19, 2011 11:43 AM