Posted in SXSW | music | tour dates on December 7, 2011

by Bill Pearis

The Wedding Present @ South Street Seaport 2011 (more by Chris LaPutt)

Three pieces of exciting news from Wedding Present HQ. 1) The band will put their eighth album, Valentina, out in March 2012; 2) they will tour North America around the same time, starting in Austin for SXSW, and then NYC for stops at The Bell House on March 21 (onsale Fri 12/9) and Le Poisson Rouge on March 22 (no on-sale date yet); and most excitingly for longtime fans, the tour will also celebrate the 21st anniversary of their 1991 album Seamonsters which will be played in full.

Consensus among Weddoes devotees is that Seamonsters is the band's best album. I'd agree with that and go on to say Seamonsters is one of the best albums of the '90s and is maybe the greatest loud/quiet/loud record ever. Said the AV Club the LP's entry in their retired Permanent Records series:

One of those collections that demands to be listened to in its entirety, Seamonsters explores Gedge's one true passion: the opposite sex. As potentially hazardous as that sounds, his songs explore relationships from every angle, though most of the album's glorious moments crawl on the underbelly: "Dalliance" vacillates between angsty guitars and lyrics about longing; "Dare" chugs along, desperate for an illicit affair with a friend who's fighting with her lover; and "Suck" is about as sexy as Gedge dares get, using the titular double-entendre to maximum effect.

And that's just the first three songs. Seamonsters offers 10 perfect miniaturizations of love gone right, wrong, and so-wrong-it's-right, all couched in dense guitars that say as much as the words. It's the first (and only) time Gedge refused to give himself and his fans a breather, and that's probably why it's widely considered his masterpiece. (Be warned, though: The disc has been reissued countless times, with excellent bonus tracks that don't quite fit the mood.)

The Steve Albini-recorded album still sounds great today. (Why yes, it is on Spotify.) While touring your most acclaimed album while promoting a new record is a bit odd, the chance to hear Seamonsters in its entirety is a draw enough and anyone who saw any of 2011's Bizzaro shows knows David Gedge still has the fire in his arm to power the LP's intensity. And the new songs they were playing last year sounded good. Win win.

All Wedding Present 2011 tour dates are below.

Wedding Present - 2012 North American Tour Dates
14-17/03 : Austin, TX, USA - 'South By Southwest' Music Festival [Actual appearances TBC]
20/03 : Washington, DC, USA - Rock And Roll Hotel with The Jet Age

I'M EXCITED

Posted by Me | December 7, 2011 2:28 PM

what

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 2:37 PM

douche chips!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 2:40 PM

Hearing Seamonsters will be great, but the stuff he has been doing after Take Fountain is pretty bad. And let's hope that big group of old british dudes that follow them around stay home this time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 2:45 PM

^I'm going to walk out after the first note is played.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 2:47 PM

seamehnsters

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 3:13 PM

remember when they played at south street seaport? that was fun.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 3:40 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 3:47 PM

The material for their new record is truly excellent, and rocks the way I'd hoped El Rey would. I hope the unbeatable majesty of Seamonsters won't obscure the fact that they've made another great record to accompany it on your shelf/iPod/computer thing.

Posted by Jet Age Eric | December 7, 2011 4:55 PM

Bell House sucks for loud bands. This is really unfortunate.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 4:58 PM

@4:55 - I don't know, the new stuff they played on the last tour was pretty bad. Musically they were fine, but the lyrics made me cringe.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 5:12 PM

Gedge had the hottest guitar tech at the Seaport show...

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 5:15 PM

Got my tickets for NYC. Can't wait to see them again..Seamonsters is a fantastic record.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2011 5:27 PM

@5:12, since I already know the lyrics will be about an affair :P I tend to concentrate on the tunes, esp. live. They've really got a ton of great songs ready to go. I can't speak to whether you'll like the lyrics, but I think the new music is very reminsicent of the material on Hit Parade II (I'm invoking insider status here)--there's an energy that's been missing from the last two.

@5:15, Jessica will be tech-ing again on this tour (she's David's girlfriend and is a vital cog in TWP machine).

Posted by Jet Age Eric | December 8, 2011 9:44 AM

@JetAgeEric - nice to see an actual informative post on a BV thread. Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2011 10:06 AM

@10:06, what can I say? I'm an iconoclast. :) (And a huge TWP fan.)

Posted by Jet Age Eric | December 8, 2011 12:40 PM

i can't wait until 2015 for the watusi tour!

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2011 2:41 PM

Bell House sucks for loud bands. This is really unfortunate.

Posted by Classifieds | February 7, 2012 1:37 PM

Posted by ghdtyb | March 9, 2012 8:15 PM

Anyone know set times?

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:11 AM

Interesting to see the Wedding Present. I haven't kept up since Watusi (saw that show at 9:30 Club in D.C. when it was on F St. sometime in the early to mid 1990s) - so the several new songs played tonight were lost on me. We were younger then and it shows. It's hard to compete with the masterpiece that is the record Seamonsters - and that showed too - I felt the Wedding Present tonight were a parody of themselves. The lineup is certainly different. The opening band was an assault on the ears - I had to remove myself until they were done. All in all, sort of a pleasant experience sort of not. The venue was OK. They also performed My Favorite Dress (sung and gestured as if William Shatner), and for the encore, Don't Talk Just Kiss. Nice to hear those, only some of the songs from Seamonsters tonight were convincing (perhaps Carolyn, Heather, Suck, and Octopussy).

I hoped to hear Box Elder, She's My Best Friend, Boing, and No Christmas.

Posted by Special Monkey | March 23, 2012 12:53 AM

I like the wedding present.

Posted by jordon | August 10, 2013 7:18 PM

Obviously interesting to read, This post you have made here could not be written any better! Thank you for sharing

Posted by inflora | October 15, 2013 3:50 AM