Posted in metal | music | stolen gear on January 24, 2012

by BBG

The offending shirt (left) with the offended party (right) (more Bastard Noise photos)
Eric Wood of Man Is The Bastard

Eric Wood doesn't like Akron/Family too much, judging by his comment that band is "SCAB FUCKING MAGGOTS !" The Man Is The Bastard/Bastard Noise/Charred Remains honcho recently discovered the above shirt design (on sale now) that blatantly takes the MiTB/BN skull logo and adds Crass-style typography. Eric Wood has not taken this lightly, asking his fans to attack the group on their Facebook page. Wood himself has also taken to their Facebook page, though his comments have been deleted/disabled.

O.K. TO ALL OF YOU AMAZING REAL "SKULL SERVANTS" : SOMETHING JUST HAPPENED TO THE AKRON FAMILY group page - COMMENTING HAS BEEN DISABLED SO SOMEONE SAW IT ALL !!! I LOVE YOU ALL ! THANK YOU so very much !!!!
Check out screenshots of some of Eric Woods (classic) comments on Akron/Family below. So far Akron Family, who just played 285 Kent, have not officially responded.

UPDATE: Akron/Family bassist and Istreal Lawrence are talking.

Eric Wood of Man Is The Bastard

Eric Wood of Man Is The Bastard

Sounds like Eric Wood comments here on BV too.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 9:52 AM

hehe

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 9:56 AM

It is the exact same skull . . .

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 9:56 AM

These T-shirt wars are absurd!

Akron Family > MiTB

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 9:58 AM

There is a difference between homage and ripping someone off. This is ripping someone off.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:03 AM

Akron/Family is the Kim Dotcom of indie merch

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:05 AM

WTF....I dont see any resemblance to the Black Flag bars ??

Posted by blag the hot shot | January 24, 2012 10:08 AM

So what about those Joy Division shirts Disney is selling?

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:08 AM

T-shirt wars = Music News 2012

Posted by Robin | January 24, 2012 10:08 AM

This reaction (bombing people's Facebook pages) is total bullshit on Woods' part. I see tons of band t-shirts (or CD covers, etc) with borrowed logos or a part of the design that was completely taken from another source. I've never seen anyone complain like this before. Sometimes it's satire, sometimes it's just something they just happened to Google so it's out there, who knows. It's not like it affects Bastard Noise's ability to sell their own t-shirts.

Posted by Dave | January 24, 2012 10:11 AM

Ha ha Hipster Throwdown - OK, guys, no scratching, no hair pulling, no spitting, basically don't be a bitch. You can do it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:13 AM

if this dude really wanted to do something constructive, he might have considered something a bit more professional and mature than hurling childish insults at a/f via public posts on facebook. i mean, how old is this guy, 14? he just comes off looking like an idiot, honestly.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:16 AM

Being accused of theft is a big deal... I was once wrongly accused. Let me explain:
So I was at my buddys house smoking some weed playing OK Computer just chilling out getting deep. And then those munchies started creeping in so my buddy went to the local bodega to get some baby carrots and hummus. While he was gone, I sat on his sofa and vibed out to the sweet sweet sounds of Karma police. When he returned, he put the hummus and baby carrots on the kitchen table and went into his bedroom to change his clothes. And when he returned out he started screaming. The fucking hummus was GONE! He started calling me all sorts of names and accusing me of stealing the Sabra! But I swear it wasn't me. We ended up brawling and even a nearby lamp fell and crashed. Where this hummus went, neither of us will ever know, but I didn't steal it. I am not a hummus theif!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:18 AM

"I am not a hummus theif!"

Choke on a chickpea, d!ckface!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:21 AM

^ EPIC FAIL

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:21 AM

What comes around, goes around. He jacked the CRASS style, and now someone jacked "his" style. Boo hoo.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:21 AM

There are rumors flying of a bearded man that's been stealing hummus all around the N. Williamsburg area. The local cops are referring to him as "The Hummus Bandit". He is probably to blame.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:28 AM

January 24, 2012 10:13 AM - Nothing says 'out of touch' like calling Eric Wood a hipster. Way to go bro.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:29 AM

"Hipster throwdown?"
Dude, stay off the internet until you figure certain things out.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:32 AM

I suspect I once fell victim to this "Hummus Bandit" myself. I was down at Oasis on Bedford and ordered up a side order, and when I went into the bathroom to wash my hands, it appeared one of the pita triangles was missing and a rather large "scoopy dip" appeared on the top layer. I was pissed. I F*cking hate that Hummus Bandit!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:35 AM

It's a fucking t-shirt for Christ's sake.

Posted by Gorbert | January 24, 2012 10:36 AM

I was down at the local precinct to report a recent hummus theft, and the detective showed me a composite sketch of what they thought this so called "Hummus Bandit" looked like, and there was a rather strong resemblance to James Murphy wearing a fake beard.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:38 AM

10:16 writes...

Yeah this guy goes to the BV message board to hurl his childish insults. The only real way to do it!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:42 AM

"Dude, stay off the internet until you figure certain things out"

Dude, you should have ended it in college when your boyfriend outed you to your "friends". You are clearly serving no useful purpose in carrying on.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:46 AM

does anyone on here even know eric or the music or ideas behind MITB/BN? it is their skull, not the crass type imagery that was ripped off. it isnt a commonly seen type skull and it is obvious that this band ripped the logo off. they just need to give credit or ask him, thats all. i agree though that bombing their fb page is childish but whatever.

cue hummus sausage 7 1/2 inches jokes

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:46 AM

I have scummy looking long hair and shitty sideburns. I see lots of other people with scummy looking long hair and shitty sideburns. THEY STOLE MY LOOK

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:47 AM

those akron hippies messed with the wrong bastard

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:48 AM

"cue hummus sausage 7 1/2 inches jokes"

^ this talk of the "Hummus Bandit" is NOT a joke. I'm all nervous now. I'm gonna see if there is a way I can padlock my fridge when I leave for work later. I'm getting anxiety.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:51 AM

Yeah... It's all fun and games until somebody steals your hummus. Then you ain't laughing. Nope, not at all. I sure hope they catch him soon.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:53 AM

Stupid hosebags. It's a fucking SKULL. "You stole my skull!!" Yeah, a really original skull too. Totally unique from the millions of other bands who have a skull. Idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:53 AM

well, now i just want one of those shirts.

Posted by Synonymous | January 24, 2012 10:55 AM

Enough with the hummus jokes, this is serious! Men are quarreling over t-shirts here!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 10:56 AM

I hope Eric Wood hits them with a lawsuit and then with his bass..

Man Is The Bastard is better than Jesus!!

Akron Family is Typical unoriginal hipster tripe..

Posted by J | January 24, 2012 10:59 AM

Y'all better hide your pita triangles... It's almost lunch time suckers.

Posted by The Hummus Bandit. | January 24, 2012 11:04 AM

Wood took the skull from a library book and "flipped it" to make it his, anyway - not such a flawless strategy.

"I went to a library, found the skull in some medical journal, flipped it, made all the fonts super bold and brutal, and that was it"

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:10 AM

akron family are awful. they used to play with gira in angels of light though, so I doubt they're completely unfamiliar with wood's work. It may have been intended as an homage, but I would have asked before aping the logo of a band/project that still exists. Wood is awesome, as always.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:10 AM

Did 10:21 just suggest that MITB borrowed imagery from Crass?

Akron/Family uses the military stenciling for the same picture, so MITB borrows from Crass by transitive property. DERP

10:53 - it's a very specific skull that you don't see used outside of other hardcore bands who want to pay homage to MITB. Eric Wood is a little too hurt over this but I'll be entertained FWIW.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:11 AM

Has this so called "Hummus Bandit" been active only in North Wburg? I recently moved to Bushwick and am considering organizing a neighborhood watch. If my hummus gets stolen, I will not be a happy man.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:14 AM

i could care lees about either band, but eric wood sounds like a 12 year old bitch.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:17 AM

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:17 AM

Eric-Make them eat some Gourmet Pez..

Posted by J | January 24, 2012 11:20 AM

"Akron Family is Typical unoriginal hipster tripe"

You may not like their music, but your statement could not be further from the truth. Have you actually ever listened to Akron Family? Do you realize that they continually experiment and alter the direction of their sound with each album? Unoriginal? Not so much as your uninformed comment...A-hole!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:21 AM

"akron family are awful. they used to play with gira in angels of light though..."

You have been taste in musicianship than Michael Gira?? Go F yourself, moron!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:23 AM

Love the band, but please, close down 285 Kent. That place is a dump.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:24 AM

They should tour together and split profits from the shirt sales

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:36 AM

the Pope is coming after Bad Religion...the cross isn't theirs to merchandise

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:36 AM

I wonder why the hoards of Bastard Noise followers haven't shown up to bomb this thread yet.

"You stole our thing which we stole first! We will now bomb you with our fat-tats and greasy sideburns!"

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:41 AM

I wonder why the hoards of hummus eaters havent expressed their hatred for this Scurge of society people are referring to as "the hummus bandit"

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:44 AM

He stole the Crass logo and is pissed someone stole his?

Posted by Imean | January 24, 2012 11:45 AM

OMG. i just saw a suspicious bearded man running down bedford avenue and it appeared there was an olive oil stain on his jacket. I am not 100% certain if he was this notorious "Hummus Bandit" but its making me fearful for the safety of my sabra stash.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:51 AM

i bought the "so it goes" tshirt in the spring bc it's ridiculously soft and i'm a huge fan of kurt vonnegut (and akron/family of course). i honestly don't care where the design comes from. everything derives from something else. eric needs to adapt or get out of music.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:55 AM

Vonnegut > Akron Fam > (everything else) > Eric Wood's teen angst

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:01 PM

11:17 - I'm guessing that you COULDN'T care less about both the bands and your grammar.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:11 PM

wow this is the first time anybody has given a shit about akron family in 10 years

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:17 PM

Hahaha! Who cares?? I like mitb so much less now and I dont even like Akron family. What a bitch this guy is. Move oN.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:24 PM

Whoah.....nigger..

Wait what

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:29 PM

I wonder where MITB got that skull image originally and if some anthropology professor/author somewhere would be freaking out on Woods's FB if anyone outside of a very small group of people even knew who MITB was...

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:31 PM

I really think the skull theme is kinda played out anyway. Get with the times, put an image of a robust hummus platter on your t-shirt... That would be way more bad ass.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:32 PM

"SUCK THE DICK OF A CAR!" - Eric Wood on Scion records.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:45 PM

I COULDN'T CARE ANY LESS ABOUT ERIC WOODS. DIG MY GRAMMAR.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:47 PM

"YOU STOLE OUR LAND" - Native Americans

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 12:58 PM

GET IT STRAIGHT DIPSHITS....

*Akron family used the STENCIL LETTERING IN A CIRCLE which was a COMMON FONT DESIGN WIDELY USED BY THE BAND CRASS!!!!!

*MITB have used that same skull image for what 20 or more years now?

*The SKULL THAT ERIC WOOD HAS USED FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS OR SO, that same skull that has been synonymous with Man is the Bastard, Bastard Noise and ALL THING ERIC WOOD for all these years.... Has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CRASS!!!!!!

If you ask me, this is most likely an homage, but a poorly executed and poorly thought out one. For one thing, mitb and crass are completely unrelated except for the fact that shit tons of crusties, punks and yes, HIPSTERS, still have records by both bands in their collections. So what is akron families' intention here? "Look we were hardcore once too!!!!!" .... Is all that this shirt design screams to me.

Sure eric took it from a book at the library and then totally made it his FORTHE PAST 20 OR MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!

Its not stealing, its not a good homage... ITS JUST CHEESY, POSEURISH AND LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!!!

And I happen to not mind akron families music, although ido think they had a hand in ruining Angels of Light.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 1:03 PM

Its a picture of a skull for crying out loud. I haven't seen one of those before :-/

What a fucking dumb-ass. By the looks of the photo, he's the one with the mule dick in his mouth.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 1:14 PM

both bands have stinky punk/hippy followers. take a shower you fucks, or steal one

Posted by chamfles bigote | January 24, 2012 1:20 PM

LOVE EVERYONE!

Posted by hesher | January 24, 2012 1:21 PM

MitB/BN >>>>>> AF

Posted by Crom | January 24, 2012 1:28 PM

skull servants = nazis

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 1:34 PM

10:18 needs to learn how to punch himself in the face.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 1:36 PM

HEY< I DIED IN THE 1883 from the FLU, and then my skull was photographed and put in that science book. NOBODY asked me! THEN THIS WEIRDO from POMONA puts my FUCKING HEAD on like 208 different split 7" with AGATHOCLES, and CROSSED OUT etc... WTF MAN! It is MY FUCKING SKULL!!! He NEVER asked ME!!! WATTA DICK!??!!!

THEN! This other band is LIKE, yo, that shit is DOPE. IMMA gonna steal that!

PLEASE STOP USING MY SKULL!!! LET ME DIE ALREADY!!

Posted by Skull Owner | January 24, 2012 1:43 PM

old man yells at cloud

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 1:45 PM

what the band did has been done a thousand times in metal and punk, sort of picked an undeserving band to do it, but Eric Wood is seriously just a cry baby about everything. Like that shit he pulled after MDF, dumb. Like who gives a shit? You gonna take these dudes to court over your "intellectual property" for liking your band? Very punk.

Posted by anonymous | January 24, 2012 1:48 PM

I grew up in Akron, and I want to sue Akron/Family for sucking so bad and making a shitty town look even shittier. FUCK EM.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 1:52 PM

"He stole our blackroot." -Madmartigan

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 2:00 PM

This is why MITB and Bastard Noise is not punk. "Mayonnaise the Bastard!!!"

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 2:03 PM

so basically this dude is pissed that someone else used a graphic that he also used without permission from a medical journal years back? shut the fuck up unless you're the one who actually concepted and/or created your "logo". idiot.

Posted by kristofer | January 24, 2012 2:10 PM

hopefully akron family gt into a head on collision with a semi while on tour and burn to death inside.

Posted by johnny | January 24, 2012 2:28 PM

I invented mankind and made them in my likeness and now someone is using my creation as a fucking t shirt. Stop stealing from my creation.
-God

Posted by GOD | January 24, 2012 2:37 PM

War against the dicks is all we can respect.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 2:40 PM

I originally told Eric Wood about Akron Family using THE skull image over a year ago on one of their LP covers. They have used it since on various merch and other releases - rather blatantly - they were fools to think they wouldn't eventually FACE THE WRATH of the head Neanderthal Eric "skull pope" Wood himself. So they had it coming...

Posted by Andorkappen | January 24, 2012 2:42 PM

oooooohhhhh, "The wrath of Eric Wood". You're such a dork.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 2:53 PM

Watch out Woods, Woodsman, Woods of Ypres, The Wood Brothers, Ron Wood, MMW, and the estate of Woody Guthrie....Eric is comin' for ya AND HE'S PISSED!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 2:57 PM

In a word - WHO???????

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 2:59 PM

Has anyone looked at Akron/Family's wikipedia page? It's amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 3:09 PM

From A/F wiki page:
Akron/Family are a bunch of uncreative hipsters. A screwdriver in the urethra of Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 3:10 PM

more like Man is the Whiner amirite?!

Posted by Jerry Bluth | January 24, 2012 3:28 PM

I'ma come after you for that t-shirt in just a minute. But first, let me suck off this microphone

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 3:48 PM

under 30 = automatic hipster born to scavenge and not innovate. Your generation sucks and is completely useless and devoid of value to greater humanity. Mandatory sterilizations should commence. Girl pants, hipsters, white belts - murder them all!

Posted by Randall Watkins | January 24, 2012 4:00 PM

Vonnegut = dead
Crass = dead
Bastard Noise is still around. Woof!

but eff all that ess:

SEMEN IN THE EYE SOCKET OF AKRON/FAMILY!

Posted by FromBehindTrees | January 24, 2012 4:08 PM

FUCKING CRACKERS!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 4:17 PM

Devastatingly witty comment from Bastard Noise fan on Brooklyn Vegan: "You're all hipsters with white belts and girl pants"

Posted by Dave | January 24, 2012 4:25 PM

LOL when white people get mad they sue each other
Ya need to learn about the method of the cream pie to the face

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 4:31 PM

hope everyone in akron family gets gang raped with broken bottles and dies slowly from the bloodloss from their shredded rectums.

Posted by maersk | January 24, 2012 4:55 PM

shut the fuck up you stupid nigger.

Posted by hermann goering | January 24, 2012 5:05 PM

WHITE POWER

Posted by ERIC WOOD | January 24, 2012 5:50 PM

"FUCK ALL YOUR SHOWS"
Dude is the best.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 6:03 PM

Well, at least this whole thing has shown us that MITB fans are pretty a classy group.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 6:34 PM

Man Is The Bastard Coachella 2013.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 8:26 PM

bitching about property and ownership of art is punk as fuck.

Posted by deeznuttsisthebastard | January 24, 2012 10:19 PM

4:55 & 5:05 need to be taken out back and drawn and quartered.

"I'm on the internet so better act like a big tough guy so people are afraid of me."

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:11 PM

Am I the only one who thinks the shirts are meta as fuck? "So it goes" seems to accurately reflect the whole situation.

Awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:16 PM

What's with the "white belts" comments? People pretty much stopped wearing them in the 90s. Can't we move on to, like, "handlebar moustaches" or something? It's 2012!

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:44 PM

lol @ ppl having hanglebar mustaches in 2012

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 2:56 PM

hanglebar? what are you, a fuckwit? (yes, I have one).
is this a band time to mention, I haven't seen my guacamole recently....

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 8:10 PM

Do a search for "Man is the bastard hello kitty shirt." And I thought they seemed like hypocrites before.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 8:11 PM

Do a google search for 'dumb prick never heard of Discordance Axis'

Posted by the hummus bandit | January 25, 2012 8:31 PM

MITB/BN is and has always been one of the hardest working DIY bands in history. FUCK AKRON/FAMILY and their worthless hipster fanbase for shelling out $20 for a t-shirt that is blatantly cheapening the legacy of MITB. Any band that charges $20 for a shirt clearly doesn't care about their fanbase.

WEEKEND WARRIOR URBAN OUTFITTER FUCKS SHOULD ALL BE SHOT!

Posted by Dan Harrington - PATAC Records | January 25, 2012 8:51 PM

It's just a skull. On a shirt.

Someone needs to tell Eric Wood that if people are buying the shirt, they're doing it to promote the band. Not the skull.

Hss this guy ever heard of Warhol? Pop Art? Appropriation? Clip Art? Re-contextualizing found images?

Seriously Wood, be honest and face reality: how many people IN THE ENTIRE WORLD would get the reference of your band or the skull?

Loser. Get a life.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 10:11 PM

Akron Family also "stole" the Gratefull Deads lightning bolt. Not for lack of creativity but as a way pay tribute to an influence. Wood is acting like a bitch. He should go on a date with Lars.

Posted by Babbs | January 26, 2012 4:53 AM

I found this online, I think Akron Cunts are actually gonna die at the hands of eric now... http://i41.tinypic.com/c4w04.jpg

Posted by JAY | January 26, 2012 6:16 PM

I'm back on the streets... Y'all better watch your chickpea mashes.

Posted by The hummus bandit | March 16, 2012 1:59 PM

Thanks a lot for this amazing post. Really amazing!

Posted by handbag coach | September 14, 2012 4:04 AM

Eric Wood is a whiny prick. He just made himself look like a damn child blowing up on their fucking FACEBOOK page.

Posted by Matt | September 28, 2012 10:49 AM

I just read the entire comments section on mushrooms AND listening to Akron/Family. It was like a horrible soundtrack to the funniest shit I've ever read. This is the greatest thing ever.

Posted by WOWOWOWOOWW | October 11, 2012 2:25 PM

Eric, you didn't invent the fucking Totenkopf. STFU already.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2013 2:09 PM

And Akron/Family music fucking SUCKS DICK. Throne Is Melting FTW.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2013 2:21 PM

"Intellectual property" is sooo 20th century.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2013 7:02 PM

Pillsbury X Hard Core

they stole the poppin fresh guy for their shit, not 27 years later it happens all over.

karma is a female dog.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2013 11:16 PM

this is good on bass! is a genius when it comes down! I love it!

Posted by Acompanhantes Campinas | April 22, 2013 9:50 PM