Posted in music on January 3, 2012

Esme

Esme Barrera, well known the Austin music scene, was tragically murdered on New Year's Eve/Day in her Austin home. Tributes and benefit announcements are quickly increasing in number online including tweets by the likes of Ted Leo, Okkervil River, Ringo Deathstarr, YACHT, and Centro-Matic. Even Matador's Gerard Cosloy wrote a blog post about her...

"There's not a shred of hyperbole in my voice when I tell you such a party would've been sorely lacking without Esme's presence. As will all future parties, because in the early hours of Sunday morning, she was killed just blocks away from the venue where she and so many others who loved her to bits were ringing the new year."
On Thursday, January 12th, Permanent Wave is holding a benefit in her honor at
Big Snow Buffalo Lodge (89 Varet St Bk NY 11206, Bushwick, NY) with Kelli Scarr, Golden Ghost is in town, Jo Schornikow (The Shivers), and Shannon Barnett. You can also make a donation in her name to Girls Rock Camp Austin where she volunteered.

Rest in Peace Esme.

I loved Esme with all of my heart I will miss her so much

Posted by Leroy torres | January 3, 2012 6:50 PM

I didn't even know her, but I've been reading about this all day and it's just heartbreaking. She sounds like an amazing person.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 6:56 PM

This website shouldn't bother posting about deaths. It never ends up being a nice reminder or celebration of life (despite the intentions), it just inevitably devolves into people saying dickheaded and insensitive things.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 7:03 PM

Thanks for this. She was loved. Dickhead comments don't scare me. (but your right, for the record)

Posted by bryan schmitz | January 3, 2012 7:18 PM

Ain't nobody got a single dickheaded thing to say about Esme, She was the best of the best

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 7:28 PM

Esme was bright & shining soul, & Austin's family of friends is lost without her.

Posted by Darin | January 3, 2012 7:32 PM

i did not know the is actually a bv austin

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 7:34 PM

Choke on a bag of dicks, 7:03.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 7:40 PM

@7:34 was your New Year's resolution to be more insensitive?

What is wrong with someone who would harm/kill such a beautiful hearted person.

Posted by Peter | January 3, 2012 7:43 PM

& if anyone has dickhead comments to make, they should image one of their best friends murdered in cold blood, cause that is what we are dealing with here in Austin.

Posted by Darin | January 3, 2012 7:44 PM

RIP. All our prays.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 8:08 PM

will there be justice??

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 8:09 PM

Sad to hear. How was she involved in the music scene?

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 9:03 PM

This is so horrifying. My heart goes out to Esme's family and friends.

9:03, She was a Girls Rock Camp volunteer and worked at a record store according to this: http://www.thelmagazine.com/TheMeasure/archives/2012/01/03/austin-grieves-the-loss-of-murdered-rock-camp-counselor-esme-barrera

Posted by | January 3, 2012 9:33 PM

Thanks so much, BV. Every little bit helps. The killer is still on the loose in one of Austin's supposed safest neighborhoods--packed with families and young college students who are definitely not aware of their surroundings. No suspects yet. It's tragic.

Posted by Karen Little | January 3, 2012 9:37 PM

i didn't know her either but reading reposts of some of the wonderfully written tributes everywhere (hopefully the funeral costs get covered by this) has made me tear up and i dont easily do so. she sounds like an amazing person who had a big impact. it clearly has shaken the whole music community of Austin and is a sad reminder of the fragility of life. hope they catch the scum before he strikes again.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 9:51 PM

Respect.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | January 4, 2012 4:09 AM

This is so sad. A beautiful woman inside and out.
I hope all of her friends and family are ok, love to all of them.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 10:06 AM

i can barely even start to get my head around this.

Posted by joshua case | January 4, 2012 11:16 AM

Find the scum who did this and shoot him on site.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 11:16 AM

11:16 sounds like our FOX News troll.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 11:35 AM

Austin lost such a brilliant person. Not only did she support local indie music, she also working with young girls aspiring to be musicians. The neighborhood in which she was found is just north of the University of Texas and I have been on the same street several times. The culprit needs to be found before more people are harmed.

Rest in peace Esme. You were one of a kind.

Posted by retaenart | January 4, 2012 3:27 PM

11:35...must be a passive, pussy coward. Because one believes in swift justice doesn't always mean that person is conservative/republican or whatever you were trying to say by throwing FOX news in your silly post. Yeah, instead, lets find the guy and sentence him to life so he can eat three meals a day and have an air conditioned cell that the people's taxes pay for. Or get off on a technicality so he can go and do this again to someone else. I hope you lose your Mother or Daughter to a piece of trash, waste of life and still have the conviction to spout your rhetoric. God, you're fucking stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 7:52 AM

Unfortunately, I did not know Esme she sounds like she was a wonderful person.To everyone leaving comments please take into consideration that her family could be reading these and I doubt they care for your personal attacks on each other, as a father of three daughters I hope the person responsible is caught and justly punished.I would like to send my condolences to friends and family members.

R.I.P. Esme

Posted by Anthony | January 5, 2012 10:26 AM

Anthony, you have class.

I didn't know her either, but have friends and connections to folks who do.

Her family and friends were blessed to have known her, and may they find comfort and heal over time.

Posted by Highwayman | January 5, 2012 10:59 PM

Hi there, You have done a great job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this web site.

Posted by jocuri | August 31, 2012 7:06 AM