Posted in music | pictures on January 3, 2012

photos by Andrew St. Clair

Gogol Bordello

Gogol Bordello played Terminal 5 on December 30th and 31st, ringing in the new year to a packed house on both nights after hitting Russia and its neighbors in the weeks prior. The Debo Band, hand-picked by Gogol Bordello, supported at both shows. Here are some pictures and video from the New Year's Eve celebration. They continue below....

Gogol Bordello

Gogol Bordello at Terminal 5 (first 10 minutes of the show)

No pictures of the rights grab you had to sign to photograph? Lame

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 12:25 PM

If it is true that there was a rights grab, it should not have been signed. I think all concert photographers need to have some balls, and be willing to walk away from a show without shooting it. As soon as one person signs it, your days of even having a slim chance of making any cash as a concert photographer are over.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 12:32 PM

Joe Torre pic 7, cyndi lauper pic 30. The stars really came out for this one

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 12:43 PM

I hate to break it to you, but those days have been over for some time.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 12:48 PM

What the fuck are you people talking about? Like we need more pics of GB, paid for or not.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 12:56 PM

They had gotten rid of the rights grab, but brought it back for these two shows. A lot of people walked, I guess BV's photog chose not to. Shame...

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 1:14 PM

Here's why I signed it. According to the website, it was supposed to be "8pm Doors - 9pm Show" when it was actually 9pm Doors. This, btw, isn't the first time that this has happened to me at a Bowery Presents show). So by the time doors opened, me and my +1 had been standing outside for nearly an hour and a half to get in.

So, once the box office finally opened, and I was handed the rights grab to sign, I just wanted to get inside and have a drink. I just said 'fuck it' and signed it. Mostly because it was NYE, and I didn't want to screw up my NYE plans for me and my friend.

For the record, had I know there was a rights grab, I most likely would have pitched another show.

Posted by Andrew St. Clair | January 3, 2012 1:48 PM

what does rights grab mean exactly? that another entity (bowery presents? gogol bordello?) owns the pictures Andrew St Clair took? Does Andrew have to send them the pictures afterwards? Do they split the ownership? Or does Andrew lose the rights completely? Whatever it is, does not sound very fair.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 1:58 PM

It's when a band takes advantage of photographers by not allowing them the rights of the photos they take. Sometimes (like with Foo Fighters) they require the master images after the show. Generally reserved for artists with their heads up their rear. (i.e. queens of the stone age, matchbox 20, jimmy eat world)

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 2:04 PM

Debo Band>Gogol Bordello

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 2:25 PM

The opener was Debo Band, not "The Debo Band," or "The Dobo Band," as listed above the photos, which are great, by the way. Amazing show!

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 2:55 PM

I'm sorry. I can't take any band with a violin seriously.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 3:24 PM

This band is for teenagers who like to pretend they have interesting and worldly music taste.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 3:49 PM

^^sounds like a personal problem.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 3:50 PM

Fair enough Andrew. I was supposed to shoot the first show and got screwed around by PR, and ended up not going. Glad I didn't as I would've walked anyway, but I can understand not wanting to ruin your NYE plans

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 3:55 PM

@1:58 - The band owns ALL the rights. They can turn around and put one on a poster/album cover/whatever or even sell them to magazine shots and the photographer won't see a dime, and possibly not get photo credit according to some contracts

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 4:00 PM

You should have signed the rights grab, taken your free tickets and then taken one photo with Hipstimatic and called it a night. And yes I am being serious, if they can do it for a Pati Smith show then fuck GB and let them deal with wasting tickets for one photo. Maybe they will get the hint.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 5:36 PM

So, this is still a thing?

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 10:34 PM