Posted in music on January 3, 2012

Rhino

Bradenton native Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt, the guitarist and songwriter who joined Iron Butterfly in 1971, has died.

Reinhardt joined Iron Butterfly after stints in bands with Dicky Betts and Berry Oakley before they joined The Allman Brothers Band.

According to friends and family members who posted to Reinhardt's facebook page, he died at around 6 p.m. on Monday. He was 63.

According to reports, Reinhardt went into the hospital last week with an infection and was moved into Intensive Care on Sunday. He was on life support for a short time, but was taken off based on an advanced medical directive, or living will. -[Sarasota Patch]

R.I.P. Rhino! Celebrate some of Rhino's musical achievements, including the under-appreciated Captain Beyond, below.

Iron Butterfly - Butterfly Bleu [1971]

Iron Butterfly - Easy Rider (Mike Pinera) Live 1971

Captain Beyond Live 1972

Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless

RIP, you were rockin.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 6:50 PM

First Captain Beyond LP is one of the greatest records of all time! RIP Rhino!

Posted by anonymous | January 3, 2012 7:05 PM

iron butterfly ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 7:16 PM

Horrible news..very upsetting..

Posted by Jim | January 3, 2012 7:16 PM

Captain Beyond was/ still is a favorite

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 7:23 PM

inna godda davida

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 7:31 PM

Captain Beyond still blows my mind...some of the finest hard space rock ever played

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 10:58 PM

Horrible news. RIP Rhino.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2012 11:57 PM

Iron Butterfly was great

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 12:58 AM

I was watching a behind the music on Iron Butterfly once, and it said one of the members started researching light speed travel and advanced physics, and then he just disappeared. I thought that was nuts!

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 9:32 AM

I knew and played with Rhino from 1968 until his passing. He and I were in bands called Bittersweet-1968, The Load-1968-1969, The Second Coming-1969 and finally Blue Swamp starting in the mid 2000's. I'll be releasing the Blue Swamp project this year. Some of his best songwriting and guitar work is on this. He is one of the greatest southern rock, psychedelic blues rock guitarist of all time. He is up there with Hendrix, Clapton, Duane Allman, Stevie Ray and all the rest. Be watching for his work. RIP my brother, Richard Hombre Price

Posted by Richard Hombre Price | January 4, 2012 4:43 PM

Sad news........RIP Larry Rhino
Captain Beyond was the best.
Rod will be bummed of this news and hit the wine........

Posted by Steve Foster | January 9, 2012 2:54 PM

I was the ONLY drummer for Iron Butterfly from 1980 - 1984 inclusive,(which for those who don't understand all the nuances of the English language, means for A FULL FIVE YEARS!!) We toured the U.S. and Canada repeatedly for that entire time, yet I get no published credit for that wonderful endeavor. The band personel for that time span was: Lee Dorman, Bass, Ryno, Guitar, John Leimseider, Keyboards, Kenny Suarez, Percussion & Spot Drums, and myself, Jimi Image, Drums. During that time, Larry and myself developed a friend ship that was both on and off the road. We worked on a lot of things, some of them not particularily band related, including my introducing him to his wife, Julie. And I have something to give to all of you out there that Ryno would like me to relate to you: It's "N.R.I.P. R.H.S!!" (Who got it?)
NEVER REST IN PEACE! RAISE HELL SOMEWHERE!!! A sentiment Larry and I shared completely! Here's to you, kid!!

Posted by Jimi Image | January 19, 2012 4:24 AM

Sad news, his work on Iron Butterfly’s “Metamorphosis” and Captian Beyond were legendary.

Posted by oldaze | May 14, 2012 5:22 PM