Posted in music on January 9, 2012

by Andrew Sacher

The Shins at Terminal 5 in 2009 (more by Natasha Ryan)
The Shins

The Shins are back and will release their fourth album, Port of Morrow on March 20 via Aural Apothecary/Columbia Records. According to a press release, the album "was recorded in Los Angeles and Portland over the course of 2011 with James Mercer as usual handling all songwriting duties, lead vocals and the majority of instrumentation. The album was produced by Greg Kurstin and mixed by Rich Costey." You can pre-order a number of album packages from The Shins' website, including the deluxe audiophile pack which comes with a reel-to-reel tape of the album. The artwork and tracklist is below.

The Shins just revealed their first song from the album (!) and its a new-wavey track called "Simple Song," which you can stream below, along with the single's artwork.

They'll be touring in support of the album this spring with a lineup including Yuuki Matthews (bass), Jessica Dobson (guitar), Richard Swift (keyboards) and Joe Plummer (drums). A few West Coast dates were revealed, which are listed below.

All dates, artwork and tracklist below...

The Shins - "Simple Song"

"Simple Song"

The Shins -- 2012 Tour Dates
04-13 Las Vegas, NV - Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas - The Pool
04-22 Santa Cruz, CA - Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium
04-23 Davis, CA - Robert Mondavi Center
04-25 Reno, NV - Grand Sierra Resort & Casino

Tags: Shins

jesus christ. whatever. this isn't relevant music and don't pretend it is

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 2:46 PM

look up the word relevant

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 2:48 PM

go back to sleep.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 2:49 PM

Reel-to-reel? Egads.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 2:49 PM

Psyched for new Shins! Can't wait to listen

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 3:01 PM

I'm assuming a Radio City and/or Summerstage date coming soon!

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 3:01 PM

Before I listen to it, did it change your life?

A) If yes, I'll listen
B) It not, pass

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 3:03 PM

"I'm assuming a Radio City and/or Summerstage date coming soon!"

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 3:03 PM

You really don't have to try so hard....you are perfect just the way you are.

Posted by Burg | January 9, 2012 3:09 PM

Mercer should just release some solo albums. This is not The Shins.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 3:38 PM

Song is kinda good, not life changing, but good. They will probably do T5.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 3:42 PM

As much as I love their first two records, The Shins have not excited me for a long time now and Mercer seems like a dick (he dumped the label that launched him & all his bandmates he grew up with)
The Shins seem more like some big money investment than a creative force at this point.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 3:42 PM

All you haters just need to meet Natalie Portman. Look at her cute lil helmet. She has epilepsy.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 4:06 PM

"fuck you. make sure you spend $40 on it through ticketmaster because you deserve it. let the starbucks door hit you on the way out."

Hey there! I'm the dude who posted that statement you responded to. I actually live about a 10 min walk from the Mercury Lounge box office so, since I assume they'll be using Bowery Presents, I'll just buy my ticket there (no service fees). Oh, and I actually don't drink coffee (weird, huh?) so there will not be any Starbucks door hitting me on the way out. Any other questions?

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 4:08 PM

^^^ yeah, who had the best album of 2011, bon iver or fleet foxes? also, how much of your expensive rent on ludlow do you support by yourself?

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 4:37 PM

Hi, I'm the awesome dude who speculated about the Shins show at Rumsey Playfield and/or Radio City. I enjoyed both Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes in 2011 but I think neither of them had the "best" album of 2011 in all honesty.

As for my "expensive" rent, I support it all myself since I am a 28-year-old working man. I live on Thompson St. actually (between Bleecker and Houston) and can walk to Mercury Lounge in about 15 min or so. Does this help answer your question?

-Awesome Dude

Posted by Awesome Dude | January 9, 2012 4:49 PM

i saw the shins at siren and lollapalooza. they suck.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 5:06 PM

-Gay Dude

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 5:08 PM

Hi, I'm the awesome dude who speculated about the Shins show at Rumsey Playfield and/or Radio City. I thought Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes honestly killed it in 2011, and I purchased both of their vinyl record LPs at Urban Outfitters.

I live on Thompson St. actually (between Bleecker and Houston) and pay a ludicrous amount for a very small apartment in Manhattan. I can also give you my address because I'm dumb enough to get caught up in a brooklynvegan comment thread and give away where I live, because it's "real, man." Does this help answer your question?

- John Norris fan

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 5:22 PM

John Norris Fan,

Yes, because clearly giving away a populated intersection as to where you live COMPLETELY gives away the exact location as to where your reside. Funny you mention John Norris though, he actually goes to my gym and wears a purple bandana.

Also, thank you for attempting to stereotype me. I actually have never bought a thing from American Apparel. However, if you have any suggestions as to where it's "acceptable" to shop, I'd be happy to hear.

Posted by Awesome Dude | January 9, 2012 5:27 PM

5:08,

Also, I'm sorry you're not clever enough to make your own joke and have to just resort to the instant homophobic remark of adding "-gay dude" to the end. I must admit, I laughed a little bit though (not because it was funny, but because you clearly aren't clever enough to come up with anything else).

-Awesome Dude

Posted by Awesome Dude | January 9, 2012 5:31 PM

I personally found the "gay dude" remark very, very enjoyable.

-Hip Dad

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 6:02 PM

But I'm done here. I really need to dig in to my new Neutral Milk Hotel box set and the Dum Dum Girls album my daughter bought me. She goes to NYU, which coincidentally is where I met my wife (who HATES The Shins).

-Hip Dad

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 6:05 PM

Kurt Loder > Norris Sucks

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 6:16 PM

I am interested in this news. I make 70k a year and enjoy sausage dipped in hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2012 11:19 PM

this (like the last album) sounds like it was executive-produced by a rogue protools filter.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2012 10:59 AM