Posted in music | tour dates on January 22, 2012

by BBG

DOWNLOAD: Black Bananas - "Rad Times" (MP3)

Black Bananas
Black Bananas

Jennifer Herrema soldiered on with RTX following the demise of Royal Trux on 2001. Now RTX has evolved into Black Bananas, who are welcoming their debut LP Rad Times Xpress IV via Drag City on 1/31. Art below.

Here's how Black Bananas was described in a recent press release:

"Black Bananas is set for the next all-inclusive rock and roll crusade, the one that includes even and especially all the shit you don't like, woven into all the shit you can't live without. This has been the name of Jennifer's game from day one; she owns the blueprints and if you don't know by now, don't even bother to Google it, cuz understanding is an investment not an action. Jennifer Herrema is not schizophrenic nor does she don many hats. She is simply a singer and simultaneously, a pioneer of comprehensive non-exclusive opposition rock, and Black Bananas is the latest addition to the oeuvre."
Why do I have a headache all of a sudden? Check out "Rad Times" from the LP above and a video album teaser below.

Black Bananas will celebrate Rad Times Express IV with an LA release party, followed by a string of dates supporting Sleigh Bells. Those dates include the now-sold-out Terminal 5 on February 17th. Full tour schedule, the album art and that album teaser below.

Black Bananas "Rad Times Xpress IV" Promotional video

Black Bananas

BLACK BANANAS - 2012 TOUR DATES
Feb 02 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo #
Feb 16 Washington DC @ 9:30 Club*
Feb 17 New York, NY @ Terminal 5*
Feb 18 Toronto, ON @ Phoenix *
Feb 21 Los Angeles, CA @ Mayan Theater*
Feb 23 San Francisco, CA @ Regency Ballroom*
Feb 24 Seattle, WA @ Showbox at Market*
# = RECORD RELEASE SHOW w/ Pink Mountaintops, Ariel Pink DJ Set
* = w/ Sleigh Bells

How has Jennifer Herrema managed not to OD in the past decade or so?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2012 10:11 PM

"RTX are now Black Bananas"

What kind of person would name their band Black Bananas?

"touring w/ Sleigh Bells"

Oh. That makes sense now.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2012 10:42 PM

You forgot the "Those dates include the now-sold-out Terminal 5 on February 17th."

I am very curious as to what bit of shenanigans Bowery pulled off to even try to claim 3000 plus tickets were sold for this piece of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2012 10:53 PM

they sound like chromeo now

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2012 11:03 PM

giants goin to Super Bowl!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2012 11:04 PM

^Yeah i'm skeptical. Good to know that the by light years superior Howling Hex played to abouy 35 people at the Cake Shop in June.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2012 11:04 PM

Neil was the talented one in Royal Trux.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2012 11:21 PM

^oh, no doubt. He's still the most talented guy going.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2012 11:24 PM

38 year old girl bartenders with bangs are STOKED

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2012 11:56 PM

Jen's cool, but she should stick with the fashion, and not so much with the music.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 12:01 AM

If you go to this show, you are officially the most hurting person ever

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 8:16 AM

I'm surprised, even with only 11 (now 12) comments, that there haven't been any black dick jokes yet.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 9:19 AM

11:56 FTW

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 10:16 AM

So bad. I'd love to see Hagerty's reaction upon hearing this crappy song. At least she stopped soiling Royal Trux's good name by ditching RTX.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 1:04 PM

OMG!! why do all 3 of u anonymous haters even bother? Jennifer deserves to have all of the best! What have any of u done to help change the world? BTW I read that Neil Hagerty "Really Like Jennifer's new record"

Posted by Robert | January 23, 2012 4:47 PM

Haaaaa "stop soiling the Royal Trux name"!!!?? Royal Trux was her band and she rules! So typical for people to be upset that someone who has done and given so much is doing incredibly well. Seriously Lame. To quote Jennifer and theTrux from the song "Teeth" " The city's ripe - Jealousy and spite never really make you strong, you've got to get the proper bite on the information coming along"

Posted by janelle | January 23, 2012 5:03 PM

I agree with 10:16. 11:56 go fuk yourself and take note of Jennifer's lyrics that janelle (5:03) posted

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 5:22 PM

5:03 no way to know for sure, but after following their solo careers I'm convinced that 100% of Truck music and 90% of the lyrics came from Neil. He is just a lot more talented than Jennifer.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 5:27 PM

Jennifer is unbelievably talented and wrote more of the lyrics than Neil. Neil mentioned it in an old Trux interview. Jennifer graduated high school with a scholarship to the New School at the age of 16 (it's pretty weak to discount her) I wonder why u feel the need to pit them against each other? They are both seriously talented and the Trux would never have existed without BOTH of them but the howling hex has nothing in common with the Trux music. Does that tell u anything? Also you are not the only one that has followed their solo careers and the verdict is in; Hagerty is a shredder but it was Jennifer that made the Trux who they were....pick up a new copy of MOJO where Andrew Perry lets the world know this fact that

Posted by janelle | January 23, 2012 6:42 PM

WOW! 5:27 not sure how you can like the Trux and have so much disdain for Jennifer. I interviewed her 4 years ago and let me tell you; The girl is bright as the sun. Seriously bright. Why would your precious Hagerty even bother if she wasnt the shit?

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 6:52 PM

^you're nuts. Everything Neil has done post Trux has been fascinating. What little Jennifer has done musically, is forgettable. Last time she played NYC she was at the Knitting Factory falling all over herself, while a bunch of bros played hair metal badly behind her. I had to leave early. I didn't want to ruin my memories.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 6:55 PM

Jennifer may have written and published 320 songs since she was 15 but she's still younger than Cat Power (Chan) and half The Kills not to mention that she is not even 10 years older than every fuking band coming up that takes their inspiration from her work. The girl has made a huge difference in the landscape of music and it cant and shouldnt even try to be denied

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 7:01 PM

6:55 I agree about Neil's work being facinating...but that is besides the point. Memories? I dont know how many times you saw the Trux play but I saw them plenty and they went from Neil falling off the stage and cracking his skull (and i can assure you neither he nor Jennifer could give a fuk what u or I think) to some of the most brilliant live performances I have ever seen. The same has been true with RTX. The RTX records were all amazing!!! And in standard "trux" (Jennifer) style she made sure we were gonna get something unexpected and or unwanted by the "trux" fan base just to weed out the closed minded. She has always done that and I do not expect anything less from her.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 7:13 PM

^she lies about her age. There were Trux shows as early as '87. (one is actually on Youtube). Neil says he was born in '65 (which i believe). JH claims to be 39 years old now. So that would make her have been born in '72. So she was 14/15 dating a 22 year old? Doubt it. NH made fun of her on his blog once for lying about her age as well. And let's be real. JH isn't really musical. I guess she can sing, but that's about it. NH is one of the best guitarist out there, and has always been super prolific. I like JH but your historical revision is bogus.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 7:16 PM

She does not lie about her age. Neil is 7 years older than her always has been always will b. It is not my historical revision.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 7:24 PM

I agree that neil is a guitar god but jennifer is an amazing lyricist...two peas in a pod = trux. Jennifer moved to NYC when she was 16 btw

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 7:31 PM

I mean the proofs in the pudding. Here is a recent RTX show:

I mean if JH was going to go with hired guns, she could at least got some decent ones. This is terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 7:38 PM

Saw Royal Trux, loved Royal Trux.
Saw RTX, loved RTX.
Looking forward to seeing Black Bananas when they're not playing with Slay Balls.

If you don't see how much Jennifer has influenced so many bands, you're a fuckin' idiot. Jen is a legend and you're posting aninymously on BrooklynVegan. Call us when anyone cares about anything you've been a part of.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 7:44 PM

I guess we just agree to disagree. I like the vid

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2012 7:49 PM

There's a song off the new record called 'Acid Song' I can't quit listening to. It's hard to describe the sound - it's got this heavy metal alarm shit going on at first...then...it's almost a funk folk song about a first time LSD experience. I think.
I'm into it

Posted by od | January 23, 2012 7:55 PM

heroin is a hell of a drug

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 2:16 PM

If you don't know that Jennifer is a huge talent, then you probably never genuinely appreciated the Royal Trux. She is not a guitarist, but she is the center of what ever she does. I've met her once, and let me tell you... when she walks in a room you pay attention. I don't think any of your little rabbit hole comments would pop out of your mouth if she was sitting in front of you. I don't care how old she is or what her musical chops are, she is one of the most interesting artists of the last 25 years. Totally inhuman, changed my life.

Posted by Pat | January 24, 2012 3:29 PM

^she is a very talented fashion designer and an interesting visual artists. RTX/Black Bananas however suck. She seems like she is regressing. She used to come across as intelligent and articulate, but lately, she comes across as kind of a dumbass. Not sure what she thinks is cool about that.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 3:39 PM

"...the most hurting person ever"

What the fuck is this supposed to mean?

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 3:51 PM

Just shut up, we've heard it now… I think it's clear what you're up to.
"she is a very talented fashion designer and an interesting visual artists"
A total sexist, couldn't be more obvious at this point… get back in your rabbit hole.

Posted by Pat | January 24, 2012 7:41 PM

Truck were great. This sux. I blame LA.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 8:03 PM

Got the record today. Dark n dirty delivery!

Posted by cel | January 24, 2012 9:22 PM

8:03 yup lame LA shit. "So sic bro". :(

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2012 11:15 PM

awww.
Brooklyn 11:15 needs some sunshine.
I got brothers, don't need bros.
Go get another tattoo, it'll be okay.

Posted by t. manley hall | January 25, 2012 11:07 AM

I'm actually really impressed by Jennifer, I think a lot of people thought she wouldn't be able to do much without Mr. Hagerty. When I listen to both of their albums from the last ten years or so... I can't help but notice how capable and how motivated Jennifer comes off and how Neil Hagerty and his Hex come off so timid and directionless. I'm not saying all of Jennifer's albums are perfection but they are much better than I thought they would be. I had high hopes for Hagerty and he didn't deliver much of anything but I think Jennifer delivered. The new album sounds like it's got that edge and then some. The Royal Trux, are in another world though. The best band ever.

Posted by Nina | January 25, 2012 2:46 PM

Can you email me with some pointers on how you made your site look this awesome, I would appreciate it.

Posted by miniclip | August 31, 2012 4:05 AM

Neil Hagerty came up with the name "Royal Trux" as a 16 year old high school sophmore.

On the subject of age: Jennifer Herrema was born March 1, 1967. This is a fact and can be verified in public records for those who care enough to look. Sad that she has to lie about being younger, so obviously she cares more about what other people think of her than she wants her fanbase to think.

She also ghostwrites her own press releases.

Posted by Anonymous | December 10, 2012 6:44 PM